Welcome to the Tale of 40k Painters 2010-2011!

What is the Tale all about?
The aim of the Tale of Painters is to get an army fully painted within the next 12 months.

For most 40k armies the size will be somewhere between 1000 and 2000 points, but you can go higher if you want to (and you're crazy enough)! BFG and Epic armies will be slightly different, but as long as you choose an appropriate sized army for your game system then there's no problem.

Once you've chosen your army, your target is to paint roughly 10% of your army each month. For example, if you've chosen a 2000 point army then your monthly target would be 200 points. The Tale runs for one year (September 2010 to August 2011), so if you stick to your 10% monthly target then you'll only need to paint for 10 months of the year.

To cover the months when you can't/don't paint, you get 2 'Jokers'. You can play a 'Joker' at any time (provided you haven't used them both up!), which essentially means that you don't have to meet your target for that month. They can used for real life events (such as births, deaths, marriages, exams, holidays) or if you're just having a bad/slow month. If you use a 'Joker' then feel free to post a suitable image instead (a Joker or something funny).

What is this thread all about?
This thread is to be used as the completed work thread for September, up until the 7th. Please only post last month's completed work until the 8th.

On the 8th it will then become the work in progress (wip) thread for October. Feel free to post any wip pictures of what you're going to be painting this month, army lists, background stories, battle reports, questions, and comments on anyone else's posts. You can post as little or as much as you like in the wip thread, but please keep it wip. Do not post any completed work until the next thread opens at the start of November. The next thread will start out as to place the post your completed entries for this month, and after the deadline (initially set as the 7th of each month) will become the next wip thread.

If you have not posted by the 8th, then you will have to use one of your 'Jokers'. If you have failed to post by the 8th and have already used up both of your 'Jokers' (only applicable from December onwards), then unfortunately you will be out of the Tale.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q : Am I too Late? Can I still Join in?
A : No, you are not too late! Yes, you can still join in! Just post in this thread (after the 7th) stating which army and how many points you intend to paint. The first month's work (painted in September) was due to be posted at the start of October, but you could play one of your two 'Jokers' (see above) for September and start painting from October (to be posted at the start of November).

Q : Can I paint more than 10% of my army in a month?
A : Yes, you aren't bound by the rules of the Tale, and it's great to get ahead. BUT, we would like you only to post 10% (approx) each month and try to stay roughly on track with 10% per month. For example, if you're painting 2000 points that means 200 points in month 1, 400 points by month 2, 600 points by month 3, etc. This way you won't depress those of us who are struggling to keep up.

Q : Can I paint less than 10% of my army in a month?
A : Yes, you aren't bound by the rules of the Tale, but we would like you to try to stay on track by painting more points in the next month to 'catch up'. For example, if you're painting 2000 points and you only painted 100 points one month you could try and get 300 points painted the next month. Equally if you paint more one month you can take it easy and paint less the next month.

Q : What happens when I paint an expensive character/tank/unit?
A : This happens a lot. If your character/tank/unit is over 10% of your army you could simply paint him/it/them over two months (the sort of time your general/tank/expensive unit deserves!). For example, last year my monthly target was 200 points and I painted a Stompa (600 points). I split painting the model into (roughly) 3 months of 200 points, posting new WIP shots each month.

Q : Do I have to use my 2 'Jokers' during the Tale?
A : No, you don't have to use them at all. If you can manage to paint/post for the full 12 months then congratulations, you'll have exceeded your target and truly embodied the spirit of the Tale!

Q : What's with the D6 roll in your post?
A : The D6 roll was an idea introduced in the last Tale to help ensure that everyone gets some comments on their work. If everyone rolls a D6 when they post (I use the D&D dice roller if I don't have a D6 to hand), then we should have six roughly equal groups each month. Then, if you comment on those people who rolled the same as you everyone will receive some feedback. So, if you roll a 1, comment on all of the other 1's, if you rolled a 2, comment on all of the other 2's, and so on. Of course, if you have the time/want to, there's nothing stopping you from commenting on anyone's/everyone's work.

I'll start off by posting an entry for September. Feel free to copy my post to use as a template (edited to suit your army), but as long as you post your Monthly total, Total to date, Unit(s) painted and a picture then that's fine.

I'll only have very limited access to the internet for the next week, but if anyone has any other questions, please direct them to misterboff (me), GomezAddams or give_me_a_d.

misterboff