Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stone Cold - Ice World Terrain

Arrow Stone Cold - Ice World Terrain

Greetings fellow Warseers! Couldn't resist the Hammerfall reference in the thread title...

This log will record my attempt at making an ice world terrain set for Warhammer 40K. Very fitting considering our lovely Swedish weather at the moment:

The background

My main inspiration for this project comes from the battle report “Cold Steel” in White Dwarf 231 (April 1999 - yes, a long time ago).

As I browsed some of my old WD’s a while ago I found myself having to stop at this issue and re-read the battle report. The battle saw the Ultramarines take on hive fleet Behemoth in a refight of the Tyranid attack on the polar fortresses on Macragge during the first Tyrannic War. The Marines lost the battle report, so it went against the historical events a bit. Nevertheless, it was a good read and I suddenly knew I wanted some ice world terrain of my own!

The terrain used in the battle report can also be seen in the 3rd edition WH40K rulebook on the inside of the cover and pages 30, 211, 217 and 218.

After a lot of pondering I made the decision to start gathering materials and tools for the project. During this time I also looked up material on the web about ice and snow terrain making. I picked up some good ideas from these sources:

• This clip on making ice world terrain on Youtube provides useful techniques when making ice features.
    • The Space Wolves terrain feature on GW’s site gave me some tips on painting a snow board.

The plan

My board will measure 120 x 240 cm (consisting of four 50 mm thick 120 x 60 cm styrofoam sheets).

The board in WD 231 had snow drifts, ice floes, ice crystal formations, an icy river and a research station (and some other fortifications). So based on this I plan to make the following terrain features (the numbers may change over time):

• 4 ice crystal patches. FINISHED
    • 2 snow drifts. FINISHED
    • 2 formations of ice blocks/floes. FINISHED
    • 1 river measuring 120 cm (across the board). The river consists of four sections (30 cm each). FINISHED
    • 1 mammoth skeleton FINISHED
    • 2 gun emplacements FINISHED
    • Research station FINISHED
    • 2 patches of coniferous trees FINISHED
    • 5 defence lines/fortifications FINISHED
    • Imperial Guard Command Tower (GW Card building)FINISHED

Materials:
    • Pink styrofoam 50 mm thick (mainly for the ice crystals)
    • White styrofoam 50 mm thick (four sheets of these will be used as the board itself)
    • White styrofoam 20 and 10 mm thick (for ice and snow drifts)
    • Hardboard 3,2 mm thick (for the bases of the terrain pieces)
    • Snow flock
    • Water effect
    • Paint (various blue shades and white)
    • Paint texture powder

Tools:
    • Sharp knife
    • Electric foam cutter
    • Saw
    • Paintbrushes
    • Hot glue gun
    • PVA glue
    • Paint roller

Where to begin?

I've already collected all the materials and tools for my project (I think), so all I have to do now is find some time to start building! I'll start with painting the board itself as soon as I can make some room in the garage. Meanwhile I've begun some work on the ice crystals:

************************************************** ************************************************

Pictures of the finished board:

<

Re: Stone Cold - Ice World Terrain

Im interested, moar please?
    <

Interesting stuff! Bring it on!
    A mind without purpose buys stuff it doesn't need.
    My Modular Swamp project log!
    A lonely planet guide to your very own planet? Come join in the fun on my Design a world thread!
    <

Thanks for the encouraging comments!

I managed to find some time after work today, so armed with a heating fan (it's cold in my garage) I cleared some space in the garage and got stuck in!

I started by laying out the four sheets of styrofoam that will form the board itself. It's rather hard to picture how big the board will be beforehand, but in this way I was able to see that 1,2 x 2,4 metres is indeed quite massive!

Then I painted the sheets with my "icy blue" paint. This first coat will hopefully make sure that the styrofoam soaks up less of the paint in the second layer of icy blue, which will contain the paint texture powder. I'm adding this in order to make the surface a bit rough and more textured(doh!).

I haven't decided exactly how to continue after that, but it will definately involve a lighter blue paint and white paint. I'll have to do a test piece before I get to work on the large sheets.

While the paint was slowly drying I started chopping up a hardboard sheet with my trusty electrical saw (well, actually it's my brothers saw). I cut out 4 pieces (roughly 20 x 24 cm) which I intend to use as bases for my ice crystal formations.

And that's about how far I got today! I hope to do some more work this weekend though!
    <

Back with a short update.

Today I've rolled the styrofoam with textured paint:

Perhaps I have to put on a second layer of textured paint, but I'll wait and see how it looks once dry.

I've also filed the edges (for a smoother finish) of the four terrain bases (for the crystals) and painted them blue. I'm thinking about making them more rounded though as they turned out a bit too square. I'll see if I can fix that tomorrow.

<

Chapter Master The Laughing God's Avatar

The blue looks nice. I've always liked ice themed tables. Are you planning on adding patches of snow as well or just keeping it all ice?
    <

Quote Originally Posted by The Laughing God View Post
    The blue looks nice. I've always liked ice themed tables. Are you planning on adding patches of snow as well or just keeping it all ice?
    Thanks! I'm planning on having snow cover most of the board. I'm hoping to leave som blue shining through to create the illusion of snow-covered ice.

Check out the Space Wolves terrain feature on GW:s site. I'm planning on trying out their method, but with my blue instead of their Shadow grey.
    <

Today I've mostly been cutting hardboard as you can see from these pics. The four pieces on the left are for the ice crystals patches and the two larger ones on the right will be "hills" of some sort with sheets of ice stacked on top of each other (a bit hard to explain but you'll see when I build them). I have only painted the sides as of yet, so here they are lying bottom up.

I also cut out my hardboard river sections. There are, as can be seen, four 30 cm sections in total.

<

Some good progress. Can't wait to see more.
    <

Its to cold out to be making snow terrain...

Good start and I am looking forward to seeing the end result.
    Quote Originally Posted by BodhiTree View Post
    Beyond that, call Xzibit and ask him to pimp your painting rig. They'll add a telelvision, some hydraulics and black-lights, then you'll be the envy of your town.
    My Log-
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212228
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Sparda View Post
    Its to cold out to be making snow terrain...
    Yeah, tell me about it! It snows all the time and the temperature seems stuck around -4 degrees celsius.

I've painted the hardboard pieces with textured paint (close to Ice blue).

After that I drybrushed them with my lighter blue (close to Space Wolves Grey) to get more depth.

They're looking a bit more icy now, but in the next stage I'll try adding some white to get the impression of snow.
    <

I'm experimenting a lot at this stage...trial and error I suppose.

I sprayed the hardboard pieces with white, being careful not to hold the can too close to the surface.

This looked like the effect I was after so I repeated the process on the styrofoam sheets forming the board itself. I began with drybrushing it with the Space wolves grey-type colour.

I then sprayed the board with white. I tried to apply it in an erratic fashion to get an uneven coat.

Not the best picture, but it looks quite good IRL. Kinda like frosty ice...

I think I want it to be a bit more snowy though, so tomorrow I'll probably give it a drybrush of white.
    <

That blue is looking really good. You can make some awesome ice terrain in addition to those crystals.
    <

Today I finally had the time to drybrush the board with white paint:

Closeup of the surface:

I'm not really sure if that's enough white...or does it look too blue? What do you guys think?:confused:

I'm also planning on getting some snow flock to apply in random places on the surface to make it look like snow patches. Maybe it'll look better then...

I also drybrushed the hardboard pieces with white:

These doesn't look nearly as blue as the board itself as can be seen. I guess this is because the board has far more cracks where the blue paint has settled deeper in.

I'll have to think about my next move with the board, but meanwhile I'll try to do some more work on the other terrain pieces.
    <

Doing some work on the snow drifts at the moment (having a nice day off from work). I started with cutting out the shapes of my drifts from a sheet of 2 cm thick styrofoam:

I then took my foam cutter and made them more sloped:

Next up I painted them with textured "Ice blue" paint:

While the paint is drying I'll have a go at painting the ice crystals.
    <

Wow! That's a LOT of ice crystals!

I cut these out of pink 5 cm thick styrofoam, taking care to make them in different height and thickness.

The crystals painted with "Ice blue":

I stuck nails in them so I could hold them without getting all blue while I painted them...

Next up I'll drybrush the crystals with the lighter blue shade.
    <

Chapter Master

hej
    lovin the ice board mate...exactly the kind of thinkg i wanna do for my Space Wolves....but yeah its a tad to cold outside to be even thinkin about creatin Ice themed terrain....your lucky if its only -4 at yours...im at -30 and counting here in Dalarna...keep it up though mate

kerby
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Nasha View Post
    hej
    lovin the ice board mate...exactly the kind of thinkg i wanna do for my Space Wolves....but yeah its a tad to cold outside to be even thinkin about creatin Ice themed terrain....your lucky if its only -4 at yours...im at -30 and counting here in Dalarna...keep it up though mate

kerby
    Actually...today we have -16 here in Blekinge. Not as cold as you have it, but still damn cold!

Thanks for the encouragement!
    <

An update on the crystals - I've drybrushed them with my lighter blue (Space wolves grey-ish):

I used the flat side of my brush so that I only got paint on the raised edges. Turned out quite nice I think!
    <

Like the shape and colour of your ice blocks, going to give then a gloss varnish to make them look icy?

Bugbait out
    * Apocalypse Ork Plog * * Terrain building log * * Bugbaits Thunder Wolves *
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiasm
    <

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast