Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Eldar Craftworld Jetbikes

Eldar Craftworld Jetbikes

A little snippet from Monday's 'What's New Today' thread: "Painting High Elves, Golden Demon Winners, Dark Eldar Reavers"

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/co...?aId=13200008a

-----The Reavers are perhaps the best example of the similarities and differences between Craftworld and Dark Eldar design. The Craftworld jetbike design was looking dated and had been earmarked for a future remake, so it made sense to work on the designs simultaneously. Although the basic layout of the chassis, the carapace, the rider position, the fins and the weapon pod would stay constant, the styling had to reflect the divergence of the two factions from a common root. A common chassis with maquette rider was produced as the first stage.

Two prototypes were sculpted onto the basic chassis: one Craftworld and one Dark, shown here. Where the Craftworld bike would feature lots of aerodynamic cowling and a uniform look, the Dark Eldar version needed to look more stripped back and 'sharper'. Fins that were blades reflected the fact that the bike itself was the weapon; pierced carapaces used negative space to change the silhouette; concave rather than convex surfaces linked the bike design to the Raider hull. The small pop-up targeter on the top of the carapace was added at this stage, even though it started as a pencilled-on panel line.

Once the prototypes were finished, the Craftworld version was set aside. The Dark version was given to Tom Walton to render digitally. Tom had already rendered the guns for the warriors and had shown a facility with Eldar shapes, so he got to make sense of the wonky prototype. Tom took the same route as the prototype, developing a basic chassis that could be re-used in the future-----

I don't know if this was picked up somewhere else, but it does offer some insight into what the new Edlar Craftworld jetbike design will look like. Of course this offers no clue as to when it might be released... I'm sorry if this is threaded elsewhere, I just didn't see anything. :confused:
    <

Re: Eldar Craftworld Jetbikes

When I saw the new reavers it reminded me of the sculpt that Jes did in 2007(?). I bet that was taken and worked into a common chassis with then a spare sprue to split into the CE and DE boxes.

Seems like this is an indication that we will get decent looking jetbikes for Eldar. Woop!
    Warseer is dead. Long Live Warseer Reborn!
    <

Well just make a rough comparison.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86068853.jpg 
Views:	5401 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	98133  
    "As our bodies are armoured with adamantium, our souls are protected with loyalty. As our bolters are charged with death for the Emperors enemies, our thoughts are charged with wisdom. As our ranks advance, so does our devotion, for are we not space marines? Are we not the chosen of the Emperor, his loyal servants unto death?"
    <

Chapter Master

This is, exactly as the original rumour I delivered 3 years ago, about a couple of months before the prototype jetbike was shown at games day (Jes decided to show it as a result of the warseer rumours leading to a lot of misconceptions about it) - that the eldar/dark eldar bikes would share a chassis but have different parts to turn them into either the eldar or dark eldar versions.

It's nice to be proved right after so much time (even I started to doubt what I'd been told).

Anyway, massively looking forward to new jetbikes, I will probably buy about 30 of them as soon as they're released, no exaggeration - the Saim-Hann army I've always wanted was made viable with the the 4th edition codex moving jetbikes to troops, but the outdated models put me off of actually collecting it... I think the current plastic eldar jetbike is approaching it's 20th birthday? Something like that.

I hope they don't wait too long to release it. Hopefully 5th edition eldar dex at some point after they've given the necrons/ grey knights/ sisters the attention they need.
    Last edited by scarletsquig; 05-10-2010 at 18:15.
    <

Veteran Sergeant

Prince Sliscus posted the following just prior to GDUK over at 40konline:

..... And also one [source] told me that the new reavers if not with 1st wave (apparently they were still deciding at the time) will come out with the new eldar jetbikes and super heavy plastic kit around xmas/januarybefore the new kemri early next year. .....
    So there's a potential timeframe, plus something else to chew on.
    <

Have there been any rumors/confirmations of a Eldar wave release? I assuming it could be much like the Daemons/Imperial Guard releases. I am trying to think of what other models would even be involved in such a release
    <

Brother Sergeant

Seems strange why they would bother, the original speculation from years back was a shared box or that the common elements would be produced on their own sprue so it could be placed in both boxes. But since the common parts are spread across all the sprues with faction-specific parts, there is no added production efficiency.

Since the jetbike is already a common concept, one would think they'd make an effort to differentiate them aesthetically. The craftworld bike looks perfect, I was disappointed with the DE version, (And nothing else is the new DE collection, the raider in particular is one the best models GW has ever released) it doesn't mesh well with the common chassis; the angular hull doesn't match the shapely common elements and it feels tacked-on. I just don't understand why they did it. Would it have been too much work to make an entirely unique DE jetbike? They created a distinct design for the CSM bikes afterall.

Good to hear the CW bike is on the way, though.
    <

Librarian suprememidgetoverlord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackIce View Post
    since the common parts are spread across all the sprues with faction-specific parts, there is no added production efficiency.
    The fact that all these are made/scanned in computers means that it just needs to be copy/pasted and change the spikey bits for craftworld bits.

That saves designer time, wich is great, because Jes cant do everything on his own (even if we all want to)

I'm happy to see there seems to have been progress made on the jetbikes, but after 4 years, I've learned to live with the fact that it might still be years away.
    Quote Originally Posted by brimstone View Post
    Well my IQ has been lowered after reading this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Pretty sure its Rabbit this year.
    Warhammer Armies : Rabbits!
    <

Quote Originally Posted by suprememidgetoverlord View Post
    I'm happy to see there seems to have been progress made on the jetbikes, but after 4 years, I've learned to live with the fact that it might still be years away.
    I think all CE players feel the same way... I do.
    Warseer is dead. Long Live Warseer Reborn!
    <

Quote Originally Posted by GreySeerZ View Post
    Have there been any rumors/confirmations of a Eldar wave release? I assuming it could be much like the Daemons/Imperial Guard releases. I am trying to think of what other models would even be involved in such a release
    There is this over on 40K online

http://www.40konline.com/community/i...277#msg2512277

The only thing that is abit sketchy here is that 2 told me talos is metal, one told me plastic but that was probably a simple mistake. And also one told me that the new reavers if not with 1st wave (apparently they were still deciding at the time) will come out with the new eldar jetbikes and super heavy plastic kit around xmas/january before the new kemri early next year. Scourges and warp beasts etc... are 2nd wave and i think the current heamy models are staying the same for a time.
    <

Chapter Master

Seems strange why they would bother, the original speculation from years back was a shared box or that the common elements would be produced on their own sprue so it could be placed in both boxes.
    That's one part I did get wrong, I think it might have been a logical assumption at the time to that "sprue 1" would get all the common bits, and "sprue 2" would get the dark or craftworld bits, for economical reasons. However since then, GW has moved to a "1 sprue per box" method of manufacturing, even if that sprue is broken up into 3 sections so I guess that's why it's not seperate... new moulding tech.
    <

Brother Sergeant

Well until these craftworld bikes show up... maybe ill just have to buy some of those beautiful DE ones... just a few... just for a little while...
    <

Brother Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by scarletsquig View Post
    That's one part I did get wrong, I think it might have been a logical assumption at the time to that "sprue 1" would get all the common bits, and "sprue 2" would get the dark or craftworld bits, for economical reasons. However since then, GW has moved to a "1 sprue per box" method of manufacturing, even if that sprue is broken up into 3 sections so I guess that's why it's not seperate... new moulding tech.
    Interesting, I'd forgotten the 'one large sprue snapped in two' way things are done now. Still a shame, one of the best things about the old reavers was the fact that they were a unique interpretation of a DE jetbike.
    <

Chapter Master

Good to hear the CW bike is on the way, though.
    I don't think anyone has said this.

Jes just said that they worked out a prototype CE bike, which is something we already knew. I'm pretty sure there was no indication that it was planned for release anytime in the foreseeable future (except the rumor on 40K online apparently.)
    Once upon a midnight dreary...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanska of Kompletely Kroot, May 12 2009, 12:42 PM
    May your enemies taste as sweet as your victories...
    <

The Untainted Warp, watching over The Rock

Quote Originally Posted by GreySeerZ View Post
    Welcome to Warseer!

To speculate, I think it will be the new jetbikes alongside redone Warp Spiders and Swooping Hawks, with an Eldar "Fast Attack" article in White Dwarf, or something along these lines. This may or may not coincide with a new Codex.

Judging from Jes' comments at UK Games Day 2010, we are still a long way off from seeing anything new for Craftworld Eldar.

:skull: "Repent today, for tomorrow you die." :chrome:
    Dark Angels Project Log
    <

Chapter Master

Although the 40KOnline link above mentioned a rumored Eldar release around Christmas this year, and over in one of the Tau threads it was said that there was a reason why some people might think Tau were being redone but that it was something else.

These two bits together suggest that maybe... MAYBE... there is a general special event release of some stuff coming up.

Personally, I think the current Craftworld bikes look great (if expensive) and that the new DE Reavers will look great as Craftworld designs with just a bit of conversion to remove blades and stuff. So if a new CE bike is released, that would be 3 different models of bike I can use. I'm good with that.
    Once upon a midnight dreary...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanska of Kompletely Kroot, May 12 2009, 12:42 PM
    May your enemies taste as sweet as your victories...
    <

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Judging from Jes' comments at UK Games Day 2010, we are still a long way off from seeing anything new for Craftworld Eldar.
    Yeah, considering this year's release of fire prism, nightspinner and support weapons I'm not expecting anything for a couple of years. The bone has been thrown.

A "fast attack" wave does sound like it could make sense though, the last eldar release was definitely a "heavy support" one, in that it made that entire section of the codex (except dark reapers) into plastic.
    <

The new Dark Eldar models are just fantastic. Maybe the best looking models from GW ever.

However, transporting them to game venues is going to be a pain, especially the Raider and Ravager skimmers. I'm not sure those things will fit in a 4 inch Sabol tray at all. Nids are hard enough to transport, these things may be worse.
    "Specialization is for Insects"
    "An Armed Society is a Polite Society"
    Both attributed to Robert Heinlein
    Murphy's Rules of Combat:
    1: Friendly Fire Isn't.
    2: If the Enemy is in Range, so are you.
    3: Incoming Fire Always has the Right of Way
    <

South of Insanity, but a little North of Reason.

Urien Rakarth looks much more a 'flesh sculptor' than previously...

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/co...?aId=13200009a
    <

Quote Originally Posted by ForgottenLore View Post
    I don't think anyone has said this.

Jes just said that they worked out a prototype CE bike, which is something we already knew. I'm pretty sure there was no indication that it was planned for release anytime in the foreseeable future (except the rumor on 40K online apparently.)
    As quoted in the original post ("The Craftworld jetbike design was looking dated and had been earmarked for a future remake"), it definitely sounds like it'll be sooner rather than later. (With later being Dark Eldar versions of later.)

Quote Originally Posted by MvS View Post
    Urien Rakarth looks much more a 'flesh sculptor' than previously...

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/co...?aId=13200009a
    Tzimisce?
    WHEN captaines couragious, whom death cold not daunt;
    Did march to the siege of the citty of Gaunt,
    They mustred their souldiers by two and by three,
    And the formost in battle was Mary Ambree.
    <

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast