I played in a local Indy GT this last weekend. I had really barely played any 8th edition at all until recently. I played like 6 or 7 games. 1 of those was a turn 1 loss, so not sure if you can count that. I went 4-3 or 4-2 depending on how you looked at it.
So with that little bit of playtesting, I went into the bash, hoping to at least not get shut out. So far in this indy GT I was 2-8 with greenskins and 2-1-2 with Dark Elves.
The rules for the tourney were no power scroll and no special/named characters. Comp was judge banded, 0pts for hard lists, 5 for medium and 10 for soft. I got a 5 for medium.
We did all scenarios from the book except battle for the pass which it seemed obvious that there was not enough space to do properly.
In addition there was 5 objective cards, you chose one before the game started and could earn +2 battle points for achieving your objective.
Battle points were: 15pts for a win, 10pts for a draw and 5pts for a loss.
You also got +1 pt for getting 500vps from the enemy, +2 for 1000 and +3 if you got 1500 or more.
So you could say lose, but if you killed 1500pts in vps from the enemy and got your objective accomplished, you would have 10 battle points from the game.
There was also max 30pts for painting and 32pts for sportsmanship for a max overall of 172.
Ok with all that said, here was my army list:
1. General: Graulz, Orc warlord
Lt. armor, great weapon
4+ ward talisman, glittering scales and ironcurse icon
2. Braun: Orc BSB
Shield and armor of destiny
3. Torgo: Orc Shaman lvl 2
4. Kemp-Fana: Savage Orc Shaman lvl 2
5. 45 Orcs w/shields and Full command
6. 34 Savage orc Bigíuns w/2 choppas and Full Command
7. 96 Night goblins w/shields and Standard/Musician
Nets and 2 Fanatics
8. 5 spider-riders: 65pts.
9. 6 Common Trolls: 210pts.
10. 2 spear chukkas: 35pts. Each.
11. 2 mangler squigs: 65pts each.
12. 2 pump wagons: 45pts each.
13. Doom Diver: 80pts.
14. Rock Lobba: 85pts.
Hereís a pic of my entire army in front of the Orc Fort that I made for the tourney.
First game was vs Wood elves with the scenario, Dawn Attack.
Hereís a pic after set up.
You can see that my orcs w/general got separated from my trolls and night gobos who needed his ld the most.
Iím going to try and do brief synopsis reports with some pics. I often forgot to take them, plus I had some come out badly since I apparently had it set to low light for some reason.
I won roll to go first. My objective was to keep my most expensive non-character unit above half strength by the end of the game.
Greenskins turn 1:
1. Failed animosity for my spiders. did pass stupidity for the trolls.
2. Magic was so low and with just the savage, I donít think I managed anything.
3. In shooting, a chukka killed his bsb outright.
Wood elf turn 1:
1. His shooting killed a couple of night gobos and did 2 wounds to my trolls. He forgot and show a regular unit at the trolls first before the firebanner guard shot. Hail of doom arrow also killed 3 or so orcs.
Pic after turn 1:
Greenskins turn 2:
1. Failed animosity from the orcs and spiders. The spiders were forced to charge a unit of dryads and failed the charge.
And failed stupidity for the trolls.
I tested to not charge my orcs at his waywatchers since I didnít want them off on their own without the support of the orcs next turn, since I was sure they would flee and then Iíd get hit by multiple units in his turn.
I did around 5 wounds to his treekin from chukka and doom diver fire.
2. Wood elves turn 2.
Wood elf fire now killed 2 trolls, they panicked and fled.
His characters also killed a few orcs with magical bowfire.
3. Greenskin turn 3.
My night goblins failed animosity but rolled a 6 so moved up more into the woods. I canít even remember what kind of mysterious terrain it turned out to be. Maybe the cause fear one or something.
My savages failed animosity and were forced to charge his waywatchers, but it was a failed charge, which was lucky with my mangler sitting right there.
I charged the night gobos at his dryads.
My trolls actually rallied.
In magic, I used hand of gork to lift my orcs over the river to avoid more dangerous terrain tests since it was a raging torrent.
In combat, my night gobos routed his dryads and ran them down. They pursued into a unit of glade guard.
Wood elves turn 3:
1. With a mangler in front of his sorc lordís glade guard unit, he couldnít just shoot at my trolls again. So first he shot his 10 strong unit at the mangler, but only did 2 wounds. So he had to waste his fire banner unit at the mangler as well. He did kill it, but it was a round he wasnít shooting at the trolls.
He charged his treekin and a hero kindred at my orcs. And his other dryads at my wagon.
2. My night gobbos passed fear this time(they had failed vs the dryads) even on ld5. So even without my general I was making ld4 and 5 checks for these 2 units.
He killed 3 or so night gobbos, but I killed around 7 or 8. I had expected the night gobbos to be flanked charged by that other small guard unit, but I guess he was more worried about the mangler. It might have been worth the risk to attack the night gobbos, use the lordís unit exclusively on the mangler and then just worry about the trolls later, who were so far away and ld4 for stupidity, that they were not a big threat to the lordís unit.
Anyway, that guard broke and fled, but outran the night gobbos. My wagon was destroyed, he overran to m spiders, who fled.
In the other fight, my lord challenged and his hero accepted. He did a wound to me, but I only did a wound back to him. He killed a few orcs, but I killed 2 treekin. The treekin broke, but the hero held his ground.
I forgot to take pics after this point, since we were now trying to rush to finish the game in time.
Greenskin turn 4:
Trolls failed stupidity.
My savages tested to not charge, since the mangler was right in front of them.
My night gobbos charged the fleeing guard unit and pursued them off the table.
Spiders fled off the table.
My mangler went through the waywatchers, treemen and treekin. I wiped out the watchers, did nothing to the treemen and finished off one more treekin.
My shooting did a couple of wounds to his kindred lord.
I didnít hurt his hero in combat and he didnít hurt me, but he did break and run this time. I didnít catch him.
Wood elf turn 4.
1. He charged his treeman at my orcs. He rallied his hero, but his treekin kept fleeing.
2. His shooting wiped out my trolls. Magic killed about 5 or 6 savages. I think he was using dwellerís below or something like that.
3. His treekin focused on my lord cause his objective was to kill my general. He did nothing, but I did 1 wound to him total with all my attacks. He held.
Greenskins turn 5:
1. My savages failed animosity and failed their charge they were forced to make. My mangler went flying off toward the right side of the table.
2. I was concentrating what magic I had(we rolled really low all game and magic paid almost no part in the game) and shooting on killing his lord who had one wound left.
I hit him with a chukka and rolled a 1 to wound and hit him dead on with my doom diver but rolled a1 for hits and a 1 to wound. The lobba then misfired and I rolled another 1, so it destroyed itself. Sigh.
3. He wounded my general one more time and I did a wound in return, he held again.
Wood elf turn 5:
1. He charged his eagle at my doom diver. Moved his guard units away from my night gobbos and rallied his treekin.
2. Dwellers this time killed about 9 savages, which was enough to bring them below half strength, ugh.
3. He wasnít able to kill my general and I wasnít able to kill the treeman. His eagle then wiped broke my doom diver crew.
We had to add up the scores since we only had about 5 minutes left and they gave us a bonus sports point for turning your card in before time was called.
When we added it up he was up by 46pts. So a draw. The last turn letting him get my diver and lobba took him from losing to almost winning with these crappy new vp rules. Which would have been stupid, cause this battle was clearly a draw.
The two things I wish I had done differently was just for one, tested my general and bsb separate from the orc unit for dawn attack, to try and get one of them close to the trolls and night gobbos. And 2nd been more aggressive with the savages. I just had a mangler stuck in front of them for a long time.
Wood elves: 595
Battle points: 11 for each of us.
Next will be Game 2 which was Watchtower vs Lizzies.