Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gorkamorka Muties

Gorkamorka Muties

Hi fellows!

I've wanted to try Gorkamorka and make some mutie gangs for a long time, but the models are hard to come by, don't look very good and are metal only.

This sucks because I love modelling and converting plastic. I tried to look for other sources on the net for making muties, but I couldn't really find anything I liked.

So I decided to make this little thread so that anyone else who wants to do the same idea can get a little inspiration

I used Kroot models for the riders and guns, zombie, tyranid and beastmen heads and chaos marauder horses for the steeds.

Its a slow process because I'm VERY new to sculpting with green stuff and I'm also painting a wood elf army at the time, but I'll post pics as I progress.

It was kind of a hassle to get the spread of the legs just right to fit the horse without having them stick out in odd angles. I just tried and failed a few times. Remember to pin them!

My mobleader. I'm going to give him a hood and a flashy gun + equipment

The first hood I made. The face is from a tyranid warrior. The hood isn't 100% complete at this point and it took a few attempts before I was satisfied. I still have a feeling I'll hate it as I get better at sculpting these things.

A couple of mutie guns. A cookie for anyone who can guess all the parts!

Ok, thats all for now. I have a few more hooded models that are done, but I haven't taken a pic of them just yet.

Re: Gorkamorka Muties

Most interesting. I'm going to follow this one. Good choice with the Kroot.

A cookie for anyone who can guess all the parts!
    Upper: Kroot rifle and CSM plasma pistol.
    Lower: Kroot rifle, Guard heavy flamer, meltagun..

Cookie?
    http://www.mekwars.org Play Battletech online in the MegamekNet 3025 campaign environment with people from around the world. New players welcome. Join a noble house and fight for supremacy in the Inner Sphere. Non-commercial community project, no cost.
    My random Sci-Fi Plog, mostly Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar and CSM Current Project: Bad Moons.

Chapter Master

Upper gun is a Kroot rifle, with a plasma pistol subbed in by the hand - looks like a Chaos one. The muzzle spike's been removed on the rifle end. The lower gun has a Cadian Flamer in the place of the main receiver section, Kroot wrappings past that, and the tip from a Chaos Meltagun for the muzzle.
    It's not Overkill, it's Insurance.

Grand Plog of Stuffness - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256696

Questions, Comments, Queries and Rude Remarks are ALWAYS welcome, and Very wanted.

*dishes out cookies*

I made some new hoods today and just wanted to toss the how-to-do for people who'd like to do something similar.

At the beginning, before I figured out how to do it, I had some bouts of frustration. If you are new to this, like I was, just keep going at it.

Try different thickness of green stuff for the cloth and don't be afraid to tear it of and try again. Also, don't be afraid to use to much, you can easily cut of excess green stuff. You most likely have to model a thin layer of gs over the hood to make creases in the cloth and cover any finger prints that you haven't smoothed out.

Flatten the GS on a flat surface and make a slightly triangular shape. The pointy end of the triangle is the point of the hood.

Curl the end of the hood slightly before putting it on the head of the mutie.

Just fold the GS in under itself to make the point of the hood. Don't worry to much about cracks and such, you can fix it later

This is another mutie where I've started modelling the creases on the hood. I just put a sausage along the bottom of the hood and used a rounded tip to make creases and tears in the "cloth"

The same mutie with creases on the front. Put thin (but not to thin) sausages along where the crease is supposed to be and flatten the flanks of the sausage to smooth it into the surface of the hood.

More examples. I'm mostly done with the hoods now (not pictured) and have started to assemble some of the models.

This is how it looks before I start making the creases

I fold the sausage around the muties neck to give the impression of cloth wrapped around his neck.

The Seeker
    Last edited by CauCaSus; 23-05-2010 at 23:00.

Veteran Sergeant

Excellent stuff! Subscribed!

Just outside Nottingham or standing right behind you.

One of my favourite games ever, one of my favourite warbands in the game and very nice, suitable models to boot.

J'approve.

cheers
    Ironduke

Oooh. Those aren't bad at all.

(And confirm my thoughts that kroot are one of the best kits for conversions)

Looking good, wonder if the new Slaanesh seekers might solve the problem of the splayed legs and provide a further option for the steed!

they look good, mite borrow the idea. the beast man head looks damn nice one the body.

Very nice! Ah the memories... shame no one plays it here anymore, might have to spark some interest somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Nutz View Post
    provide a further option for the steed!
    True dat. One or two Slaanesh steed heads might create a look similar to the old gorkamorka mutie steeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoume View Post
    shame no one plays it here anymore
    I beg to differ!

We've got a decent GoMo campaign in progress with nearly all factions represented. I've got several spare Mutie models so we've not needed to convert any, but I am interested in good, cost-effective ways of creating Muties.

I'm liking the warriors, the Kroot bits seem very useful as a basis for them. Do you plan on converting the steeds to make them suitably mutated?

Quote Originally Posted by Flamekebab View Post
    I beg to differ!

We've got a decent GoMo campaign in progress with nearly all factions represented.
    Thats cool. 'Here' being a barren rock floating about in the English Channel with only a dozen WH40k players however...

*chuckles*
    I'm just proud to have a campaign on the go. When I got into Gorkamorka back in 1998 I never managed to find any players and so never really got to play.

It may be twelve years later, but getting to play now makes me very happy with the additional benefit of now being old enough to enjoy the game as it is meant to be played - with a beer in one hand!

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Nutz View Post
    Looking good, wonder if the new Slaanesh seekers might solve the problem of the splayed legs and provide a further option for the steed!
    Yeah, I suppose they might be a better choice, but I didn't know they were going to arrive before I was this far

On that note, I do prefer the more beefy-looking marauder horses, but thats just a personal taste. I was thinking about using kroot hounds, warhounds or dire wolves as well, but I finally settled for the marauder horses.
    Last edited by CauCaSus; 25-05-2010 at 08:24.

Dude! That's sheer awesomeness! You might want to make the mounts more mutated too! You should perhaps try to get some tyranid bits (Genestealer legs for example would be great) and incorporate them into the horse models. Do it kinda subtle though, otherwise it will look too Tyranid like!
    Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Space ship design project

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Veteran Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by malika View Post
    You might want to make the mounts more mutated too!
    Yeah, for me the mounts are just as important as the riders in conveying that Mutie Raider feel. Changing the heads and tails at least should be pretty easy, and would make them look totally different. Also, making scabby areas by gluing on small patches of sand could look good.

Amazing. I'm planning to try out some special rules for a mutant/freemen mob as a neutral force protecting objectives. I'll be following this for sure.

Have you already considered throwing empire flaggelant bodies into the mix?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast