Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Infrequently Updated Mutant Beastmen Army Project

Littleborough, Lancashire. Hub of the Universe

Infrequently Updated Mutant Beastmen Army Project

I have been slowly kitbashing/converting mutants from a list I made of the mutants that appear in The Enemy Within Campaign for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1st edition.

When I say "slowly", I mean I began this about two years ago making about a dozen in a month and didn't get around to painting any until a few weeks ago!

If I can stop myself from being distracted I was thinking it'd be a good idea to develop my plan a little further by making a working "counts as" army to play in Warhammer while still ticking off the models from my list.

I placed a thread in The Warhammer general discussion forum asking for ideas as to what I could do. So far Beastmen and Empire seem to be the two best options. I was originally going to go with Beastmen as I had already painted up a regiment (when they were Beasts of Chaos as you can tell by the Gor/Ungor mix)

However, now I'm thinking that an "Evil" mutant Empire army might be pretty nice to look at. I could even take Beastmen or WoC as allies.

Anyway, for the time being I thought I'd post my efforts for your amusement. I'm nowhere near as proficient as half the modelers on this thing but maybe if I keep at it I'll improve.

All advice and criticism is most welcome.

So, here's a snap of my painted mutants so far:

Last edited by Abraham Danglebreech; 17-10-2010 at 23:03. Reason: Didn't read instructions on how to add images!

Re: Infrequently updated Mutant army project

I'm hearing you mrtn Not going to base them properly til I know for sure which way I'm going. I have a few on my desk which need painting, two of which may require weighted bases if I go 20mm (a bit top heavy)

I think these are really cool.

Glad you think so Jormi. Here's one I finished off today:

Last edited by Abraham Danglebreech; 17-10-2010 at 23:06. Reason: Extra pics

agreed with mrtn, there's some very eerie form of character about him too (the harpy not mrtn ). And your mutants remind me very very much of Bosch's paintings of purgatory and Hell, in particular that bird headed mutant.

Do you have some plans for larger mutants say like minotaurs, but without actually using minotaurs and creating some burly mutants perhaps once being ogres, orcs or maybe even creatures like treekin ?

Since your from the UK i figured you wouldn't get the reference but the middle mutant reminds me of the SNL skit for the Coneheads

That's looking really nice, would make a kick-ass harpy.
    Thanks mrtn. I was thinking that. Originally he was going to have a chain hanging down from his wrist. I thought he could be used as an Ungor at the back of the old BoC Gor/Ungor herd, and could be thrown up front when fighting. Harpy would be good, but still not decided on which army I'm going for

Do you have some plans for larger mutants say like minotaurs, but without actually using minotaurs and creating some burly mutants perhaps once being ogres, orcs or maybe even creatures like treekin ?
    I've actually already made a spawn. Used the plastic kit but still ended up kitbashing it. If I go for Beastmen I'll use as is but if I go for Evil Empire I reckon I could use it as a unit filler. I'm not happy with the paint job so I'll post a pic up of that when I've tweeked it. I actually have to make a couple of specific bigguns from the list: "creature with large body, incredibly small head with axe" and "Slime creature - phosphorescent, obscenely slimy tentacles with huge bloated, amorphous body". Maybe a beast of Nurgle would do for the latter. I like the idea of doing more big fellas. Hmmm, Treekin That talk of Bosch has given me an idea for a standard design. Cheers Kronos.

Since your from the UK i figured you wouldn't get the reference but the middle mutant reminds me of the SNL skit for the Coneheads
    Funny you should say that, but as I was doing the head I kept thinking about Dan Aykroyd Never saw it on SNL (though they have shown bits of it over here). I've seen about 5 mins of the film. What larks

Time for some late night photo shifting.

This one isn't on the list, just fancied it:

Not entirely happy with it. I think I need to change the purple skirt, and I think the head needs repositioning to side profile so that the eye is visible. Quite pleased with the octopus bit though.
    Last edited by Abraham Danglebreech; 17-10-2010 at 23:10.

Terrific stuff. The freehand banner is exceptional!

I flipping love Empire mutants. The WFRP books make them come across really well - not too ridden and spawnlike, but not just 'oh no I'm a beastman too!' all the time. Your models look great, too - bit too many mutations on each fella for my liking, but it's clearly the look you're going for and it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    You never go full Corax.

Banned

Absolutely PMSL at the Mona Lisa banner, amazing stuff!

Thank ye thank ye. Glad you like the banner Fanny Crowbar, it was actually pretty easy to paint (found it easier to do than painting minis, which is a struggle. Also, because its such a recognisable image, you can get away with a lot as folks tend to project their memory of the real one onto it). Cheers Davidian, I tittered somewhat as I did it. Spetswalshe, I'm hearing you regarding mutation. Once I've converted the ones on the list I'm thinking that I can dilute the mutation factor down a little by adding less obvious muties to the units (at my current rate I reckon I'll be done in 3 years )

Lots of great stuff. The banner, the basing, and how you do the rusty metal really stick out to me.
    Without judgement
    Perception would increase a million times
    -Chuck

. Space Wolves Plog .

.;

Did you seriously just re-paint the mona lisa on a 2 inch piece of plastic?

Wow. Everything's looking very cool. I like the harpy
    Quote Originally Posted by nagash66 View Post
    The Empire doesn't take you seriously unless you have sacked Nuln.

Thank you mdiscala. I'm getting quite fond of verdigris and rust Glad you like the harpy/winged mutant ftayl5. Its my favourite so far. The feet and wings come from a Chaos Fury. The trousers are from the Empire Free Company box. The torso is from the plastic Crypt Ghoul set. The arms are Zombie but the spear head came from the old Skeleton box. The head is from the Spawn set.

Here is today's effort. I like the modeling but not over-the-moon with the paint job.

Its another one not on the list. I wanted to make one that looked as if it was "erupting" into a spawn or something

That's wicked.
    Quote Originally Posted by nagash66 View Post
    The Empire doesn't take you seriously unless you have sacked Nuln.

Cheers ftayl5

I have almost finished painting all the kitbash jobs from 2008 now. Three more to go and then I can start making new ones. Thought I'd get this one out of the way first (about time I put up some WIP shots like I'm supposed to)

I'm hoping I can get it done by tomorrow evening. Pics to follow.

I enjoy everything about this project.
    My Plog of Random Fantasy Stuff! http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...=230428&page=8The Everqueen, Orcs, and more!

The Tale of Terrain Builders! If you aren't in it, you should be. If you are and haven't posted, shame on you!
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...83#post5378983

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast