Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The brand new sculpt log

*waves hand towards the horizon* over there

Re: The brand new sculpt log

I know, I've been doing it again, sorry about the delays in photos, had a few exams and my free time keeps vanishing somewhere(working on the weapon).

I will post photos when the weapon is finished so I can make any needed changes and then will place it in his hands.

From there I can "fill any gaps" so to speak, so if an area is looking a little bare I can add something in to fill the space. I've tried to add some feathers here and there as well as bulking out and then replacing the arm guard on the raised arm.

No photos though to show just yet, best I could do is show an armature for a Temple guard sculpt, but that's way off yet before I can start it.

Chaplain

Hey
    Super cool stuff you got going here! Keep up the god work and keep feeding us eyecandy!
    /BoBo
    My slow log of Terrain ,My slow log of Blood Bowl ,My tyranid swarm , My Khorne Demon army log, My Necron Army, Follower of Chaos, My Blood Angels
    I do commision work, if you are interested drop me a PM!

No problem for photo delays, I'm sure they will be worth it.

HN
    My Pulp Sci-Fi Plog: War Rocket & Retro Raygun

My Game Board & Terrain Plog: 3 Feet of Gaming

My Rogue Trader Inspired Space Wolves: The Wolftime

Small update,

Work is going steadily but I've done the basic shape and design of the weapon.

I'm unsure of the bottom parts though, I think they need removing and replacing with something else.

As for the haft of the weapon I thought of making some sort of snake skin/scale covering, I can then add decorations and additional parts of the top.

I'll also add some designs to the weapon blade.

I've also given him a turtle shield arm guard, will work on getting some photos up for that too.

I've also tried to add some feathers to the braclet, I hope it helps.

Let me know what you all think.

As for on coming projects, I'm going to be working on a saurus after this one (private piece) and then another (yes another) howling banshee, though this one different, think of a wych crossed with a banshee and you have it.
    Last edited by rikard; 28-04-2012 at 14:11.

I think the counterweight is a bit too long, it could do without the last bit. It would need to balance the top blade and the mass should be about the same.

I think this one will be a true challenge to paint, in a good way. It gives the painter many surfaces and has a nice interspacing of detail, a very nice model.

Will the counterweight be done like an obsidian weapon with many inlaid blades?
    my general project thread

[2014] painted: 21, added to my collection: 84

Looks good mate. I think the base of the weapon does look big but this will be better once the hand is sculpted on. Not sure about the nodules on the end.

The scaling idea for the haft sounds interesting.

I am impressed with how precious you have managed to get the weapon. Is it milliput that's been carved and filed?

HN

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    I think the counterweight is a bit too long, it could do without the last bit. It would need to balance the top blade and the mass should be about the same.

I think this one will be a true challenge to paint, in a good way. It gives the painter many surfaces and has a nice interspacing of detail, a very nice model.

Will the counterweight be done like an obsidian weapon with many inlaid blades?
    Great stuff, thanks for the feed back and links, I'll make sure I stick in some appropriate changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairy Norseman View Post
    Looks good mate. I think the base of the weapon does look big but this will be better once the hand is sculpted on. Not sure about the nodules on the end.

The scaling idea for the haft sounds interesting.

I am impressed with how precious you have managed to get the weapon. Is it milliput that's been carved and filed?

HN
    Thanks mate, was having doubt about those nodules too, not quite what I had hoped they would turn out, so I'll work on something else.

I'll have a small experiment with the scales, I think it could be tricky, don't want to make them too lumpy and certainly don't want to end up sculpting copies of the scales that already exist on the mini. Again, I'll have a play and see what happens.

As for the material I use Aves Apoxy sculpt, can be filed quite easily though it takes a long time but gives a nice finish, especially if you have different grades of sand paper you can use.

Thanks again for all the help, I'm currently getting loads of ideas from a couple of good websites (links below).

I've also been working more on the Oxayotl GD piece and have some photos which I hope people like.

some here are the links, I think I'm going to follow the path I did with the last AOW sculpt and stick with inspiration, designs and ideas from pre- Colombian civilizations. I'll do my best to apply these styles to the weapon and replace the end parts on it.

If however you have something else in mind then please let me know.

http://www.precolumbianmonoliths.com/
    http://www.precolumbiangold.com/collection.htm

Oh, how I envy your ability to sculpt clean, defined musculature.

Nice work so far rikard. The finished piece will be quite a doozy.

Thanks for giving an insight into your sculpting on deviantART

I almost got blinded by the second link

He's really coming along mate.

HN

This is awesome!

You've got some phenomenal sculpting skills. I can't wait to see how he looks at the end. Absolutely ace.

~Muninn
    My Painting Blog
    My Daemon & D&D Project
    My Space Marine project: the Fire Angels

"Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear, and ask it for a ride home, for I have clearly had too much to drink."

Quote Originally Posted by Hairy Norseman View Post
    Thanks for giving an insight into your sculpting on deviantART

I almost got blinded by the second link

He's really coming along mate.

HN
    I hoped it helped a lot, wasn't all that sure where things were going or how helpful they were.

@Catferret
    I've found that if you use freshly mixed green stuff, then the whole process becomes much easier, you can (if it's really fresh) just rub two joins of green stuff with a bullet tipped clay shaper and the joins vanish almost immediately.

If not then I find a metal tool tends to work more effectively, even if it's quite hard. I've been finding both methods very useful for doing muscle work.

@Jormi_Boced and Brother Muninn

Many thanks to both of you, I really appreciate it.

So I'm almost finished on Oxayotl now, been working hard finishing hands, poison bottles and attaching the blow pipe. I'll post photos tomorrow when I've got a decent day light source.

I'll then make a strong effort to finish the AOW krox too.

After that well I've got a number of different sculpt choices.
    I've got two more lizardman pieces to do (one is going to be a temple guard old blood variant) and the second will be my take on a salamander (which will go to troll forged miniatures).

One sculpt I have to do soon though is this one below:

Here's the current model:

And here is the artwork:

This is for Reaper miniatures, it's not going to be cast, but they've been very helpful recently, offering solid advice and crits and so I offered to sculpt this piece for them to see and stay as close to the artwork as possible.
    Last edited by rikard; 07-05-2012 at 22:02.

Small update but as promised I've completed Oxayotl.

I've combined photos here in this thumbnail to see if it can help give an understanding of how I go about building up a piece.

I've also stuck a large description together on Deviantart for anyone who wants more info.

Hope this helps.

Ok so it's showing up far smaller than I'd like even when clicked on, if anyone wants to see a larger version there is one on my DA account, or I can upload the last four photos individually and post them here for you.
    Last edited by rikard; 08-05-2012 at 15:17.

I don't even know what I could say to this... I think I feel so... so weak and powerless staring into these sculpts.

I checked the larger pics and it looks amazing, I am sure it will look even better painted, but the sculpt is the basics and it already looks that good.
    my general project thread

[2014] painted: 21, added to my collection: 84

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    I checked the larger pics and it looks amazing, I am sure it will look even better painted, but the sculpt is the basics and it already looks that good.
    Cheers Joe, I'm glad you like it, it was a fun sculpt to do and didn't take as long as I thought it would.

Anyways, once I've tidied up the last odds and ends on the Kroxigor I've been asked to sculpt a third lizardman piece, but I'm a little stuck on what to go for, so far I've had the following ideas/options come to mind, but if anyone has anything that is completely different (even ideas for creatures and characters that don't exist) just let me know.

Salamander equivalent.
    Slann equivalent.
    Coatl.

Anyone have anything they would prefer?

I'm limited with large models though, so I can't sculpt anything bigger than a kroxigor (which I've virtually finished now.)

Photos for the weapon up soon, still a little stuck with a few areas so hopefully not much longer left now.

Also, the reaper sculpt is not on hold, I'm going to attempt to juggle the two at the same time.

Personaly I'd be happy with any of them.

Thought I think your take on a Salamander would be prety awesome.

Ps. whitch ones is Reaper publishing?

Any of those sound good.

If you are looking for something a little different how about an old-school Slann type? I suppose they could be used as sarus warriors.

HN

Quote Originally Posted by N810 View Post
    Personaly I'd be happy with any of them.

Thought I think your take on a Salamander would be prety awesome.

Ps. whitch ones is Reaper publishing?
    None, I'm only doing the Sophie sculpt as thanks for the artwork (I got sent a large print size of it).

@HN, I had been thinking about a slann type but more looking at the giant frog style.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast