Thread: Spray undercoating in very cold weather

Commander

Spray undercoating in very cold weather

I need to do some undercoating using either GW or Halfords white spray paint. However at the present time its very cold even in the shed where I usually do the undercoating, and Im not sure if the paint will cover properly. Has anyone got any suggestions.
    Your views much appreciated as I need all the help I can get!
    My WH blog http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195162
    My Iron warriors and word bearers project log http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260551
    Imperial Blog http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288036
    Xenos Blog http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288038

Re: Spray undercoating in very cold weather

Build a weathermachine or wait for global warming to kick in more hefty.

Apart from that...try using a box you can shut (I've been usins a rather large GW mailorder box for some years), spray outside, take the box in with you immediately, shut it and wait for it to dry. Put it in a well-ventilated area for this.

Use brush on primer or undercoating.

OR build a box with a clear viewing window, some sort of rubber gloves or attached plastic bags to allow you to manipulate objects within the sealed box, add a lazy-susan turntable. You'll have to wait a long time for the paint to dry before breaching the box. Unless you also hook up some sort of venting.

Do you have any heated parking garages around? Large warehouses of workshops that might let you spray paint?
    Or you wait for warmer weather.
    Don't be doing that weather maching thing. I just got the planet to the way I like it and I don't want to have to start over. j/k It's not my planet....it's a rental.
    To master any skill you must accept doing it poorly at first.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    spray outside, take the box in with you immediately, shut it and wait for it to dry. Put it in a well-ventilated area for this.
    I used to do this, but then someone told me leave the models outside to dry. Apparently miniatures should not be made subject to temperature changes while the undercoat is drying.

Honestly, I have no idea what is correct method (if there is one). However, I've never faced any issues with spraying in cold. This includes temperatures up to about -20C. Any colder than that and I'd rather stay inside and paint old models.
    Last edited by jullevi; 29-11-2010 at 04:05.
    Quote Originally Posted by Games Workshop
    It's a great excuse to start collecting ANOTHER army. One can never have enough armies and starting a new one is always exciting.

the smell comes from the propellant in the spray can. If you have steady hands, you could set up everything on your spray tray indoors where there is heat, and then carry them and the paint outside where you would spray. give it a minute afterwards for the smell to mostly dissipate and then bring everything back inside. The steady hands are a must to keep your tray steady so that nothing rolls around or falls off.

Frankly, sometimes I just open a window indoors and spray near to the window. doesn't work as well, but it is the only way to spray paint when it is pouring outside. **edit** if you do this, it is best to do it in a room that you are about to clean, so that you can quickly clean the paint up that missed the models and the tray (and earning a couple bankable brownie points by doing some housework at the same time).
    Last edited by carldooley; 29-11-2010 at 07:12.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Damocles View Post
    Should I find this thread funny or horrific?

In this weather, I, too, have simply moved my spraying operations indoors. But then, I'm blessed with a dedicated hobby room (well, it is my day job!), so I can spray to my heart's content and not worry too much about particle contamination. I do have to open a window, of course.

For black priming, though, I have to say that whilst the primer tends to dry with a slightly chalky finish, it still works perfectly adequately as a priming coat and doesn't interfere with subsequent painting as far as I've noticed.

The main challenge is with varnish. My Citadel Purity Seal and Army Painter Matt have been behaving themselves much better since I move spraying indoors and because the varnish is clear, you don't have the same problem with particle contamination (still open a window, though!).

R.

I've found that all my spray cans keep clogging outside too so I've had to give it a rest for now
    \m/ Metalhead of Warseer \m/
    My general painting log
    My Urban Mammoth Log

I've just finished undercoating some models outside now, and all went fine. I used Halfords grey primer. I set everything up outside and left it all for 15 minutes, then started spraying. I left the models outside to dry and the primer has gone on perfectly. Not sure of the exact temperature here in Nottingham but it's about 0c.

In the current weatherconditions (western europe) i always use my airbrush to undercoat my models. the paint i use is a diluted version of the black primer in the GW foundation boxed set. works great.

Cold conditions mean the paint won't go off correctly. It means the undercoat will run. This can happen in any temperature below roughly below 50F / 10C.

Ideally if you are in a shed, you'll want to use a heater / heat lamp. It's also a useful bit of kit to use during high humidity which can cause similar problems.

Spraying in cold or humid weather is rather simple really. Just make sure that your paint can and models are stored inside. Go outside, spray models as normal. Immediately come back inside and allow the models to dry. As long as you don't leave the models out in the elements, it should dry just fine. I've been doing this in Norther Ohio (Humid and cold) and Central Florida (HUMID) and now Los Angeles for more than 15 years and have only ever had one bad coat of primer.

I always heat up my cans by running under warm (lukewarm) water for 5 mins while shaking vigeriously.

The only primer to fail this method is the stuff by plasticoate.
    Supporting Elves since 1994, 2012 - Year of the elves!
    Avater by http://tauring.deviantart.com/
    My Web site.
    Bridgwater Wargames Club
    Everyday I'm forced to add another name to the list of painters I hate due to extremely good painting abality.

I just use spray undercoat in the bathroom - its fully tiled and the excess spray just washes off the bath (metal) and tiles pretty easily.
    Obviously do a little test before you try this out!

Quote Originally Posted by Todosi View Post
    Spraying in cold or humid weather is rather simple really. Just make sure that your paint can and models are stored inside. Go outside, spray models as normal. Immediately come back inside and allow the models to dry. As long as you don't leave the models out in the elements, it should dry just fine. I've been doing this in Norther Ohio (Humid and cold) and Central Florida (HUMID) and now Los Angeles for more than 15 years and have only ever had one bad coat of primer.
    +1

This is what I do, and living in Kansas City, I've found spraying outside in the fall/winter actually gets me better coverage than spraying outside in the humid summers (and is a lot more convenient than spraying inside any time of year).
    Quote Originally Posted by onidemon View Post
    And, that's the really big deal with 2nd edition, for me. Its as much about the story you tell on the board as winning or losing. Its random, sloppy, and overly complicated. But, for one who loves the background fluff and wants to see their chosen army do the kinds of things that would fill a novel or a movie, 2nd edition delivers it by the truckload.