Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Titanomachy Sons of Horus

Titanomachy Sons of Horus

Imperium Secundus
    Rebuilding painting blogs

Industrious, bionically-enhanced member of the Plastic Crack Rehab Clinic

Re: Titanomachy Sons of Horus

Hell yeah! The conversion looks great (as with all your work) and am looking forward to this log!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hochdorf View Post
    I'm disturbed by the fact that Theodor Bruckner's codpiece appears to be substantially larger than a normal man's head

Chaplain

I wish to marry you. And somehow steal your hobby skills.

Oh man, does that look cool!

Veteran Sergeant

I was hoping you'd have a new plog for these, looking forward to see them progress, I assume thier for October?

Apologist + plog = awesome!

Looking forward on seeing your take on the ruinous powers

R
    I'm on Facebook and I've got a blog as bigbossredskullz.

Team Anarchy, a norwegian gaming community.

Mark V Power Armour
    Mark V armour, later superstitiously known as the Heresy Suit, provides a number of insights into the struggles for materiel and clear supply lines during the Horus Heresy. Space Marine armour had followed a linear series of steps in development between the formative Thunder Armour variants (retrospectively grouped together and dubbed Mark I power armour) and the Maximus suit, which represented the pinnacle of Astartes armour at the height of the Great Crusade owing to the recovery of numerous STC improvements.

As the Great Crusade entered its final stages, STC discoveries that improved upon current technology became fewer and slower most new discoveries included aesthetic or material differences rather than providing more protection. This meant that armour development slowed and virtually stopped, with research on the Forgeworlds becoming grindingly slow.

As the incredible distances between the areas of human inhabitation became apparant, Mark IV armour was proving both effective and difficult to maintain. Mark V armour represented a stop-gap to bolster damaged portions of Mark IV plate or to armour new recruits as the Legions advanced further and further from supply lines, and replenishment barges dwindled in number.

Mark V replaced the Maximus suit's complex systems and hard-to-source materials with heavier, more basic stock. This made Mark V considerably easier to maintain and replace; but in keeping the level of protection as high as Mark IV, the composite suits were often hugely heavy and massive. This tended to give Mark V armour a brutal, hulking appearance, and many Legions played on this during the Horus Heresy for propaganda purposes.

Many contemporary Mark V suits amongst the Chapters of the forty-first Millennium actually represent individual replacement components for Maximus plate, which were later collected together into complete hotch-potch suits. However, the bulk of Mark V suits were produced on the Forgeworlds to a Martian pattern, which included the three most identifiable characteristics of Mark V suits: the heavy external cabling (necessary for the great weight and lower technology level of the power-hungry suit), the reinforcing bonding studs, and the snub-nosed, grill-faced helmet, a spin-off from the successful 'Terminator' exo-armour project.

In fact, many Mark V suits demonstrate only some, or none, of these aspects; differing from Mark IV in only minor ways: the molecular bonding studs and external cabling were unnecessary when artificers had access to higher-tech resources, and the snub-nosed helmet was built for raw resilience rather than usefulness. The helm lacked the preysight, broadscan, and ultra-range IR visual modes standard to Mark IV, and the Martian pattern's standard comm-suite was notoriously poor outside of squad-level communication. As a result, the helmet was unpopular amongst many Legions, and old Crusade or Maximus-pattern helmets were used in preference. A notable exception was the World Eaters, who valued the Martian helmet for its brutal appearance, unchallenged resilience to trauma, and the newly-introduced kill-counter; a morbid curio of the mark that allowed a tally of the number of enemy casualties inflicted.

Mark V was often produced in short runs by the Legions artificers themselves, and this has added to the confusion over what constitutes the Mark V heresy suit probably the most varied and complex of the Power Armour series.

+++
    Brother Nabonaddon

Brother Nabonaddon is pictured in a typical example of Mark V power armour, coloured the cool sea-green of the newly-renamed Sons of Horus. The Martian helm is standard, as it the torso. Marked differences from the Mars-pattern include the rims on the pauldrons. These may be a later addition, a decorative flourish, or represent the central portion of the Astartes' Mark II suit being reinforced with studding to bring it in line with the defensive capabilities of Mark IV. The suit also bears hip-plating and flared knee reinforcement, additions common to the XIII Company amongst the XVI Legion.

Keen to promote division and confusion in the Loyalist ranks, the Warmaster's forces commonly bore unusual or non-standard iconography to prevent the Loyalists from identifying particular threats on the battlefield. In concert with the newly-open practises of the Lodges, it became increasingly irrelevant to mark standard tactical symbols such as the old chevron rank system. The Warmaster, under the tutelage of Erebus, encouraged the use of Lodge symbology in their stead, so variations on cosmological symbols, such as suns, moons and stars became increasingly common. This can be seen on the gilded additions to Nabonaddon's shoulder trims though translation from this black tongue is
    *Deleted by order of the Inquisiton*.

The studded pauldrons leaves little space for iconography, so the Astartes' right hip-plate bears the Eye of Horus, the newly-renamed Legion's symbol. Nabonaddon is clearly a member of the Snake Lodge, as indicated by the brand on the outside of his left thigh. Post-Isstvan, allegiance to the Lodges became
    de facto public, as more than nine in ten Astartes loyal to the Warmaster were adherents and/or attendees.

Nabonaddon carries an Umbra-pattern boltgun, common amongst the Legion during the
    Age of Darkness, the names Imperial scholars gave to the seven-year period between the Isstvan Dropsite Massacres and the Siege of the Emperor's Palace.
    Imperium Secundus

Brutal looking. Love it

Thanks very much!

One of the Sons of Horus guns down an Ultramarine during the Battle for Portresh
    Last edited by Apologist; 02-06-2011 at 10:58.
    Imperium Secundus

Everything was looking good until the last picture - then it turned epic. Amazing atmosphere in that photo. Can't wait to see more of these, and please do more action shots!

Cheers,
    BTB

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Hobby-gasm!!!

Fantastic conversion, lovely painting: I've yet to see a Sons of Horus force painted that looks close to the artwork. Perchance would you share the recipe kind hobby overlord?

Subscribed for more,

Memnon

Awesome!! Hoping for a suitably awesome Horus that will be as amazing as your Guilliman! So... whats the recipe for the grey
    Quote Originally Posted by Hochdorf View Post
    I'm disturbed by the fact that Theodor Bruckner's codpiece appears to be substantially larger than a normal man's head

Amazing work as always Apologist.
    The model and fluff are perfectly aligned, I like the logical explanations for your builds.

And I second TheConverter15's comment - can't wait to see your Horus!

That's easily the best Sons of Horus model I've seen!

Awesome pose, awesome painting! Had a double-take as I originally thought it was a whole squad

Another spectacular build, simply stunning!

+1111 on the story.
    And that marine looks ace! Posing is really great and I love his base! Do you have more of them?

amazing job.. wow... i loved the background info! that pose is great!

Colour Scheme
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnon
    I've yet to see a Sons of Horus force painted that looks close to the artwork. Perchance would you share the recipe[?]
    Quote Originally Posted by Theconverter15
    So... whats the recipe for the grey?
    It's Vallejo's 'German Afrika Korps Tank Crew' highlighted up to 'Highlight USMC Tank Crew', both from their Panzer Aces range. I'm not hugely happy with the paintjob – Vallejo's got a very different consistency to Citadel colour, and it doesn't seem to play nicely with my acrylic extender.

However, it's a case of adapt and overcome, and I really like the basic colour, so I'll work on getting it a bit smoother and bringing out some greater contrast on later models. This test model will go back in for some touch-ups, and I'll be applying the lessons to later additions.

Quote Originally Posted by El Aartos
    And that marine looks ace! Posing is really great and I love his base! Do you have more of them?
    More incoming – I need sixty or more for the Autumn, so it's all ahead full.

Quote Originally Posted by Theconverter15
    Hoping for a suitably awesome Horus that will be as amazing as your Guilliman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamby
    And I second TheConverter15's comment - can't wait to see your Horus!
    Well, good news everyone [/Farnsworth], as I'm going a bit 'bonkers scouring-era Abaddon' and cloning him. There'll be not one Horus, but three (sort of).

First off is the big man himself, who will not be part of the army per se, but will represent him immediately pre-Davin. I'm afraid I don't have a very good picture of him, but you can see him in the background on the right of this picture, menacing an Ultramarine (in fact, that's the same Ultramarine getting WTFpwned by Nabonaddon earlier in the thread. Poor chap!):

This version of Horus was largely sculpted by Lord Blood the Hungry, and I'll be painting him up (hopefully fairly soon).

The second 'Horus' will be Horus Aximand, the leader of the army; and the final one will be a post-Davin Age of Darkness-era Horus, which I'll be converting myself.
    Last edited by Apologist; 06-06-2011 at 09:13.
    Imperium Secundus

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast