Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to start Warmachine/Hordes? Look Here! General Q&A Also!

Chapter Master

Re: Want to start Warmachine/Hordes? Look Here! General Q&A Also!

Nope it's based on your focus stat not on your current focus.

Marine

I've written a new 35 point list for Retribution and I would like to get some feedback before I commit the $150 to make it.

Adeptus Rahn
    2 units of Battles mages W/ Magister
    Solo Magister
    Manticore
    Hydra
    2 Ghost Snipers
    2 Arcanists
    Eiryss Mage Hunter

According to the book this gives me a Tier 3 on Rahn's Forces. I've yet to play test this army with stand-in's, and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Epyon1414 View Post
    I've written a new 35 point list for Retribution and I would like to get some feedback before I commit the $150 to make it.

Adeptus Rahn
    2 units of Battles mages W/ Magister
    Solo Magister
    Manticore
    Hydra
    2 Ghost Snipers
    2 Arcanists
    Eiryss Mage Hunter

According to the book this gives me a Tier 3 on Rahn's Forces. I've yet to play test this army with stand-in's, and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    From what I recall, that actually won't give you a Tier 3 on Rahn's Forces due to the inclusion of Ghost Snipers and Eiryss (assuming I set it up right, iBodger agrees).

That said - Rahn would benefit nicely from a Phoenix. I'm also guessing that your units of Mages with Magister refers to you purchasing the requisite Magister solos. Being Solos, these cannot be attached to your units, but could operate alongside them if you so choose (though they won't benefit from the same buffs/upkeeps).

I'd drop the non-tier stuff if you're banking on the benefits, upgrade one of the 'jacks to a Phoenix, then play around a bit with whatever points remain.

That said, there's no need to follow a theme list.

Also - lists are probably better suited for their own thread, but I didn't want you to feel like we were ignoring you
    ...and a little help comes in a little glass vial in a gun pressed against her anatomy...

Things I'd love to do if I had limitless money: a new Salamanders army for 40K; a new Dark Elf army for Fantasy; an Emperor's Children force for HH *sigh*

Chapter Master

He posted in a separate thread Loveless hence why no replies here.

Oops, so he did - I didn't scroll far enough. Nevermind then...
    ...and a little help comes in a little glass vial in a gun pressed against her anatomy...

Things I'd love to do if I had limitless money: a new Salamanders army for 40K; a new Dark Elf army for Fantasy; an Emperor's Children force for HH *sigh*

if my store lists a faction deck as being 'X' 2010 faction deck is this the deck of cards that contains the current rules for a faction?

for example, say I want to start circle of orboros and my store lists their currently stocked deck as 'Circle of Orboros 2010 Faction Deck' is this up-to-date?
    Quote Originally Posted by BramGaunt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDireAvenger View Post
    Quoted for Truth. :cries:
    Failing to see irony, you're doin it right.
    There indeed is a 6th sprue, which was only fabricated once, in pure platinum, and cooled in blessed water, together with his fellow other 5 sprue brothers. Those were carefully assembled by 13 blinded monks in a monastry far to the north of sweden and painted with colours taken from all the edges of the world.

That would be correct with the decks.

If I remember right, the current Hordes decks are the only Hordes decks that have come out since the original Primal, so there should be no confusion for Hordes as to what cards to get.

thanks for the help man.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDireAvenger View Post
    Quoted for Truth. :cries:
    Failing to see irony, you're doin it right.
    There indeed is a 6th sprue, which was only fabricated once, in pure platinum, and cooled in blessed water, together with his fellow other 5 sprue brothers. Those were carefully assembled by 13 blinded monks in a monastry far to the north of sweden and painted with colours taken from all the edges of the world.

Brother Sergeant

I'm a new Hordes player (in fact, so new that I haven't received the rulebook yet).

Thanks for this post. It really sold the Warmachines/Hordes to me (well, that and the gorgeous minis...).

I browsed Privateer Press' website and was a bit lost between the different books available.

It seems there are 4 game systems books for Hordes:
    1. HORDES Primal MkII (Newest rulebook I guess)
    2. HORDES Metamorphosis (Background + Rules)
    3. HORDES Evolution (Background + Rules)
    4. HORDES Primal

Are the last 3 books included in Primal MkII or is there any interest to purchase them (background maybe)?

Browsing the Warmachine part of the site, I also found several books that I'm sure if they are useful and up-to-date:
    1. WARMACHINES Legends
    2. Forces of WARMACHINE: Pirates of the Broken Coast
    3. WARMACHINE: Prime Remix

Is there any interest in buying these books?

The only reason you would get the old mk 1 books is for background.

Primal Mk 2 has all the rules you need for the basic game. Then there are the faction books if you want those.

So far, the only books in the Mk II line for both systems are:

Warmachine Prime Mk II
    Hordes Primal Mk II
    Faction books

The rest are all from Mark I and are useful if you want to see how the story has progressed up to this point but it is covered in the faction books and the main books to a lesser extent.
    "A sword doesn't have to have a fine lineage, it just has to be sharp" ~Luca Blight, Suikoden 2
    Warmachine: Retribution of Scyrah
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236680

Brother Sergeant

Thanks for the reply.
    I can't wait 'til I receive my new minis and try this game !

Quote Originally Posted by yool1981 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    I can't wait 'til I receive my new minis and try this game !
    I hope you enjoy. If you have any questions just come on back to this section and we will do our best to help.
    "A sword doesn't have to have a fine lineage, it just has to be sharp" ~Luca Blight, Suikoden 2

Scout

I'm just starting Warmachine this helps alot thanks!!!

im just starting warmachine, and im reading through the mk2 rulebook.

on the points values for a force, im getting slightly confused by the warjack points: +5 etc

do i take this as that warcaster costs +5 points or does it add 5 points to somthing?
    i cant seem to find an explination for how this works, theres an example but im missing somthing.

The +5 points represents 5 additional points you can only spend on Warjacks, basically, it's just to ensure you take at least one Warjack (as it will be pretty close to free).

ah that makes more sense ^_^
    i was thinking that the cryx box made a very odd starter set if it came to 14 points..as i couldnt really add anything intersting.

now i can add 10 mechanithralls and a brute thrall (:

I'm starting a Khador army since a lot of my gaming group is starting Warmahordes, but I've always liked the fluff and "beer & pretzels" -type of game that Beasts of War advertise every chance they get. I haven't gone to a single tournament in my life. I've heard that this game is all 'bout the winning side of things, min/maxing your armies and taking your opponent's firstborn baby if they lose. Is it so?
    Also, do these sets make a sensible 15 pt. army for khador:
    Khador battle box (So Sorcha, and two Warjacks)
    Khador Widowmakers

Also, how do you play a game of a Warmachine army vs. a Hordes army?
    Last edited by TheWarmaster; 23-02-2011 at 21:17.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWarmaster View Post
    I'm starting a Khador army since a lot of my gaming group is starting Warmahordes, but I've always liked the fluff and "beer & pretzels" -type of game that Beasts of War advertise every chance they get. I haven't gone to a single tournament in my life. I've heard that this game is all 'bout the winning side of things, min/maxing your armies and taking your opponent's firstborn baby if they lose. Is it so?
    Also, do these sets make a sensible 15 pt. army for khador:
    Khador battle box (So Sorcha, and two Warjacks)
    Khador Widowmakers

Also, how do you play a game of a Warmachine army vs. a Hordes army?

On Min/Maxxing: I would argue that the answer is both a Yes and a No. Let me explain:

No: The game is not about trying to use the most broken stuff and always be Win at all costs. It is about fun first and foremost with your models, so don't think it is a tournament, every game, all the time.

Yes: The reason some might think that is due to Page 5, which does get misinterpreted. I suggest reading my paragraph in the guide on it if you haven't. While you don't need to bring a WAAC list all the time, there is a certain expectation that you and your opponent will play to win.

The best way to think of it is that the game encourages you to play as best you can, more like always try your best to be competitive and understand your opponent will too.

As for the Models you mention, the Battle Boxs are fantastic places to start for any army.

As fro WM vs. Hordes, you just play against each other. It is the exact same system, the only thing that changes are the mechanics for how warbeasts interact with their warlock.

It's certainly a competitive game, but that's the fun of it. The game is balanced (enough), so everybody should be doing their best to make a good list that can compete with everybody else. The best way to understand Warmachine/Hordes is to read Page 5. in either rule book, you'll get it after that (please understand, however, that Page 5. is not about winning at all costs, rules lawyering, or being a poor sport, it's about bringing everything you've got to have a great game).

Min/Maxing is what Warmachine/Hordes is all about, you're supposed to take the best combinations of units you can think of, and assume your opponent is going to do the same. Everything in this game is meant to synergize with something (well, almost everything), be it a Warcaster who likes Warjacks better than units (Karchev doesn't take many units outside of Mechanics and possibly Widowmakers), or a Warcaster who would rather have more units than Warjacks (Irusk doesn't like wasting points on Warjacks). And the beauty of it is, even if you'd rather not pick what works, and stick to a theme, the game rewards you for that as well in the manner of Themed Lists. For example, if you like the Epic incarnation of the Butcher, you could go through his theme list, decide to run tons of Doom Reavers, and take the benefits of a tiered list, making what would otherwise be a lack luster list (unless you're playing against Rahn) into a viable way to play in your local meta.

As for your starting list, works just fine, great list to learn the game with.

Warmachine vs. Hordes is extremely easy to do, because the systems are built with all of the same rules in mind, save a few. The biggest difference is Focus and Fury. In Warmachine, each Warcaster has a Focus stat, it's a finite resource that's used for everything from casting spells to rolling extra dice when determining your chances to hit or deal damage. Each turn, your Focus fills back up to your stat (so the Butcher begins every turn with 6). Focus can also be given out to your Warjacks (up to 3 Focus per Warjack), giving them all of the benefits that a Warcaster has with it, save casting spells.

Fury works a bit like Focus in reverse. Warlocks start the game with their Fury stats worth of Fury (So Borka begins every game with 5 Fury), and gain Fury by taking it from their Warbeasts (rather than giving Focus to them like a Warjack). Warlocks use Fury the same way Warcasters use Focus, there's absolutely no difference in using it as a resource. Warbeasts generate Fury by doing all of the same things Warjacks and Warcasters pay Focus for. While this sounds like a major advantage for Hordes (and it is in some ways), there's a downside; any Fury not leached (taken from a Warbeast) after the start of each turn must be subtracted from a Threshold stat, and then you must perform a Threshold check (identical to a leadership test from 40k or Fantasy). If the test is failed, the Warbeast Frenzies, attacking the nearest model (friend or foe).

All it takes to pit the two systems against one other is an understanding of these two systems (there's a few things I left out, but you'll learn them as you go), all of the other rules are the same.

I was a bit taken aback after reading the fifth page. All that talking about balls in the metamorphic sense and stuff. I don't whine, because I haven't had anything to whine about. (except GW's pricing, but that's for another subforum) And I don't play to lose, or create purposely crippled lists. I just find the first few paragraphs a bit alienating. But, which one would be better, the Winter Guard riflemen or blunderbuss-users?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast