Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A tale of three occasional painters

A tale of three occasional painters

Recently I have been struggling to find the tim to paint things or, indeed, play many games of 40k. which is a shame. Two friends of mine are in a similar position.

I thought it'd be fun to track our varying progress in one place as a form of motivation and to show warseer in general how my 'gaming' group works!

Those of you familiar with my work will know I'm a long time Dark Eldar and Deathwing player and have recently started a traitor guard army. I have also painted a full vampire counts army on here, which is the only full army I've painted in 14 years in the hobby...

I'm not sure what I'm going to turn my attention to but my mate Martin (Halaker) is currently doing his Space wolves, second ever army after Tyranids. I think they're looking great. My friend George (Salarath) has various projects on most of the time. I think he's focussing on Orks at the moment...

UPDATE// 17/08/2011 Kap'n Krump (James) has joined our ranks, hooray!

So here's the team:

Me

Salarath

Halaker

Kap'n Krump

anyway I'll buzz off until I have something painted and relevant and will leave you in Martin's tender care...

cheers

Adam

Re: A tale of three occasional painters

I want to see how this ends! Sub'd and that Rhino is Ace!

Cheers
    /From my blue blue chair
    Dreffbuilder

(Been inactive, although I'm making a gift to a special friend all the way in Down Under!)

Thanks Dreff, I enjoyed modelling the tank. Martin is great to paint with. He's new to it so asks for advice but he's incredibly patient. All the tanks I've ever painted have been thick and streaky as I can't afford spray and am impatient. I told Martin to do thin layers on the main colour and he persevered for aaages. I think it looks brilliant.

I've been building Hellions today, no paint yet as I need to get a better light set up in my new painting area...

check out my photobucket or dark eldar plog (sig) to see the complete assembled squad and my lovely old DE

I got very excited about the Space Wolves whilst not wanting to do an army so I made Martin a wolf guard to get him started:

Rhino (GS work by me, painting by Martin)

Blood Claws

George said he was doing some painting this afternoon... but I saw him in town clutching new DVDs and a PS3 game so maybe not :P

cheers

Adam

Looking lovely so far, and I just have a few comments on Martin's painting. First off, do you have a fine detail brush? If not get one RIGHT NOW. Also, the advice that was given for the rhino still holds true. If you want your guys to look realistic then you need to put less paint on the brush. Either that or water down your paints just a bit. Also, make sure your paints are new. For the faces, I know that the citadel guide to painting has a good tutorial. you don't need to buy the book, just read that page. Other than those two things, your painting can only get better, so keep it up!

Thanks Radical, Martin just had a read of your post before going to work again (he works nights ) Think I've got the citadel painting guide somewhere actually... will try to dig it out.

Here's a couple of pieces from Martin's first army.

Broodlord (painted by me)

Zoanthrope (painted by George)

Mawloc/ Trygon (also painted by George, apologies for crap pick think its off my mobile)
    needless to say the sybarite didn't survive that particular encounter

I couldn't resist putting my Archon from the old book up before he retires:

I'm really looking forward to painting the Hellions now. might use this guy as Baron what-ever-his-face-is (with a bit of a touch up and some extras from the new sprues)

cheers

Adam

Brother Sergeant

Cheers Dreff

Thanks for the advice Radical, am still pretty new to the ol painting lark so have many things to learn/ work out methods for yet! Still, I've seen a great improvment on the ol wolves over my 'nids so am pretty pleased!

Would post some pics of the rune priest I've painted since the Blood Claws but the pictures are on Hadriel's computer so that may have to wait a couple of days!

Have fun all

Veteran Sergeant

Gotta say, I'm loving the Space Wolves mate, its great to see you getting better as a painter (although I'd never actually say something nice like that your your face). Today, I've been busy writing my army list, WAAAAGH Poshgit is coming....

Quote Originally Posted by salarath View Post
    WAAAAGH Poshgit is coming....
    Spilt my orange juice. great name mate! nice to have you aboard (so to speak). Just sitting down to base coat my reaver and a hellion

exciting stuff!

Adam

Veteran Sergeant

Anyway, here's a few of the lads-two ork nobz in fact! Both are WIP, but I love these models and think they'll be a great start to the army as a troop choice

thoughts?

looking nice mate. Gritty and angry looking. we really struggle to keep up with Martin these days... painting-wise, man's a machine.

Jetbike (more pics over at my plog as per)

I've got some Dark Angels to get painted too which might tickle my fancy after a couple more jetbikes/ hellions.

cheers

Adam

Brother Sergeant

Will have to pop over and have a proper gander but tis looking good!

And Adam, painting more Dark Angels having sold nearly your entire army... 'shakes head in dispear'... I do worry sumtimes!

Speaking of the painting guides they released some in white dwarf personally better than the ones in the book if you would like photocopies of the pages PM me
    Will gladly paint/build miniatures for cash
    Website currently underway but accepting commissions

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...58572797525792

My Journey into Warmachine blog:
    http://r3dmoh4wk.blogspot.com/

Be good to see you Halaker! your working nights and my all day rehearsals are a bit counter productive. Just painting the DA I have and maybe doing a display unit of termies... definitely won't turn into a Deathwing army based on the Logan Grimnar wolf guard list from SW... no sir...

@ tentonhammer- sounds good to me, will wait til Halaker says something though.

I managed to get some more painting done last night between line learning and watching Serenity

Hellion 1:

couldn't stop myself after undercoating. the models are just so nice. did this real quick too, about 1 hr from black to tabletop readiness.

Brother Sergeant

So finally managed to get round to Hadriel's and thieve his computer long enough to post a pic of my rune priest

Still a few details left to do but am very happy with how he's gone probably the longest I've spent painting a single minature!

C&C welcome!

Have fun all

nice one mate. the hard work has paid off in my opinion.

EDIT// I managed to break the image code, Martin is using my photobucket and I renamed his album. Here is the aforementioned Runepriest:

The runepriest looks great, good work! Is it a conversion btw? It looks like Njal but I didn't think he had a wolf pelt on his back...I could be wrong, it looks ace anyway lol.

The Dark Eldar are also coming along really well. I think purple is the best colour for them and you have pulled it off well. Can't wait to see your Archon

PS - I love the genestealer

The orks are looking mean too. I think the skin is looking nice and I like your checked pattern on the weapons.

I'll be back to see how you're all getting on

IIRC the runepriest is just Njal without the raven on his shoulder. I resculpted the fur a bit but its not a new cloak per se

I love my DE, favourite army still

this is my Dracon (probably now an Archon since I can't use my jetbike guy) for WIP shots look in my DE thread (see sig)

and just because I can here's on of my truescaled sybarites:

I also like the checked patterns on George's orks. really takes me back to the good ol' Gorkamorka days.

keep checking back!

Ach! I Hate rune priest's!!!!!! Kill them! Kill them all!!! thou Good looking mate!

Ah, And something I've seen before... Good looking Hadriel!

Cool Nobs as well too...

Cheers
    Dreff
    Dreffbuilder

(Been inactive, although I'm making a gift to a special friend all the way in Down Under!)

yeah Fle wanted to know what my archon would look like... so I showed him the one i have :P

Update dudes! Moar! Moar! Moar!

Cheers
    Dreff
    Dreffbuilder

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast