Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 D's: Daemons & Dungeons & Dragons

3 D's: Daemons & Dungeons & Dragons

July 28, 2011
    This plog was originally created as a work journal for the models I painted for my Dark Sun D&D campaign. Recently though the campaign had to be shelved due to schedule restraints of my players. It happens.

In the interim I plan to continue this plog with my work on a Chaos Daemons army, as well as some of the D&D miniatures as I finish them. Thanks for supporting all my efforts.

~Muninn

February 12, 2011

For my Dark Sun game, I've been trying to tailor minis for the game. I'm an avid model painter, so I've been doing my best to make some encounters seem more special by crafting models for some of the fights. I don't think I've ever seen a D&D project log on this forum before, but I figure'd this would be the best place for it.

One of the first encounters I'm tossing my players into is the Tembo (as seen above), which is like the Dark Sun equivalent of the Bogeyman. A model exists, but I don't care for it. So one of the bigger parts of this project is to make a suitable Tembo mini.

For starters, I purchased the Reaper P-65 Sabertooth for the base. It has a similar shape, and looks beefy without being a large model. I went with the high lead-content model because it's softer, and I knew I was going to have to cut away quite a bit, and lead is softer and is easier to work with.

So far what I've done is trim away the "sideburns" and most of the areas that appear hairy. I trimmed, cut, and filed away portions below the shoulders and back so that it would appear less mammalian. There's a tuft of throat fur that I wasn't comfortable cutting away entirely, so I turned it into a waddle, like what you'd see under a chicken's throat. Another area that I left alone were the tufts of fur lining the legs. I didn't think I could trim them away and have it look presentable, so I'll just try to paint them as though they're reptilian frills.

Next I'll drill two pins into the shoulders which will be the base for the large shoulder crests. Then I'll break out my Green Stuff to create the carapace layer. I'll try coating the upper parts of the body in a layer of green stuff, and try to create a "scale" texture with a tool I'm going to make in the next few days.

The spikes on either side of the spinal ridge will come from bits off of Warhammer 40k Chaos vehicle sprue. They're just about the right size and shape, so it shouldn't be too hard to line them uniformly before the green stuff dries.

After that it'll be on to basing, priming, and painting. I have about three weeks before the encounter occurs, so that should give me enough time. I'll try to update when I can, and display the work I'm doing on some of the other minis I've been prepping for the Game.

Hope you enjoy.

~Muninn
    Last edited by Brother Muninn; 28-07-2011 at 20:38. Reason: Changes to the Project Log
    My Painting Blog
    My Daemon & D&D Project
    My Space Marine project: the Fire Angels

"Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear, and ask it for a ride home, for I have clearly had too much to drink."

Re: D&D: Dark Sun Project Log

Great D&D setting to play in. Will be neat to see your adaptations for the monsters.
    8th Edition Record W/L/D

Warriors of Chaos: 18/9/3
    Dwarfs: 4/4/2
    Vampire Counts: 3/2/1
    Dark Angels: 0/4/0

WoC >> Thanks, I've always liked the feel of the Dark Sun world, and I've never GMed before, so I figured this would be a good fresh start for my gaming group: new game world, new GM, etc.

For the first fight, I started my players in the Gladiator Arena in Balic. Their first encounter pitted them against ravenous desert animals.

For that fight, I painted three minis. A Sail Snake (the model is the Coatl from the Reaper Warlord line)

and a duo of Horned Drakes (Felldrakes from the Chainmail series)

I tried to paint them as though they were desert reptiles, so the snake was modeled after a diamondback rattlesnake, and the drakes were patterned after Gila Monsters.

The next mini on my painting dockett is a Gladiator I'm looking forward to unleashing on my PCs.

~Muninn
    Last edited by Brother Muninn; 12-02-2011 at 04:59.
    My Painting Blog
    My Daemon & D&D Project

"Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear, and ask it for a ride home, for I have clearly had too much to drink."

Brother Sergeant

Nice work guys! I'm guilty of doing a bit of DnD modeling myself, but as I'm not the DM, I can't really do monsters. I made custom minis for all the players in my group by raiding my fantasy bitz box. I'm hoping of DMing a bit later on, and might paint up a Dark Elf War Hydra for them to face. We play Forgotten Realms 3.5E.

Really nice work on the Sail Snake and the Drakes.

Can't wait to see the Tembo!

Henge Guardian>> Thanks for your post, You hould have plenty of minis to pic from. the toughest thing I'm running into is the lac of mini that look and feel like they're from the Dark Sun world, it's kind of the niche game world. Good luck with yours though.

Some progress:

I got the pins in, but didn't have any plasticard to build a solid base for the fins, so I carved up a bit of some sprues. wasn't perfect, but it'll do.

Then I got to work on a bit of greenstuffing. I think I have the fins about as good as they'll get. The tools I crafted to make the greenstuff look like scales really didn't work out, so for now I'm going to treat them like they're leathery plates, or a shell. I'll probably end up stippling them while I'm painting to give them texture.

~Muninn
    My Painting Blog
    My Daemon & D&D Project

Littleborough, Lancashire. Hub of the Universe

This project ticks all the right boxes for me. Looking forward to seeing more

Awesome project! Do you have any pics or plans for humanoids?

I love logs like this, something a bit different. Great work so far i'll be watchin with interest.

Abraham Danglebreech>> Thanks! There should be plenty more. The first leg of my adventure will probably take a few months, so there should be plenty more where this comes from.

wearthefoxhat>> I do have several planned, including a gladiator, some undead, and other sundry models (some of which I don't have encounters for yet). I plan on updating Thursdays, since my game happens Wednesdays and I know at least one of my players skims over Warseer plogs.

deathskullork>> Thank you much. Hope you continue to enjoy.
    My Painting Blog
    My Daemon & D&D Project

Probably the first D&D log to grace Warseer, and a nice thing to see! The Sail Snake looks sick!! Dark Sun is a great setting. I played a PC game long ago based on this setting, which was really cool! Good luck on DMing, it is very satisfying to do but takes quite a bit of work.

Are you going to take pics of in-game battles?
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

The mini's are looking fantastic. How did the group like your attempt at being the DM? Hope you guys had a blast!
    8th Edition Record W/L/D

Warriors of Chaos: 18/9/3
    Dwarfs: 4/4/2
    Vampire Counts: 3/2/1
    Dark Angels: 0/4/0

WoC>> had my second session last night, and so far everything seems to be going well. They faced a group of gladiators, and a few elven brigands.

One of the big baddies I put them up against was an Elite Mul Gladiator, Here's his WIP shot.

During the game I gave him a name, Dru'ul, which looks good on paper until you pronounce it "Drool" (I immediately retconned it to be Drull, but I think "Drool the Mool" has stuck).

I got some more work done on the Tembo, and I'll post that shortly.

~Muninn
    Last edited by Brother Muninn; 19-02-2011 at 02:44.
    My Painting Blog
    My Daemon & D&D Project

I coated the back with green stuff, applied a ridge, and added the spines (I managed to drop and find three spines in the process).

This is the most green stuff I've ever worked with, so it's not as good as it could be, but I think I might be able to make up for it with my paint job.

I'm running into some issues with the nose. I've applied the green stuff a few times now and it doesn't seem to look quite right. I'm thinking about clipping off the existing nose and working up from there.

~Muninn
    Last edited by Brother Muninn; 19-02-2011 at 02:48.
    My Painting Blog
    My Daemon & D&D Project

Here're two mini's I'm working on, but don't have particular plans for yet.

My Painting Blog
    My Daemon & D&D Project

Chapter Master

Loving the plog so far. Dark Sun is a great setting and really interested to see where you go with it.

I'm liking the alterations you've done on the sabretooth and the Mul is coming along great.

If no thri-kreen shows up, I'm going to be a sad, sad man
    The Relentless, Indomitable, Unwavering march of the Death Guard.

http://counttheseven.blogspot.com/

Cool stuff here man. I really like the cat and Dru'ul in particular!

I've only played D&D once and it was fun. My local group uses loads of random minis but not as nice as these! Check out the link in my sig for my current D&D project, might be of interest.

I've got great memories of the Dark Sun video game from the 90's. Good job on your stuff!
    Without judgement
    Perception would increase a million times
    -Chuck

. Space Wolves Plog .

.;

I like the beasties.

Keravin>> Thanks for reading. I'd have to say the toughest thing creatively so far is working without metallics. There are so many buckles, bolts, nails, & chainmail it's tough not to use metal.

Earthbeard>> Don't worry, One of the PCs is a kreen. I put one of the players in charge of painting and modeling the PC minis so I should be posting those in the next few weeks.

Hadriel>> Thanks for the support. I like the map you're working on, I'll be checking up on updates.

mdiscala>> I've never played the video game. I've always just been a fan of the alternate take on D&D High Fantasy.

Purplebeard>> Thanks, there should be more in time.

I ended up cutting off the nose, and attempted to sculpt a nose closer to the one in the picture above, I also did my best to smooth over some of the rough green stuff.

I've primed the models now, and I'll begin painting tonight.

~Muninn
    My Painting Blog
    My Daemon & D&D Project

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast