Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kislev list for KoW

Kislev list for KoW

Just something I wrote up this afternoon: a KoW representation of the old White Dwarf Kislev allied contingent.

I'm working on a few other ideas, and one of them involves summoning units. Tzarina Katarin's ability to create immobile barriers can be considered a test case.

Edit:
    (10-05-2011) Fixed Horse Archer points cost, added Tzar on Great Bear.
    (03-06-2011) Horse Archers reduced by 5/10 points.
    (25-09-2011) Version 2.0 posted, compatible with new Nerve system. Nerve stats on non-elite units reduced by 1, with associated point reductions.
    (26-09-2011) Added rules for null stats.
    (09-10-2011) Version 2.1 added, points and formatting brought in line with the new rules, added War Wagon.
    (10-10-2011) Typo for Glacial Barrier Def stat fixed.
    Last edited by AlexHolker; 09-10-2011 at 22:27.

Re: Kislev list for KoW

Snazzy!

Now that I have list support (official or otherwise) for every miniature army I own, I should really get to playing some Kings of War. If only real life were less intrusive...
    I have a blog!

Added to the compilation list.

Not had a chance to read it yet...but I will do! What WD was it originally in?
    It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... and then it's just fun!

Really nice list for one of my favourite Warhammer armies.

2 things though, first the horse archer regiment cost more than twice what a troop costs, when most bigger units cost a shade under double.
    Second, you really must add in an option for a Bear mount for a general!

Chapter Master

I second the request for a general on bear!
    Mantic Fanatic

Wargamer's Pledge 2011: Final Score 106 Painted / 28 Bought
    Wargamer's Pledge 2012: 2 Painted / 0 Bought

Quote Originally Posted by George Bernard Shaw
    You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing

I've posted an updated list, with the price for the Horse Archers changed and a Tzar on Great Bear added.

I'm considering adding a "Regimental Mascot" upgrade for the Kossars (and Tzar) that lets them get some form of attacks against charging units. This could either represent the Kossars' Steady in the Ranks rule and Boris's Armour of Ursun, or simply having an angry bear mauling people. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by mattjgilbert View Post
    What WD was it originally in?
    The rules were in White Dwarf 286 and 287.

Thanks for adding this to your list. Would you have any objections to doing the same for my Siegecraft rules?
    Last edited by AlexHolker; 10-05-2011 at 02:41.

Of course I can (can't believe I forgot!) - to add to my shame I've not read those either

I will rectify this.

EDIT: list updated
    Last edited by mattjgilbert; 10-05-2011 at 10:43.

OK, I couldn't find the original lists in my WDs with those numbers... you meant the UK edition of WD?

So if I had the list some of my questions might be answered but here they are anyway:

1. Not sure why Kossats get crushing strength?
    2. Only the Ungol (light) cavalry should have Sp9 - all the others should be Sp8 I think.
    3. It might be worth dropping the Ungol points, just by 5 maybe - they are currently the same as revenant cavalry but with less attacks and easier to kill.
    4. I'm not sure why Tzarina Katarin has crushing strength (3)?
    5. The tzar on the bear with Ne 9 and 7 crushing strength(3) attacks seems undercosted at 185.
    6. How does a unit occupy a building and what are the benefits of doing so?

Great Weapons.

Can't help you with the other questions, sorry.
    I have a blog!

They're armed with bows and two-handed axes.

2. Only the Ungol (light) cavalry should have Sp9 - all the others should be Sp8 I think.
    I would prefer to keep them as Sp9, so that there's more of a difference between the barded Empire Knights and unbarded Kislev cavalry.

3. It might be worth dropping the Ungol points, just by 5 maybe - they are currently the same as revenant cavalry but with less attacks and easier to kill.
    Done.

4. I'm not sure why Tzarina Katarin has crushing strength (3)?
    It's to represent the magic item, Fearfrost. Since Katarin only has Me 5+ and At 2, it's mainly there to add flavour.

5. The tzar on the bear with Ne 9 and 7 crushing strength(3) attacks seems undercosted at 185.
    I based the cost on the Krudger on Slasher, which has has Ne 8 and 10 Crushing Strength (3) attacks for 175.

6. How does a unit occupy a building and what are the benefits of doing so?
    The Structure rule is taken from my Siegecraft rules. Rather than have two contradictory versions of the same rule, I included that reference to Bastions and Emplacements in the Kislev version.

Anything I should change before I post up the next version?
    Last edited by AlexHolker; 15-05-2011 at 04:30.

I think the barding could just be reflected in De.

So heavy knights and barding = De 5 vs your De 4. Then the Sp drop is fine.

I think the barding could just be reflected in De.

So heavy knights and barding = De 5 vs your De 4. Then the Sp drop is fine.
    I'm not dropping the Kislev cavalry's speed. It might hinder the rider's mobility in the saddle (hence losing Nimble), but even full plate armour might only add 20 kilos to the weight of the rider. Plus, my way both medium and heavy cavalry have their advantages.

For the record, this is how I'd rate various types of horse-riding cavalry:

Light cavalry (horse archers): Sp 9 Nimble, De 3+
    Medium cavalry (kossars): Sp 9, De 4+
    Heavy cavalry w/superior materials (stormwind cavalry): Sp 9, De 5+
    Heavy cavalry (human knights): Sp 8, De 5+
    Superheavy cavalry w/superior materials (chaos knights): Sp 8, De 6+
    Superheavy cavalry (Bant knights): Sp 6/7, De 6+
    Last edited by AlexHolker; 16-05-2011 at 12:58.

I still think it would be good to include the full rules for structures here. Presumably they cannot be issued any order (e.g. a change facing)? It's better for people not to have to carry two lots of rules and cross-reference.

The Nerve chart for it looks OK. What did you think was the problem?

I still think it would be good to include the full rules for structures here. Presumably they cannot be issued any order (e.g. a change facing)? It's better for people not to have to carry two lots of rules and cross-reference.
    I've reposted it, and it now explicitly states what different null stats mean. Really, it should be part of the core rules, not part of my Structure rule.

The Nerve chart for it looks OK. What did you think was the problem?
    It was mainly that the rules were neater under the old system. I needed to add an entirely new variable to the Glacial Barrier, for one.

Did you consider making the banner and musician costs uniform for each and every unit? As all of Mantic's lists have them uniformly.
    Fyrebyrd

The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrebyrd View Post
    Did you consider making the banner and musician costs uniform for each and every unit? As all of Mantic's lists have them uniformly.
    I can do that for the next version - this one was posted before the PDFs were made available.

referencing v2.1

Hey Alex,
    You removed the defence value for the Glacial Barrier. You don't have anything to explain a null stat for defence. Perhaps it was just an accident.
    Fyrebyrd

The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrebyrd View Post
    referencing v2.1

Hey Alex,
    You removed the defence value for the Glacial Barrier. You don't have anything to explain a null stat for defence. Perhaps it was just an accident.
    Yes, that was a mistake when I was transferring the information to the new layout. I've uploaded a new version with that typo fixed, and the correct value of 5+ included.

Hey Alex, where is your Kislev list? I can't find it in your OP or any of the later posts.

Is there a link to the actual list? I'm not seeing it on this page at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast