Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ace XT's Catachans (not really a log)

Ace XT's Catachans (not really a log)

Since I don't have a decent camera, I haven't been able to document my 40K projects so far. However, my FLGS was nice enough to take some photos before today's game, and given this rare opportunity, I felt like sharing. That also means I won't be able to update this thread in a regular fashion, and as my army is complete for now, there won't be any work in progress. That being said, I hope some of you enjoy these grainy images.

EDIT: Most image links on page 1 are dead, and I repaired just a handful. Page 2 is fine.

The infantry, set up as Veterans. Most of those are 2nd ed. metal Catachans, except for a squad built from command squad parts.

There's a huge time gap between those tanks. I painted the Basilisk and the old Chimera in the late 1990s, in glowing emerald green. When I reactivated my Guard this year, I didn't bother to repaint them and just added a stubber to the Chimera. The rest was done this year, using airbrush and Revell paints.

The Armageddon-pattern Medusa is my pride and joy, and the interior detail on the kit is mind boggling. See below:

There's a ton of detail below the floor there, which is just impossible to see once the Medusa has been assembled.

Some might remember the Huey Valkyrie from its own thread here. At last, it is seeing some action, and after crashing last game thanks to the squadron rules (damn you!), it survived today.

I'll try and get some pics of my other units, but that's it for now.
    Last edited by AceXT; 14-08-2017 at 18:12.

Chapter Master

Re: Ace XT's Catachans (not really a log)

OMG, that Armaggedon medusa looks great, and I love the Drop the Hammer stenciled onto the side.

Nice to see some of the old Catachan models, I think they are much better than the current plastics.

I'm liking the Huuey Valkyrie too.
    Necromundan IG, the quick an easy way here, now with squats and other Rogue Trader era goodness.

Check out my Death Guard project log as I try to build them up for Apocalypse.

Love the interior on that Medusa!!!!

Catachan armies like these really do make me want to build a small Jungle fighters force.

Superb armour! Even the old school emerald green vehicles bring some nostalgia for me by harking back to the old 1999 codex IG release where everything was painted in very bold colours... and somehow still managed to look better than the studio work today does.

Jolly good show.
    "Until Hell Calls our Names" - the Prussarian Reichsguard IX Panzer Rgt. 2nd Company 'Geistritter'.

That sir is a very nice Valkyrie
    Hey, come and check out my log 'o guard right here.
    If you like what you see, leave some feedback, if not leave some feedback anyway.
    While you're at it, maybe check out his other stuff too?

"You can't rush art" - The old guy from Toy Story 2

Thanks for the kind words. I really have to borrow a camera and make pics of the rest of my army as well as some close-ups.

I really love the metal Catachans with their super-muscular build and great poses. Their facial expressions in particular are amazing, very evocative in a comic book-style. And yeah, they are a lot better than any of the plastics. I generally like GW's plastics, but the Catachans are the sad exception.

The Huey Valkyrie has a lot of fans by now. I also have a GW Valk, which didn't make it on any of the pics, unfortunately. I'll try and catch up on that.

I like the old colours on the chimera , reminds me of generation 2 megatron

So I borrowed a camera, and while the resulting pictures arenít perfect, at least I can continue with this thread. First off, some of my Catachan metal infantry.

I painted most of these guys in the late 90s, using the long-discontinued Emerald Green. I recently added a dip and matte varnish to give them a little more depth, and for the most part itís worked out okay. The next minis are more recent:

Few guard armies go without Melta-Veterans these days, so I thought Iíd add some too. As Iím not too happy with the basic plastic Catachans, I made these guys mostly from the Command sprues, with some standard plastic bits thrown in and a more recent metal officer as the Sarge. The bodies on the command sprues are fine for this, but the variety in arms is seriously lacking and some of the heads look small and weird. I had to do some digging in the bitz box to get everyone together.

Finally, some of my HQ. In the front you can see the old Straken mini along with the classic officers. I love the bald, shades wearing, cigar smoking badass Lt. to the right. Next, more things with legs:

Two of those are the old plastic Sentinels, outfitted with the Catachan Sentinel sprue. The one to the right is the new, far more complex Sentinel kit. For some reason I still had a leftover Catachan Sentinel sprue, but not an old Sentinel, and it took some fiddling to fit the camouflaged roof on the new one. These guys are painted in a Camo Green/Dark Angels Green/Chaos Black pattern, which I used on my Guard roughly between 2001 and 2005. Youíll see more of this when I post my tanks.

In this post: tanks! I’ll start off with the heavy stuff, and as these models were painted over the span of eleven years, you’ll notice vast differences in quality. Of course I could repaint, but I’d rather do completely new models, to be honest.

EDIT: All of the image links are dead, so here's some pics of my most recent Leman Russ, in the Vanquisher configuration that won't see much use:

(Images missing)

The Demolisher is my most recent Russ variant, and of course it’s fully magnetized. The current kit makes it pretty easy to swap weapons, so I can take the Executioner when facing Marines.

Next up: the old Exterminator, which I believe was the only tank to come with metal Catachan crew.

I really like the ‘Nam style commander on this one, even though the autocannons aren’t that hot. The slogan is "Here comes the pain."

And finally, the vanilla Russ. I think that was the first Guard tank I got, in 1998 probably, and the only one I ever repainted several years later because it was just that atrocious. At that point I also slapped on the bits from the (then new) vehicle accessory sprue. I do like the old hatch design, even though it can’t be assembled open.
    Last edited by AceXT; 14-08-2017 at 18:08.

nice looking tanks and the revell colours work really well.

I prefer the old hatch design on the russes too. the new ones just don't seem to look right...

Veteran Sergeant

Awesome little army you've got there, really diggin' the old school mixed with new school miniatures!

Next, Chimera variants, starting with my most recent one. I don't like the laser rifles much, given that people mostly fire meltas or flamers from the Chimera, so I just closed the gun ports with plasticard. I assume the crew can open them from the inside when needed.

Thanks to magnets, it also converts into a Hydra. Granted, the autocannon mount doesnít allow much movement, but itís a pretty smooth and simple conversion. The radar dish is from the Manticore and is held by a magnet underneath the hull.

Compare and contrast, the old green Chimera. The new kit is so much better; itís not even funny anymore. Assembly with the invisible internal roadwheels was a nightmare.

I recently cleaned it up a bit and swapped the old stormbolter for a more sensible stubber. Next, the fast and the furious:

The Salamander Scout is a conversion based on plans GW had on its site years ago. Weapons and crew are from the heavy weapons sprue, the armor is cut from plasticard. I like how it came out, even though it barely sees action thanks to general rules mediocrity.

And last in this post, the Hellhound. I have an old one, too, but sent it into retirement.

You've done an excellent job with the command plastics, and whatever other Catachan bits you used. I was so excited when the original plastic IG box came out I spent all my pocket money on them without realising that they looked absolutely terrible...

Todayís update: death from above, one way or another.

Starting with the Basilisk. Somehow, the photo makes it looks even worse than reality.

The crew in the back are metal heavy weapons crewmen from the lascannon and mortar.

The Griffon still has the old school Cadian crew, because I like the spotter and it would have been to much work to replace them. The regular open topped version never looked quite right to me, so I added some shields similar to the Salamanderís. Now that I think about it, I should probably take off the huge old stormbolter, like I did with the Basilisk.

The Manticore is my most recent artillery piece, next to the Medusa, of course. I went with the Catachan crewman, nothing special here. Still, as a G.I. Joe geek it keeps reminding me of the Cobra Imp.

And finally, the Valkyrie.

This is the model that got me started on my new camo pattern. I wanted the Valk to evoke the Vietnam War, but feld that the Huey's dark green would look boring on such a huge model. So instead I looked at F-4 Phantoms, and went with the SEA camo used by the US in the war. I liked it, so I kept it for my tanks.

Couldn't pass on the interior detail. The crew don't look very Catachan, but I liked their flightsuits too much to fiddle with them. And for those who are wondering, a size comparison:

Last edited by AceXT; 14-08-2017 at 18:09.

Chapter Master

Nice, I like the picture comparing the huey and Valk, they look great.

real awesome army you got there,

nice clean painting, you make the Catachans look good

anny plans to add more to it?

I think I'll add another Chimera/Hydra in the foreseeable future, because Chimeras are crazy good. Perhaps I'll make a Colossus when I figure out how to do the giant mortar. The next Guard thing on my desk is a Cadian infantry squad with alternate heads from Pig Iron Productions. I plan to make two of those squads and use them as bubble wrap. Beyond that, I think my Guard is done.

Very rare to see a good-looking Catachan army, and this one's great. Thanks for posting, and keep updating it with anything else you add!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast