Results 1 to 20 of 285

Thread: 3 D's: Daemons & Dungeons & Dragons

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Chapter Master Brother Muninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Oregon, Mid-valley
    Posts
    1,109

    3 D's: Daemons & Dungeons & Dragons

    July 28, 2011
    This plog was originally created as a work journal for the models I painted for my Dark Sun D&D campaign. Recently though the campaign had to be shelved due to schedule restraints of my players. It happens.

    In the interim I plan to continue this plog with my work on a Chaos Daemons army, as well as some of the D&D miniatures as I finish them. Thanks for supporting all my efforts.

    ~Muninn


    February 12, 2011


    For my Dark Sun game, I've been trying to tailor minis for the game. I'm an avid model painter, so I've been doing my best to make some encounters seem more special by crafting models for some of the fights. I don't think I've ever seen a D&D project log on this forum before, but I figure'd this would be the best place for it.

    One of the first encounters I'm tossing my players into is the Tembo (as seen above), which is like the Dark Sun equivalent of the Bogeyman. A model exists, but I don't care for it. So one of the bigger parts of this project is to make a suitable Tembo mini.

    For starters, I purchased the Reaper P-65 Sabertooth for the base. It has a similar shape, and looks beefy without being a large model. I went with the high lead-content model because it's softer, and I knew I was going to have to cut away quite a bit, and lead is softer and is easier to work with.


    So far what I've done is trim away the "sideburns" and most of the areas that appear hairy. I trimmed, cut, and filed away portions below the shoulders and back so that it would appear less mammalian. There's a tuft of throat fur that I wasn't comfortable cutting away entirely, so I turned it into a waddle, like what you'd see under a chicken's throat. Another area that I left alone were the tufts of fur lining the legs. I didn't think I could trim them away and have it look presentable, so I'll just try to paint them as though they're reptilian frills.


    Next I'll drill two pins into the shoulders which will be the base for the large shoulder crests. Then I'll break out my Green Stuff to create the carapace layer. I'll try coating the upper parts of the body in a layer of green stuff, and try to create a "scale" texture with a tool I'm going to make in the next few days.


    The spikes on either side of the spinal ridge will come from bits off of Warhammer 40k Chaos vehicle sprue. They're just about the right size and shape, so it shouldn't be too hard to line them uniformly before the green stuff dries.


    After that it'll be on to basing, priming, and painting. I have about three weeks before the encounter occurs, so that should give me enough time. I'll try to update when I can, and display the work I'm doing on some of the other minis I've been prepping for the Game.

    Hope you enjoy.

    ~Muninn
    Last edited by Brother Muninn; 28-07-2011 at 21:38. Reason: Changes to the Project Log
    My Painting Blog
    My Daemon & D&D Project
    My Space Marine project: the Fire Angels

    "Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear, and ask it for a ride home, for I have clearly had too much to drink."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •