Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chinese-themed Space marine chapter

Chinese-themed Space marine chapter

Hey guy, had an idea about making a space marine chapter based on ancient Chinese design/myth/stories. Haven't properly set up the background yet but made a rough sketch yesterday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chinese sm1.jpg 
Views:	710 
Size:	270.1 KB 
ID:	109130

What do you think? More will be coming

Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Sons of Corax 2nd Company

Re: Chinese-themed Space marine chapter

Well in terms of conversions you can use the CSM helmets which have the topknots. And IDK much about chinese warriors but the i look at the sketch and I see an armoured samurai.
    My 40k/Writing/Review blog - Sons of Corax Full list of my novel, comics, and audio drama reviews - Reviews. New review on 11/8/2013 is for Death of Antagonis by David Annandale.

My current fiction projects - Dharmayoddha, an Indian-mythology inspired urban fantasy set in Mumbai, India; Hammer of Shadows - a Euro-medieval epic fantasy with knights, gladiators and ancient relics; Cloak of Secrecy - a Norse-mythology inspired space opera.

Veteran Sergeant

just a thought, how about outcast Ronin? could see the SW Lone Wolf thingies as being suitable rules, shame i cant see the rest of the codex being particularly fitting though.

werent samurai more of a Japanese thing though? (my oriental history is sadly limited to having played Legend of the 5 rings a fair bit a few years ago so dont take my word as gospel )

maybe model relic blades as katana or something??

not sure about much else, but the idea of samurai marines is very appealing

good call on the helmets there shadowhawk, hadnt really thought of that.

Don't confuse something Chinese for Japanese! You guys are not helping him!

I've seen plenty of samurai-themed marines, but never Chinese warriors, so this is kinda novel!

I would base it on the Three Kingdoms era, since that is the most recognizable. I'm trying to think if you can use any marine codex as 'count-as', but I don't really see anything fitting. I'd suggest generic Space Marine unless you can think of better chapters.

I was going to say use bits of White Scar, but those can come out a bit Mongolian (duh), and the manchu mustache can look kinda stereotyped to me. Maybe go all-helmeted, with very few White Scar bare heads? Some characters might go well using the Dark Angel robed body with some greenstuff.

Personally, I can't wait to see someone do a 40k version of Guan Yu.
    War of the Ring Fallen Realms project log: The Free Southrons
    Ex Illis project log

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble Ghost View Post
    Horrors are pink, Horrors are blue, omae wa mou shindeiru...

Quote Originally Posted by Enfid View Post
    Didn't you see Batman Begins? Ninjas clearly life in China (somewhere ominously close to Tibet as usual). Surely Samurai cannot be far away either...

Are there any long-ish bearded heads for Space Marines?

I'd have one of those, painting his face a more reddish colour.

Style power weapons after the curved swords, as the straight ones probably look too much like the current ones.

I like the idea. It's like those Roman-themed armies you see every now and then.
    Don't be so sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by ashc View Post
    Many wise words from Mannimarco.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariobarzanes View Post
    That Clown/herald of nurgle has some interesting ideas.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mannimarco View Post
    white scars need more love, the deserved a conversion sprue frame with interesting heads and weapons
    If the false emperor will man tanks with scribes and clerks then we shall fill graves with fools and hypocrites.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowhawk2008 View Post
    And IDK much about chinese warriors but the i look at the sketch and I see an armoured samurai.
    For those in the know, it's very distinctly Chinese. The helmet's crest fins are an iconic Chinese design (a samurai's helmet flaps are squared off) and often seen in Romance of the Three Kingdoms productions. The waist sash is also iconic (it's a style absent in samurai), as is the pose and the polearm (a samurai's naginata tends to be more slender and doesn't have that 'serration'). The way his robes hang is also something absent in most samurai but seen in Chinese warrior depictions. So the thread starter knows what he's doing. It's already more distinctly Asian than White Scars are.

What do you think? More will be coming
    looks solid so far. How do you plan on doing the conversions? What codex are you going to use?

If you want the heroics of the 3 Kingdoms, space wolves would fit with their sagas. Could also have space marines riding monstrous red horses. A Librarian with a goose feather fan would also be fitting imagery.

Those polearms would be great as relic blades though, and space wolves don't have access to those.

You could also consider Grey Knights if you want super heroics and lots of halberds. Twin jian and melon daemonhammers would also fit.
    Last edited by SgtTaters; 13-04-2011 at 15:08.
    Quote Originally Posted by philbrad2
    SgtTaters,
    I suggest you reduce the insinuations and 'rubbed' comments

Chapter Master AlphariusOmegon20's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zweischneid View Post
    Didn't you see Batman Begins? Ninjas clearly life in China (somewhere ominously close to Tibet as usual). Surely Samurai cannot be far away either...
    Actually, the concept and skill sets of Ninjitsu DID come from China originally, as did a lot of Japanese Martial Arts. Japan just improved on what already existed.

In China, they were originally called the Lin Kuei and they had very similar abilities to the better known and much later Japanese. The reason why very few people have ever heard of the Lin Kuei is it has not been popularized to the extent that the Japanese Ninja have been. They were Buddhist monks, similar to their Japanese counterparts. However, where the Japanese had whole Provinces that were associated with Ninja, the Lin Kuei were very isolationist and rarely associated with the outside world.

There are also heavy misconceptions about what Ninja were. They were not assassins as a whole, though they could perform that duty in a pinch, if needed, but did so rarely. They were covert spies and sometimes army scouts foremost, very similar to the American CIA, but for hire.

What you see in Batman Begins was a Lin Kuei monastery, not a Japanese Ninjitsu monastery.
    Last edited by AlphariusOmegon20; 13-04-2011 at 15:38.

Sounds like an awesome idea. What sought of colour scheme would you go for?

i'm thinking dark angel legs and torso with a top knob head could be a good basis
    If the false emperor will man tanks with scribes and clerks then we shall fill graves with fools and hypocrites.

They definitely went through my mind. Though there are only two problems sadly: 1, their swords while asian looking, is more leaning towards mongolian/steppe style that is not common in Chinese theme. Some of the eldar swords seems to be a good alternative on another note; and 2, already weld to the torso, making conversions more tricky

Quote Originally Posted by Enfid View Post

I've seen plenty of samurai-themed marines, but never Chinese warriors, so this is kinda novel!

I would base it on the Three Kingdoms era, since that is the most recognizable. I'm trying to think if you can use any marine codex as 'count-as', but I don't really see anything fitting. I'd suggest generic Space Marine unless you can think of better chapters.

I was going to say use bits of White Scar, but those can come out a bit Mongolian (duh), and the manchu mustache can look kinda stereotyped to me. Maybe go all-helmeted, with very few White Scar bare heads? Some characters might go well using the Dark Angel robed body with some greenstuff.

Personally, I can't wait to see someone do a 40k version of Guan Yu.
    I did indeed base this design upon Romance of the three kingdoms. Not the most historically accurate but I think it will fit in with w40k universe perfectly. I will also be drawing other ideas from different era/myth as three kingdoms doesn't offer enough diversity for a whole chapter (if you take off those that aren't famous).

Working on my Guan Yu design now, hopefully I will be able to post it up tonight

Quote Originally Posted by SgtTaters View Post
    For those in the know, it's very distinctly Chinese. The helmet's crest fins are an iconic Chinese design (a samurai's helmet flaps are squared off) and often seen in Romance of the Three Kingdoms productions. The waist sash is also iconic (it's a style absent in samurai), as is the pose and the polearm (a samurai's naginata tends to be more slender and doesn't have that 'serration'). The way his robes hang is also something absent in most samurai but seen in Chinese warrior depictions. So the thread starter knows what he's doing. It's already more distinctly Asian than White Scars are.

looks solid so far. How do you plan on doing the conversions? What codex are you going to use?

If you want the heroics of the 3 Kingdoms, space wolves would fit with their sagas. Could also have space marines riding monstrous red horses. A Librarian with a goose feather fan would also be fitting imagery.

Those polearms would be great as relic blades though, and space wolves don't have access to those.

You could also consider Grey Knights if you want super heroics and lots of halberds. Twin jian and melon daemonhammers would also fit.
    Cheers for the clarification SgtTaters
    Conversion-wise....think I will have to rely on green-stuff for most of them, since GW hardly has any oriental style models...I am not too sure if I can even pull it off tbh, though as of the moment doing all the concept is fun enough already :P
    I was planning to use the generic SM codex, since ancient Chinese warfare did not really stick to a particular tactic IMO, but ya I have yet to read the new grey knights codex, gona see how that looks (on a side-note, I did consider using grey knight's helberd for conversion)

Quote Originally Posted by Myrmidon616 View Post
    Sounds like an awesome idea. What sought of colour scheme would you go for?
    Good question mate, I am still pondering that myself :P any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by MagosHereticus View Post
    i'm thinking dark angel legs and torso with a top knob head could be a good basis
    Had a look at those 2 as well, sadly DA torso and legs looks too medieval for this theme IMO but it prob would be a good base to start on

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Zweischneid View Post
    Ehhhh, just give em straight Chinese swords (like the Green Destiny) and everything will be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtTaters View Post
    You could also consider Grey Knights if you want super heroics
    Now we're talking (Dynasty Warriors)

I like the OP idea a lot, its very unique, and the color options are also fairly uncommon. I'm picturing greenish over-all, lots of red as a secondary color and plenty of gold trim with small white and black detailing.

Add in lots of Chinese-dragon iconography (dragon mouth gun barrels on Devs and flamers, and dont forget the banners!) and you've got a very clearly defined theme. Hell if you built it on SW you can have some dragonish reptiles right in your army!

If you dont like the dragon theme, dont forget Tigers, or any array of animal-themed martial arts. Lol, Giant Panda terminators?
    Last edited by ShodansOwn; 13-04-2011 at 19:26.

Just a quick concept drawing of Guan Yu: (apologise for my crap photoshop skills)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chinese sm2.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	260.0 KB 
ID:	109165

Still have no idea what to use as chapter colour scheme so I left this one white for now

Awesome concept. Go for it. We've seen Samurai themed marines before, but Chinese history is a theme that seems to be largely neglected in 40k (and WHFB, despite there being a fantasy-China equivalent!)
    RSPCA - Royal Society for the Preservation of Craftworld Avatars. Put a stop to Avatar abuse. Full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortheempire View Post
    Plus what could Lorgar possibly be meditating on for 9-10 thousand years? Was he producing Guns N Roses last album?

This might be of interest when deciding on a colour scheme:

http://www.chinatownconnection.com/c...se-culture.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by ashc View Post
    Many wise words from Mannimarco.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariobarzanes View Post
    That Clown/herald of nurgle has some interesting ideas.....

This might be of interest when deciding on a colour scheme:

http://www.chinatownconnection.com/c...se-culture.htm
    Interesting article Manni, definitely will have a look! Many thanks!

Some ideas of bits to use:
    Salamanders, for the dragon iconography.
    Dark Angels robed bodies.
    Swords and Halberds from Grey Knights
    White Scars and Space Wolves for heads.
    "As I've always said, Wes is wise." - Scryer in the Darkness
    "Wes, if you keep this up you'll need to change your name to MajorWiseJanson." - Azzy
    "Many boffins died to bring us this information." - Forgeworld Announcement E-mail
    "Rest assured, Servitor 13 has your best interests at heart. Now let's fire up the lascannons." - GW changes their web privacy policy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast