Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Infrequently Updated Mutant Beastmen Army Project

Littleborough, Lancashire. Hub of the Universe

Re: Infrequently updated Mutant army project

SamVimes, nice one, glad you like it

So much for getting the banner dude finished. This is as far I got:

Not finished yet obviously, and I have not even touched the bearer. The face is copied from a Durer self portrait. Film buffs might recognise it from the "Bram Stoker's Dracula" film, where it was repainted using Gary Oldman's mush.

Hoping to complete it this week if I get time.

Have a great week folks

Sick sick sick banner. I did famous paintings on my chaos banner's too. You know Gustav Dore? Did the work for "The Divine Comedy"
    Without judgement
    Perception would increase a million times
    -Chuck

. Space Wolves Plog .

.;

mutants are sooooo much better than beastmen, this log is freaking awesome!!

Glad you like mdiscala. The naked demon on your banner is from Orlando Furioso? (I've been googling ) Thanks for bringing Gustav Dore to my attention. Just spent the last hour looking at the illustrations for the Divine Comedy. Amazing stuff!

Cheers mrtn and StormCrow thanks! (Don't go on about mutants being better than Beastmen too much though, mrtn will have your guts for garters )

Finally finished the standard (minus bearer). Tweaked the Durer a little and then after looking at Monsterzonk's blog I dirtied up the banner itself as I think it needed it.

Excuse my gnarly dried up mits appearing in the shot:

The bearer next.

Thanks for all the feedback

Yeah Dore is great, my brother is covered in tattoos of his stuff. The demon is also from the divine comedy. http://www.doreillustrations.com/div...ges/05-047.jpg Ill have to check out Orlando Furioso though.

The banner looks good with the dirt, definitely.
    Without judgement
    -Chuck

. Space Wolves Plog .

.;

Shows how observant I am I thought it was this http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...Furioso_20.jpg

I'm liking the dirt too. I'm thinking I need something to make the minis look as if they're all fighting for the same team for WFB, while still having them look like one-offs for the purposes of WFRP. They need to look shabby as they've been living in the woods/hiding in the sewers/lurking in cellars.

Rust, verdigris and dirt, lots and lots of dirt.....

There are some pretty cool (and rather disturbing) conversions in this log. Great painting too. Consider me subscribed.

Cheers,
    Monsterzonk :skull:

Cheers fella It wouldn't happen to be the "erupting" mutant on the previous page that disturbs by any chance? I actually made that (and all but two of the others) two years ago. A few months earlier I had had an emergency appendectomy. Maybe that was on my mind when I built the aforementioned nasty?

Was supposed to be walking up Scafell tomorrow but that's fallen through. On the plus side it means I now have more free time to continue with painting.

Hope to post some new pics soon.

Have a great weekend

Here is this weekend's effort:

Have a great week folks

I have allways wanted to try doing the same thing with a banner, i love it! Just plain brilliant.

Cheers-Kaos

Great little extra detail with the plaid scarf.
    Without judgement
    -Chuck

. Space Wolves Plog .

.;

you got some nice, natural painting there! looks like you are progressing. also the convertions are nice! the only things of advice i would give, that the beastmen should receive more blended highlights, so it will suite the well-painted banner de la mona lisa. also some of the mutated heads just dont fit the model, for example the guy with the bird head, it just doesnt fit. furtthermore ill be watching an eye on this log since its pretty awsome;-)

Well he doesn't have a daemon jumping out of his head but he's still pretty cool. Nice scarf, the banner is again amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by nagash66 View Post
    The Empire doesn't take you seriously unless you have sacked Nuln.

Kaos - Do it! I actually find it easier to do than painting the miniature (still a struggle but I live in hope). I was originally going to go with a detail from a Bosch painting but finding a decent image online was prooving difficult. I have a nice big book of Durer so did that instead (gives me an excuse to buy a book on Bosch later). If you like Durer I can also recommend Grunewald and Altdorfer. Brilliant stuff.

Mike D - cheers fella. I found an article on CMON http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/40 I just changed the colours slightly. I'm fortunate enough to belong to a family with our own tartan so I did that. I quite like the way the pattern came out but not too pleased with the scarf itself. It's a bit squashed at the back. Must do better

Joeli - thanks for the advice. Aye, the blending needs working on. I think I did ok on the horns on the banner though. As regards the heads, I've noticed that the proportions on the conversions can go awry once painted, the Octopus dude for instance. Before I painted it the arms seemed fine but as soon as they got wet with acrylic they seemed to double in size :confused: Still, I quite like it. I'm know what you mean with the Bird headed mutant, but I actually like it because of that. I have to make some Birdfolk at some point but for those I'll be sculpting beaks (rather than plonking a Spawn head on each one). Glad you like the blog and keep the advice coming - it helps get me thinking about how I can improve

ftayl5 - thank you fella. Glad you think so. You given up on your O&G? Not seen any updates recently.

After looking at the photos on this thing I think I should touch a few of the minis up a little - you can probably tell I got bored with the last one . I know they'll look finished when based but some mud on the trousers cant hurt.

It has occurred to me that I ought to post the list of mutants I want to make for this project. I can tick them off as I go. Also, if you nice people look at the list you might be able to suggest a possible counts-as-army. I'll make the list sometime this week.

Thanks for the feedback

This Log is pure Lovecraft !!

I love it

Steam_Giant, nice one. Lovecraft eh. As it happens I once read somewhere that the writers of The Enemy Within were told to make it "Cthulhu".

Here's the first part of my list. This covers the first two parts, "Mistaken Identity" and "Shadows over Bogenhafen". If you ever get chance to play these then I recommend you do so - brilliant stuff! However, seeing as I'm about to make a list of mutants you may encounter should you play, I probably ought to add a

+++++++++++SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!++++++++++

These lists only feature the mutants but I think I'll make conversions for other characters that appear like cultists and such. I'll update these lists as I go.

Anyway without further ado.....

++++++++++++SPOILER++++++++++++

MISTAKEN IDENTITY

1, "Rolf Hurtsis": rotting flesh armed with dagger. Done, page 1

2, Large body, incredibly small head with axe

3, Doglike head with sword Done, page 1

4, Pointed head with sword Done, page 1

5, Cloven feet, feasting on body of small child (eek) with spear

6, Scaly skin with crossbow and sword

++++++++++++SPOILER++++++++++++

SHADOWS OVER BOGENHAFEN

7, Goblin with three legs

8, Slime creature: phosphorescent, obscenely slimy tentacles. Huge, bloated amorphous body (Beast of Nurgle?)

I'll add the list for the third part, "Death on the Reik" later (it's a whopper).

I'm in the mood to paint something fresh so rather than finish off the mutants I made back in '08, I want to start making new ones. Pig headed mutant beastman next. Time to get the greenstuff out

Can't wait to see all of this ready to corrupt. The Enemy Within is the first big campaign which I have played and it still remains in my mind as an example of a great adventure. How about cameos? Are you going to include mutants from them?

doc_cthulhu: aye, it's a mighty campaign. I plan to make all the mutants that appear throughout and I'll add cultists and other characters too. If I can make a workable "counts as" Warhammer army out of that then all the better.

I've been thinking about making scenery for some of the encounters in The Enemy Within too, and after checking out your Scenery project I'm more inclined to do so. Again, that way I can kill two birds with one stone and will be left with scenery to use for games of Warhammer also.

Back to updating the plog: so much for Pig-headed mutant Beastman Too much on this weekend, what with hiking and fireworks. In the end I partially dismembered the Friar from the Mordheim Frenzied Mob and added a tentacle/club thing from the Spawn set. Pinned and glued. Hopefully I'll get it painted this week (I am V E R Y slow at painting).

ALSO, slightly off topic but, I was having a rummage and found an old gem of a model: Amazonia Gothique, based upon the John Blanche cover of White Dwarf 79 (the first copy I ever bought!). I painted it up again about 8 years ago. Might try again.

Have a great weeks folks

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Danglebreech View Post
    ftayl5 - thank you fella. Glad you think so. You given up on your O&G? Not seen any updates recently.
    People actually look at that? No I broke my arm and haven't been able to paint for a month, just got it off today though so there might be some updates soon, though I've almost run out of things to paint, until I buy new stuff, which won't be for a while since I'm getting IoB, maybe I'll make a plog of that.

Nice arm flailing priest guy by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by nagash66 View Post
    The Empire doesn't take you seriously unless you have sacked Nuln.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast