Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Infrequently Updated Mutant Beastmen Army Project

Littleborough, Lancashire. Hub of the Universe

Re: Infrequently updated Mutant army project

Brother Muninn - Thank you very much. I've grown quite fond of Octomutie myself. I had originally intended him to be a unit champion. We'll see.

spaint2k - cheers for that. My main reason for working from a white undercoat is because I really struggle being able to see what I'm painting from a black coat! Also, white works better for me because as I have gone on with this project I have turned to using really thin coats of paint and I suspect it maybe harder to do this with a black coat. Thanks for the info on the shapers

I've been having a think about where I'm going with this project. You can probably tell by the title that I knew I would be dipping in and out of it, but I feel I have run out of steam. It's not that I have lost interest, but more to do with the Orks I have been doing: I REALLY enjoy painting them, and because they are all of a kind and also because I'm quite happy with the paint scheme I can plod on with those without having to think too much about them.

In contrast, THIS log requires a conversion AND unique paint scheme for every single model.

Plus, I know I can get a game of 40k with my Orks, but the chances of me ever getting to play WFRP The Enemy Within Campaign are slight to say the least.

Sooooo, I've decided for now that I'm going to paint up all of my Orks (unlike most Ork players I don't intend on making any major conversions). I shall still be working on this log but concentrating on building the models rather than painting them and when I have a bunch made, and my Orks are about done, I'll paint them up.

I have also been thinking about what counts-as WFB army this project can turn into. I read a Forgeworld Newsletter a while back which stated that they are writing up rules enabling you to field the three Chaos armies together as one force, like you used to be able to. This is where I am headed. I shall continue with the original aim of building the mutants from The Enemy Within campaign, while also adding other models so as to create working regiments of WoC, DoC and Beastmen.

I can split up the mutants between the three chaos factions but for the most part I imagine they will be counts-as marauders. At least now I know which bases to use!

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had used Minotaur parts and Orc Boar parts to make the spear for the Big Pig Headed mutant. I bought those two sets to convert the Minotaurs into Pig Headed Minotaurs (Pigataurs? Swinegors?), and by sticking the minotaur heads onto the boar bodies I hope to make Tusk Gors.

Not much more to add for now. I have primed the Pig Headed Beastman (I reckon he could be a minotaur or unit filler). Not very exciting showing a primed model but I have stuck in the Flailing Friar and a Beastman with an old paint job so you can appreciate how big this fella is:

Hope to have some conversion pics soon.

Cheerio

Seeing Zsoulless mighty Minotaur conversion inspired me to have a crack at my own. This is the most green stuffing I have ever done and the clay shapers I bought recently really helped! (Once again excuse my dried up mitts)

This guy is going to be another pig head. Two more to go.

Not having played WFB I asked the nice people over at The Herdstone what the best weapon option was. I think I'm going to give him a hand weapon only, though might add a shield too.

More soon I hope.

Looking good, better than the original, but I think that shorter calves and longer "last bone before the hoof" could be even better. That's harder to do, though, requires more resculpting.

Cheers mrtn, and I think you may be right regarding the "last bone before the hoof" (kind of an ankle/heel). I have two more to do so I'll see what I can do with the next one

Worked some more on the Swine-o-gor this evening. Just needs some filling in but other than that he's pretty much done conversion-wise. I struggled with getting the fur to match up with the fur already on there. I tried to sculpt in the same style but thought "nah". On the next one I might give it another go or just cover up the existing fur by sculpting over with my own.

Anyway, here he is with blue-tacked shield:

I have two more of these to do (another 5 if I buy another box) so if you can see any room for improvement/ideas in general then let me know and perhaps I can try out your suggestions with the next one (mrtn's legs on number 2)

Maybe another update over the weekend

Brother Sergeant Kathie von Vhoorl's Avatar

Love the hooves. that is the way Minotaur/Pigotaurs shoud be, Very nice project so far.

Subbed.

great conversion mate, very nice smooth sculpting, should definitely do more of these, i think the boar head suits the model much more than gw's bull head, and creates a very original minotaur/boargor/swinegor.

Loving that Minotaur! The next one I'd like to see have a nice big/long pony tail!

Bifford

Cool, great looking minotaur, definitely one of the best minotaur-hoof conversions I've ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by nagash66 View Post
    The Empire doesn't take you seriously unless you have sacked Nuln.

I absolutely love this conversion. It's humorous, characterful, scary and unique. It really is one of the best conversations I have seen in quite sometime!
    My general fantasy project log - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274565

TOTS speed paints marines - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299997

High Elf chariot currently on eBay

Awesome stuff man. I see youve got Bebop done, how about Rocksteady?

mrtn: cheers

Kathie von Vhoorl: Glad you like. I think I'm going to settle with "Minoboar"

Kronos: Thank you very much! I think the hooves came out better than the neck did. I suppose the proof will be in the painting.

Bifford: Ta I'll see what I can do

ftayl5: Thanks

Tower_Of_The_Stars: Nice one! Only hope my paint job doesn't let it down

Pariah-Miniatures: Cheers! Totally had to Google that, but as it happens, you might be on to something. I'll post something later

Sorry it's taken so long to respond. Hope you don't think I'm rude for not thanking you all for your kind words sooner. I didn't want to post anything until I had an update to give and the reason why I haven't made an update for so long is I have been working on my Orks.

However, last weekend I finally finished my AoBR Death Skull Orks which you can see HERE

I had a nice surprise when I checked my Twitter feed last Monday, as the GW Voxcaster had tweeted a link to a pic of my Deffkoptas on Flickr, which is a pretty good way to start a Monday I reckon.

If you are going to play The Enemy Within Campaign for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay then don't read any further!

+++++++++++++++++SPOILERS+++++++++++++++++

A day off today and thought before I do the second Minoboar I'd have a crack at ticking off another Mutant from the list. Early days yet (as you can see)

This guy is going to be Fritz Carhingar (No.31 on the list, page 3). He is not actually a mutant, but a prisoner in the dungeon of castle Wittgenstein whose mind has snapped. His cage is not locked but Fritz will not leave willingly (hence the key in his hand). He is emaciated, his legs have wasted away through years of inactivity, and he has a long filthy white beard.

All I have done so far is trim off the unwanted details, fitted the key and pinned the torso the legs. I hope to get greenstuffing this weekend and If I have time I'll try and get another conversion done too.

Thanks for looking and have a great weekend folks!

Great looking boartaurs! I hate the new models for minotaurs and have been doing some werewolves to use instead of them.

Also - Fritz made me chuckle and anticipated for the other inhabitants of Castle Wittgenstein. Can't wait for the well of mutated flesh! ^_^

Cheers Doc, glad you like. Always good to get a visit from a fellow WFRPer.

Still no painting yet, but have managed to stick Fritz together (minus cage) and kitbashed two more:

Fritz

Wittgendorf Brat (random NPC mutant villager)

And, NOT from The Enemy Within (but from the introductory adventure at the back of WFRP 1st Edition "The Oldenhaller Contract), I present one "Jonas Whitespore"

And here's a group shot for scale

I may actually paint these up!

Thanks for looking

AD

I hope you do, they are looking great so far! I like the use of the necrarch vampire figure on Jonas.
    Breathe deep... and visit Scent of a Gamer.

I love seeing WFRP characters brought to life. Great stuff!

Cheers lorelorn. He was fun to bash together. I bought the Necrarch specifically for the job. Kind of an expensive purchase though as I now have a spare mounted version with no plans to use it. I'm sure something will present itself...

Thanks -fen-. Not seen any Quest updates lately. What's new?

Do you play WFRP? Do you like using dungeon tiles for your RPGs? (WARNING! tenuous link to some self promotion alert) Because myself and a buddy made some dungeon tiles a few years ago. They are available for free download at the bottom of the page here on the Windsof Chaos website. An example of how you can use them can be seen here They're not amazing or anything, but not bad for freebies I reckon.

While I'm in self promotion mode can I draw your attention to the new link in my sig? On 25th June my mate Andy and I will be doing a 50 mile hike in one go. It is a circular route over the Pennines in the North of England and we are raising money for a charity called Baby Lifeline. You can find out more about it (AND get to see a dodgy photo of myself with an even dodgier beard up Crib Goch, Snowdon,) here (Hope it is ok to have this link here?)

No more progress on the mutants. I have been getting the AoBR Marines ready for painting but hope to get some painting done for THIS project over the weekend.

Take care folks!

AD

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Danglebreech View Post
    Thanks -fen-. Not seen any Quest updates lately. What's new?
    WHQ is progressing forwards as I have time, I've painted the Warrior Ogre, a goblin shaman, goblin spearmen, Gunther (the necromancer), assembled Orc archers from bits, sourced decent looking zombies, base painted dozens of miniatures and so on.

But I'm stuck without a working PC or camera and with my better half only in part time work at the moment and my being stuck on a pay freeze while trying to move home means I can't afford to resolve the situation any time soon. It's actually costing me income because I can't sell miniatures online either. Oh well. What can one do?

I do indeed play WFRP, that's the secondary use for my WHQ miniatures. More maps are always welcome.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast