Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1:72 wargames?

1:72 wargames?

Hello all. I was recently looking over some awesome kits at plastic soldier review ( http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Index.aspx ) and i was wondering if there are 1:72 scale historical wargames. I've never really gone into much depth with historicals, so any information or links will be most helpfull.

Veteran Sergeant

Re: 1:72 wargames?

I've seen some folk use the 1:72 stuff on bases used for 25mm in DBx. 1:72 works out to be about 20mm, so it's to big to mix with 15mm and too small to mix with 25mm. On it's own, it looks OK.

Yes, using 1:72 scale minis for DBA is quite common.

DBA? wasn't that the ancestor to DBM? (speaking of which, i've been trying to find DBM's rules forever.)

Most historical games are not defined by a strict scale like gw - within reason games that are suitable for 28mm scale are also suitable for 20mm (or 1/72, same thing) as there is not a massive difference. If there is a particular period or era of history that appeals post on here, am sure you will get some good suggestions.

Well, I'm looking at getting some Zvezda models. particularly thier samurai sets, or some tuetonic knights/crusades minis since those are my favorite models in the range and also because i've had a bit of a fascination with them since I became a history buff.

Then buy a big Zvezda box. The big Zvezda battle boxes contain a Zvezda ruleset called the Age of Battles

Quote Originally Posted by lord marcus View Post
    DBA? wasn't that the ancestor to DBM? (speaking of which, i've been trying to find DBM's rules forever.)
    DBA was a seperate game, smaller scale.

DBM became DBMM and is going through a 2nd edition currently

If you go with 1/72 stuff then stick with it and don't go for 20mm stuff. In my experience the 1/72 stuff is much more on the thinner side of true scale where 20mm stuff (unless stated as being designed to fit with 1/72s) tends to be more chunky.

However there are a couple of exceptions - I think valients WW2 sets were designed with wargaming in mind and are more in line with some manufactures metal ranges and so a little more chunky. I can't say for sure but I think pegasus is the same.

I have to say I don't understand people who buy resin tanks in 20mm when they are exactly the same as the plastic ones . . . .
    http://mcfonz.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post
    junglesnake is ==My== hero, preach on brother!

Commander

Just be aware that you'll probably need to collect both sides of a conflict you use 1:72.

I use some 1/72 scale minis, mainly for large scale armies/battles. Currently painting 300 Spartans, using a mixture of Hat and Ceasar miniatures. I generally use the same rules as I would for 28mm, which is either Ganesha Games Songs of Blades and Heroes or Warhammer Ancient Battles.

In the current issue of Irregular Magazine (http://irregularmagazine.com) is an article on painting 1/72, which prevent the paint from flaking off, which is a common problem with a lot of 1/72 scale minis because of the plastic used.

It's also a very cheap way to buy a very large army, the 300 spartans cost me no more than 30, or roughly $45. Which is great, the only problem is painting them all, LOL.

Chaplain

I wish people would stop saying 1/72 is 20mm-its many things but not that.
    Average bottom of feet to top of head heights are about 24mm, this goes down to about 22mm for some manufacturers.
    These are far more in proportion than comic scale 28mm figures but are mostly a lot more basic.
    Ive just got my first box of zvezda figs and they are a step closer towards gaming minis in all respects-on the taller side, more girth, much better detail than most 1/72 and made of a harder plastic, not the same as GW but far closer than anything else in this scale.
    Im building a "visitors army" that i can loan to my nephews should they visit for a game-loosley an Empire force for WH that will be mostly 1/72 with some 28mm for characters-when they are facing off against monster armies they are quiet passable.
    The Zvezda set i have is "Medievil peasant army" which i think will be passable for Chaos Dwarf or Skaven human slave troops. When based up properly i think they would also be passable mixed in with Lord of the Rings minis.
    Last edited by jprp; 29-06-2013 at 23:07.

And I wish wargaming manufacturers would describe their figures with scales rather than with "28mm," "15mm" etc. Fact is that for decades wargaming figure manufacturers (and toy soldier manufactuers before them) described figures with a rough scale based on the height of a man-sized figure. Where do you measure from though? To the top of the head (i.e. "US style")? Or to the eyes (because many ancient to modern troops wear helmets or headdresses...some more elaborate than others -- the "European Style"). Try measuring 1/72 figures to the eyes and see if that 22-24mm figure is in fact 20mm? EDIT: also what scale reference is that manufactuer using? The average worldwide height for a human male today is 5'8". Maybe the manufacturer feels 6' is a better reference? Maybe 5'6" because they are WWII figures? Maybe they don't really care at all?

Also consider that while a manufacturer might market their figure as a "25mm" or "28mm" figure, it might actually be closer to 28mm or 30mm. I know some 15mm figure manufacturers that sell figures that are actually closer to 18-19mm (Xyston for one).

The point I'm making is that the wargames figure hobby and industry has adopted a range of standards that most manufacturers barely adhere to. 20mm can be anything from 1/87 scale (the original 20mm IIRC) to 1/72 -- all would be commonly agreed by most hobbyists as 20mm.

Finally, one thing to establish myself, I have been a scale modeler for something like 30 years -- I am extremely aware of scale (that's why I would prefer figure manufacturers to describe their stuff by scale -- and adhere to that standard). But for better or worse the wargaming hobby is much more sloppy when it comes to scale, and I have met many wargamers that couldn't care less if the mix 1/87 figures with 1/72 in the same army or unit -- a complete and utter anathema to me!

Damon.
    Last edited by Lars Porsenna; 13-06-2013 at 17:41.
    "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"

A Mtlhd of Wrsr

My Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com
    My Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
    News from the Front!: http://chaoscreations69.com/blog/

Chaplain

Sadly everyone has to make there own decision on "scale" and probably the only way of doing so before purchase is by taking along a mini and asking the shop guy to open a box for comparison.
    The whole "system" as many have said is a nonsence.
    Going back to 1/72-i originally was led to believe it was based on 1 inch = 6ft, ie 72 inches represented by one table top inch (makes sense?) now 1 in =25.5mm (as near as is reasonable) =4.25mm per foot so 0.354mm=1 inch of real height, 68 inches (5ft 8in) =24.072mm = about right for most 1/76.
    All the manufacturers that have followed with other Scales seem to be simply spouting "ass"-and i have never understood the idea of measuring to eye height on a humanoid figure, if you are asked your height you dont say im 5ft 8in to the eyes and surely sculpting a hat doesnt stop the artist knowing where the head should end.

You can basically play anything in 20mm or 1:72 scale.

Seems to be common for DBx, Force on Force, some Field of Glory.....

Oh, that upcoming 17th century Poland game gets a whole range of 20mm minis. At this point in time companies look for "untapped" scales so they can sell their toys. Just like with Flames of War when it came out, Dropzone Commander and, as I said, By Fire and Sword.

Dunno if I would call 15mm WWII an untapped scale previous to FoW...

Damon.
    "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"

A Mtlhd of Wrsr

My Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com
    My Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
    News from the Front!: http://chaoscreations69.com/blog/

To the Op if you are wanting to look at 1/72 etc have a look at the following link.

http://www.guildwargamers.com/phpBB3/index.php

They are a great bunch over there and although mainly WW2 or later there are still a lot of people who play other periods and even scales.

Marine

Quote Originally Posted by lord marcus View Post
    Hello all. I was recently looking over some awesome kits at plastic soldier review ( http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Index.aspx ) and i was wondering if there are 1:72 scale historical wargames. I've never really gone into much depth with historicals, so any information or links will be most helpfull.
    It depends on the period you like.
    For WWII there are the rules Battlegroup Kursk and supplements, aimed to miniatures in 1/72.

For ancient and medieval games you could try one of the "successors" of WAB, like Clash of Empires or War&Conquest or rules like Field of Glory or DBMM. No one of these rules is specific for 1/72 but usually people use the 25/28mm bases and I've never seen anyone having problems with them.

Another choice could be Impetus, my choice for this period, these rules use big bases (12cm wide for 25/28mm) so you could base your miniatures for other rules and stick them on the bigger bases if/when you want to try Impetus (usually Impetus' bases are as big as 4 bases for FoG/DBMM). If you decide to play Impetus only you could even create mini dioramas.
    Impetus requires less miniatures than other games as you can see in their page dedicated to the basing system.

I hope this can help you
    Luciano

PS: of course you could be interested in other periods, like Napoleonic or American Civil War, and in this case nothing of what I wrote will be helpful
    "Give a man fire, and you keep him warm for the night. Set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for a lifetime"
    Terry Pratchett

Chillin' like Gilligan, out on a an island, fishin' with my string and bamboo

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    Oh, that upcoming 17th century Poland game gets a whole range of 20mm minis.
    Oh, I thought they were 15mm.??? Either way I am actually intrigued by the game- the minis look very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast