Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Want to start Warmachine/Hordes? Look Here! General Q&A Also!

Re: Want to start Warmachine/Hordes? Look Here! General Q&A Also!

I'm making the switch to focus on WarmaHordes. Right now I have the Khador Battle Box and one extra Warjack box (don't recall which one right now). The main book and the Khador book. What I've noticed from a few demos and playtests is that Khador seems too similar to my last force (Bretonnians). Big armour, low power hits. I know Warmachine is a lot more customizable, and I do like the Russian shtick, but before I get too far in, I thought I might want to rexamine my commitment.

I'm not a fantastic tactician, and like something I can play a bit by the seat of my pants. I enjoy winning, don't mind loosing, but like an army that is fast, furious and unpredictable. I'm not sure Khador is going to be the long term right fit for this. Any suggestions? As well, I love being able to field female figures.
    I reserve the right to change my opinion the moment I am proven wrong; that's called learning.

I don't play in tournaments, and don't think Warhammer/40k was designed for it. The game needs to function as a tabletop miniatures game, let tournament organizers fiddle with rules to make it work in those venues.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by arthurfallz View Post
    I'm not a fantastic tactician, and like something I can play a bit by the seat of my pants. I enjoy winning, don't mind loosing, but like an army that is fast, furious and unpredictable. I'm not sure Khador is going to be the long term right fit for this. Any suggestions? As well, I love being able to field female figures.
    Perhaps you should take a look at battlecollege.

1. Khador is not a 'jack faction.
    2. Khador is not (necessarily) a slow faction.
    3. Khador is not (necessarily) a melee faction.
    Khador has a variety of interesting styles. Take a look at doom reavers for 'furious and unpredictable,' kayazy eliminators for 'fast female.' Look at Kodiaks and Berzerkers for fast warjacks. Kodiaks work well with low-focus casters like Sorcha. They run without spending focus, and with Focus the berzerkers can potentially be used as suicide bombers. Depending on what casters you want, take a look at Drago (a character berzerker warjack) too. Sorsha (who can cast spells for mobility) and epic Sorcha for warcasters, and russians to fill out the ranks and synergize with Sorcha.

Also, Black Ivan might be a good choice for what to do with that extra warjack box (or you could turn a battlebox warjack into black ivan and build a decimator with the heavy box). I've never seen him in action, but by battlecollege's description, he sounds pretty tactically flexible with dodge and bulldoze. Also, Beast-09 is Sorcha's character warjack, which might be a good eventual purchase if you like running Sorcha.
    Last edited by Scaryscarymushroom; 31-01-2013 at 19:08.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzlos View Post
    If the Catachan Arm Monster became codex legal I'd have a full army
    This would be a Plog if I weren't so lazy. (Updated September 2, 2013)

I think there is a disparity between how beginners see Khador and how they actually play. If you're unfamiliar with the game and look at Khador you see massive, bulky warjacks, beefy man-o-wars etc and you think "that must be the heavy armor faction". But when you go to tournaments and see Khador being played it's mostly infantry swarms, nimble assassins and stuff like that. Sure, all Khador warjacks are slow, none of them have a Speed value higher than 4, but Khador in general only fields 1-2 warjacks per lists since what they do best is infantry. And they have a LOT of variation when it comes to infantry.
    I wouldn't call Khador unpredictable, but they can definitely be fast and are most definitely furious.
    Last edited by Falkman; 31-01-2013 at 19:43.
    - But I don't want to go among mad people.

- You can't help that, we're all mad here...

Warhammer Armies: Fishmen!
    Fanatical elves, a Retribution of Scyrah paint log!

Chapter Master

Oh, I don't know if this has been pointed out before, but it's useful info for any 40k players who are starting Warmachine/Hordes.

The 3/4/5" transparent blast templates for WM/H can be easily simulated using the green templates from 5th edition 40k/dark vengeance. Take a look.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8432666771_7c92e09870_b.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	163097

The only thing you need to do at that point is get out a marker and designate 1-6 scatter directions according to the quickstart pamphlet in the starter sets. Or just eyeball 60 degree angles when things scatter.
    Last edited by Scaryscarymushroom; 31-01-2013 at 19:07.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzlos View Post
    If the Catachan Arm Monster became codex legal I'd have a full army
    This would be a Plog if I weren't so lazy. (Updated September 2, 2013)

Glad that i discovered this thread, has all but confimed for me that i will start Warmachine/Hordes in the near future, just need to check out if there is currently any PP gaming where i recently moved to as this seems like a great alternative for when i don't want to play 40k which i recently got back in to and enjoying.

Have to say the main appeal for me comes from the fact i enjoy painting but am a slow/perfectionist style of painter, so the low model count and the amount of lovely & inspiring models that PP produce, it had to happen sooner or later.

So just wanted to say thanks for the input from the PP experianced players as it really helped me understand the game more as someone who has only ever played GW produced games.

Don't expect the model counts to be quite as small as you'd think if you play Cryx... :-p

They're nowhere near 40k high of course, but I have a very amusing moment the other day when i deployed my 25pt Cryx force (pSkarre, 10 Mcthralls, Necrosurgeon, 6 Bile Thralls, Skarlock Thrall, 2x chicken Jacks and a Slayer) and watched my opponents jaw hit the floor when he only had around 8 models to deploy (Khador - Butcher + Man o' Wars, a solo or two and a couple of Warjacks)
    We're still fairly new, and only just got enough minis to go up to 25 pts, so it was very amusing the massive difference in amounts of models!
    In the Grim Darkness of the Far Grim Dark there is only Grim Darkness, and skulls.

A collaborative blog about wargames, painting and probably some other randomness

Starting up a Skorne army and the rules are overall simple enough but there is 1 thing that I can't figure out.
    Let's say I got a Bronzeback and a few other beasts, they are forced a few times and at the start of my control phase, the warlock leeches the fury off them but there 1 fury still remaning on my bronzeback.
    I do the threshold test and passses the test so he doesn't frenzy.
    But is the fury point that caused the test still on him or does it get removed?
    The rules just say "nothing happens".

if you pass the threshold test the fury remains on the beast. If you fail, you can choose to keep it on or remove it.

and welcome to Skorne. They are my main faction and a lot of fun.

Thanks
    Yeah they seem like a fun faction and out of the different factions I found their models to look the best.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9