Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Eredrian's Warhammer Quest 3D dungeon

Eredrian's Warhammer Quest 3D dungeon

Hello,

since this year I found back to Warhammer Quest. (I guess, there is no need to introduce it) After reading the rules I began to convert the floor tiles to 3D because I had the opinion, that the players should see, where their warriors can go and where not (also it makes a more fantastic feeling playing with such dungeons and figures). For this reason I brought on some additional walls to the rooms. Sure, the free combination of floor tiles is limited, but in all games we had never the case, "that there was a wall in the way".
    How I made it? I used Styrodur plates, where I signed on the rooms, then cutted them out and then I glued on some plates of Selitron as walls. For stability I spend some wood plates. The materials itself cost nearly nothing and standard rooms can be converted really fast.

Enough words, here are some introducing pictures:

Gaol - Because I was not convinced about my building abilities, I began with an easy, small room, the gaol.

Here I changed the colour and the circle until I liked the room.

Easily like a regular passage...

I have found a fan work room. Now it is part of my dungeon.

Re: Eredrian's Warhammer Quest 3D dungeon

More rooms...

still WIP, the coloumns need more colour and some bits are missing

a special trap room, the platform, the warriors are standing on can rotate (sorry, GIFs are not allowed to upload)

Last edited by Eredrian; 26-11-2011 at 09:51.

Veteran Sergeant

Wow, your dungon sections look awesome, can't wait to see more (and the whole dungon together eventually I hope ) Are you going to do characters and monsters for the dungon as well?

Thank you, yes I made some miniatures for the game. Additionally (because it is Warhammer) I can use my fantasy armies models. In former times we played with the old Hero Quest figures (not my ownership).

Here is a short list of the main figures (the rest is still unpainted, because it took me more time than building dungeon rooms). A discussion point is, the dungeon is covered with stone, most of the model bases are covered with gras. But seriously, it doesn't play any role while gaming.

An old picture of an old one. The assasin was one of the first painted Quest models.

What to do with bits? Make some markers, here I used some bits of the reaper bolt box of the High Elves.

The Elven Bowman Champion is often in use and must do a lot of jobs (Playing Elf, Elf Ranger)

Snotlings - A conversion for both WHFB and WHQ

He acts like his cousin. Used as warrior, DE Champion and common DE, he has to do also a lot of jobs.

The barbarian is actually the last painted model for this game.

Oh my goodies! That is very, very nice! You have some very good skills with cutting reliefs into the floor.

So your initial post was a bit difficult to understand, I didn't quite get if you made those walls yourself. Did you cut those out as well? Or are they pre-designed wall sections? And this Styrodur stuff... Is it just regular styrofoam? Or something else?

If anything, really, really nice job!
    One small tip, but it's not that important, is to add some green wash to the wall section, to make it nice and mossy!

And I second Funky01chef, a picture of all tiles together with some characters in it, that would be fantastic!
    Last edited by Daniel36; 18-12-2010 at 16:51.
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

(There was a delay with the post)

So, ok, the basis for the rooms is Styrodur/polysterine (I used 2 cm thick plates = 1 Level), I didn't knew it before under this name. Selitron is an underlay for laminate (1m x 50 cm, 5 mm thick), my version have had premade horizontal lines (you can look for it, the price is the same), so I only needed to add vertical lines to make stone by stone. After it, I've chosen a height for my wall and cutted it out.

The idea with the green wash is good, I will do it, when I've finished all rooms additionally with brown. So it is in "real time" wasting. On experiment with the sewage is still done (picture later). Also I want to bring in dark effect, because the warriors going around with a lantern and so a room can never be fully lighted (in my opinion).

ToDos:
    Connecting Doorways (Level 1 and 2)
    Bits like in the Monsters' lair *
    Wasting the Dungeon
    Model painting

* Monsters' Lair - The last home of someone with a red cloak...
    The glibber on the hole is made with spot colour (is cheaper for big things like dungeons) and Vallejo Water Effects - Atlantic Blue;
    I'm sorry, while buying I thought it can be used as good water effect, but it's to light blue. Now its only sense is to improve glibber effects, perhaps I try it as coating for some metallic effects.

The flames of Khazla offer a lot of challenges for the warriors.
    Last edited by Eredrian; 19-12-2010 at 22:01. Reason: hints added

Very neat and subtle details. Wow, this is excellent work! Well done!
    Developer of the Death Squads 40k skirmish game!

It's not Kill Team, it's not Mordheim, it's not Necromunda. But it's all that and more!
    Death Squads is an entirely fanmade skirmish game set in the 40k universe. Go check it out!

I really, REALLY like what you are doing! It looks top notch! I am glad to know it's just basically polystereen. That's not too hard to find here.
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

Thanks again,

so Daniel, you haven't directly asked for, but here is a short tutorial to scratch the rooms.

1. Be sure how large your room is (in squares and sqauresize, I use 2.7 cm^2, space enough for common minis) and outline the room with a set square to guarantee 90 format.
    2. Scratch the squares inside the room and cut the room out.
    3. Has the room any topic (like on the picture) or exist any master of it?
    For example I show the following rooms, easier master can be converted better, sure.

On this picture (while zooming in) you can see all the lines made with the pencil. It's like at the time in school, geometry: Set quare, circle and pencil

When you only line out the needed ones you have your design. Try to avoid the redundant pencil lines, it's nothing seen when undercoating with black.
    In fact, you have to draw the design to times.

4. 2 level rooms are made in the same way, you only add one unprepared piece of polystereen as bottom and only scratch the seen parts in.

5. Holes, Gaps and so on were signed with a pen and prepared with knife and forceps (keep attention! Perhaps you can recycle some parts)

6. Painting...

7. Glue on painted bits (also possible when you have finished work)

8. Optional felt to protect your dining, er, gaming table (cheap to buy as end section)

Well, you certainly made some real nice pieces! The one with the starry designs is my absolute favourite! Really nicely done!

The felt thing on the bottom is a great, great tip!

(in no particular order)

To demonstrate how the crossroads work, I give another picture.

Actually in 3D I musst edit the functional part of the room, because in the original version, there was no space for 4 warriors when added some walls. So the basic circle was expanded with 4 squares of 2.7 cm each as center. The groundplate was also expanded by wall thickness=cicumference.
    (I have to keep it in mind, when I use prewritten adventures)

Very kool chamber

Ok, here are two more dungeon impressions.

At least, not directly for dungeon games, a dwarven ancestor shrine. It will be used in Warhammer Fantasy Battles and sometimes in dwarven dungeon adventures (and for the first time no convert).

New rooms in the new year:

The junction is my own creation and very colourful. For my defence it is orc made. But I wanted a new form of dungeon splitter than the regular T-junction or the Halls of Dead.

Torture Room - Version II
    This is the second torture room for my dungeon. I found some good model by Thomarillion, so I work it in.

Gorgut's Lair
    I'm quite not sure, but I mean this is the first picture of a 3D version this room (and an add-on room in general). When I'm wrong I wish to get a link to be inspired.
    So, still WIP it is already playable, that's important. Later I will add all things, you know from the origin. What do you thing about the red line in the room, is it ok? I wanted to realize something else than always grey stone walls and it it of course a special room, which needs a special decoration.
    Last edited by Eredrian; 07-01-2011 at 22:00.

The torture room is kick ass!!! How did you do the walls?

(in no particular order)

What do you mean, the building or painting?

How I wrote before, I used a commercial part, because in my opinion it is so organized, that there is no other use than as part of the room. I cutted the volume of this part out of the foam. You can see the walls in front, this is the regular height, so for the add-on I only adapt the height, also they are thicker, I've taken to plates to compense the thickness of the "dungeon" wall.
    http://www.thomarillion.de/index.php...3f64564b869fe1
    The painting was the same as everytime. Drybrushing grey than white top down. The new part was some brown and green areas now bottom-up.

For dungeons and landscape painting I use colour from the building center, 500 ml costs only 3-5 and you need this volumes! The advance of it is also, that you do't need to finish it (keep in mind, that the foam vanishes with the gas of sprays).

Good stuff, makes me kind of want to play!
    I'm your huckleberry

"Pain or damage doesn't end the world, the world ends when your dead... and you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back" -AS

Something, I like to read.

Ok, most of the rooms have been converted, so I need other work to relax. In my rooms is much space, they are empty. I bought some inventory, but it is still not enough. This forces me to build up my inventory beginning with 4 tables. They should be destroyable (very popular in recent pc games), this means I need additionally 4. Because of I didn't know what warriors and monster do with inventory I create it so, that it is designed out on every side.

I tested out the usability of the tables:

Ghoule thrown -> table's broken v/ check
    Gobbos takes small parts to barricade v/ check
    Warriors defend with table wall v/ check
    Taken gobbos foot and smashed him on the table -> neck and table have been broken v/ check
    Monsters jump on inventory to ignore obstacles v/ check
    Orc bears table v/ check

All table are surrounded with grain, also on the bottom (remember the orc).
    So I guess I need also chairs...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast