Thread: Possible Trollblood 35 point army

Possible Trollblood 35 point army

My Cygnar are in the post (hopefully) so, assuming that I like the game I am thinking of expanding to a hordes army.

I don't mind the trollblood infantry models and as such I will be taking a completely different approach and going infantry heavy.

Grim Angus

Troll Axer

Grim Troll Blitzer

Trollblood Champions (full)

Kreil Warriors (full) with piper and standard UA

Pyg Bushwhackers (full)

This army will cost my twice what my Cygnar army cost (140) so I would prefer if it was reasonably functional.
    Is your gaming club in Gosport or Portsmouth looking for an experienced new member with an interest in historicals but willing to play pretty much anything? If so drop me a PM.

Xenonauts the real successor to X-COM.

Death Guard Plog

Re: Possible Trollblood 35 point army

Great choice on Grim, he's my favorite caster. There's a few things to remember with Grim though when making a list, although you did fufill some of it. Grim likes shooting, and you have all of the basics (and you even have a Blitzer, which I love), save one very, very important one, an Impaler. The Impaler is great because it's Animus adds 4" of range to anything, so Grim Angus suddenly has a P13, 17" range sniper rifle that adds 2" to any models charge range, making him great for taking pot shots at just about anything. The Impaler also synergizes with the Blitzer, as it gives it a very credible threat range on it's gun (14", nearly as good as Grim).

The Axer is another great choice for Grim, as with his +2" charge range, any amount of speed you can tack on adds up (if you have Mulg, he can potentially charge 13", and with Reach, he makes a scary assassin, though there's better ways to spend 12 points).

I don't like Champions with Grim, he does nothing to support them, and they have no guns, making his ability to take away stealth useless. Spend those 10 points on a Mauler, whose Animus will make your Impaler terrifying to even heavy Jacks, and you'll have an extra point left over too.

Kriel Warriors are sort of the same, but they have a place as fodder at least with Grim. Without a Krielstone, both Champions and Kriel Warriors are underperforming, so the best you can hope for is to use them as a screen (you can make clever use of Marked for Death with this, but it's not the best idea). Fennblades will perform better without any buffs, although I still wouldn't reccommend them for Grim.

Pyg Bushwhackers are a lot of fun, and work well unsupported with most casters, as they can simply harass the enemy. Grim can also lower defense, which makes the Bushwhackers a lot more dangerous, so if you like them, it's a solid choice.

It's also worth noting that Grim himself is one of the most dangerous Warlocks Trolls have, he's got a great gun, ways to buff his range, True Sight (goodbye Manhunters), Take Down (on melee only unfortunately, but still good in some situations) and a nasty list of spells. His Feat is slightly underwhelming, but it has the advantage of being underestimated and appropriate in many situations. You'll never have to try to set up Grim's feat, it'll just happen at one point in the game, use it so the enemy can't retaliate, so you can hit Ironfleshed models, or simply for an assassin run, it works well in any of those situations.

Ultimately, I usually go for the long range charge approach with Grim. Take an Earthborn Dire Troll, stick him by some woods, cast Rush on him (Axer's Animus), shoot the enemy caster, and he's charging 14". This could also work on a model like Mulg (as the ability to charge further by being next to rough terrain is also the EBDTs Animus), but that's far too many points to invest in a one-trick pony.

Good luck, hopefully we can get some more Trollblood players on Warseer, it seems like they're unpopular here (too many Elf guys).

I don't like the Mauler model so...

How about if I swap the champions for an Impaler and a minimum sized unit of Fennblades?
    Is your gaming club in Gosport or Portsmouth looking for an experienced new member with an interest in historicals but willing to play pretty much anything? If so drop me a PM.

Xenonauts the real successor to X-COM.

Death Guard Plog

Quote Originally Posted by Ozorik View Post
    I don't like the Mauler model so...

How about if I swap the champions for an Impaler and a minimum sized unit of Fennblades?
    That's viable, Fennblades have Vengance and good speed (by Trollblood standards), so they can benefit from Grim a bit.