- Take a file and make the "cross" pattern anywhere you damn well please.
- Take a tank brush or other brush you don't mind messing up and heavily "stipple" Beastial Brown... that is to say STAB the base repeatedly with Beastial Brown.
- Take a 50/50 mice of Beastial Brown and Snake Bite Brown and stipple base again... not the entire base though. You'll geta feel for it.
- Take pure Snake Bite Brown and stipple again.. again even less and even lighter.
- Finally do an EXTREMELY LIGHT drybrushing of Bleached Bone over the top when it's done.
- Finish it off by painting any type of glyph or rune or whatever you feel like. First paint the glyph or rune in Shadow Grey and then go over it in Bleached Bone. That's how I do it anyway.
That may help a little bit.