Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: History of the Tycho miniature.

History of the Tycho miniature.

Hi there,

someone just claimed that this guy (the one in the right, obviously ), the BA Captain we all know, used to be sold as Brother-Captain Erasmus Tycho before the character got his own, currently known mini in 2nd edition. The guy mentioned WD166 (p.51). Can anybody confirm this and possibly back this up with links? Or, if someone has that WD issue, could you please have a look for me?

thanks

In the darkest nightmares of anybody who grew up in the eighties

Re: History of the Tycho miniature.

I definitely remember buying that old model as Tycho. Can't remember which WD it was in, but pretty sure I have it somewhere. In the unlikely event someone doesn't answer way sooner I'll get up in the loft and find out.

Thanks muchly. Eventhough the guy mentioned a specific WD issue as well as page, I just thought I'd better check with the vast combined knowledge of the Warseer elders.

AFAIR Tycho was a name of generic Blood Angels captain who appeared in WD battle report, was using this mini and got killed by Weirdboy attack. Then he got made into special character in Codex:Angels of Death and a mini we know was made for him.
    I thought I was elitist. Then my wife said she's willing to enter 40k, but she wants a Squat army .

Banned

Yes, thats Tycho alright.

I bought him many, many years ago and replaced the barrel of his bolter with an assault cannon for a laugh. He even won me a painting competition once!

Riiiight, I'm beginning to see a pattern there... Looks like that guy was right after all.

@Sir_Turalyon: Wait, I think I remember that battle report even and being confuzzled that they called that guy Tycho. I think it was in the 40k Battles book...

Chapter Master

While I don't have WD 166, I do have a couple of other issues from that era. In 139 I found an article about the painting of the studio's Blood Angels army, in which that Captain is indeed called Tycho.

Of course, there was a time when GW gave every model a name, even if it was just a generic character or even trooper in the game.

Edit: I just remembered the 40K Battles compilation too. The book doesn't say what issue the report's taken from, but it's the one where he gets killed (in the first turn!) by a plucky Weirdboy named Oddgit. The Ork army also included Mad Doc Grotsnik, as a regular Painboy. And Warboss Magrot, represented by the Ghazghkull miniature, just to confuse things further.
    Last edited by Shadowheart; 10-05-2010 at 12:13.

I certianly remember him as Tycho as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-pope View Post
    [i] Necrons can never be Ultramarines, nevertheless they will aspire to the standards and teachings of the great Primarch

According to my (not very detailed) research on t'internet, White Dwarf 166 was released in October 1993. Stuff of Legends has that model listed as 'Blood Angels Captain' (070268/3) in the 1991 Citadel Mitiatures Catalogue (under 'Marine Commanders').

It did get a stint as tycho, it did start as a BA commander thou, then renamed to tycho, then renamed back when the new tycho came out.

Alright then, thanks for clearing that one up guys. You learn something new every day I guess.

That original model was always sold as a blood angels captain. Someone named him Tycho in a battle report where he got killed by a weirdboy. Later, the Tycho figure came out, and that was basically a dressed up version of the original blood angel captain sculpt.

IIRC, the first appearance of that guy was in the catalogue pages of White Dwarf 133 (along with an Ultramarine*, Dark Angel, Space Wolf and 2 generic captains). They just sort of appeared - there was nothing in the body of the magazine about them as new releases. Like Shadowheart says, he was named as Captain Tycho in the article on painting the studio army, and the gold armour was based on the unnamed dude on the cover of WD 133.

The battle report that created his backstory was the first battle report for 2nd edition 40K, Bridge of Death fromWD 167. In that, he was killed by a psychic attack from the Ork wierdboy, which was then spun into his disfigurement and subsequent hatred of Orks.

The 2nd edition 40K box set was set on Armageddon during the tail end of the 2nd war. I can't remember if the fluff in it mentioned Tycho by name.

* I've seen that Ultramarine captain subsequently named as Sicarius, but he was always officially unnamed.
    Last edited by AndrewGPaul; 10-05-2010 at 16:14.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewGPaul View Post
    IIRC, the first appearance of that guy was in the catalogue pages of White Dwarf 133 (along with an Ultramarine*, Dark Angel, Space Wolf and 2 generic captains). They just sort of appeared - there was nothing in the body of the magazine about them as new releases. Like Shadowheart says, he was named as Captain Tycho in the article on painting the studio army, and the gold armour was based on the unnamed dude on the cover of WD 133.

The battle report that created his backstory was the first battle report for 2nd edition 40K, Bridge of Death fromWD 167. In that, he was killed by a psychic attack from the Ork wierdboy, which was then spun into his disfigurement and subsequent hatred of Orks.
    Uhm, actually it was the battle report "Angels of Death", in WD 166!

"Bridge of Death" was Ultramarines and Blood Angels vs. Orks and it used a lot of miniatures from the 2nd ed. boxed set, but it was NOT the battle in which Tycho was psy-blasted (the infamous face battle wound).

Oops, my mistake.

Chapter Master FabricatorGeneralMike's Avatar

The battle report was between Andy Chambers ( with beard and long hair in his pic) & Jervis J (again with long hair and dark glasses). I personally think the summery at the end was the best, JJ going on about how 'e wuz robbd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombot View Post
    You call yourself FabricatorGeneral, yet you cannot clone yourself?

Strike deserved. Clearly you lied on your CV.
    Proud member of J.A.D.E.D. thanks Harry

Quote Originally Posted by rabblerouser View Post
    That original model was always sold as a blood angels captain. Someone named him Tycho in a battle report where he got killed by a weirdboy. Later, the Tycho figure came out, and that was basically a dressed up version of the original blood angel captain sculpt.
    Correct.

The WD 166 battle report featuring Andy Chambers (blood Angels) vs. Jervis Johnson (Orks) was where Tycho got his moniker and his history. He was leading a combat squad through some jungle terrain when he was fried by the weirdboy Oddgit in the first turn of an Assassination battle...

Though the Blood Angels lost their captain in the first turn, they managed to scrape out a win mostly due to the prowess of the dreadnought "Furioso" who melted the weirdboy with his multimelta, and proceeded to smash much of the Orks right flank.

Much of the Ork army fluff was taken from the Ere we Go! and Freebooterz books, and much of the Blood Angels fluff from that report still survives as cannon to this day.

And I still miss Andy Chambers.
    I've never typed the word crotch more in a single day. This is my magnum opus. -mooze

I'm holding that very miniature in my hand. It was one of the first marines I ever bought. The tab on his feet has 'Tycho' sculpted onto it. I do recall that it was sold as 'blood angel captain' though, but it was always intended as Tycho.

Unless of course they changed the tab on his feet, but that seems unlikely.
    ToFP PLOG http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...37#post7281537

Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    I... umm... will ban you!
    No wonder that you thought 2nd ed 40K sucked. You weren't even playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramius4 View Post
    I'm holding that very miniature in my hand. It was one of the first marines I ever bought. The tab on his feet has 'Tycho' sculpted onto it. I do recall that it was sold as 'blood angel captain' though, but it was always intended as Tycho.

Unless of course they changed the tab on his feet, but that seems unlikely.
    As far back as I can remember the mini has always been Tycho, but the history of Erasmus Tycho as we know it today was written in that battle report.

I think Tycho originated in rogue trader era white dwarf, but did not include a pre-history of deeds before that battle report featured him. Before that battle report, he was simply Blood Angels captain Tycho, sculpted to fit with the artwork John Blanche and Wayne Gallagher did for the range.

Tycho is the first model I painted as a centerpiece, i still have him in his original colors today, done in the heavy metal style of Mike McVey... NNM circa 1990s
    I've never typed the word crotch more in a single day. This is my magnum opus. -mooze

Quote Originally Posted by TheDilz View Post
    As far back as I can remember the mini has always been Tycho, but the history of Erasmus Tycho as we know it today was written in that battle report.

I think Tycho originated in rogue trader era white dwarf, but did not include a pre-history of deeds before that battle report featured him. Before that battle report, he was simply Blood Angels captain Tycho, sculpted to fit with the artwork John Blanche and Wayne Gallagher did for the range.

Tycho is the first model I painted as a centerpiece, i still have him in his original colors today, done in the heavy metal style of Mike McVey... NNM circa 1990s
    I'm not sure about the Rogue Trader era WD as his origin, although I do know about the battle report against the Orks. I just paged through it a couple of weeks ago as a matter of fact.

Tycho along with my first Tactical squad sergeant "Ramius" were the first miniatures I tried doing as centerpieces as well. I too did NMM (very very badly I might add). I look back now and they're terrible paintjobs, but I won't repaint them. I have way too much nostalgia for those two.
    ToFP PLOG http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...37#post7281537

Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    I... umm... will ban you!
    No wonder that you thought 2nd ed 40K sucked. You weren't even playing it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast