Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Dipping figures: The ultimate guide

Dipping figures: The ultimate guide

Pertís guide to dipping.

Dipping. What is this enigmatic way of painting figures? How does it work? Well, thatís what Iím going to try to explain for you.

Basically, dipping involves the painting of a figure in its base colours, and its immersion into a type of stain to add depth and definition to the figure. Actually, itís a lot more complex than that, but thatís the essence of it.

So how do I get ready to dip? Well, the first thing you have to be aware of when you are going to dip figures, is to make sure that the figure is completely free of all flash. Any flash left on the figure will become very visible. This is important, since when the figure is dipped, there is little you can do with touching up the colours with paints. So it is best to get it right before you start.

Iíll run you though my Kroot warriors, and show you the various steps that I have taken in order to get an army done.

First off, the figures were built, and cleaned for flash. I mounted them all on inverted flying bases, with the pole pointing downwards. This is just a painting quirk that I had, but it proved to be quite useful. Iíll show you later what I mean. Irrespective, it allows me to put a unit of figures onto a 2x4 with holes drilled into it whilst painting/drying. It also keeps the figures upright, and allows you to move them into a dry/warm/dust free place in one go without them falling over.

Once they were built and mounted, I sprayed them white. I made sure I got the undercoat as smooth as possible. Once that was done, I painted the figure in flat colours. There were no highlights, there were no shades. It was raw paint that was out of the pot.

At this point, it is worth mentioning the whole thing about choice of colour. Before you dip, there is a visible difference between colours that have a similar tone, such as Bleached Bone and White. As such, in a pre-dipped state, the two areas can be seen easily. After they have been dipped, they tend to become very similar. Of course, this is dependent upon the colour of the dip, and the viscosity of it, but as a rule of thumb, similar colours will come out even more similar after they have been dipped. So in order to make sure that you get enough contrast on the dipped figure, it is worth using colours that have a stronger contrast next to each other on the figure.

This might sound rambling, but it is worth remembering. The first kroot I did had desert yellow bodies, bleached bone bellies, and white claws. They all come out a very similar tone of light brown, and really didnít look too convincing.

So once I had done the basic colours, I had to let the figure stand and dry totally. I let them stand for at least several hours, if not over night. It is worth mentioning that at this point, I had painted everything on the figure. Not only the ďbiologicalĒ parts, but also the metal parts had been painted.

Now comes the interesting part. The part you have all been waiting for. The dipping!

This stage requires a few things in preparation. Firstly, you have to be ready to catch spills and splashes of dip. Secondly, you have to be prepared for dropping figures, or figures breaking. Thirdly, you have to have everything you need to be within armís reach of where you intend dip. Lastly, you must have a cloth near by, and make sure you do not wear clothes that you are too fond of.

After opening the can of dip, I took each kroot and submerged it into the dip until only the base was above the dip surface. I held onto the flying base pole (hence it was a good idea to mount them up like that in the first place). Once the figure was dipped, I lifted the figure out of the dip, and let it drain back into the can, kroot down.

Once the figure was not running dip any more, I lifted it quickly over into my spinning area. This spinning area is a cardboard box that I have cut the top flaps off. Holding the figure kroot down still, I revolved the figure by spinning it between my thumb and finger. This spun off much of the excess dip. I did this until there was no marked splash that was coming off the kroot. Then, the kroot was turned the correct way around, and the flying pole was then inserted back into the 2x4 mount (good eh?). The rest of the kroot unit was done in the same way.

Now, there are several ways of shaking off the excess dip. I opt for a manual spinning process. Others try swinging the figure at an armís length. Iíve found that this puts more strain on the figure, and may cause it to either break, or fly off the base. It also can give you some serious elbow problems (I had a tennis elbow for weeks after my first attemptsÖ). Meanwhile, others use electric drills to spin their figures. Iíve also tried this, but in my opinion and experience, it removes too much of the dip form the figure, thus lessening the effect of the dip. In addition, unless the figure is balance almost completely centrally, and the drill rpm is too fast, it will fly off a flying base. You have to attach it some other way.

Iíve refined the flying base system a bit now, and have resorted to a spinning stick. I have mounted the flying base pole into a garden cane, with the narrow end. The wide end is sticking out of the stick. Then, I drill a hole through the base of the figure, as close to the center as possible, that fits the wide end peg snugly.I then insert the peg into the base, dip the figure, let it drip off, and spin the figure by turning the cane between my hands (like a boy scout lighting a fire). Then the figure can be popped off the peg, and the next one mounted. Actually, I have several canes and pegs, so I can make a production line out of itÖ

Anyway, it is worth remembering that at this point, that if you wait too long for the dip to drip off the figure, before you shake/spin it, the dip will start to air dry, and you will get less dip off the figure. Wait too long, and the figure is likely to end up wasted.

The drying time of the figure depends on the type of dip. But in general, I leave them to dry for about 24 hours. You must leave them in a warmish place, and dust free. Also, be warned that the dip might smell, and might be toxic, so you have to leave them well ventilated.

Once the dip was dry, all that remained was to do the bases.

Presto! Here is the final result.

I used the following dip. ďLiberon Bistrol LakkĒ in a light walnut colour. It is a polyurethane based wood stain. I have yet to find a water based stain that works, since the polyurethane base has a higher viscosity (itís like syrup), and is much more sticky!

Iíve tried to dip many types of figures. Iíve had most luck with ďorganicĒ figures, such as Kroot, Tyranids and Lizardmen, and clothes (such as Empire clothes, orc rags etcÖ). Iíve also done all metallic figures, such as Necrons, and Iíve done Space Marines with large surfaces.

Plastic figures are easiest, since they are lighter and simpler to mount. Metal figures are trickier, but still simple. Make sure that if you are doing a multi part metal figure, that you try to pin as much of it as possible. This is to make sure that the chance of breakage during spinning/shaking is as low as possible. Resin presents different problems. It is brittle, and can break unexpectedly. Larger things are really hard. Some large models can be dipped in stages. I dipped a carnifex in parts, and then assembled the figure.

The rule of thumb is really that it is worth trying. Although the larger the surfaces that will be dipped, the more difficult it will be to get a smooth finish. Sometimes, that is what you want, other times it isnít. So I would recommend trying it out first, before committing an army to it.

Pros of dipping.

It can produce lots of figures quickly to an apparently high standard.
    It is a simple technique that anybody can try.
    It can produce stunning horde armies!

Cons of dipping.
    Itís messy.
    It can smell.
    The dip can be costly.
    Dipped things look, well, dipped.
    It can break your figures.
    Gold LOTR poster/nut '06 and '07
    Most Northerly Wastoid '07
    ...plus a few other things...

So there!

The Bergen Boltgun Association

Re: Dipping figures: The ultimate guide

Here are some examples of some other dipped things that I have done:
    Lizardmen!

The throne of the Slann is painted normally. It shows quite nicely the contrast between styles.

So there!

Necrons!

The smoked green rods are done after dipping.

So there!

Tyranids!

So there!

Other bits and bobs...
    The Space Marine was just painted with white. It was an experiment to see where the dip sat on the figure.

Chaos Space Marine

Karloc! This one was a monster to dip. It shattered and broke during the shaking, and was really tricky to mend again afterwards. but I'm happy with it.

So there!

Great guide, Pert. One thing I've been thinking about lately is making a dipping solution. You see, I'd rather not work with polyurethane stuff as my space is limited, so I was thinking about Future Floorwax mixed with a generous amount of paint and/or inks. I'm thinking of giving it a test run, but wanted to see if anyone else has tried that method yet. Any clues?

Thanks!
    Loaf

<edited to rid post of comma infestation>

Commander

Awesome guide. Great work.

-Wez

So how would you go about making a lighter dip?

Someting like; take the woodstain, pour some of it into another can, add methylated spirits to the original can (some was removed to make room for this) shake, and dip away?

Or would that do something unexpected?

Could I then put the lid back on the tin with the methylated spirits and come back to it alter?

I'm aiming for a reasonably light dip colour for my up-and-coming IG army, and dipping seems like a good idea.

BozzyB

Veteran Sergeant

Well, after dipping looks so good on Kroot and you used them in your example: Would you allow me to post your article on KompleteyKroot's Hobby Corner? Of course you will get there the full credits and a link to this place...

Quote Originally Posted by BozzyB
    So how would you go about making a lighter dip?

Someting like; take the woodstain, pour some of it into another can, add methylated spirits to the original can (some was removed to make room for this) shake, and dip away?
    From what I've read in the past (and it might even have been Pert that said it), adding spirits to the dip should do the job. I'm not sure where the line is on the dilution, though, as I'd imagine too much would eat away at plastics.

-Loaf

Glad to see this back up.

Will you be adding it to your "list of useful threads?"

TG

EDIT: I see you already have .

Feel free to add this link to the forum of your choice!

How to make dip thinner? What I use to dip with can be thinned out with White Spirits.

So there!

if you were to dip say purple and blue tyranids, would you use a differnt kind of stain? darker lighter?

and since blue and purple are so close in colour, would it be hard to see the difference after the dip?

nice nids btw
    Last edited by The Dragon Reborn; 10-03-2006 at 07:06.

I have yet to find a water based stain that works...
    Try taking a look at this article, he uses a water based stain, and the minis come out pretty good.

And here's an example of how dipping works on Cadians.

http://photobucket.com/albums/a353/t...t=CIMG0335.jpg

I dipped him and when he dried I hit him with a clear matte sealer.

Quote Originally Posted by tuebor
    I tried dipping Canadians, but it didn't work nearly as well.
    Damn Canadians.

Anyway.. I recently acquired a Necron and have bene thinking about dipping them after painting. It's nice to see what the effect is going to look like.
    THE BLACKER TEMPLAR
    Bigger, Blacker, and Uncut

im wondering would dipped models look good with non dipped ones...

eg

all normal sized tau models dipped (fire warriors kroot warriors ....) with normal painted bigger models (tanks and crisis suits) :confused:
    Go on, prove me wrong. Destroy the fabric of the universe. See if I care.

My Eldar Project Log

The Warseer Discworld Society

I've had a none too pleasant experience with dipping. My tomb kings spearmen and cavalry I dipped in a really dark stain (I dont think it was a polyeurethane stain cause its really watery) and it came out really blotchy. I may have just shaken it too muchh though.
    Knowledge is Power
    Power Corrupts
    Study Hard
    Be Evil

Splinter Fleet Azathoth W/L/D 1/ /

Blotchyness is probably a result of thin stain.

When I've conbined dipped/non dipped, I've used the dipped part on organics, and the non dipped on non organics, such as the Slann on page 1. I've got no cases of mixed technique armies, less so with tau.

So there!

ok I have a few questions! I want to buy some assault terminators for my deathwing and dip them, because I am sick and tired of painting terminators!

now my force is bone, but i really want these guys to be white, would it look odd to have a white squad in am bone army? what would look better dipped bone, or white?

how fast to you spin them? do you alternate directions?

and I think i might have convinced my friend to finally paint his nids with the dipping tech. he has had his nids for 6ish years not one painted model! so one more question if he were to spray paint them all blue, then add purple and red, would the spray paint effect the dip?
    cause we want to do his whole 3000+ point army in like a few days so spray paint would help.

thanks

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast