Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Skulls

Littleborough, Lancashire. Hub of the Universe

Death Skulls

Hello,

I'm a newcomer to this forum and I only really started posting on Warseer a couple of months ago after starting my Mutant Empire log.

I've never played 40k. That's not to say I'm completely new to the hobby: I have bought three versions of the rules over the years, Rogue Trader being my first, but I just never got around to giving it a go.

Anyway, I bought AoBR last year and finally got around to assembling the Orks (A friend of mine assures me he's going to build the Marines but I suspect I may be doing those too).

I do not yet possess the Ork codex but I've done a bit of research here and there and the clan that most appeals is the Deff Skulls (or Death Skulls?).

Here is my test mini. I did it today. Not enough blue but you get the general idea: rust, verdigris and dirt - usual stuff.

The axe handle was meant to look like this but I don't think it's very successful:

I think I need to incorporate more blue but other than that I'm quite pleased as this is the first Ork I've done.

More to follow when I get the time
    Last edited by Abraham Danglebreech; 08-05-2015 at 23:19. Reason: Changed title for something with more zap, in an attempt to get more hits and also making me come across as being dynamic.

Brother Sergeant

Re: My Orks

looks great! I'll be sure to follow this blog,

Rust looks especially well on orks and I think it was a very smart choice!

Cheers!

Brother Sergeant checkerthinker's Avatar

interesting rust scheme....i can honestly say i never seen anything like that before. now I'm curious how your vehicles will turn out! (especially if you paint some ork bikers)

That's one dirty ork, looks great especially like the axe and handle

Librarian

What paints did you use to achieve the rust? I really like it.

Furbs: thanks! I'll try and keep it up to date. My other blog is all conversions and I wanted to do something where I could just concentrate on painting instead every now and then, hence this. Saying that, Orks do kind of scream "CONVERT ME".......

checkerthinker: glad you like. Eventually I want to get my hands on all manner of Orky transport (bikes included). I've started looking out for different rusty surfaces when I'm out and about for ideas paint scheme wise. Would quite like to get my hands on a Stompa

world in grey: Cheers. Aye, it is kinda dirty . I think maybe I overdid it a little? I like the axe head more than the handle, but I think I know how to rectify that....

pluch87: Nice one. It would be my pleasure -

For the verdigris I basically used the GW method, except I don't own Hawk Turquoise, so, I mixed Enchanted Blue with Camo Green (I may have added a little Dark Angel too). When that was dry I then made a wash using the same mix but added a little Rotting Flesh too. I then added rust.

My rust recipe is also GW. I got a drybrush and stippled on Scorched Brown. Then I did the same again but with less gusto using Vermin Brown.

I think I also dabbed on here and there a bit of a wash I made using Chaos Black, Bleached Bone and splash of Ogryn Flesh.

The Handle was done by painting on the rust rather than stippling it but I think I can get a better finish if I stick to stippling next time.

Hope that's of use!

No more pics to add as of yet. I've just undercoated some more and hope to get them painted by the end of this weekend. Need to think of what to base them with. Any suggestions? I was thinking of getting some Scorched Grass and mixing it up with some gravel. What do you think?

Have a great week folks

Brother Sergeant checkerthinker's Avatar

the scorched grass look always looks good.....pity i only have glade grass (too unrealistic for me....) now i have to ask how did you do the color scheme for the clothes? it compliments would compliment very nicely with my orks skin tone

It will be great to see you apply this same 'rust' technique to your buggies and trukks! Hurry up and get painting

As for bases, maybe a dusty desert type base? I always think orks look good on desert bases

Librarian

I haven't decided on a base for my orks either... so I may do whatever you decide on :P though I was considering grey gravel/dead grass look. Either that or snow... since I have a huge shaker of snow still unused...

Also, I'm not a very big fan of the handle the more I look at it. The white and rust would mean that the pole was once white, correct? For some reason, I can't picture Orks wielding white-handled weapons. I would picture either wood or metal. But that's just my opinion, and that has never really mattered before,

checkerthinker: I've decided to go for dead grass instead, but have to wait for it to turn up. As regards the clobber, I painted the jump suits Snakebite Leather, the boots an old red (which I forget the name of) and the straps were done in Bleached Bone. i then washed them with a mix of Chaos Black, Bleached Bone and Ogryn Flesh. Hope that helps

Fle: I'm looking forward to rusting up, can't help thinking it might take me some time though (see below)

pluch87: I'm going for something similar on my bases, but sandy rocks instead I think. I'll see. I see what you're saying about the pole. Makes sense..... but, my story is that this dude's axe fell apart and he needed a new handle. He looked about and found a nice piece of rusty/white painted metal and so stuck it together.

So much for getting more done by the weekend. I've been painting these four since Monday last week. I think I might be the slowest painter.... ever

I was going to wait until I based these but my scenic bits have yet to turn up in the post. So, until then, here's a couple of quick pics:

As you can see, I have added more blue for that Deff Skulls chic. I'm quite pleased with the look (though I can already see a few bits that need touching up - like the Nob'z earring) and I think I'm going to paint the rest up like this with the odd variation here and there (quite fancy the idea of doing some up in Space 1999 space suits, which they already look like before I dirty them up http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1668782080/tt0072564)

Might be a while longer before I update (other than adding based pics) as I want to crack on with my Spawn for my other project.

Thanks for looking

You don't think the rusted pole worked? It looks brilliant, the rust and corrosion on the metal looks nice, a full Ork horde will look amazing.
    Painting Log - My for sale/trade thread! PM me if you're after something not on the list, I might have it!
    Available for commissions, PM me if you're interested.
    Kabal of the Poisoned Tongue plog
    Quote Originally Posted by Theocracity View Post
    I don't want to get all ad hominem up in here, but I honestly don't know why so many people who complain that Ward writes for 13 year olds insist on acting like 13 year olds anyhow.

gotta say i really like this scheme, even though they are thievin' deff skullz! the checks and hazard stripes are really well done. Are you going to add any blue warpaint to any of the skin? (for extra luck)

That weathering just makes me cringe and be glad I'm up to date on my Tetanus shots.
    Looking good
    Only losers call it cheating.
    Winners call it effective use of unconventional tactics

>TV and Movie Orks Project Log<<--Latest project (Horror movie Villains on Bikes)
    >Vampire Counts Project Log<<--Vampire

Rabid Bunny 666 - glad you think so, thanks. More rusted poles to come then

Electromancer - Ta very much. I'm umming and arring about blue skin paint. Toying with the idea of tattoos or woadlike patterns..... trying to get my green skin perfected first. I reckon doing blue can probably be done using the same technique

Wolf40k - I'm glad you're up to date with your tetanus shots too. Cheers!

Seems ages since my last update. I had a crack at painting seven at the same time. Took ******* ages.

I've been wondering about basing and have decided that seeing as my Orks are quite dark I should go for a darker base to lighten the paintjob. Not gotten round to that yet but hoping to get some done this week.

Here are the latest batch:

Thanks for looking. Have a great week

Brother Sergeant

The weapons look dull... maybe a highlight on the blade would make them pop better. Over all these are great orks!
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way.

Coming soon my summer of 2010 painting blog... Orks to the rescue!

BossKhamzi, aye, I've been thinking about that. I have it in mind to put these chaps across as though all their metal has rusted, bits of verdigris here and there with flaking paint jobs thrown in for good measure.

This is not only out of a love for weathering but also because I have got it into my head that I don't want to use any metallic paint whatsoever (while avoiding any flash NMM).

While they look dull in the photos, they are actually a bit brighter in reality. However, if you are referring to the potency of the weapons themselves being blunt and "dull", then you're correct. I was thinking I might add more rusting to the blade edges. Obviously this won't make them any sharper, but it will define the edges a little more.

Working on it and thanks for the compliment, I'm quite pleased with how these are turning out.

It's been a while since I added anything. I have 3 Nobs and 5 Boys awaiting finishing touches on my desk in front of me. For now, here are three freshly done ones, nothing much new to see, other than some lighter blue on the shoulders:

Blue will allways look good on orks i think. Especially 40k orks!

Beutiful work and i like the grittyness of them ladz!

Cheers-Kaos

Cheers Kaos

Three more Nobs to add this evening. These need tweaking as I don't think they're as tidy as the others. I'll get round to that when I base them.

Nowhere near as adventurous as some of the other Ork logs on here, but as soon as I get the boys out of the way, I can move onto more creative stuff.

Thanks for looking!

Took some pics of rust while out and about last week (living the dream). I thought I'd post them as some maybe of use to those of an Evil Sunz or Bad Moonz persuasion:

And MORE (I can barely contain myself):

I took these two while out walking on Saturday. Used my camera phone so a bit blurry:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast