Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ace XT's Catachans (not really a log)

Re: Ace XT's Catachans (not really a log)

I love the smell of catachans in the morning! Great job!
    My blog: contains sci-fi, historical and contemporary models.

http://double0sven.blogspot.com/

Almost two years since my last update, but now I have some actual WIP shots:

Since my 1990s Basilisk is kinda ugly, I decided to get a new one, with pretty Forgeworld gun shields. The camo edges are sharper, since I worked with actual masking tape instead of just wrapping the thing in paper. I also made some crew from plastics (not pictured).

In my quest to do multifunctional models, the Basilisk also converts into a sorta-Colossus:

The siege mortar looks a bit small for a Colossus, more like a Medusa, but I hope it gets the point across. The mortar was made from a Deathstrike missile, old H-K missile cases, bulldozer blade mountings and an inverted tank hatch. The crane comes from the Ork Battlewagon, with the base made from a Rhino hatch and other tank bitz.

It'll take a few weeks for me to paint the thing, but I'll post pics of the final model, if there's interest.

Great looking mortar tank - really clever use of parts. Good luck finishing it up!

And here are the finished tanks:

The crew are a mix of generic and Catachan parts, and the shell ist a leftover from my Baneblade. The slogan for this vehicle is "steel rain".

Transform into Colossus:

Here's my Vulture - with Punisher cannons, of course.

Brother Sergeant

Your Catachans are awesome. I look forward to seeing more of them in the future!

Wow these guys look brilliant.Any more pics?

Very nice!! You've certanly captured that classic 'catachan-feeling'!
    "Honey, just because snow is the same color as our refrigerator doesn't mean you know how it works!" - Stan Smith, American Dad

Bad Moons! - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3877551
    Through Sun and Steel(IG) - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?367907
    Junkyard Warriors and more(Necromunda) http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?349167

So it's been four and a half years since I last posted here, but 8e has motivated me to get the old Guard back into action. For a start, I thought I'd join the bandwagon and add some Tempestus, starting with their (slightly modified) ride:

The standard Taurox has many elements that just look bad, from the tracks to the bizarre bolted-on guns at the rear flanks, so I had to put in a little work to make it decent. I got a wheeled conversion kit from Zinge Industries, and I'm quite happy with it. The axles fit the body perfectly, so it's a definite recommendation. Next, I mounted the secondary armament on the turret, as a sort of remote controlled weapons system. Finally, I blocked off the viewport in the turret with a Sentinel bit and added a periscope. The dirt on the tires was a huge pain in the ass. I got a pot of earth effects from AK Interactive, and it was completely useless - the effect was indistingushable from brown paint. Several layers of pigment and varnish later I just gave up, so here it is.

EDIT: I just noticed that all the old image links are dead. I don't think it's worth it to re-upload them all, but I might fix some of the better ones when I get the chance.
    Last edited by AceXT; 14-08-2017 at 16:58.

Welcome back. Nice start this Taurox. These Zinge wheels are cool.

And here's the first few Tempestus Scions to ride in the Taurox:

I couldn't resist doing an all-beret wearing squad, and the color scheme takes a little inspiration from WW2 British paratroopers. It's a definite contrast to the Catachans, but they could still work in the same kind of terrain, I guess. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the more baroque details on the armor, so I tried to blend those in as much as possible. Overall, I'm pretty happy with these guys, and once I'm done with a few characters I'll paint up the rest.

Commander

Very nice work, I like them and the Taurox very much

A proper Catachan for a change, Sergeant Harker:

Not a huge fan of the mini, but he seems very useful.

Also, I made a generic medic from Cadian and Tempestus bits:

Two really goodlooking minis, AceXT Dont like the Harker mini either so i made my own version
    / SDKFZ

AceXT,

Great work on the Tempestus Scions and the Taurox.

Cheers,

CB

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG - Alaitoc Eldar PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Selling OOP GW Books and Games - Interested in buying oop metal Eldar

Been busy with AdMech and other stuff, but I'm starting on something new for the Guard:

A FW Ryza pattern Annihilator turret for the Leman Russ. Technically, it's more of a Death Korps bit, with the air filters and all, but I'm gonna make it an option for an all new Catachan Russ. I know it doesn't profit from Catachan doctrine, but it's still useful and looks cool.

Assembly challenges: the Ryza turret fits in the Russ turret ring fine, albeit with a bit of jiggle room. However, it doesn't have the regular two nubs to hold it in place. Instead, there's a ring you attach from the underside, kinda like a nut to a screw. I still want to be able to use the regular Battle Cannon turret and get the Ryza turret to have a better hold, so I built a bridge that can fit a magnet while not getting in the way of the standard Russ attachment nubs.

The rest should be pretty straightforward.

ooh, glad to see that as was thinking of getting a FW turret to use so may steal the idea
    Flashheart: Mind if I use your phone? If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves. I wouldn't want them on my conscience, not when they ought to be on my face!

Some low-quality (sorry) progress pics:

Made a little plasticard frame for some stowage on the Battlecannon turret:

In my fluff my Krieg regiment ends up at Ryza, and helping my XIth legion Desert Lions with kicking out the invading orcs, together with Ryzan Admech, Ulani and Catachan troops, so cool to see a Ryzan turret in Catachan use..
    Have a look at my Combined Krieg/ Ryzan Husarz-Grenadiers attempt: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177393
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggalo
    If my post comes across as angry/aggressive/offensive/whatever, it is not intended as such. At worst, it is merely incredulity, conveyed through the inflexible format of an internet forum.Don't flatter yourself thinking anything to the contrary

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast