Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: doomwheel vs hpa

Librarian

doomwheel vs hpa

how usefull do you think is the doomwheel? i am starting a skaven army - never played, and am quite new to the game so i think it is kinda pricey for what it does? the hpa altough more expensive seems to be more point efficient?

Chapter Master NixonAsADaemonPrince's Avatar

Re: doomwheel vs hpa

I'd go with the HPA (or two), I prefer them to doomwheels and I'd say they are a bit more competitive, but doomwheels aren't far behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    New smiley: :willow:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zink View Post
    It's a depressing thought that we're as good as it gets in a universe full of amazing things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzooky View Post
    I think all UM flyers should be covered by a new special rule called: Whooshing machines live longer with Calgar...

why not get both? The HPA and the doomwheel combo is perhaps 1 of the cheesiest out there and lets you handle both kinds of enemies (HPA vs blocks for sheer killing power, and doomwheel vs monsters)

Librarian

well i am planning for a 2000-2250 points army (see my army list thread) so both is too pricey if i want to have a bell... if i up to 2500 points i have to consider if i shall get some jezzails, gut runnres or a doomwheel

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis7884 View Post
    how usefull do you think is the doomwheel? i am starting a skaven army - never played, and am quite new to the game so i think it is kinda pricey for what it does? the hpa altough more expensive seems to be more point efficient?
    mirror match.

who wins?

btw HPA gets my vote because you never lose control of its movement.

I dunno about useful, but the Doomwheel is an awesome kit and brilliant fun to play with or against because it's so damned unpredictable and basically just the most Skaven thing you can field.

HPA is good from a collecting perspective as without an official model you can go crazy with your own conversion. Personally I imagine it is a fusing of two or three rat ogres, bit tricky with the metal kits but if the Island of Blood ogres are a sign of things to come then you may have plastic kits soon to play with

Librarian

well hpa will get a model within the next 6-9 months and yeah, thats why i'd love to bring in the doomwheel, cause its so pure skaven lol...but the hpa seems just so much better, more predictable, regeneration, unit killer...hmmm

I have been playing for a while, and frankly I hate that damn doom wheel, but I have not had the Privilege, (Horror?), of facing a HPA.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis7884 View Post
    well hpa will get a model within the next 6-9 months and yeah, thats why i'd love to bring in the doomwheel, cause its so pure skaven lol...but the hpa seems just so much better, more predictable, regeneration, unit killer...hmmm
    Not 6-9 months, rather more like 4-5 months, it's coming in January.
    It's a depressing thought that we're as good as it gets in a universe full of amazing things.
    I think all UM flyers should be covered by a new special rule called: Whooshing machines live longer with Calgar...

Quote Originally Posted by Citadel97501 View Post
    I have been playing for a while, and frankly I hate that damn doom wheel, but I have not had the Privilege, (Horror?), of facing a HPA.
    I have. Countless times.

If you can't magic/cannon/justkillitsbloodyarse it by turn 2... when he hits your line, its pretty much over coz he will just go on a rampage until the rest of the Skaven army arrives.

Shake your head if your opponent brings 2.

I had the thing die and come back with 3 -4 -5 wounds or leave behind a bunch of rats to continue killing the rest of my army.

then again, i killed quite a number with my great cannons so its all not that bad right?

wrong... i only killed them because they failed their bloody regen rolls.

It has impact hits, random special attacks (ALL GOOD), stubborn, 6 wounds, regen and now thunder stomp!

i give my congratulations to EDIT Jeremy Vetock for creating the most powerful rare choice in warhammer fantasy.

all you guys who whine about the steam-tank? you guys obviously never faced two HPAs before. let alone 1 that now can be backed with 2 doomwheels at 2500 pts.

Chapter Master

I run a dual doomwheel list, because I couldn't find the points to field both a doomwheel and an HPA.

If you want to play and win tournaments bring 2 HPA's. If you want to have fun games, where players won't hate your list- bring doomwheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Putty View Post
    i give my congratulations to robin cruddance for creating the most powerful rare choice in warhammer fantasy.
    I think it was Jeremy Vetock. But your point still stands .

Librarian

argh skaven has just so many choices...its hardly possible to bring a bell a hpa and a doomwheel within 2000 points...with 2500 its possible but also tight...and i kinda like the fluff from the wheel more lol...cause i somehow think i will not like the model for the hpa (judging from the artwork and description) maybe im wrong...the new models from the book look all nice altough a bit cartoony (that seems to be the way gw is heading in general...not to my liking but)...we'll see...
    you need to give the skaven at least one hard hitting unit... ogres are shot away before they arrive anywhere and the dw well..if it arrives... so... :-) but honestly, instead of a hpa, i'd rather had some kind of exoskelet wearing elite unit or some kind of skaven dreadnought (something more techi than mutati lol)

and it will only be the strongest until the next greenskin book when they will introduce the squiggoth to warhammer fantasy
    Last edited by Nemesis7884; 28-08-2010 at 15:50.

Quote Originally Posted by NixonAsADaemonPrince View Post
    I think it was Jeremy Vetock. But your point still stands .
    Thanks for the reminder! Edited for accuracy.

It was a Freudian slip.

I still haven't recovered from what Cruddance did to the Tyranid codex, which needless to say went the other way of what a HPA is.

Librarian

maybe they are constantly nerving and buffing armies with every new book simply that people will have an incentive to collect more armies...one gets nerved, they are annoyed and start collecting something else...maybe they are not selling enough skaven and wanted to make them more interesting... i think the dynamics are good...makes games always different, always something new... are there any statistics on the sales of different armies?

Quote Originally Posted by Putty View Post
    Thanks for the reminder! Edited for accuracy.

It was a Freudian slip.

I still haven't recovered from what Cruddance did to the Tyranid codex, which needless to say went the other way of what a HPA is.

No probs. I think Robin must have been told to nerf Nids after he turned Guard into the vendetta/melta vet list of doom. I like that codex though, good fun on the variety basis (and I'd say the same about the Nids one, points costs just needed to be lower in places).

Quote Originally Posted by russellmoo View Post
    If you want to play and win tournaments bring 2 HPA's. If you want to have fun games, where players won't hate your list- bring doomwheels.
    Agreed, i see doomwheels and know they are good choices but they are imensely skaven. I have never had to face HPAs as I dont play in tourneys (leagues at the GW, but those are nice and relaxed).

HPA is a better choice if you are going FTW
    Remember, Orks think tac-tics are little mints
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayden63 View Post
    Matt Ward is the worst thing to happen to balance since the Fatman stood on the end of a teeter totter my 5 yr old was using.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    people don't often let mounted solo characters like that run around unmolested. Not that a Slaaneshi character would mind being molested...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sclep View Post
    Kill it with fire?

The Hellpit Abomination (and other large, regenerating gribblies) is the reason why I have a "throwaway" unit of 5 Cold One Knights with the flaming banner.

Thankfully I never ran into one before I decided to invest in the unit, but the one time I did (he was running two; I'd call him a bastard but I have two hydras) I was thankful. With the +1 A from the Cauldron they killed one whilst the other was hacked to bits by a horde of Witches.

My lizardmen fear them though, utterly horrible units to have work against you in pairs. The Doomwheel isn't bad by any means, it's just outclassed by the HPA due to its comparitively low points cost. If it were 50-75 points more I think it would be a little fairer on the Doomwheel.

They have different roles. The HPA is a juggernaut unit - you point, click and dish out the damage which has been enchanced further by the 8th ed thunderstomp rules. The doomwheel can also do some heavy hitting with its impact hits but it's nowhere near as good as the HPA at this. Its main use is the lightning it unleashes. Because each shot hits automatically and does d6 wounds it is an ideal (if unreliable) way of killing multi wound lone models like enemy monsters - something which the rest of the army isn't so hot on. It also manoeuvres a little easier because it can pivot once during a charge and as many times as it wants normally.

Both also have the plus points of 360 degree charges, not allowing a charge reaction and pursuing 3d6 which makes them great for running down units from combat.

The HPA is more powerful and more direct (thus easy to use) but also more points. Personally the sheer skavenyness of the doomwheel and its great model is one of the main reasons I play skaven. Its also well worth its points tag.

It is pretty simple. Doomwheel for killing big nasties, stuff that would probably take out the hell pit in a single combat phase (greater demons, dragon lords, etc).

Hell pit for wrecking expensive units of troops.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast