Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Got You Into Gaming?

Veteran Sergeant

What Got You Into Gaming?

I made a thought provoking video to ask everyone what got them into the gaming they now play. It could be RPG, consoles, tabletop minis, cards or anything.

I cast my mind back and realised that while Bloodbowl was my first game that got me into warhammer, my love of gaming came from much earlier sources. This video explains.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxhVHnsauT4

I now invite you to tell me on there or here if you don't have a YouTube account (or both) what got YOU into gaming? Let's see how many common sources we share, regardless of country we live in.

Re: What Got You Into Gaming?

Initially it was a friend from school. He role-played with older relatives, and brought some of his AD&D books in.

Then another friend started bringing in his older brother's White Dwarf mags. Yeah, we huddled around WD as teens instead of Playboys

The rest is history.
    On the back of my bike at 180km/h you can be screaming your silly head off and all Iím gonna hear is the wind and my own barking demons.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    NCK technically counts as one of the Old Ones.

My dad brought home a PS1 with a Jackie Chan game, and some sort of fishing game when I was very young (3-5?)
    It all sorta snowballed from there...
    Not sure what got me into other forms of gaming though, its all so long ago now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzooky View Post
    I'm picturing something along the lines of Swarmlord-meets-Ron-Weasley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubonic Chronic View Post
    Dyson? as in the vacuum cleaner? I knew they were good but being able to suck up a star god?

Fighting Fantasy and Lone Wolf. My parents were never very keen on computer games so the first brush I had with that kind of stuff was the old 'choose your own adventure' books.

This then led into RPG's via the FF RPG book which was released. Around the same time my parents decided it was OK for me to have a games system and I got into Titan Legion/Epic about a year later (which then led to Warhammer and Warhammer 40K).

I never really got into the whole 'Geek' thing until I started doing my GCSE's. My parents used to live in the Lake District and I spent most of my time outdoors with my mates or the scouts/cadets. It was only when we moved and I lost my entire circle of friends that I started playing more video games and the like. Most of the new friends I made played video games and spent most time hanging around in front of the TV/computer.

Kahadras
    For it is in passing that we achieve immortality. Through this, we become a paragon of virtue and glory to rise above all. Infinite in distance and unbound by death, I release your soul, and by my shoulder, protect thee.

Secondary school. A couple of friends where talking about an 'emperor' and an 'imperium' and it just lodged in my brain when they told me more. 40k led to roleplaying eventually, which these days I like more than wargaming.

I had a few earlier brushes with it. I remember reading the background for bjorn the fell handed in the space wolves second ed codex and thinking it was the coolest thing in the world. Not for the cool robot with claws and minigun, which was actually rather secondary, but for the idea of an eternal warrior that sleeps for aeons and in only roused by his devoted followers to fight in their defense. It was so awesomely primal, legendary even. . .and recently I have been told that you can play a dreadnought in the deathwatch game. So its all kind of come full circle.
    In Service to Xana!
    An Adeptus Mechanicus log with a decidely evil feel: updated 15/6/10!!

There are no wolves on Fenris

(Now wears a dressing gown)

Banned

Living in the country, at least 3 hours from civilisation meant that we had a fairly close-knit group. We began reading a WD that one of us brought to school and then decided to each choose an army.

I had DA, while my mates each took, CSM, Orks, Nids, Eldar, IG

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkagor View Post
    . . .and recently I have been told that you can play a dreadnought in the deathwatch game. So its all kind of come full circle.
    You certainly can, I have the book in front of me - Rites of Battle. It looks pretty awesome - I love what FFG have done with this setting, I doubt it could be much better.
    On the back of my bike at 180km/h you can be screaming your silly head off and all Iím gonna hear is the wind and my own barking demons.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    NCK technically counts as one of the Old Ones.

I'm pretty sure it was a mixture of things. One, as already stated, was the fighting fantasy books. There were always a few in the school library, and I used to fish dice out of board games and sit at my dining room table with pen and paper handy.

Second, I was in ASDA (UK WalMart for those who don't know) one time at Christmas and noticed a starter set to AD&D; came with four wee figures, four pre-set adventures and four giant fold out maps. I mentioned it to my parents, and they purchased it as a christmas present for me.
    Well, I loved it; between me, my cousin and my brother we played it constantly. We weren't quite old enough to understand certain points, we'd fudge rolls to benefit ourselves and used to make puny 1st level characters attempt to storm orc forts to aid Gnomish freedom fighters (when I think back now all I can say is, WTF?) without thinking about levelling them up at all. I must say, though, that I also created a fantastic though unlikely story involving double-crossing space hippos, city watch lizardmen and an ogre who took exception to the PCs and wouldn't leave them alone.

That had my interest peaked in gaming, so when I got to know people in high school who liked something called Warhammer, well...
    2nd Edition Background: The ONLY Background

"Imagine fear is a wall of fire. A brave man is not a blind man, who cannot see the flames. A truly brave man walks through the fire and emerges stronger, with his spirit tempered by the courage of his action."

Blood Angels Sergeant Laertes, Harbinger of Despair, 736.M41

Veteran Sergeant

That's some great replies so far guys! I'm going to take all of the video replies I get on YouTube as well as the links to all the forums I've put this on and put them together in one place at my blog soon. It will be called 'Project Collective Gateway'.
    Then I will post a link to this at every place I asked the question, therefore letting all of you access everyone else's replies too.
    I figured it would be a cool way of taking things even further. People love to talk about their love for their hobbies and that all started somewhere. The very somewhere we'll compile into a global mass tale.

I lived next door to Gary Morley's sons.

I went round for dinner post befriending them (as you do), they happened to be playing Epic (back when it was cool, too far back in fact for me to admit freely ) and they flapped a copy of the current White Dwarf at me after I asked them what they were doing.

It was the edition with the old High Elf picture, sword warrior, Teclis clone, striking red dragon.

A week later I was hand bagging around Ulthuan and never looked back!

My one claim to fame that doesn't involve the cast of Pobl Y Cym

I got pulled in through heroquest to begin with (even though I didn't know the connection at the time), and then into 40k when my cousin inlaw needed someone to play against.
    The only cure known for the dreaded illnes of Ruleslawyeritus is a swift dosage of punchinthefaceicilin. -Tapok
    The 7 Habits of Effective Gamers: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232493
    The ONLY reason i joined this forum was to join Malorians arenas. - teafloy_the_damned
    Join the Arena of Death!: http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
    Me on Youtube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMalorian?feature=mhum

I got into wargaming by my oldest brother, sadly he passed away 10 years ago, but hes the one who got me into it at the age of 4(!) been playing ever since. Not only was my forst battle against him but he also was my mentor in painting.

Made a promise to keep playing and intend to keep that one

I got into playing RPGs about sometime last year but before that I dismissed them as being far too geeky and boring. Well for one I certainly regret not joining in with the rest of the group when they were playing things like Dark heresy, rouge trader, shadowrun, pathfinder ect as I now know just how fun these games can be and they can be really fun even when your having bad luck.

THE LOST WORLD FACEBOOK TWITTER

Reptiles, amphibians and creepy stuff

I've always been a creative spirit, and thus anything dealing with imagination, a.k.a games, video games, books, novels, art, attracted my attention.

My uncle works for Microsoft, and worked on games such as Halo 2, Gears 2, MWF(#1), and other projects of the like. Thus he got me into gaming at an early age before any of these had even come out. Now, as you can imagine, my parents being actual respinsible paretns, wouldn't let me play the M rated games that everyone craves.

Thus I picked up model building, which had been a hobby due to my love of WWII. So first was 40k, then D&D, followed by many more. Thus I became a gamer; but it wasn't until 3 years ago i dsicovered Dakka Dakka, which lead me to Heresy-Oniline, which lead me to here, the great Warseer.

My family always played games. Board games and card games, and the like. Then I had to read the Hobbit when I was in 6th grade. About this point in time, a friend of mine brought his D&D books to school. I asked him what it was, and he said it's like the Hobbit, only you can make your character do whatever you want. I gave it a try and loved it. THen I tried pretty much every game that came my way in the following years.
    A good friend will be there to calm you down when you are mad, but a best friend will be holding a shovel asking"Do you think the hole is deep enough?"

I got into it, because friends from school were in it (late Primary School), and kept going after they found that it had 'got gay' and expensive, and left the hobby, leaving me with the impression that none of them were into, or would even comprehend, anything remotely geeky. Then I spent some years searching for opponents, found them more or less at a nearby GW, and heard of little things like Dungeons and Dragons; but no one I knew played that, so I came to the conclusion that SATT games etc were all tiny, tiny niche things, which were nigh on impossible to organise anyway. (Such was my experience with warhammer, at any rate.) Now that I'm at university, I'm not fully disabused of this notion; a fair few players, but still, despite the club and everything, damn hard to organise.
    Now just doing Battle Reports.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191378 for the Red Guards

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196677 for my Imperial Guard.)

"this is the best 40k stuff I have ever read." (Carltmc)

Hmm for me it was at school - infinitely more interesting to do in the lucnhc break than study for an impending class-test :O)

I blame Tolkienn....Tolkienn or Doom.
    After reading Tolkienn & watching Conan as a young child (18 rating?! Man the stink I put up to watch that film when I was a kid. Conan, Terminator, and Commando....), watching the animated Hobbit film (think it was a channel 4 production) my uncle brings out the HeroQuest box....and that was that....
    Video games kicked in there somewhere with Doom on the PC, and then the Amiga, however I never became a video gamer like I am now till the ps2 with Dynasty Warriors or the PC with Postal.....Baldurs Gate too but I've spent more hours on Postal 2.
    No-one in my school that I knew of actually did anything geeky other than Ultima Online, so it never really got anywhere til I hit 16 in '02.
    That's when I sat in for a mate in D&D.....and that opened up that can of worms.
    Been playing at least 1 game each year since, although we need a new DM that doesn't love the sound of his own voice. And that isn't afraid of killing of players....heh....
    40k however, I got into it through the Deathwatch rpg.
    Quote Originally Posted by spetswalshe View Post
    I really don't think secret weapons tests in Northern Ireland are actually less likely than alien visitation.
    Cat - "Is that what I think it is...?"
    Lister - "What do you think it is...?"
    Cat - "An orange whirly thing in space!"

Scout

I think the thing that got me most into gaming was playing Zelda Orcarina of Time. Super Mario Bros started me on the track but Zelda introduced me to such a vivid and real world that I couldnt help but be entranced.

Ive gotten that feeling from only a few games over the years. The original Mage Knight set was amazing and so fun.. I even won my second tournament I entered (Which incidentally was a series of battles played all across North America to decide how the world developed.)

And I got that feeling when a friend of mine pushed me to get some Warhammer Fantasy so he had a nerd friend. It has gotten way too crazy since them (unfinished models EVERYWHERE!)

Veteran Sergeant

Project Collective Gateway has come about!

I collected together the URL's of all places I asked this question, bringing them together in an article on my blog alongside actual video responses on the topic from YouTube.

I am now letting each website and video page know the link to the blog post where all of you can get access to everyone else's back story of how you got into gaming, thus bringing together more people than I would have been able to otherwise.

Enjoy!

Here's the link to my blog compilation for this subject -

http://robert-james-freemantle.blogs...w-you-got.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast