Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Something old, something new, something borrowed, something orange?

Littleborough, Lancashire. Hub of the Universe

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something orange?

Hello,

I finally made a start on painting the AoBR set last year and managed to finish the Orks last month.

Took me EIGHT MONTHS! Now it's time to get the marines done. Kind hoping I can get these painted a little quicker. I had my first game of 40k a couple of months ago down at GW Manchester. Really enjoyed it.

I have a friend that lives across the road from me that would like to get into 40k. Originally he was going to paint the Marines but this hasn't quite worked out, so here I am. Rather than playing my painted Orks vs unpainted grey plastic I have decided to paint them myself.

I have had an interest in 40k ever since Rogue Trader came out and though I have never played it I have a small collection of models to add to those from AoBR. Some painted, some primed, some simply glued together. All need redoing!

So, my collection so far:

This is far as I have got with the AoBR dudes. Just trimming off the mould lines for an hour in the evening through the week

An old Command unit with two veteran sergeants caked in black primer with mould lines still attached. Power Spray and tooth brush at the ready!

The Marines out of the 3rd Ed 40k boxset. Not so much caked in paint as caked in glue!

Terminators from when I played Space Hulk 1st edition. These are caked in paint AND glue. Also, the only Genestealers I have left (I gave almost all my stuff away years ago) AND an Imperial Guard bloke when Rogue Trader was out. I think this guy may have belonged to a cannon

Finally, 4 (from 5) marines from a Citadel paint set

Obviously all the paint (and glue if possible) is going to be stripped and then the mould lines removed so I can start the old ones from scratch. I like to think my painting has improved since I first painted them so it will be good to see if I can bring them up to date. I don't want to go over the top with these though, just need to find an effective and quicker process.

For now though I shall be concentrating on AoBR. Colour wise I'm quite drawn to Orange and seeing these by ewar has made me more inclined to go down the path of zesty glory. At least I think ewar's Mymidons look great.

Probably won't be an update now until I either get some painting done, which should probablt start in a couple of weeks. A photo of stripped minis might appear before then.

Anyway, that's it. Apologies for waffle. Thought posting this might encourage me to pick up the pace a little.

Thanks for looking!

AD

Re: Something old, something new, something borrowed, something orange?

Have to say, those Orks are certainly amazing, i'm not normally a big fan of orange, but i'm certainly looking forward to seeing how these turn out.

woow. Now I want to buy an assault on Black reach set, just to paint it, even though I already play marines...
    "Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!"

Check out my painting blog: miniatureramblings.blogspot.com

Those 4 space marines from the old citadel paint set remind me of my five space marines from a old paint set that was probably from the same time.. Though mine had a missile launcher guy and not a guy with a flamer(?). And strangely I remember that the box said that there should be a sergeant and not the missile guy..
    Well anyways looks great! I like the blue theme the Orks have.
    Keep up the great work!

swifty2: thank you very much

101st Vostroyan: do it

AguaToss: Cheers. Yup, pretty sure it said that on the paint set I bought too. I actually found the 5th. All stripped and ready...

Hello again. So maybe my estimation for a two week start time was a bit off. 2 months! Should be a builder. I ended up spending more time on my mutants instead.

Anyway, the extra time allowed me to think a bit more about the colour scheme. Orange is still in there but I wanted to break it up a little. I was sure I had seen a picture online of some marines with a dark grey/light grey/orange scheme but I couldn't find it. At first I thought I had mixed up seeing these with these and that my mind had jumbled them up into one.

It was while making a list of paints I thought I needed that I finally realised what the colour scheme was.......

MY ZAMBERLANS!

With those colours in mind I experimented using the Bolter and Chainsword Space Marine Painter and finally settled on this:

I picked up some paints yesterday and today I painted my first Marine:

First one I have painted since about 1990ish. I think I went a bit overboard on the battle damage but by looking at the different angles you should be able to make out how a clean one will turn out. I don't want to spend as much time on these as i did on my Orks so they probably won't appear as finished. I reckon he's not that bad though.

Oh yes, that two months gave me a chance to come up with a name for the Chapter:

The Flow of Azoth

The Chapter symbol is a teardrop of blue liquid. It has absolutely nothing to do with the SpaceHulk Blood Angels Terminators I now have that need painting up in my own colours

Chapter Master

I love the extreme battle damage on the guy's right shoulder pad. The chapter looks good, can't wait to see more.

Unusual scheme but looks terrific. I actually like the extensive battle damage/wear, very inkeeping with your Orks, looks like they've been ingrossed in battle for years!!

Brother Alexos & Mega Nutz, thank you very much! Seeing as you both reckon the battle Damage is a good thing I decided I would make this a theme with the rest of them. I have toned it down a little but have upped the dirtiness and had a crack at experimenting with a dried mud/dusty effect.

These chaps have been stood on my desk half done for about two months and I finally got around to finishing them off this afternoon:

And all four with the one I did earlier:

The delay in progress was due to me signing up for the Tale of Terrain Builders after having got myself a Realm of Battle. This coincided with trying to get an Armies on Parade entry done within a month and also work on a Beast of Nurgle conversion for my WFRP mutant project. Oh, and I also painted an Ork Trukk too. I know that doesn't sound like loads but I'm usually very slow at getting stuff done.

ANYWAY, enough waffle. I now MUST get the AoBR Marines done within a month as I have arranged a game on the 22nd October with a few chums, when we will be christening my RoB with my Orks vs these dudes, whilst learning how to play 40k (I'm the only one with experience having played one whole game ).

The plan is to get the next five AoBR Marines out of the way, followed by the Captain, Terminators and then the Dreadnought. On top of that I'm fitting new lighting in the room we'll be gaming in and also picking up a new table to play on.

Oh what nerdsome joy.

Thanks for looking and have a great week folks,

AD

Really like the scheme. nicely done

This is a rather lovely colourscheme. The quartered helmet makes for a good focusing point, and limiting the lighter parts to the upper body makes the whole figure "pop", as it were. Jolly good job.
    My blog, mostly about films...

An alternate name for Flesh Hounds? Khornedogs!

Your painting ability is very good but I have to admit to not being a huge fan of the colour scheme. The upper part (shoulders, helmet, chest) looks really good but the grey on everything else just seems a little dull and washed out - next to the brighter colours it looks almost unfinished.

Perhaps brighten up the blue sections (the kneepads, backpack vents, hands etc) a little so they stand out against the grey? By the same token it feels like the lighter blue on the helmet should be toned down to match it. I'd also paint the bolter a different colour but thats probably a personal preference.

That probably came across as more critical than I'd liked. I really like the use of orange and the quartered helmet is a cool idea I've not seen done before. The battle damage is also very well executed though you may have gone a little overboard with it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Byron View Post
    I'd have to say that I hate the Ogre Kingdoms Scraplauncher the most. Not because it's ugly, but because you need to have a masters degree in civil engineering, four hands, and the patience of Ghandi to put one together evenly...
    My Fantasy Project Log
    My Sci-Fi Project Log

nice paint scheme. Just waighting to be stoling

First squad looks brilliant! Can't wait to see your take on a battle damaged dreadnought!
    Last edited by Mega Nutz; 29-09-2011 at 16:58.

Tave: Cheers. Glad you like it

Hideous Loon: Jolly decent of you to say old fruit

MalusCalibur: I'm hearing you. The bottom part is a bit slapdash. I started off using the Shadow Grey as a highlight but liked the colour that much I ended up placing it on the armour in patches, covering whole sections rather than just lining. I looked at it again after reading your observation and took a slightly different approach with the next batch (equally messy ). Don't have any worries about giving criticism mate, I appreciate it. It's good for me to look at things from a different perspective and expand

igneous: stol away my friend (snigger)

Mega Nutz: Cheers bud. I'm looking forward to painting it. Terminators first, then the Dread.

I had hoped to have painted Marines 6 to 10 done by last weekend. I finally got them done Thursday night and based Friday evening. My timetable is already behind. Supposed to have 5 Terminators done by tomorrow! We'll see. In the meantime here is the next bunch:

All five together:

And all of them so far:

RUN AWAY!!!!

Not entirely convinced by them, but when I finally get around to painting beyond the AoBR bunch I hope to have it sussed.

Terminators next. I'll be using the same colours but in a different arrangement.

Thanks for looking and have a great weekend!

AD

They look a lot better now. I'd still be an advocate of making the blue on the helmet the darker shade as on the other parts of the armour, though, as it would 'tie in' better.

However, more importantly than that, the models feel that they're lacking a bit of depth, and I think a wash of Badab Black or Devlan Mud would really make them 'pop'.

The execution of what you've done so far is really good though, and the weathering is very, very impressive. I'd be really interested in seeing an army of these fellows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Byron View Post
    I'd have to say that I hate the Ogre Kingdoms Scraplauncher the most. Not because it's ugly, but because you need to have a masters degree in civil engineering, four hands, and the patience of Ghandi to put one together evenly...
    My Fantasy Project Log
    My Sci-Fi Project Log

^ I agree a wash could do wonders but they are fantastic and the weathering is better Imo well done. The chapter colors are beautiful. You did a fantastic job my friend!
    And on a side note the sgt. Face really caught me off guard! But you made it look spectacular (reminds me of mr. Creepy on creepios)
    FOR THE GLORY OF DORN, AND THE GLORY OF TERRA!
    GEARHART
    Imperial fists apocalypse log
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312080
    facebook if interested:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00000074234592
    photobucket http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k520/GEARHART21/

MalusCalibur: Cheers. I'm off the Tacticals now for a while, just ploughing through AoBR. Eventually I hope to get to the older models in my collection, so in the meantime I'll have a think about maybe adjusting the scheme slightly for the next bunch. I like the light blue on the helmet, but you never know. Thanks for the tips, much appreciated

Gearhart: CREEPIOS! I googled, I chortled. He IS the creepy bloke on that box of Creepios. Glad you like them. I think the lack of depth could be a result of using the flash on my camera. I spent AGES yesterday morning trying to get some outdoor pics for that very reason. Not many decent pics but this one came out ok:

No chance of getting the Terminators finished today. However, here is some WiP:

First time I have gone for the layered lines highlighting approach on such blockish miniatures. Pretty laborious stuff huh? I have new respect for all those Dark Eldar painters. And a thought about the models: I LOVE painting Orks and Mutants: so organic, but these things have far too many straight lines for my liking.

Weathering them will be so sweet

If I make progress tonight worthy of a picture I'll post soon, if not, it'll probably be midweek.

Thanks for looking and have a great week folks,

AD

nice work ab, though the sergeants flesh could do with some work.

-skrall

G.Hawke: Thank you sir. I quite like the Sergeant's skin, but now you come to mention it, I can see that the red around one of his eyes has gone a bit wayward. His skin is supposed to look like one of my mutants:

One shameless plug of my Mutant plog later........ some progress:

I have a sneaky feeling these are going to take even longer than the 10 marines. After this I still have to do the Captain and Dread. Oh yes, and some craters for this month's Tale of Terrain Builders. What are the chances I'll get them all done in time for my game on the 22nd?

Cheerio!

AD

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Danglebreech View Post
    G.Hawke: Thank you sir. I quite like the Sergeant's skin, but now you come to mention it, I can see that the red around one of his eyes has gone a bit wayward. His skin is supposed to look like one of my mutants:
    Yeah atm he's less albino/general redish skin, more ill/facepaint attack. Your mutant has it down, your sgt's a little OTT with it.

-skrall

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast