Thread: Chaos Space Marine fandex by Son of Sanguinius

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Chapter Master Son of Sanguinius's Avatar

Chaos Space Marine fandex by Son of Sanguinius

Regardless of the fact that I have way too much on my proverbial plate at the moment, I have assembled the outline of my upcoming Chaos Space Marine fandex for your analysis and critiquing.

Please, if you have an opinion, give it. Good, bad, or otherwise, I only ask that you explain. Thank you to everyone that replies.

I also apologize if I've pillaged an idea from your fandex. I only do so because your creativity surpassed mine. I will credit you in the finished product.

MARKS OF CHAOS
    - Mark of Khorne (Preferred Enemy: Everyone)
    - Mark of Tzeentch (5+ invulnerable save, or +1 to existing invulnerable save, max 3+, psyker rolls 3D6 for psychic tests and uses two lowest)
    - Mark of Nurgle (Feel No Pain)
    - Mark of Slaanesh (Acute Senses, +1 Initiative)

- Mark of Khorne (w/ WS- preferred enemy; w/o WS, immune to psychic powers)
    - Mark of Tzeentch (vehicle always counts as obscured; when actually obscured, add 1 to cover save)
    - Mark of Nurgle (In shooting phase, all non-Nurgle models within 6” must pass a Toughness test or suffer a wound with no armor saves)
    - Mark of Slaanesh (vehicle has a Doom Siren, which it may fire in addition to any other weapons being fired)

TRAITS OF THE WARLORD
    To be updated. Like the Space Wolf sagas, meant to add flavor to characters.

DREADED TITLES
    To be updated. Meant to allow themed armies and add flavor to characters.

PSYCHIC POWERS
    - Aura of Corruption (place large blast template centered on psyker, all models touched must pass a Toughness test or suffer a wound with no armor or cover saves allowed; Nurgle demons and models with the Mark of Nurgle are unaffected)
    - Bolt of Change (36”, S9, AP1, Heavy 1, Lance)
    - Chains of Torment (18”, SX, AP-, Assault 1, target unit counts as failing a pinning test)
    - Doom Bolt (18”, S5, AP3, Assault 4)
    - Heart of Rage (Psyker and unit gain Furious Charge, Preferred Enemy, and Rage)
    - Lash of Submission (12”, SX, AP-, Assault 1, target unit counts as failing a morale check)
    - Mass Mutation (18”, 4+, AP 2, Assault 1, Blast, every 3 wounds caused creates a Chaos Spawn)
    - Veil of Nightmare (All enemy units within 12” take an immediate Morale check with a -1 Leadership penalty)
    - Wind of Chaos (Template, 4+, AP2, Assault 1)

ARMORY
    Wargear
    - Axe of Khorne (Power weapon that re-rolls failed to hit and to wound rolls)
    - Blade of Torment (Power weapon with poisoned attacks (4+). Model that suffers an unsaved wound drops to Initiative 1)
    - Chaos Armor (2+ armor save)
    - Chaos Terminator Armor (2+ armor save, +1 Toughness, Feel No Pain, Relentless, Deep Strike)
    - Collar of Khorne (Wearer and his unit are immune to psychic powers without a given strength value. 4+ invulnerable save against wounds caused by psychic powers)
    - Combat Drugs (The unit adds 1 to its Strength, Initiative, and Attacks and gains the Fleet and Rage special rule. The unit must take a Leadership test at the start of each turn. If this test is failed, the unit suffers 1 wound with no saves allow)
    - Demon Weapon: An upgrade to an existing weapon. At the start of the game, you must apply one of the following bonuses to a weapon with this rule.
    - Soul Devourer: Unsaved wounds caused by this weapon cause Instant Death
    - Reality Breaker: This weapon ignores armor saves and invulnerable saves, and adds D6 to armor penetration rolls for it.
    - Graceful Destruction: Attacks with this weapon are made at double Initiative. If the weapon normally strikes at Initiative 1, like a power fist or thunder hammer, the weapon strikes at the wielder’s normal Initiative.
    - Blade of Chaos: Attacks with the weapon never require worse than a 2+ to wound.
    - Desecrated Halo (2+ invulnerable save against ranged attacks, reduced to 4+ against Strength 7 or higher)
    - Icon of Chaos (Deep Striking units that arrive within 6” do not scatter)
    - Plague Sword (Power Weapon that causes Instant Death)
    - Staff of Change (Two-handed force weapon that re-rolls failed to wound rolls)
    - Storm Shield (4+ invulnerable save)

Gifts of the Gods
    - Monstrous Form (Demon Prince only. The model becomes a Monstrous Creature and adds 1 to its Strength, Toughness, and Wounds)
    - Empyrean Wings (The model moves as Jump Infantry)
    - Might of the Warp Spawn (The model adds 2 to its Strength)
    - Unholy Speed (The model adds 1 to its Weapon Skill and Initiative, and gains the Fleet special rule)
    - Invigorating Corruption (The model adds 1 to its Toughness and gains the Eternal Warrior special rule)
    - Chords of Insanity (When the model launches an assault, the unit being assaulted must pass a Leadership test or drop to Initiative 1 for that round of combat)
    - Eternal Nightmare (All Morale checks caused by the model are taken with a -2 Leadership penalty)
    - Obliterator Virus (Demon Prince and Chaos Lord only. The model loses all weapons, wargear, titles, traits, and other demonic gifts. The model adds 1 to its Strength, Toughness, and Wounds and gains Obliterator Weapons, Chaos Armor, and the Slow and Purposeful special rule.

ARMY LIST
    Headquarters
    Demon Prince
    WS-7; BS-5; S-5; T-5; W-3; I-5; A-4; Ld-10
    - Greater Demon: 4+ invulnerable save; Stubborn; counts as psyker

Chaos Lord
    WS-6; BS-5; S-4; T-4; W-3; I-5; A-3; Ld-10
    - Stubborn
    - Can upgrade to a psyker

Sorcerer
    WS-5; BS-5; S-4; T-4; W-2; I-4; A-2; Ld-10
    - Stubborn
    - Most potent psyker

Dark Apostle
    WS-5; BS-5; S-4; T-4; W-2; I-4; A-2; Ld-10
    - Stubborn
    - Morale buffs for friendly units and morale penalties for enemy units
    - Can be upgraded to a psyker

Warsmith
    WS-5; BS-5; S-4; T-4; W-2; I-4; A-2; Ld-9
    - Stubborn
    - Can repair vehicles and grants anti-vehicle bonuses to friendly units
    - Can be upgraded to a psyker

Progenitor
    WS-5; BS-5; S-4; T-4; W-2; I-4; A-2; Ld-9
    - Stubborn
    - Can heal friendly units and cripple enemy units
    - Can buff friendly units

Chosen Retinue
    - 3-10 per unit
    - Each model uses the profile and options of a Chosen Chaos Space Marine from the Veteran Chaos Space Marine squad entry.
    - Does not occupy a slot on the FOC

Elites
    Veteran Chaos Space Marine
    WS-4; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-8 (Veteran Chaos Space Marine)
    WS-5; BS-5; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-9 (Chosen Chaos Space Marine)
    - Stubborn; May choose one of the following: Infiltrate and Move Through Cover; Tank Hunters and Stealth; Counter-Attack and Preferred Enemy; Acute Senses and Outflank
    - Can be equipped for melee or ranged combat
    - Can take Terminator Armor

Veteran Berserker Marine Squad
    WS-5; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-8 (Veteran Berserker Marine)
    WS-6; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-5; A-3; Ld-9 (Chosen Berserker Marine)
    - Stubborn; Mark of Khorne (Preferred Enemy)
    - Fury of the Blood God: Counter-Attack, must pass Ld test at the start of the turn or become subject to Rage for the remainder of the game
    - Equipped with Khornate Chain Axes (Rending)
    - Can upgrade one Veteran to Chosen
    - Can take power weapons, lightning claws, power fists, thunder hammers
    - Chosen can take Axe of Khorne (power weapon that re-rolls failed to hit rolls), Collar of Khorne (resist psychic powers that target the squad)
    Can take Terminator Armor, Jump Packs, or Bikes

Veteran Plague Marine Squad
    WS-4; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4(3); A-2; Ld-8 (Veteran Plague Marine)
    WS-5; BS-5; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4(3); A-2; Ld-9 (Chosen Plague Marine)
    - Stubborn; Mark of Nurgle (Feel No Pain)
    - Nurgle’s Rot: Poisoned Attacks (4+), +1 to Toughness, -1 to Initiative
    - Equipped with Blight Grenades (assault and defensive grenades)
    - Chosen can take Plaguesword (power Weapon that causes Instant Death)

Veteran Noise Marine Squad
    WS-4; BS-5; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-5; A-2; Ld-8 (Veteran Noise Marine)
    WS-5; BS-5; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-6; A-2; Ld-9 (Chosen Noise Marine)
    - Stubborn; Mark of Slaanesh (Acute Senses, +1 Initiative)
    - All have Sonic Blasters (two firing modes- 24”, S5, AP5, Rapid Fire; Template, S5, AP5, Assault 1)
    - One model for every five can upgrade Sonic Blaster to Blastmaster (two firing modes- 36”, S8, AP4, Heavy 1, Blast; Template, S6, AP4, Assault 1)

Terminator Rubric Marine Squad
    WS-4; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-8 (Terminator Rubric Marine)
    WS-5; BS-5; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-9 (Chosen Rubric Sorcerer)
    - Stubborn; Mark of Tzeentch (5+ invulnerable or +1 to invulnerable, max 3+)
    - All is Dust: Feel No Pain. If there is no Sorcerer with the Mark of Tzeentch in the unit or within 6”, the unit has the Slow and Purposeful special rule and counts as being under the effects of Night Fighting
    - All models have Inferno Bolts (successful armor and invulnerable saves must be re-rolled, roll 2D6 for armor penetration and use highest)

Possessed Marine Squad
    WS-4; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-8 (Possessed Marine)
    WS-4; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4; A-3; Ld-9 (Chosen Possessed Marine)
    - Demonic: Stubborn, Rending; Feel No Pain, counts as a psyker
    - Can take any Mark of Chaos
    - Can take one Demonic Gift that applies to the whole squad

Troops
    Chaos Space Marine Squad
    WS-4; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-7 (Veteran Chaos Space Marine)
    WS-4; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-8 (Veteran Chaos Space Marine)
    - Stubborn
    - Can be equipped for melee or ranged combat
    - Can take any Mark of Chaos or Stealth, Infiltrate, or Counter-Attack
    - Can take Jump Packs

Berserker Marine Squad
    WS-4; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-7 (Berserker Marine)
    WS-5; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-8 (Veteran Berserker Marine)
    - Stubborn; Mark of Khorne (Preferred Enemy)
    - Fury of the Blood God: Counter-Attack, must pass Ld test at the start of the turn or become subject to Rage for the remainder of the game
    - Equipped with Khornate Chain Axes (Rending)
    - Can upgrade one model to a Veteran
    - One in five can take power weapon, lightning claw, power fist, or thunder hammer
    - Can take Jump Packs or Bikes

Plague Marine Squad
    WS-4; BS-4; S-4; T-4(5); W-1; I-4(3); A-2; Ld-7 (Veteran Plague Marine)
    WS-4; BS-4; S-4; T-4(5); W-1; I-4(3); A-2; Ld-8 (Veteran Plague Marine)
    - Stubborn; Mark of Nurgle (Feel No Pain)
    - Nurgle’s Rot: Poisoned Attacks (4+), +1 to Toughness, -1 to Initiative
    - Equipped with Blight Grenades (assault and defensive grenades)
    - Chosen can take Plaguesword (power Weapon that causes Instant Death)

Noise Marine Squad
    WS-4; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-5; A-2; Ld-7 (Veteran Noise Marine)
    WS-4; BS-5; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-5; A-2; Ld-8 (Veteran Noise Marine)
    - Stubborn; Mark of Slaanesh (Acute Senses, +1 Initiative)
    - All have Sonic Blasters (two firing modes- 24”, S5, AP5, Rapid Fire; Template, S5, AP5, Assault 1)
    - One model for every five can upgrade Sonic Blaster to Blastmaster (two firing modes- 36”, S8, AP4, Heavy 1, Blast; Template, S6, AP4, Assault 1)

Rubric Marine Squad
    WS-4; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-7 (Rubric Marine)
    WS-4; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-9 (Acolyte)
    - Stubborn; Mark of Tzeentch (5+ invulnerable or +1 to invulnerable, max 3+)
    - All is Dust: Feel No Pain. If there is no Sorcerer with the Mark of Tzeentch in the unit or within 6”, the unit has the Slow and Purposeful special rule and counts as being under the effects of Night Fighting
    - All models have Inferno Bolts (successful armor and invulnerable saves must be re-rolled, roll 2D6 for armor penetration and use highest)
    - Can upgrade one model to an Acolyte, who has one psychic power

Fast Attack
    Raptor Squad
    WS-4; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-7 (Raptor)
    WS-5; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-8 (Veteran Raptor)
    - Stubborn
    - Jump Packs,
    - Cannot take Marks of Chaos

Veteran Raptor Squad
    WS-5; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-8 (Veteran Raptor)
    WS-6; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-2; I-5; A-3; Ld-9 (Chosen Raptor)
    - Stubborn, Hit & Run
    - Jump Packs,
    - Cannot take Marks of Chaos

Warhound Squadron
    WS-4; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-7 (Warhound)
    WS-5; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-8 (Veteran Warhound)
    - Stubborn

Veteran Warhound Squadron
    WS-5; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-8 (Veteran Warhound)
    WS-6; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-2; I-5; A-3; Ld-9 (Chosen Warhound)
    - Stubborn, Skilled Riders

Night Talon Squadron
    BS-4; FA-10; SA-10; RA-10
    - Land Speeders

Heavy Support
    Havoc Squad
    WS-4; BS-4; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-7 (Havoc)
    WS-4; BS-5; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-8 (Veteran Havoc)
    - Stubborn

Veteran Havoc Squad
    WS-4; BS-5; S-4; T-4; W-1; I-4; A-2; Ld-8 (Veteran Havoc)
    WS-4; BS-5; S-4; T-4; W-2; I-4; A-2; Ld-9 (Chosen Havoc)
    - Stubborn, Tank Hunters, Acute Senses

Obliterators
    WS-4; BS-5; S-5; T-5; W-3; I-4; A-2; Ld-9
    - 1-3 per squad
    - Slow and Purposeful, Feel No Pain, Stubborn
    - Chaos Armor (2+ armor save, 5+ invulnerable save)
    - Obliterator Weapons (lascannon, multi-melta, plasma cannon, heavy flamer; counts as lightning claw with additional D6 armor penetration in close combat)

Dreadnought
    WS-4; BS-4; S-6; FA-12; SA-12; RA-11; I-4; A-3
    - Can upgrade to a Sorcerer, Fire Frenzy, or Crazed

Predator
    BS-4; FA-12; SA-12; RA-11
    -

Defiler
    WS-4; BS-4; S-8; FA-12; SA-12; RA-11; I-4; A-3
    -

Whirlwind
    BS-4; FA-11; SA-11; RA-10
    -

Vindicator
    BS-4; FA-13; SA-13; RA-12
    -
    Land Raider
    BS-5; FA-14; SA-14; RA-14
    -
    Last edited by Son of Sanguinius; 27-08-2010 at 04:05.
    The Arena of Death, where I write the duel you imagine.

The Coming Apocalyse, my blog for 40k and FB rules development.

Re: Chaos Space Marine fandex by Son of Sanguinius

I've been thinking that Chaos needs a new unit type. What I was thinking is that the normal chaos marine squad becomes 5-10 as normal. Then you get a larger 5-20 sized unit of Supplicants/Wannabes.

These are the equivalent of Chaos marine neophytes but in the tradition of chaos they are used as fodder units until only the strongest are left alive.

It separates the chaos marines more from the loyal marines a bit more, gives them a larger horde type unit but keeps it within the context of the legions.

Something like:

WS3 BS3 S4 T4 W1 I3 A1 Ld6(going off your Ld system) Sv3+ or 4+

I think that a Sv4+ blood claw type unit would be in keeping with chaos marines. Perhaps with a 'Task Master' squad leader who oversees and evaluates the fodder's worth during battle (so a normal chaos marine - or perhaps champion).

Hellebore
    "Humanity's Insignificance pales in comparison to its Ego." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

"The capacity to think does not assign importance to your thoughts, it merely indicates you can." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

Quote Originally Posted by Hellebore View Post
    I've been thinking that Chaos needs a new unit type. What I was thinking is that the normal chaos marine squad becomes 5-10 as normal. Then you get a larger 5-20 sized unit of Supplicants/Wannabes.

These are the equivalent of Chaos marine neophytes but in the tradition of chaos they are used as fodder units until only the strongest are left alive.

It separates the chaos marines more from the loyal marines a bit more, gives them a larger horde type unit but keeps it within the context of the legions.

Something like:

WS3 BS3 S4 T4 W1 I3 A1 Ld6(going off your Ld system) Sv3+ or 4+

I think that a Sv4+ blood claw type unit would be in keeping with chaos marines. Perhaps with a 'Task Master' squad leader who oversees and evaluates the fodder's worth during battle (so a normal chaos marine - or perhaps champion).

Hellebore
    Interesting unit. What would be it's battlefield appeal? Cheap? Are they frenzied like Blood Claws?

Mainly cheap. I don't think they'd have any real special rules except the marine level strength and toughness. It's just a hole I think chaos needs filled because they really just gloss over the procedure.

I suppose you could give them rage and something else to represent their enthusiasm in attempting to curry favour. Even moreso than the space wolves chaos neophytes are going to want to impress as graphically and as spectacularly as possible in order to be seen as 'worthy'. I imagine they'd be put in death pits until only the toughest survive and then implanted with organs and sent into battle ala the blood claws to further weed them out.

I would think that, given the rather blase use of resources on blood claws as well as the effort going into making them, the space wolves are capable of sustaining the high casualty rates the blood claws accrue. Although most chaos legions couldn't sustain as many, I think it goes to show that they could at least have some greater capacity to recruit than we are currently given.

The space marine scout is an odd beast, arguably infiltration requires more skill than other activities so it's odd their newbies are the ones that learn how to do it.

I think a small horde of scout equivalents used as fodder to bulk out the numbers would be an interesting addition to chaos.

Hellebore
    "Humanity's Insignificance pales in comparison to its Ego." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

"The capacity to think does not assign importance to your thoughts, it merely indicates you can." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

Mainly cheap.
    A la Cultists in DoW?

In which case I would just keep them a VERY cheap unit (per model) but with S/T3 and a big unit size minimum (15+? 20+?). After all, the Chaos wouldn't want them to have competition only with 9 other guys - they should compete with another 14-19!

Mainly cheap. I don't think they'd have any real special rules except the marine level strength and toughness. It's just a hole I think chaos needs filled because they really just gloss over the procedure.

I suppose you could give them rage and something else to represent their enthusiasm in attempting to curry favour. Even moreso than the space wolves chaos neophytes are going to want to impress as graphically and as spectacularly as possible in order to be seen as 'worthy'. I imagine they'd be put in death pits until only the toughest survive and then implanted with organs and sent into battle ala the blood claws to further weed them out.

I would think that, given the rather blase use of resources on blood claws as well as the effort going into making them, the space wolves are capable of sustaining the high casualty rates the blood claws accrue. Although most chaos legions couldn't sustain as many, I think it goes to show that they could at least have some greater capacity to recruit than we are currently given.

The space marine scout is an odd beast, arguably infiltration requires more skill than other activities so it's odd their newbies are the ones that learn how to do it.

I think a small horde of scout equivalents used as fodder to bulk out the numbers would be an interesting addition to chaos.

Hellebore
    Including a semi-horde CSM unit seems a little strange to me, as I'd imagine that the Chaos Warbands prize wargear and fresh Space Marines even more than their loyalist brethren. That said, such a unit does seem to be a logical step for the recruitment process, which as you say, is glossed over.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaSwift View Post
    A la Cultists in DoW?

In which case I would just keep them a VERY cheap unit (per model) but with S/T3 and a big unit size minimum (15+? 20+?). After all, the Chaos wouldn't want them to have competition only with 9 other guys - they should compete with another 14-19!
    I really keep going back and forth on cultists. I know Alpha Legion players and Word Bearers players like them.

Part of me says hell no because it's Codex: Chaos Space Marines, not Codex: Hordes of Chaos. I plan to do a Lost and the Damned codex anyway, and I can't see CSM using hordes of cultists in the scale of the metagame. Apocalypse for sure though.

Part of me says hell yes because some CSM use cultists in small bands for disruption. But I don't want the fandex dominated by a cheap expendable unit that is meant to infiltrate and unleash melta spam.

Heres how I'd do it. Make these guys the hardcore veterans, and make the lighter "Chaos Raiders" or pirates or whatever as an elite choice in your Lost and the Damned codex. Lost and the Damned always fit the newer breakaways better anyway. Lost and the Damned just sounds like post heresy traitor marines like the Red Corsairs.

So squads are 5-10 everyone is a hardened marine veteran as chosen are now and make chosen something hideous. Marines can take one of five marks as people forget Undivided is a mark not the lack thereof. If anything its the superior mark.

Basically, Chaos Space Marines are naturally space marine sergeant stats (which is still in the realm of decades to centuries of service). Chosen are going to be able to take gear that will out shoot Sternguard or outfight Vanguard.

Basically you'll have six configurations for units: Unmarked, Undivided, Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh, Tzeentch. Although I think you may be better off splitting them into six choices for different slots. Ie. Beserkers, Plague Marines, Rubric Marines, "Forsworn" (Undivided), Noise Marines, Chaos Space Marines as your six troop choices (mein got) because more units actually makes the army more streamlined. You can tool your weapon choices to the unit rather then to the army. Marks are clumsy. Its not that hard to think of names for Slaanesh Havocs vs Khorne Havocs. One could have heavy flamers, heavy bolters, and multimeltas; the other could be done with sonic weapon options. Regardless I'd make Havocs like Longfangs rather then devastators. Less is more. Then you could have special flamery things that shoot plague gas, or plague launchers that either shoot acid for anti tank or plague gas for anti personnel or just plain old heavy bolters for Nurgle Havocs. Then you can customize an assault unit to each choice for your fast attack slot. Khorne and unmarked might be jump infantry. Nurgle might be mounted in a rhino and armed to the teeth with plague claws (I'm kidding about the name.)

Black Legion: Assorted Marks/Undivided
    Word Bearers: Undivided
    Night Lords: Unmarked
    Iron Warriors: Unmarked
    Emperor's Children: Slaanesh
    Thousand Sons: Tzeentch
    Death Guard: Nurgle
    World Eaters: Khorne
    Alpha Legion: Unmarked

That's six totally different styles. Unmarked will still have options like infiltrate and scout and stuff on their units. Khorne will have rage, counter attack, and furious charge to represent their battle prowess. Nurgle will have Feel No Pain and Relentless etc. I'd also change the possessed unit to a possessed model like the Lone Wolf. Think a weaker version daemon prince type. Shy of a champion possessed with a powerful daemon I don't think possession is anything that out of the ordinary. IMO, most chosen would be so saturated with chaos you'd think they were possessed. Thats what being chosen is. You're as much the chosen favorite of the dark gods as the chosen of the warlord.
    Trying to figure out how to play 9th Age with round bases...

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    Heres how I'd do it. Make these guys the hardcore veterans, and make the lighter "Chaos Raiders" or pirates or whatever as an elite choice in your Lost and the Damned codex. Lost and the Damned always fit the newer breakaways better anyway. Lost and the Damned just sounds like post heresy traitor marines like the Red Corsairs.

So squads are 5-10 everyone is a hardened marine veteran as chosen are now and make chosen something hideous. Marines can take one of five marks as people forget Undivided is a mark not the lack thereof. If anything its the superior mark.

Basically, Chaos Space Marines are naturally space marine sergeant stats (which is still in the realm of decades to centuries of service). Chosen are going to be able to take gear that will out shoot Sternguard or outfight Vanguard.
    So more of a Codex: Traitor Legions?

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    Basically you'll have six configurations for units: Unmarked, Undivided, Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh, Tzeentch. Although I think you may be better off splitting them into six choices for different slots. Ie. Beserkers, Plague Marines, Rubric Marines, "Forsworn" (Undivided), Noise Marines, Chaos Space Marines as your six troop choices (mein got) because more units actually makes the army more streamlined. You can tool your weapon choices to the unit rather then to the army. Marks are clumsy. Its not that hard to think of names for Slaanesh Havocs vs Khorne Havocs. One could have heavy flamers, heavy bolters, and multimeltas; the other could be done with sonic weapon options. Regardless I'd make Havocs like Longfangs rather then devastators. Less is more. Then you could have special flamery things that shoot plague gas, or plague launchers that either shoot acid for anti tank or plague gas for anti personnel or just plain old heavy bolters for Nurgle Havocs. Then you can customize an assault unit to each choice for your fast attack slot. Khorne and unmarked might be jump infantry. Nurgle might be mounted in a rhino and armed to the teeth with plague claws (I'm kidding about the name.)

Black Legion: Assorted Marks/Undivided
    Word Bearers: Undivided
    Night Lords: Unmarked
    Iron Warriors: Unmarked
    Emperor's Children: Slaanesh
    Thousand Sons: Tzeentch
    Death Guard: Nurgle
    World Eaters: Khorne
    Alpha Legion: Unmarked

That's six totally different styles. Unmarked will still have options like infiltrate and scout and stuff on their units. Khorne will have rage, counter attack, and furious charge to represent their battle prowess. Nurgle will have Feel No Pain and Relentless etc. I'd also change the possessed unit to a possessed model like the Lone Wolf. Think a weaker version daemon prince type. Shy of a champion possessed with a powerful daemon I don't think possession is anything that out of the ordinary. IMO, most chosen would be so saturated with chaos you'd think they were possessed. Thats what being chosen is. You're as much the chosen favorite of the dark gods as the chosen of the warlord.
    I really wanted to do this, but man, there are just so many units.

Heavy Support: Standard Havocs, Rubric Havocs, Berserker Havocs, Plague Havocs, Noise Havocs

That's one unit type for unit FOC slot expanded into five.

I'm not ruling it out, I'm just saying that will get carried away really fast without specific tweaking.

Perhaps then the best option is to do multiple codicies? Rather than trying to shoehorn everything into a single codex the way GW did, go the marine codex route and do up separate lists for all of them.

Only at apocalypse sizes would they all band together anyway...

Hellebore

Chapter Master Imperialis_Dominatus's Avatar

For the most part I like how you did Marks (Acute Senses for Slaanesh units really surprised me, actually, but it's fitting). I think the Invulnerable save for Tzeentch units is lazy, but my system is, as you know, pretty complicated.

I eagerly await the addition of Dreaded Titles. Sounds interesting. Will Traits of the Warlord be a la Chapter Traits or Paths to Glory?

The Daemon Weapon as an upgrade is interesting too. I5 Powerfist?

I think a 2+ Invuln of any kind is crazy. But I thought 3+ Invulns were crazy too. It's good that it doesn't entirely counteract Instant Death by reverting to 4+ for S7+ though.

You have a preponderance of unit types. Different Vets for each Mark, different Troops for each Mark, different HQs... it seems unwieldy to me.

Vet Skills are something that I've seen a lot of justification against. Attrition is the main one. Perhaps for Chosen/Vets.

I like Col. Tart's idea of making Possessed a Lone Wolf unit. Perhaps make them act as an Independent Character until the Possession takes hold mid-battle, at which point they must leave the unit and run at the enemy? That way they could use squads as a shield until they're close enough to get their talons wet.

EDIT: Perhaps the Aspirant unit could be an interesting addition, but I think leaving it up to the background differentiates Traitors/Chaos from Loyalists. All the Loyalists are like all "Here's your Neophyte unit, here's your Initiate unit, here's your choppy or shooty Initiate units, here's your vets, here's your tanks, here's your leaders." Chaos is more like "look, make up your own story on how the Legionary birds and the bees, the more gruesome the better." I kind of prefer it.
    Last edited by Imperialis_Dominatus; 10-09-2010 at 08:12.
    Rules - CSM - BA - LatD (when I find my notes)
    Stories - Perish the Weak - Brothers in Chaos - The Baron Rises