Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Skaven color scheme?

Skaven color scheme?

Hey guys, my brother and a couple friends finally made me cave in to Warhammer Fantasy and I have chosen Skaven as my race/faction. I noticed while doing a little research that almost every Skaven army that I see is painted red clothes and armor, with the occasional dirty green for select models. I was thinking about doing a color that isn't seen often on a Skaven army, but still looks good. Perhaps a deep purple, or maybe something like an acid green? I don't have any models yet to experiment, but I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions, or thoughts about trying something new? If I can't decide I will probably just do red because it still looks really good.

Re: Skaven color scheme?

Purple sounds good, though I would have suggested dark blue.

Truth to be told though, the official GW paintjob is more powerful than you'd imagine in terms of influencing people's image of an army which is why you usually see the same colors over and over, and if you paint them purple you may have to live with the questions if they are somehow related to Dark Elves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Games Workshop
    We have a simple strategy at Games Workshop. We make the best fantasy miniatures in the world and sell them globally at a profit and we intend to do this forever. [...] We know that [...] people who are interested in collecting fantasy miniatures will choose the best quality and be prepared to pay what they are worth. [...] We donít spend money on things we donít need, like [...] advertising that speaks to the mass market and not our small band of loyal followers.
    In case you ever wondered.

mine are primarly purple with red, green, grey, yellow, blue mixed in as an alternate colour on some models. Personally i think skaven work best with one main colour then a variety of others so that it looks horde but still is uniform.

Good question, AfA... I have forty clanrats with only the fur, armour and skin painted as I ponder this question. I was also considering purple as

a) It's not a colour I get an excuse to use very often
    b) I think purple will work well as a "warpstone" colour to tie the rats to the bell/forge
    c) Purple and green (for the PMs) might work well as being complementary colours (link

But I am an indecisive beast... don't suppose you fancy posting some pics when you've had a crack at one or two?

Hey guys, thanks for replying, I really appreciate it. I totally agree that Skaven need to look like a horde because they literally are one haha! Deep blue sounds pretty good too I will definitely consider it. As for the purple I may use that for my Grey Seer or any other magic Skaven I use, seems to me like it would be a good casting color.

I haven't seen a preponderance of red skaven armies, though I guess they've become a bit more common since the new armybook. I've seen all the colours on their clothes, my own army is pretty varied, though green, bone and dark brown are colours cropping up all over, tying it together. Personally I wouldn't use blue, as I think a skaven army should be really dirty, something which blue is too rich for.

Depends on the type of blue.
    We have a simple strategy at Games Workshop. We make the best fantasy miniatures in the world and sell them globally at a profit and we intend to do this forever. [...] We know that [...] people who are interested in collecting fantasy miniatures will choose the best quality and be prepared to pay what they are worth. [...] We donít spend money on things we donít need, like [...] advertising that speaks to the mass market and not our small band of loyal followers.

For your assassins and gutter runners you should go with dark greens and blues as these colours would blend in with the darkness better than black does. Black is too black for natural darkness.

THE \/ince
    Duke of the Alabaster Legion
    Keeper of the Hearth of Night
    Quote Originally Posted by Manta View Post
    Argh! You're always right Vinush!
    Vinush's updated Empire Army

Resurrected Vampire Counts Army - 7/0/1

Veteran Sergeant Warhammer Madman's Avatar

The colour scheme also depends on what baseing you will be doing...

I have a mucky yellow as my major coulour and base my army as if they were in a rocky desert (as aposed to the sandy type) looks good in large numbers and is easy to paint!

anouther exsample is my dwarfs I use calmer blues (ultramarines and shadow) and darker shades but its lifted by the snowy bases...

Good luck painting your skaven!
    Quote Originally Posted by Foegnasher View Post
    this one will ethier kill everyone or blow itself up.

Purple and green does sound pretty cool, seeing those colors on the color wheel you posted made me like that idea even more. I will post some pictures for you guys here once I get my chance to start painting my armies, but I have not purchased them yet as I am considering taking the academy course at my local games workshop because I have no prior experience on painting things, especially as small and detailed as warhammer figures. I also probably have to consider the fact that my brother will probably make "Splinter" jokes about any Skaven I may paint purple lmao! I also really like the idea of the mucky yellow you suggested Warhammer Madman. I only hope my army will end up looking as good as the ideas I am forming in my head!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SPILNTERLOL.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	86909  

Banned

And he would be in his good right, as GWs ratmen came after TMNT - but they're waay cooler

Go for it. I'm doing purple and green and it looks great. My army is a mix of Pestilens and Skryre, and my Clanrats, Stormvermin and Skryre stuff is purple with green trim while my Pestilens stuff is green with purple trim. I use P3 Beaten Purple as a basecoat and Citadel Warlock Purple mixed with Beaten Purple as a highlight, usually in 3 layers with more Warlock Purple in each layer. For green I simply go Dark Angels Green -> Snot Green in 3-4 layers.
    "Insanity! Insanity! What kind of war are we fighting?"
    -Marshal Edric Croe, on hearing the news from Vannick

Right - I'm biting the (warpstone) bullet too and heading to my local GWS to pick up some paints. I've decided to go with dirty white, but I'm going to add a very light tinge of purple to the washes.

Photos by the end of the week.

As promised, first "purple" clan rat up here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...10#post4581610

Have done first layer in liche:blood red 5:1, but may try scab or gore for next one.
    Last edited by CaptainFaramir; 16-04-2010 at 20:37.

Very nice. Not a big fan of skaven (too much fur for my liking!) but that model looks stunning mate.

Good work.

THE \/ince
    Duke of the Alabaster Legion
    Keeper of the Hearth of Night
    Quote Originally Posted by Manta View Post
    Argh! You're always right Vinush!
    Vinush's updated Empire Army

Resurrected Vampire Counts Army - 7/0/1

albino. White with pink ears and eyes

Alright, I tinkered a bit with your Clanrat in the name of this thread to illustrate the different examples. I hope you don't mind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0178a.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	268.5 KB 
ID:	87095   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0178b.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	273.5 KB 
ID:	87096   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0178c.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	266.2 KB 
ID:	87097   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0178d.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	258.3 KB 
ID:	87098  
    Last edited by Ultimate Life Form; 17-04-2010 at 02:40.

@Vince. Many thanks. *shucks*

@Ultimate Life Form

1) I will obviously waive my moral and copyright in light of such obvious fair use (if only other institutions which we shall not name were so giving)

2) You ****-*******. I got up early this morning to paint another ten clanrats in purple... but I am think the green (with dirty brown wash) looks amazing! Grrr... I suppose I'll just have to save it for the Plague Monks.

3) What software allows you to tinker so? I'd love to be able to do that (it would massively help with mz indecisiveness on colour schemes and speed up my painting process tenfold).

Moved to M,P&T.
    "The Lost- they return?"
    "Aye, my Lord. For good or ill, the were-kin shall once more stalk the domains of Man."
    Please read the posting guidelines. Really.

RIP Jon Wilson/Brimstone. 1967-2009

If you can please donate to Jon's Gift of Hope Fund in aid of the British Heart Foundation

The software I use may be a bit expensive to get for just that use, but I suppose there will also be programs for download somewhere that may allow for this, though I don't expect every generic photoshopping tool to come with this function. I simply made a color swap (the same as my Avatar by the way).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast