Page 1 of 53 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: So Grey Knights

So Grey Knights

Saw the codex today and made a list and whooped ass against Orks and space wolves.

A few notes
    1) If you hated Nob bikerz then you'll really hate Paladin terminators, they are more durable, not as fast but short of having plasmas on everything and maxing on vindicators you are going to be steam rolled by this unit, period. I ran 8 with Draigo and they took 6 wounds all game. Give them the banner and counter attack from Draigo and they turn into gods. Did I mention they are scoring with Draigo and you can making them scouting aka outflanking?

2) Rad grenades, -1 toughness to the enemy when you charge or are charged, cheap as dirt and amazing upgrade for grandmasters, and brother captains

3) Mat the hack ward must have forgotton that Sniper means its base S3 against vehicles and that with turbo penetrator rounds is S3 + 4D6 and rending so D3 extra for each 6. Oh and you have inifinite rounds so you use hellfire to wound on 2+, I was capping space wolves like no tomorrow.

Basically this is what daemons were to fantasy, this breaks 40k wide open unless you tailor against it.
    Last edited by Ravenous; 10-03-2011 at 03:14.
    Commission Painting and Airbrushing PM Me
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Re: So Grey Knights

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
    Saw the codex today and made a list and whooped ass against Orks and space wolves.

A few notes
    1) If you hated Nob bikerz then you'll really hate Paladin terminators, they are more durable, not as fast but short of having plasmas on everything and maxing on vindicators you are going to be steam rolled by this unit, period. I ran 8 with Draigo and they took 6 wounds all game. Give them the banner and counter attack from Draigo and they turn into gods.

2) Rad grenades, -1 toughness to the enemy when you charge or are charged, cheap as dirt and amazing upgrade for grandmasters, and brother captains

3) Mat the hack ward must have forgotton that Sniper means its base S3 against vehicles and that with turbo penetrator rounds is S3 + 4D6 and rending so D3 extra for each 6. Oh and you have inifinite rounds so you use hellfire to wound on 2+, I was capping space wolves like no tomorrow.

Basically this is what daemons were to fantasy, this breaks 40k wide open unless you tailor against it.
    Have you seen the leaked codex? Are the pts more or less?

Also, I inferred from the GW website that GK Strike Squads no longer have a teleporter upgrade and you just buy GK squads with teleporters as fast attack?

And what do Nemesis Daemon Hammers do?
    Maneuver to create local superiority.

Yep the preview is at GW.

Strike squads are pretty basic, they have warp quake though which is auto mishap if you pass on any unit that deepstrikes within 12"

Nemesis means force weapon, Daemon hammers Im not sure about but Daemonbane makes wounded psykers and Daemons roll an Ld test and if failed are removed from the table. PS Draigos sword is S10 Against Daemons and Psykers or units containing even 1 of them, its also Daemonbane.
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Hmm... can't wait to throw my World Eaters into battle against these fellers

Yep the preview is at GW.
    I meant the actual leaked codex. There's a lot of rumors that came out of the leaked codex, so I'm wondering if the pts and abilities and such are accurate with the preview codex or they changed a lot from the leak to the print?

Right, well its off on some stuff

DreadKnight is T and S 6 with a 5+ inv, I havent seen the leaked list but their are tweaks from what my friend with the leaked dex saw.

Quote Originally Posted by tezdal View Post
    Hmm... can't wait to throw my World Eaters into battle against these fellers
    Oh yeah and Halbreds give them +2 Ini. So you're T3 going second against S5 powerweapons with each guy getting 4 attacks from the banner and counter charge, and they all can be armed different and have 2 wounds each AND feel no pain from the apothacary.

Stick a Libby with them and they can make 30" jumps for giggles.

Basically the only thing paladins fear is Massive amounts of plasma and SS/TH termies and even then you strike first anyway so it better be a huge squad. They Nuked Mephiston before he even swings, psyk-out grenades make all daemons and psykers I1 and with Rad Grenades he would be T5, the banner also automattically casts the force weapons so one wound against Meph and he explodes.
    Last edited by Ravenous; 10-03-2011 at 03:39.

Veteran Sergeant

I looked at the book today and I'm a bit confused on the whole Coteaz-henchman troops thingy. We know they become troops but in the henchmen slot it says the unit does not take up a slot in the force organization chart. Does that mean you can have 40 squads of troops because no slots have been filled? Someone else pointed that out to me and I have a hard time arguing the point that now that they are troops they somehow ignore that sentence and do take up slots.

I love the henchmen and I would definitely play them in either way with or without the force org situation.

If they do take up a slot then you'll see plenty of people loading up on cheap stormbolters. A warrior with a SB is only 7pts
    A few squads of space monkeys in chimeras to pop tanks as well.

Ravenous is right, the codex is really hard to handle. There are just a lot of combos and the GK seem to be equipped to handle everything. On the bright side, I can see Adeptus Mechanicus lists becoming quite fun. You can literally do an all servitor army since they can become troops.

So are the points costs around the same as the older codex for PAGK?

Veteran Sergeant

don't remember. I was too busy looking at terminator army options and the space monkey/henchmen army

oh wait, they are less I believe, only a few points more than a regular spacemarine.

So with all the upgrades on that squad, nids are pretty much fubar huh? Better take 9 Zoans for the AP1...oh wait, psyker abilities...

Quote Originally Posted by tezdal View Post
    So are the points costs around the same as the older codex for PAGK?
    Cheaper, like criminally cheaper, the standard greyknights have power weapons are are 4 points more then normal marines and the terminators are the same as vanilla ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Draconis View Post
    So with all the upgrades on that squad, nids are pretty much fubar huh? Better take 9 Zoans for the AP1...oh wait, psyker abilities...
    Their psychic defense isnt that great, the aegis works only if the power targets you, and its only -1Ld.

Libbys still have psychic hoods.

They can also pants the swarm lord without breaking a sweat, especially in the vindcare drops his Inv.
    Last edited by Ravenous; 10-03-2011 at 04:03.

the AP1 weapon of the zoans are targetted....otherwise its all plasma from carnies. theres your only ap1 and 2 weapons.

and its only 12" from the fexes, which they will drop to T5 and nuke. Oh man, this codex is going to be dumb popular, especially when I can build an army for just over $200 that stomps everything.

Veteran Sergeant

can anybody figure out what the deal is with henchmen and force org slots? do they take up a slot if they are troops or not?

Banned

Great. So Ward has done to 40k what he did to 7th edition Fantasy with Daemons?

Basically, I honestly cant think of a unit that can one time paladins, psyker battle squads can do a number on them but thats it.

Ward broke 40k like he broke fantasy.

Banned

Great. Just great.

I won't start running about like chicken little 'til I've actually seen the book. That's my story.

Banned

Eh, I'm just taking Ravenous' word. If he truly did do a repeat of AB: Daemons then 40k is beyond repair until the next edition.

Basically, I honestly cant think of a unit that can one time paladins, psyker battle squads can do a number on them but thats it.

Ward broke 40k like he broke fantasy.
    Guided firedragons/wraithguard, especially if they all have halberds. But that destroys anything without amazing cover/inv saves.

Also if they don't have counter attack and a banner available, either c'tan has a good chance of winning combat vs 5, although it's risky. If they didnt all take halberds, it's a lot more favorable for the ctan, and if they fail their hammerhand and dont have rad grenades (say, draigo's squad), they'll definitely lose. Which might be a reason for pariahs, lol.
    Last edited by Sekhmet; 10-03-2011 at 04:37.

Page 1 of 53 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast