Thread: Island of Blood Starter Set Contents

Chapter Master NixonAsADaemonPrince's Avatar

Island of Blood Starter Set Contents

Some pics, courtesy of various people:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bloodis11_fixed (1).jpg 
Views:	12951 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	92579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bloodis1.JPG 
Views:	10927 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	92581Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bloodis2.JPG 
Views:	11377 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	92588Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IoBblackbox3Dken06.jpg 
Views:	12604 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	92582Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IoBblackbox3Dken05.jpg 
Views:	12537 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	92583Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IoBblackbox3Dken04.jpg 
Views:	11806 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	92584Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IoBblackbox3Dken07.jpg 
Views:	10746 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	92585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IoBblackbox3Dken02.jpg 
Views:	9442 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	92586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IoBblackbox3Dken01.jpg 
Views:	9283 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	92587Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bloodis8.JPG 
Views:	10386 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	92580

(If you want pictures of the clanrats, warpfire thrower and the poisoned wind mortar, they are up on BoLS here: http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.ne...1&postcount=97) (The standard bearers of the Swordmasters and the Sea Guard are switched in the above photos)

Some un-boxing pics up on GW: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/co...?aId=11500028a Nothing really that exciting though. Does confirm there is no missing sprue with more Sea Guard, Slaves or Globadiers.

It's released on the first Saturday of September, September 4th.

The price is probably 60 and $99 US, but not totally confirmed.

The rulebook included is in full colour and has all the rules, basic scenarios and spells, sections missing that are present in the hardback edition as rules (as well as the fluff and hobby sections) are:

- Armies of Warhammer, describing every army with lots of pictures
    - Extra battles (like battles taken from the story line, campaings, linking battles, etc; last section in the big book just before the spells)

Here is the contents of Island of Blood, thanks to all the rumour mongers for the information, none of it is mine, I've just collected it. Just to state it, all this info is according to five usually very reliable sources here at warseer, so it's pretty definite. Revised descriptions added now as well (mostly courtesy of Hrogoff the Destructor), just in case the pictures aren't enough.

High Elves (Not sculpted by Gary Morley, the person responsible for the current ugly hands/feet in certain sets, but rather by Martin Footitt, who has done the slimmer and prettier High Elf kits)

Prince on Griffon: The griffon is posed like a pouncing tiger. Its mid jump and its wings are sprawled out. Very large claws, though the model itself is pretty big so fits in.

Mage on foot: Then we got the High Elf mage which steals the show (as far as I'm concerned). His base is amazing and I'm not quite sure how to describe it. It's kind of like an orb of splashing water that you can see through. He also has dangly bits and a very impressive helmet that looks like it belongs in Lord of the Rings.

10 Sea Guard: They are vaguely reminiscent of the old metal Sea Guard (like the hanging quivers on the back). They have really slick looking spears, a variety of helmet designs, and a piece of cloth around one shoulder to hold the bow in place on their backs. Their shields also have the LSG symbol on it.

10 Swordmasters of Hoeth: Tall (Chaos Warrior tall), but with longer and more slender swords than the originals. Their overall pose is just like the current ones except with way more detail. The battle standard is very impressive. There are only a few repeat models in the unit.

5 Ellyrian Reavers: The ellyrion reavers are very impressive. The champion looks somewhat like the Kislev Winger Rider. The rest are all aiming forward with their bows. Unfortunately there is no musician and their heads are very similar. The only difference that I noticed between the heads was the positioning of feathers. Luckily you add their heads manually so you can put different ones on if you got some laying around.

About 950 points in total, assuming full command on all units, a smattering of extra equipment, Lvl 2 Mage but no magic items.

Skaven

Warlord: With back banner and halberd, looks quite a lot like Queek, but with a chain running from his banner around his neck.

Warlock: Plenty of pipes and equipment, some kind of large spire like lightning condense, very nicely detailed.

40 Clanrats: Shields moulded on, 20 have hand weapon and shield and 20 have spear and shield, if I have interpreted things correctly. Look very much like the recent clan rat kit.

Poisoned Wind Mortar: The globidier mortar looks exactly like you think it would, not that much detail unfortunately though.

Warpfire Thrower: The warp fire thrower is pretty standard too apart from a small rat that's on fire.

2 Rat Ogres: Their limbs are exaggerated in size (like the one the screaming bell), and one of them is in a posed like an idle gorilla. One has limbs strewn together like Frankenstien's Monster while the other has a chunk of warpstone in its shoulder deforming it's skin (all while having a machine infuse it with drugs).

Packmaster/Master Moulder: The master moulder looks pretty sweet and has a long prod like weapon (pretty obvious in the pictures).

About 750 points in total, assuming full command on all units, a smattering of extra equipment, Lvl 2 Warlock but no magic items.

And some more info, courtesy of CaliforniaGamer:

~None of these are the current models from currently available sprues, not even the clanrats. The clanrats (read: not slave sprues) have fixed shields on 20 of them and I believe are 2-part models(like much of the box, thus very easy to assemble).
    ~The Reavers and the Griffon Rider have the legs sculpted onto the body of the mount but you could substitute and upper torso for conversion purposes quite easily (read: Dragon Princes, Empire/Bret heroes on griffons etc).
    ~The Reavers come pre-equipped with bows...they are part of the upper torso mold. Why? Im not sure, would make non-bow Reavers hard to WYSIWG for tournament purposes but the models are first class all the way.
    ~As I said most are 2-part models, easy to assemble and need minimal to no gap filling. (The Griffon might need green stuff on the back for gap filling though to do up properly)
    ~The swordmasters have different head options, I counted at least 4 different types of "masks/helms".
    ~The banners are "textured/raised" and are specific to the Swordmasters and Sea Guard, meaning you can spray, basecoat and drybrush for the "free hand" challenged among us.
    ~The Skaven bits will be a goldmine for conversion types. Can do the rest of the weapon teams with only minimal conversion skill.
    ~Price was retail 99.00 US Dollars.
    ~I saw no other terrain bitz people are claiming in the box (no objective markers etc).

Nixon
    Last edited by NixonAsADaemonPrince; 23-07-2010 at 15:04.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    New smiley: :willow:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zink View Post
    It's a depressing thought that we're as good as it gets in a universe full of amazing things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzooky View Post
    I think all UM flyers should be covered by a new special rule called: Whooshing machines live longer with Calgar...

Banned

Re: Island of Blood Starter Set Contents

Seems like it will be a hard set to split 50/50 with another player.

Sounds lile a lot of stuff to me anyone got a rougj idea of total points must be a fair amount

I was hoping for more Clanrats, but the Slaves will be put to good use. Doesn't seem too balanced for the poor old Skaven though. It does look like i'll pick up two and swap the Elves for Skaven, that'd give me 160 Clanrats and 80 slaves, which would bulk up the core of my force.
    Painting Log - My for sale/trade thread! PM me if you're after something not on the list, I might have it!
    Available for commissions, PM me if you're interested.
    Kabal of the Poisoned Tongue plog
    Quote Originally Posted by Theocracity View Post
    I don't want to get all ad hominem up in here, but I honestly don't know why so many people who complain that Ward writes for 13 year olds insist on acting like 13 year olds anyhow.

Very nice, can't wait for pics.

Banned

Yea, give us pics.

I like the contents a lot, aside maybe from the Swordmasters, which I have a ton of (and for some reason every HE player seems to have a ton of them).
    EmperorNorton's Overabundance of Projects Log

2012 Minis bought: 363 - - - Minis painted: 373
    2013 Minis bought: 1060 - - - Minis painted: 210
    2014 Minis bought: 619 - - - Minis painted: 63

Wow. The High Elves are vastly outnumbered. Well its a good set for Skaven players atleast.

Sorry, I've got no pics.

I've added the approximate points, feel free to check.

Cheers,

Nixon
    It's a depressing thought that we're as good as it gets in a universe full of amazing things.
    I think all UM flyers should be covered by a new special rule called: Whooshing machines live longer with Calgar...

Well that's a box... With two armies I don't yet have...
    "If we don't end war, war will end us."
    -H.G. Wells

That's a very nice box.

I think we will share it in three, the books for me, the elves for a friend and the skavens for a friend that want to begin with that army.

For a starter box it's perfect for us.
    He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flatfoot, who'll never flinch from a fray

Were you expecting even numbers? Those 20 slaves cost less points that 3 of the lowest point models in the HE army.

Hmmm, I am inclined to agree that it looks like it'll be hard to split boxes.

Two Skaven parts gives you a solid core army to build around and to go whichever Skaven clan variation you want to pursue as you can use most of the models. I'll definitely be picking up two parts.

However, two High Elf parts seems rather lacking.

Oh well, looks like anyone with an interest in High Elves, should be able to find half box sets on ebay pretty soon.

EDIT : What I mean is that it seems the High Elf part seems "temporary" for future players. You'll probably end up replacing the Griffon(s) and Reavers for other parts, while the Skaven part seems designed to be a core to add upon.
    Last edited by Halelel; 22-06-2010 at 17:46.
    Check out my player log : Here

8th edition
    O&G : 5-2-5
    TK : 4-4-8
    Other armies shelved while work begins on Tale of Fantasy Painters '10-'11! (Empire & Beastmen)

Quote Originally Posted by Coldblood666 View Post
    Wow. The High Elves are vastly outnumbered. Well its a good set for Skaven players atleast.
    Well, you say that, but the armies are not in any sense "even", the HE player has almost double the points of the skaven player, I'm guessing its designed around a special starter set scenario which gives the skaven a huge advantage, otherwise they don't really have a hope.

Bear in mind as a set to start armies with, the HE player is over half way there, while the skaven army needs to buy a heck of a lot more.

I guess thats always going to be the problem when you pit the ultra-elite army against the ultra-gribbly army in the starter box though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozendorph View Post
    Oh man, that article is awesome. The writer is basically saying, "You can use these new rules to create terrible combinations that fly in the face of the background we've been developing for decades. It's a really bad idea, and I'm not sure why we're printing it. You'd best ignore it if you want to keep your friends. I am deeply sorry."

Quote Originally Posted by Spiney Norman View Post
    I guess thats always going to be the problem when you pit the ultra-elite army against the ultra-gribbly army in the starter box though.
    Well it's there to give new players a good sense of the rules, where they can start both really hard but low model count army or a vast horde, I think it works well. Yes the points aren't even, but the skaven will still give the elves a run for their money, even if they are a bit down.

Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by NixonAsADaemonPrince View Post
    Well it's there to give new players a good sense of the rules, where they can start both really hard but low model count army or a vast horde, I think it works well. Yes the points aren't even, but the skaven will still give the elves a run for their money, even if they are a bit down.

Nixon
    Skaven lords are pretty cheap... some of the difference may just be in an upgrade in those skaven charector models.

I expect the points to be more like 1020 for high elves and 772 for skaven, as i don't expect command on reavers and swordmasters.

That's far less difference than suggested in the OP.
    Last edited by Cambion Daystar; 22-06-2010 at 18:12.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post
    Keep in mind that Warhammer is HEROIC 28mm, that is 30mm.
    But then again, Kylie Minogue and Shakira are said to be the same scale as NBA players
    Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
    It has shipyards, maybe implying that it's the industrial heart of the DE empire. Manchester and yobs? Druchii chavs.

does anyone recall the points of the armies on the Battle for Skull Pass set?

sorry i'm confused with this because according to the GW site, The Island of Blood is over run with chaos energy. so i would of thought that one of the armies would be warriors of chaos.

and secondly it doesn't seem a very even split of the armies, which means if you play it then the High Elves are always going to win

Rhamiel

Quote Originally Posted by Rhamiel View Post
    sorry i'm confused with this because according to the GW site, The Island of Blood is over run with chaos energy. so i would of thought that one of the armies would be warriors of chaos.

and secondly it doesn't seem a very even split of the armies, which means if you play it then the High Elves are always going to win

Rhamiel
    Well, the contents of the box has been confirmed by numerous very reliable rumour mongers, with depictions of the models involved (hence the accurate listing above). So don't believe GW, it's definitely High Elves vs Skaven.

In regards of balance, GW care more about getting cool models which demonstrate a large amount of the game into the box rather than the balance in terms of the normal game. There might be a scenario involved or possibly the High Elves aren't supposed to use all their models at one time.

In BfSP all units came with full command, so I went on that in regards of calculating the points. I must admit I can't reach that amount of points for the Skaven, but please demonstrate as I could well just be getting something wrong.

Cheers,

Nixon

Page 1 of 106 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast