Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Games Workshop Writers

Chaplain

Games Workshop Writers

Hey y'all, I was looking at the Grey Knights rumors (something I've spent WAY to much time on lately), and one frequent question is, "Who Wrote It?" Then someone mentioned that GW hired more writers last year for their development team.
    All this got me thinking, who are the Games Workshop writers, especially for 40k? I know Ward, Cruddace, and Kelly. They seem to be the only 40k writers that GW is using for 5th ed. So who else is there?

Re: Games Workshop Writers

If it's Matt Ward, I'm going to vomit in rage.
    Kabal of the Shattered Blade underway, where are my grotesque...

If it's Matt ward I will cheer my heart out. I love his army books.
    ( no there is no sarcasm to be found here I'm being honest)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWarSmith View Post
    Angelofsorrow is my new favorite poster. +1 on the non existent karma score for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvora View Post
    You just made me hope it is Ward...

If it is, you better get someone to video and youtube your rage-vomit.
    --Kyn

Armies: Waaagh! Žursblóš, Hivefleet Orochi

Quote Originally Posted by AngelofSorrow View Post
    If it's Matt ward I will cheer my heart out. I love his army books.
    ( no there is no sarcasm to be found here I'm being honest)
    I know right, I can't wait for the salamanders or Ultramarines to show up and save the Grey knights. And Azzy, that might be a promise you can hold me to

Librarian Friedrich von Offenbach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dvora View Post
    I think quite a few people would probably agree with you, after........last time

I really wouldn't mind it if Ward wrote the book, his codexes aren't as bad ass everyone makes them out to be, and only that "They can NEVER be Ultramarines but still want to be thing" is infuriating, and even that can be good for fluff (My DE Archon is a fallen Exarch, who became a pirate when he realized he could never be an Ultramrine). I heard that Ward is writing the crons book though. Maybe Phil Kelly can will do it.
    I roll Boxcars 40k and Fantasy blog ( and sometimes Warmachine) Hobby articles, battle reports and more!

Enter the Dark City, the only Dark Eldar exclusive forum!

The new GK book will be interesting indeed folks:

If its Ward then Stern will destroy a particularly nasty daemon, seeing as Kabanda was just defeated in the BA dex so I would expect Stern to single handedly kerb stomp Ang'grath. Gotta keep that fluff power escalation going.

If its Cruddace then Stern will kerb stomp Ang'grath but will do so with his special rules and not fluff escalation, he will have at least 5 unique rules which differ only slightly from USRs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashc View Post
    Many wise words from Mannimarco.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariobarzanes View Post
    That Clown/herald of nurgle has some interesting ideas.....

Quote Originally Posted by kargenetic View Post
    Hey y'all, I was looking at the Grey Knights rumors (something I've spent WAY to much time on lately), and one frequent question is, "Who Wrote It?" Then someone mentioned that GW hired more writers last year for their development team.
    All this got me thinking, who are the Games Workshop writers, especially for 40k? I know Ward, Cruddace, and Kelly. They seem to be the only 40k writers that GW is using for 5th ed. So who else is there?
    Just a reminder y'all, this is not another winge-fest thread. This guy asked who writes for GW now, not how much they suck. I'd answer, but I only know the three he mentioned already (who I believe are the only 40k writers until the new crop get their own projects).

Cruddace is primary on the next release with some of the new writers cutting teeth. So far as I know.

All the writes worth a damn left

Chapter Master

speaking of which who is writing the necron codex?
    Australia is a funny place. You see, our land animals dont run, they hop. Our birds dont fly, they run. And lastly, our swans arnt beautiful and white, no, they are beautiful and black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher View Post
    Especially if someone can stop Mat form going: "After Aeons of slumber the Necrotyr awakend to harvest the galaxy anew... but realizing they will never be Ultramarines, the Necrotyr descended into stasis once more."

Quote Originally Posted by Reflex View Post
    From what I hear from the rumor mongers, Matt Ward is.

Commander

Quote Originally Posted by Reflex View Post
    Unfortunatelly Ward...

Dunno. The worst books by a long stretch in the current 5th edition range are Imperial Guard (ridiculously broken, unbalanced and badly priced) and Space Wolves (the ultimate comical low of wolvy-wolf-wolfman-wolves). Neither was written by Ward. Not that his writing is perfect, but Ward is certainly far, far superiour to the works of "I-have-a-feeble-grasp-of-balance-and-rule" Cruddace and "I-totally-ignore-rules-JoTWW-and-spam-corny-descriptives" Kelly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mannimarco View Post
    The new GK book will be interesting indeed folks:

If its Ward then Stern will destroy a particularly nasty daemon, seeing as Kabanda was just defeated in the BA dex so I would expect Stern to single handedly kerb stomp Ang'grath. Gotta keep that fluff power escalation going.

If its Cruddace then Stern will kerb stomp Ang'grath but will do so with his special rules and not fluff escalation, he will have at least 5 unique rules which differ only slightly from USRs.
    Is it?

As far as I am aware, it was Cruddace who's responsible of the "fluff-escalation" concerning Calgar's role in the War for Maccragge, first introducing Swarmy and than having Calgar walz through the Hive Fleets to punch him. Mat Ward writing about the War for Maccragge was 100% in-line with older fluff (including Calgar not taking "active" part in the actual fighting).

Slothlanathorian Lothlanathorian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zweischneid View Post
    Is it?

As far as I am aware, it was Cruddace who's responsible of the "fluff-escalation" concerning Calgar's role in the War for Maccragge, first introducing Swarmy and than having Calgar walz through the Hive Fleets to punch him. Mat Ward writing about the War for Maccragge was 100% in-line with older fluff (including Calgar not taking "active" part in the actual fighting).
    What book did you read? The Swarmlord almost kills Calgar and there is a fighting retreat as his Honor Guard drag him off.

And the fight with the Avatar was Calgar vs. Avatar down to one wound. It had been shot up and abused before Calgar got to it. That fight was the equivalent of kicking a crippled old man.
    This is a link to the Forum Rules.----------
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannimarco View Post
    Arrogant egotistical insane sadomasochists do not make good team players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    Loth loves GW. Irisado loves Chaos Eldars. Wintermute loves Firefly. Three simple truths of the Wastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothlanathorian View Post
    What book did you read? The Swarmlord almost kills Calgar and there is a fighting retreat as his Honor Guard drag him off.
    That may be so. The point is, that prior to the new Nid-Codex, i.e. going back to the Hive War supplement, etc.., Calgar didn't fight at all (hand-to-hand) in the War for Macragge, nor, of course, did the Swarmlord even exist.

I can see the rationale behind it. They introduce a new super-Nid, they need to fold it into the story, and no Nid-story is more "iconic" than Maccrage. I also think the Avatar-story in the Space Marine dex is just fine and not in any shape or form the degredation of the Eldar Avatar people make it out to be (indeed, the Avatar has rarely been described so well, not only as a monstrosity on the battlefield, but also in its battle-deciding effect on the fighting-moral of the Eldar).

But, especially concerning Maccragge, people lay blame on Mat Wards feet for "changing" their cherished fluff, which is idiotic on two accounts. First, because the change only appeared in the Nid Codex long after Mat Wards Space Marine Codex. And second, it's not necessarly a bad change; or at least, a change understandable for marketing a new Nid-beast.

Chapter Master

yay the necrons will kill several avatars! who knows maybe necrons will get twin linked meltas and flamers! or our immortals will be scoring units! woo!!! thunderfire cannos for all!!! woo!!1

on a more serious note...
    5th edition wont be so bad when all the codecies are updated. the stuff ups from 4th (eldar + chaos come to mind) just need to be rectified. While there are fluff blunders in 5th, i'd rather have that then the excuse they called some of the 4th ed codecies....
    Australia is a funny place. You see, our land animals dont run, they hop. Our birds dont fly, they run. And lastly, our swans arnt beautiful and white, no, they are beautiful and black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher View Post
    Especially if someone can stop Mat form going: "After Aeons of slumber the Necrotyr awakend to harvest the galaxy anew... but realizing they will never be Ultramarines, the Necrotyr descended into stasis once more."

Quote Originally Posted by Zweischneid View Post
    Neither was written by Ward. Not that his writing is perfect, but Ward is certainly far, far superiour to ...... and "I-totally-ignore-rules-JoTWW-and-spam-corny-descriptives" Kelly.
    Bloodstrike missiles. Skies of Blood. Bloodshard Bolts. Blood Talons. Blood Lance. No, not as bad as Phil Kelly for corny descriptives at all

Hell, the worst one is Bloodfists, a corny new name for an already existing weapon, that didn't need a new name at all. At least Wolf Claws have slightly different rules to Lightning Claws to justify their corny name

JoTWW though, I won't defend, it's a daft power that shouldn't exist, so I pretend that it doesn't and don't use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Doom of Malantai - "SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE......."

Imperial Sergeant - "Don't bother putting your helmets on men, that psychic attack will just go straight through your armour anyway. Just stick your head in the sand like me, and you're safe!"

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast