Quote Originally Posted by Hellebore View Post
Mainly cheap. I don't think they'd have any real special rules except the marine level strength and toughness. It's just a hole I think chaos needs filled because they really just gloss over the procedure.

I suppose you could give them rage and something else to represent their enthusiasm in attempting to curry favour. Even moreso than the space wolves chaos neophytes are going to want to impress as graphically and as spectacularly as possible in order to be seen as 'worthy'. I imagine they'd be put in death pits until only the toughest survive and then implanted with organs and sent into battle ala the blood claws to further weed them out.

I would think that, given the rather blase use of resources on blood claws as well as the effort going into making them, the space wolves are capable of sustaining the high casualty rates the blood claws accrue. Although most chaos legions couldn't sustain as many, I think it goes to show that they could at least have some greater capacity to recruit than we are currently given.

The space marine scout is an odd beast, arguably infiltration requires more skill than other activities so it's odd their newbies are the ones that learn how to do it.

I think a small horde of scout equivalents used as fodder to bulk out the numbers would be an interesting addition to chaos.

Hellebore
Including a semi-horde CSM unit seems a little strange to me, as I'd imagine that the Chaos Warbands prize wargear and fresh Space Marines even more than their loyalist brethren. That said, such a unit does seem to be a logical step for the recruitment process, which as you say, is glossed over.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaSwift View Post
A la Cultists in DoW?

In which case I would just keep them a VERY cheap unit (per model) but with S/T3 and a big unit size minimum (15+? 20+?). After all, the Chaos wouldn't want them to have competition only with 9 other guys - they should compete with another 14-19!
I really keep going back and forth on cultists. I know Alpha Legion players and Word Bearers players like them.

Part of me says hell no because it's Codex: Chaos Space Marines, not Codex: Hordes of Chaos. I plan to do a Lost and the Damned codex anyway, and I can't see CSM using hordes of cultists in the scale of the metagame. Apocalypse for sure though.

Part of me says hell yes because some CSM use cultists in small bands for disruption. But I don't want the fandex dominated by a cheap expendable unit that is meant to infiltrate and unleash melta spam.