Thread: Conclave 2010

Banned

Conclave 2010

Conclave was Limerick's only annual convention. As of now there is also Brocon as well, but despite this, the introduction of Brocon actually made me more excited about Conclave as I am running Brocon making Conclave my last tournament ever in 7th edition. I wanted the win and was thinking of bringing my Dark Elves, but at the last second lt more right to return to my roots for this one, and so WoC it was. Going in I knew one of the tougher armies had a Shadestar in it and opted to bring Festus to try and counter it.

So showing up Sunday morning I met some of the other players. There were a nice mix of armies and the first thing that stood out this year was that the standard of competition had risen considerably as did the skill levels of all the players in attendance. I liked my chances enough if I could outpace the Shadestar, though that was a tall order.

So onto the important stuff. As I already said I brought my WoC army. I went for something slightly different this year, and I was pleased with how it played in the end; it was disappointing as I would have liked to continue running the list.

Sorcerer Lord [ Level 4 ]
    Mark of Tzeentch, Disk of Tzeentch, Infernal Puppet, Dispel Scroll, Golden Eye of Tzeentch

Festus the Leechlord

Sorcerer
    [ Level 2 ]
    Mark of Nurgle, Chaos Steed, Power Familiar, Book of Secrets

5x Chaos Knights
    Mark of Nurgle, Standard Bearer, Banner of Rage

5x Chaos Knights
    Mark of Khorne, Musician

Chaos Chariot
    Chaos Chariot

12x Marauders

Mark of Slaanesh

5x Marauder Horsemen
    Mark of Slaanesh, Flails, Musician

5x Marauder Horsemen
    Mark of Slaanesh, Spears

5x Chaos Hounds
    5x Chaos Hounds

Hellcannon
    Hellcannon
    I liked the synergy of the list. The Tzeentch wizard could deal with the tough stuff like Dragons with backing from the Hellcannons while the Festus/Nurgle Sorcerer combo could Buboes out Heroes with ease. The Nurgle mark with Rage Banner of one of the Knight units was to help against shooty armies by presenting them with target that was both harder to hit and harder to penetrate. Two Hellcannon was also going to be a sealing point in the list, having the option to fire off Doomfire to annihilate big gribblies or numbers of troops, or to hold up low strength opponents and/or small units of higher strength enemies.

So for round one I got paired against....the Shadestar! Richard 'Floody' Flood was my opponent a long time rival and friend from the southern country who had shon up for Fantasy on a whim, which was totally out of character. His list (see below) showed why.

Dreadlord
    Armour of Eternal Servitude, Soulrender, Repeater Crossbow, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Ring of Darkness

Master
    BSB, Banner of Hag Graef, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Great Weapon, Repeater Crossbow

Master
    Ring of Hotek, Guiding Eye, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Great Weapon, Repeater Crossbow

Master
    Pearl of Infinite Bleakness, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Great Weapon, Repeater Crossbow

Assassin
    Extra Hand Weapon, Manbane, Rending Stars

Assassin
    Extra Hand Weapon, Manbane, Rending Stars

Assassin
    Extra Hand Weapon, Manbane, Repeater Handbow, Rune of Khaine

51x Shades
    Great Weapons

10x Spearmen

10x Spearmen

10x Spearmen
    Talk about a lot of shooting; 110 Crossbow shots from one unit!

Rolling for spells, Festus had Buboes and Curse, the Nurgle Sorcerer had Buboes and Plague Squall, and the Lord had F.F., Baleful Transmorg., Treason of Tzeentch, and Call to Glory. He obviously didn't have spells, so we rolled for sides, and then first turn, which he got. Deployment can be seen below.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...Deployment.jpg

Turn 1

The Dark Elf turn was rather simple; the Assassins popped out and them and the characters all ran into the Shade unit, which then shuffled forward 3". The other Spear units moved around. Shooting surprisingly then didn't do anything so the player turn was over.

In the Chaos turn cuation and precision was everything. The Horsemen on each flank advanced at a trot, the Knights angled around for potential charge avenues as did the Chariots. The Hounds simple moved out of the way, and the wizard bunker moved forward to bring their spells into range. Finally the Lord also brought himself into range.

In the magic phase, an Assassin suffered from some Magnificent Buboes, losing a wound, as the Shades he was with lost four men to a Flickering Fire of Tzeentch. To round out magic Festus cursed the Shadestar with a bout of leperacy, instantly dropping their strength and toughness by one. The Hellcannons collectively took down 6 more Shades before the turn ended.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...iors_of_Ch.jpg

Turn 2

The Dark Elves advanced a little more, hoping to bait out the Chaos Knights, and in magic failed to dispel the Curse of the Leper. The large unit then proceeded to slay the Sorcerer Lord with shooting, though still only doing the minimum 3 wounds despite shooting 88 shots and usng the Guiding Eye for re-rolls.

In the Chaos phase the Dark Elf plan partly worked, with the Nurgle Knights being forced to charge the Shades due to frenzy, stopping magic and shooting against them. However, the other Knights were instead drawn out by the Spearmen who had failed to move out of their LOS and were closer. The Horsemen in the west charged the Spearmen over there also. With no magic and shooting (though the Curse of the Leper further reduced the Shadestar's S and T to 1) combat came quickly. The stand and shoot reaction fell 4 of the 5 Knights, leaving the standard bearer to fight alone against the Dark Elves, being slain by the Assassin. The Horsemen faired better, running down the Spearmen, and the Knights and Hounds in the centre easily butchered the Spearmen there, though one Hound fell in the process.

Turn 3

In turn 3, Floody decided to forgo movement and roll to attempt to dispel the CotL immediately, as if he failed the unit would crumble into goo in the following Chaos turn, ending the game. Unfortunately for him, he rolled a 6 and so conceded, giving a 20-0 for the forces of the Dark Gods. It was a huge burden lifted from my shoulders to be passed this obstacle, and I looked now to round 2 (coming soon....)

Re: Conclave 2010

Normally, I would boo such a one-sided and tricksy outcome. However, the enemy was running one of the few lists that I believe utterly deserve this dreadful fate, and so I applaud your cleverness. I am very glad that 8th edition will kill this particular build dead.
    "Insanity! Insanity! What kind of war are we fighting?"
    -Marshal Edric Croe, on hearing the news from Vannick

Banned

So onto Game 2. Game 2 was against the High Elves of Kevin Rynn whom I had previously faced at Warpcon. High Elves are always a good match for Chaos, so I was happy going into this round. Rough High Elf list is below.

Prince
    Star Dragon, Lance, Armour of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix, Reaver Bow

Noble
    BSB, Sword of Might, Enchanted Shield, Heavy Armour

Mage
    2x Dispel Scrolls

10x Swordsmaster of Hoeth
    Full Command, Banner of Arcane Protection

10x White Lions of Chrace
    Full Command, Lion Standard

10x Phoenix Guard
    Full Command, War Banner

5x Dragon Princes
    Champion, Standard Bearer

5x Shadow Warriors

10x Archers
    10x Archers

RBT
    RBT

Great Eagle
    As you can see it was a pretty standard list. For spells I rolled, FF, Treason, Call to Glory, and Gateway. Festus took the usual two spells while the Nurgle Sorcerer rolled Buboes and Curse of the Leper, also getting Steed of Shadows on the Book of Secrets.

Turn 1

The Elves took the initiative and started the game. The Dragon made a bee-line for the nearest Hellcannon, hell-bent on demolishing it before it could do the same. The Dragon Princes cut across the centre for a tactical position while the Swordsmasters moved in for battle. The Phoenix Guard also shimmied on though the rest of the army remained stationary.

Magic was non existant for the High Elves in this game with the only success being the Mage's success at miscasting and wounding himself. In shooting however the RBTs combined to take out a Chariot wile the Archers killed 1 Hound and 3 Hounds respectively.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...High_Elves.jpg

The Chaos forces took the cue to surge forward with the Hounds manuvering to make sure the Dragon would steer clear of the wizard bunker and the Nurgle Knights ran up the centre. On the left flank the Horsemen positioned themselves after a move at full pace and the Chariot moved up. On the opposite side the Horsemen reciprocated their brothers and the Hounds and Knights positioned themselves to charge the Swordsmasters, thinking them to be out of charge range.

In the magic phase the combination of two Buboes took two wounds from the Star Dragon with the Hellcannons then taking 4 more and killing the Prince.

Turn 2

Enraged by the death of its noble master the Dragon charged the Hellcannon. On the right flank the SMs proved the Knight's guess to be flawed and made a successful charge. Also the Great Eagle swooped over to intercept the Horsemen while the Dragon Princes moved in beside the Dragon. The Lions moved out of the wood anticipating the Chaos Knights and the Shadow Warriors moved out to try and shoot down the Horsemen. Lastly the Archers angled in for a better shot.

In shooting said Archers managed to kill two Horsemen, while the others slew two Hounds, panicking the remaining two. One BT slew a Knight while the other missed, and the Shadow Warriors failed to deal any damage. Combat was bloody with the Swordsmasters surprisingly slaying all five of the Chaos Knights with relative ease and overrunning behind the forest. The Dragon wounded the Hellcannon but the Hellcannon retaliated by slaying the noble beast.

In a bout of Daemonic madness the Hellcannon rampaged and ran straight into the Dragon Princes. The other, in a lesser fit, elected to charge the Eagle to force it to flee the board. The Chariot failed a charge against the Lions, while the Knights succeeded a charge against the Phoenix Guard. The Hounds and Horsemen also charged the Archers with the Hounds being shoot down in reaction. The wizard bunker moved out of hiding and advanced to start raining filth on the High Elves, while the Hounds rallied and faced the incoming Sowrdsmasters; the Lord finished out the phase by flying over the wood behind said unit.

The wizard bunker started their tricks and doubled Buboed the RBT leaving the machine crewless and useless. The Sorcerer Lord managed to take out a single SM before then miscasting, being saved from annihilation only by the mangled straw figure he carried in his hand.

Combat was varied this turn. The Knight butchered through the Phoenix Guard overrunning into the Archers, while the other Archers managed to kill the Horsemen. The Hellcannon and the Dragon Princes fought to a stalemate because of the Hellcannon being Unbreakable, though one Prince fell in the process.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...iors_of_Ch.jpg

Turn 3

The Shadow Warriors started out the High Elf turn by rashly trying to charge the Hellcannon but failed their Terror check and ran. The rest of the High Elf elites just positioned themselves for next turn. In shooting the BT took 3 wounds from the Chariot. In combat another Prince fell in the combat with the Hellcannon and the Knights steamrolled the Archers, overrunning off of the table.

The Knights moved back onto the table coming up behind the rest of the Archers. The Horsemen charged the fleeing Shadow Warriors, cataching and killing them all, and the Chariot charged the Lions. In the meantime the wizard bunker continued to move around to the center of the board.

In magic Festus had his Buboes dispelled, and with little targets this round, new tactics had to be employed to ensure maximum damage. The Tzeentch Lord cast Flickering Fire of Tzeentch, killing five Archers, before then turning one of the lowly Maruaders protecting the wizards into a mighty Exalted Champion. The Nurgle Sorcerer killed one of the crew of the RBT with Buboes before then catapulting the newly formed Exalted Champion into the remaining crew with Steed of Shadows.

The combat was swift as the champion of the Dark Gods slew the remaining crewman and destroyed his machine. The Hellcannon killed another Prince holding them up for another turn. The Chariot's impact hits killed four White Lions but the Champion managed to take off the last wound of the Chariot.

Turn 4

Charges were made on both flanks by the Asur with the Lions charging the Horsemen and the Swordsmasters charging the Hounds. Both Chaos units fled and were uncaught. The only other moves were for the Archers to turn to face the Knights. In combat the Hellcannon slew the remaining Princes.

The Hellcannon that had just finished its rampaged went off on another one and charged the Swordsmasters. The Knights charged the Archers who fled in fear but managed to get away from the scions of evil. The three wizards conveined in the centre of the board to take out the White Lions. Also the Horsemen rallied and flicked around the flank once again thanks to feigned flight. The Hounds did not and fled the battle.

With the Tzeentch Sorcerer unable to cast without destroying his champion, Festus and the other Nurgle Sorcerer were left to deal with the Lions. They took out two with double Buboes and then sent the Exalted Champion into the remaining four with Steed of Shadows. In shooting the Hellcannon misfired and blew up.

The combat in the south was bloody and the BSB and Swordsmasters slew the Hellcannon outright dealing 7 wounds. The Exalted Champion across took a wound from the Lions before slaying two and then disappearing into thin air as the Tzeentch Wizard ended the spell.

Turn 5

The Archers rallied and all the elves turned in to face the forces of Chaos. Shooting did nothing, rendering the High Elf turn short.

In the Chaos turn the Knights charged the Archers who once again fled in fear but were thi time ran down. Magic was focused on the elites, with two Sowrdsmasters falling to a spell.

Turn 6

Turn 6 for the High Elves didn't exist, and come to Chaos turn an immense battery of Chaos magic saw the High Elves utterly obliterated except for the Mage, heralding another 20-0 victory for Chaos.

Banned

So the end of this report is long overdue, but I'm finally getting around to it. Going into round 3 I was top of the leaderboard and needed to play a hard fought last game to stay that way. There was only one player capable of knocking me off first place, and that was my round 3 opponent, and long time friend and Chaos/Dark Elf rival Rob Gleasure (ukko). Myself and Rob have a habit of playing the same armies, playing in the last rounds of tournaments and getting draws. It was going to be a great game and very tough, but if I could prosper it would be a well-deserved win.

I went into the match with an advantage, as Rob needed a Major Victory or a Massacre to pass me out and win the tournament, so I just had to hold back and minimise loses. But then again, that wouldn't make a for a memorable send-off now would it

So judging by what I experienced in game and putting the pieces together on the rest, I think this was Rob's list:

Keeper of Secrets [ Level 3 ]
    Siren Song, Etherblade, Tormentor Blade

Herald of Slaanesh
    BSB, Steed of Slaanesh, Great Icon of Despair, Siren Song

Masque of Slaanesh

Herald of Tzeentch

Master of Sorcery, Spell Breaker

6x Flesh Hounds
    5x Flesh Hounds

10x Daemonettes

Full Command, Banner of Ecstasy

10x Horrors
    10x Horrors

5x Furies

Fiend of Slaanesh

6x Flamers

Pyrocaster
    Not a terribly broken list, but a tough one at that, and I knew that getting the Masque and the Keeper down ASAP would be key. For spells I rolled Flickering Fire, Baleful Transmorg., Call to Glory, and Inferal Gateway on my Lord. Festus took Buboes and Curse of the Leper, and the Nurgle Sorcerer got Buboes and Rot, Glorius, Rot, with Dark Hand of Death on the book. The Tzeentch Herald took Metal, and the Keeper rolled Acquiescence, Slicing Shards, and Pavane of Slaanesh (not that it would matter as I kept his magic in check all game).

As you can see in the diagram for deployment below, we got a desert style board, with a big sand dune hill on one side, and some ruins on the other, with a ritual pool on the centre. There was also a wall on either side. Deployment can be seen below.

Turn 1

I managed to snatch the first turn which started with a bang with both Hellcannons rampaging forward. I knew this wasn't a game I could be defensive on, so I needed to get in there fast and be able to choose the fights for my Knights. The Horsemen on the left went full throttle across the board, with the others setting up a defensive bait for my Sorcerer Lord, who flew up on the hill for vantage point, but to be in range of the Keeper with Gateway and to also be out of range of the BSB's Siren Song. The Knights and Chariots angled up, while the Hounds on either side moved up full and angled to protect the wizard bunker respectively. The wizard bunker itself moved up to get its spells in range.

Magic proved to be fruitful enough with a Buboes taking a wound from the Masque and the Gateway taking 4 wounds from the Keeper. Shooting didn't exist because of the Hellcannons rampaging.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...s_of_Chaos.jpg

The Daemon turn started off with a charge by the Keeper on the Horsemen, who held to lead the beast off the table. The Masque agressively ran up beside the Sorcerer Lord while the rest of the Daemon line angled around to make a defensive perimeter while the Fiend moved forward to bait the Knights. The Flesh Hounds moved up to be out of the Horsemen's charge range while the Furies flew over in front of the wizard bunker.

Honestly I can't remember much about the Daemon magic particulars because I managed to dispel every spell that went through during the game. In shooting the Flamers managed to take a tonne of wounds from the nearest Hellcannon. The Masque also reduced the Lord's Ld by 1.

In combat then the Keeper naturally brutalised the Horsemen, overrunning off the board to safety.

Turn 2

Turnhttp://battlereporter.freeforums.org/posting.php?mode=reply&f=32&t=2616 2 started with a horrible realisation; I had misjduged the distance from my Sorcerer Lord to the Daemon BSB, as it was just in charge range and so the Lord fell for the Siren Song and charged in. The western-most Hellcannon rampaged and charged the Flesh Hounds. The Hounds protecting the wizard bunker charged the Furies to try get rid of them while the Knights and Chariot both charged the Fiend. The Horsemen on the west flank reformed to flank the Flesh Hounds next turn. The rest of the Chaos army moved around the left flank to break through the Daemon line.

Magic and shooting were a failure, collectively taking out only a single Flamer. Combat was more successful with 4 Furies dying to wounds and combat resolution, and the Fiend being eaten alive by the Knights and Chariot. The Hellcannon also managed to kill two Hounds. Unfortunately, the luck didn't hold as the Lord failed to deal any wounds and broke from combat.

The Daemon turn took off with a roar as the Masque, honoured to please Slaanesh charged and cut down the Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch. The Keeper of Secrets came back on the table and made a beeline for the wizard bunker. The Tzeentch Herald seeing the Chaos Knights incoming left his unit so as to survive the onslaught. In a similar fashion the BSB left the Daemonettes a took shelter near the ritual pool.

Taking back what I said earlier, the Keeper managed to take out the Chariot using the Slicing Shards of Slaanesh (bad memory FTL ). The Tzeentch Herald managed to miscast and lose a level. Shooting saw off only three Hounds, the other two fleeing. In combat the Hellcannon killed another Hound who dealt three wounds back, tieing the combat. The Hounds and Furies also fought to a stalemate thanks to the proximity of the Keeper.

Turn 3

The Chaos turn was full of charges, with the Khorne Knights charging the Horrors, the Nurgle Knights charging the Daemonettes, and the Horsemen charging the flank of the Flesh Hounds. The Hounds managed to rally and angle around the flank with the Chariot, trying to protect it from the Flamers. In the final move the Sorcerer of Nurgle moved over in the unit so as not to get Siren Songed even though it seemed clear that a straight charge from the Keeper was likely.

In a pivotal magic phase the Nurgle Sorcerer managed to get off Buboes of the Keeper which Rob failed to dispel. All watched as the important ward save was rolled...and passed. That one save proved to be the deciding factor in the outcome of the game. Shooting failed to hit anything so it was onto combat.

The Horsemen that had charged in against the Hounds fluffed their attacks and took two wounds in return. The Hellcannon managed to take one wound from a Hound, the other been taken by combat resolution. The Knights on that front butchered the Horrors and overran off the table. Thanks to the Keeper's Ld the last Furie fought the Hounds to a stalemate, and the Knight destroyed all but one of the Daemonettes, who held thanks to a combination of the Banner of Ecstasy and the BSB.

The Daemons retaliated with vengeance. The Flesh Hounds charged the flank of the Chaos Knights. The Keeper of Secrets charged the flank of the Hounds. The Masque moved out of harm's way to finish out.

Another round of shooting saw the Hellcannon destroyed and the Chariot nearby panic and run. In combat the Horsemen fluffed yet again leaving the remaining Hound to kill the other Hellcannon. The Horsemen managed to still win but the Hound passed the test. The other Hounds failed to kill any Knights who retaliated by killing the last Daemonette and wounding a Hound; it fell to combat resolution and the Knights reformed to face forward. The Keeper rounded out the turn by taking out the Hounds and overrunning into the wizard bunker, though they fled and got away.

Turn 4

The Chaos turn started off badly with the wizard bunker failing to rally and heading toward the table edge. To try and counter the charge from the Keeper next turn, the Hounds ran right on front of it. The Chariot also failed to rally and left the table. The Knights then came back onto the table facing the flank of the Horrors.

The turn turned straight to combat which went well. The Horsemen even though only S3 managed to take out the last Flesh Hound and the Knights between the attacks and combat resolution reduced the remaining Hounds down to one model. They then reformed back to the formation they were in so they Flamers couldn't hit them in the flank next turn.

With no choice, the Keeper charged the Hounds as planned, though unsightly to both of us the single Furie charged the fleeing wizard bunker which luckily got away. Lastly the Flamers, Horrors, and Tzeentch Sorcerer turned to face the Knights, hoping to obliterate them. Needless to say they failed. Combat was once sided, with the Hounds on both sides getting squished. The Keeper overran.

Turn 5

The Knights reared and called the charge. The Khorne Knights hit the Horrors while the Nurgle Knights hit the Flamers, taking no wounds from the Flames of Tzeentch. The Horsemen ran up the board edge hoping to try charge the Herald next turn. The unfortunate turn was the wizard bunker failing to rally yet again, landing on the board edge. They would have only more chance to rally and take down the Keeper.

The Knight combats went as expected with the Horrors getting obliterated and the Flamers being reduced to one man with one wound.

The Keeper turned to face the wizard bunker and the Tzeentch Herald moved behind the Knights to try and take cover in what was a very uneventful Daemon movement phase. Combat saw the last Flamer killed and the 6th turn come quickly.

Turn 6

Turn 6 failed to redeem a Chaos win with the wizard bunker running straight off the board. With no way to make any charges the rest of the troops shuffled for quarters and allowed the Daemon turn to come along.

With magic failing to do anything the rest of the Daemon turn became redundant and so the game ended with very little models still on the board.

Conclusions

The game was just as compelling and challenging as all of our games and as usual was a great way to end a tournament. There were plenty of tense moments, such as the Keeper saving that one wound from Buboes that could have turned the game around early on. There was a fair share of bad luck also with my forces failing a ridiculous amount of rally tests and panic tests (5 I think in the second half of the game from only two units). All and all a great game.

For the ultimate moment of the tourney, the deciding result. After totting up the scores the game was....a draw. Wow, what a finish and that left me at the top of the leaderboard, finally winning the tourney. I must say I was very pleased with my list and performance all day. All the games were great fun and the list performed beautifully. The final game in particular proved to be just what was expected. I have to thank the organisers for a great weekend. The tables looked fantastic with some excellent terrain, and the atmosphere was just what has come to be expected at Conclave over the years. Also a big thank you to Floody, Kevin, and Rob for three great games; no new opponents but these guys always give their best.

So bring on next year where I look forward to defending the title.

Interesting list. And grats on the win!
    That Shadestar was awesome lol. Accomplished squat though. Seriously sad actually.
    What kind of changes are you looking at making to your list for 8thed?
    Looking for a willing, worthy person to be sacrificed to the Dice Gods...
    And remember Boy and Girls....FEAR THE PINK FLUFFY BUNNIES!!

Banned

For 2500pts I've toned down the magic to just the Level 4 and put him on foot with the Enchanted Shield and changed his ward to a true ward. Got a BSB to replace the other wizards, and between the extra 250pts and the points from dropping my two Chariots I've bulked the Marauders into a Khorne GW-wielding Horde and taken some Tzeentch Warriors. Then for 2999pts I add a second unit of Tzeentch Warriors, and an Exalted Warrior-Mage.

Nice set of battles, and here's hoping you have a good time defending the title
    The only cure known for the dreaded illnes of Ruleslawyeritus is a swift dosage of punchinthefaceicilin. -Tapok
    The 7 Habits of Effective Gamers: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232493
    The ONLY reason i joined this forum was to join Malorians arenas. - teafloy_the_damned
    Join the Arena of Death!: http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
    Me on Youtube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMalorian?feature=mhum

Banned

Me too Mal, me too cheers.