Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tale of Terrain Builders month 4 (and June's WIP)

Tale of Terrain Builders month 4 (and June's WIP)

The Tale of Terrain Builders 2011 - 2012

This is the thread to post your work done in May. From Wednesday on it becomes where you post your WIP for June. Hold off commenting about others work until then, as we want a bunch of shiny pictures. I don't think we need the dice roll mechanic for commenting since there are only a little over 30 participants. If we need to add it in future months we will.

What is it all about?

The aim of The Tale of Terrain Builders is to help motivate those involved to start and complete enough scenery to fill a gaming board in the next twelve months.
    Because not everyone can spare the same amount of time for various reasons, there are different levels of commitment. The standard, or Mens, level of commitment is to create a single, reasonably sized piece of terrain per month*. The lesser level of commitment is for the Boys category, and requires the completion of a piece of terrain every other month, but with the commitment to show progress each month!

The builders do this each month for the next 12 months, starting with their first post on the first day of March 2011, and finishing with their last post on the first day of February 2012. So we have this month, whilst everyone signs up, to gather scrap, parts, tools and otherwise get yourself ready to go with the first work in progress starting in February.

* A single piece of scenery at least the size of a hill of building will be considered one piece. A barricade, tree, rock spire or similar would be considered too small on its own to count as a whole piece of scenery, however multiple such pieces would count as a single entry. If in doubt, terrain that covers a diameter of roughly 6” is what we are going for, but this is a loose definition. We certainly aren’t going to chide anyone because they only built an outhouse and a tree! After all, getting stuff done is the name of the game! Obviously, larger projects can be broken up over multiple days.*

-A note on building whole Tables and Dioramas: Both building the actual playing surface for playing games on and Dioramas count for this tale. Dioramas can use the Boys level of commitment (unless they are truly large), and will count each month as long as appreciable progress is made each month. Tables, on the other hand, can range from a simple coating of flock to very elaborate set-ups. For these, if your planned table is pretty simple, use the boys category. If it is complex, use the mens. In either case, entries are judged on whether decent progress is made. Again, none of us are too anal about this. Just build and have fun and everything should be OK!

However, because people have real lives with exams, holidays, honeymoons, new babies etc, etc. They get two 'Jokers'. For two months within the year you can ‘play a joker’ and rather than post an update they can post "sorry guys couldn't get it done this month. Real life got in the way." But the other 10 Months they have to come up with 1 piece of completed, usable scenery. That is 1 piece for 10 of the next 12 months.

At the beginning of each month a new thread will appear for the builders to post your previous months construction efforts and the rest of the builders to offer words of encouragement.

In twelve months we will all end up with enough Terrain to cover a table, which is awesome! (Or at least everyone who can see it through to the end will... it's harder than you think!)

Frequently Asked Questions

Q : Am I too Late? Can I still join in?
    A : No you are not too late. Yes you can still join in. Just post on this thread saying whether you want to build for the mens or boys category.

Q : Can I build more than one piece per month?
    A : Yes, you can build as much as you like. However, please only post one of your pieces in the monthly thread to keep pace with everyone. Save one for the next month... take one off even. Of note though, is the * point above stating small scenery items count as 1/3rd of a whole piece. We would expect 3 of these as a single entry.

Q : What happens if I build a GIANT piece (like a huge defence laser)?
    A : If you create a truly epic piece of scenery, then you're welcome to post it as s single months entry. However, you could (based on how many 'buildings/hills' in size you consider/count it as 2 or more months entries and post it at the end of that time.

Q : Can I include a short narrative with each months post.
    A : Yes. We love background stuff. Write as much as you like it will be read and enjoyed by many.
    Last edited by Little Joe; 04-06-2011 at 21:40.
    my general project thread

[2016] painted: 24, added to my collection after sales and trades: 5
    [2017] painted: 25, added to my collection after sales and trades: -127

Re: Tale of Terrain Builders month 4 (and June's WIP)

And here are the participants of which 11 are still without a joker:

WIP is for work in progress.
    bigWip is for work in progress that counts as a full months work (Mens) or two for Boys
    done is for finished pieces. This counts for two months work for Boys
    done (+1) counts for two full months for Mens (4! for Boys)
    Joker is a joker and J's are for default (not requested) jokers.

Please check for any mistakes I made by copying the data. I put the file in alphabetical order for easier reference (for me).

General comment: please post WIP pictures instead of requesting a joker if you have some!

@Ghost 1 Actual I gave you a bigWIP and done(+1) so you’ve got your joker back.
    @DeadInTheHead same here, but twice with the table and all jokers back.
    @Harvey I gave you a bigWIP and done(+1) so you’ve got your joker back.
    @ static grass If you want a bigWIP for last month just tell me, I wanted to keep you on edge.

Should I drop a PM if you hit four jokers or is it your own responsibility?
    Is the size of the picture OK or do you want a bigger/smaller one? (first time picture poster)

EDIT: Maglok's changes done
    Last edited by Little Joe; 04-06-2011 at 21:45.

Little Joe: Mens

THIS MONTH:
    Well I already showed the finished hills so only group shots this month

HIGHS AND LOWS:
    Highs: I am done with hills.
    Lows: I did not finish even one effigy in time (even with a delay), but I managed to build my third effigy (only needs some rope).

NEXT MONTH:
    Finishing orchenge, but first the effigies. They need to go first, because I want to try a new way of painting terrain (like models with a lot of detail, not just mainly brushing) and want to create an overall feel to the orc terrain. So let’s see how far I get.

Why do I have a joker :P Only WIPs and finished so far right?
    Tomb Kings and DnD minis plog - A painting log
    The Sands of Nehekhara - A terrain log
    Glok's Grotto - My gaming log

My error, corrected in the file, will post the updated picture wednesday with all needed corrections.

Chaplain

Xazil: Mens.

Highs: Interesting working with clay to make an uneven lay of land.
    Lows: Water not as smooth as I want it.

The Tower of Drakenquell

Welcome stranger! So you are the one who wants to see the Tower of Drakenquell?
    It really is worth a look.

The village of Drakenquell is situated at the far edge of the city ruins, partly sheltered by the ruined town wall while the Tower is part of the defense of the buildings outside the old city-borders.
    Perhaps you know that the village was founded about a dozen years after the devastation of the city of Drakenfurt by the Waagh Ironfist.

Drakenfurt had been a merchant town fabulously rich by the ores of the surrounding hills and until today the tales are told of the gold of the merchant princes to be found among the ruins of the destroyed city.
    There were times when adventurers of all parts of the empire came to plunder the ruins, only to disappear after a few days.
    The inhabitants seem to be rather superstitious and afraid of shadows. They always tell about the haunted ruins of the old town and try not to venture into the ruins alone or by night. So naturally the tale goes, that the missing men were killed in the deep parts of the ruined city.

You as an educated man surly will scoff at their tales of ghosts and ratlings.
    It seems far more likely that these missing adventurers left for good after findings nothing of the famed gold.

But back to our tower. For about ten years it has been manned by the state troops of our esteemed elector count, but soon it will be the home of the newly founded Drakenquell Guard.
    As you have seen we built it on a steep hill and the road winds up to its entrance.

The sides of the hill were cleared of any bigger trees and bushes to make it hard for an enemy to reach the tower-walls.
    Don`t let the damaged cart disturb you, it will be cleared away before the arrival of the soldiers.
    In case of a visit by a rider we have got a watering place for horses.

Last edited by DAGabriel; 05-06-2011 at 08:22.
    currently active in the Tale of Fantasy Painters!
    My plog: To the honor of Hashut

Now enter, please.
    As you can see, the door is reinforced with iron. We believe, that even a waaagh-boss will not destroy this mastercrafted piece.

A stair is leading from the ground level to the Guard Room, where the weapons are kept.

A look from the outside:

A ladder then leads you to the wooden fighting platform. From here you can look at the surroundings and fire at the enemies.
    The Drakenquell Guard will be a mixed unit of about twenty, later thirty men, one part fighting with the crossbow, the other part is a new type of heavy handgunners after the example of the Nuln Ironsides.
    Last edited by DAGabriel; 05-06-2011 at 10:26.

And from here you reach the rest room by spiral stairs. As you can see the tower is built rather luxuriously keeping in mind the comfort and safety of the soldiers.

Again for your orientation the view from outside.

And last but not least the sturdy roof!

After to months of painting and building it finally is ready (to tell the truth, i`m rather fed up).

Highs: It is a fantastic kit, with structures that make painting it a delight. It sure looks impressive on the table and i`m happy how it turned out.

Lows: The wooden fighting platform came in five parts not really fitting together well. That results in a slight misfit of the “rest room”. Don`t know if I have got the nerves to fill the gaps.

I learned: next buildings have to be dry fitted more extensively.

To do: the experiment with the cracle medium to represent old paint.

Coming next: The dreaded 40k buildings. A good 6 weeks `til the big game, I promised:

- two or three ruined buildings (which are flying around partly built)
    - a lake (which is partly painted from some years ago)
    - something big i`ll have to think about (having that dratted Fortress of Redemption I never even started).

It will be a lot of work so please do not expect too many WIPs, I`ll throw the things online when ready with a Group shot at the end!

Keep on building and painting happily!
    Last edited by DAGabriel; 05-06-2011 at 08:26.

PARTICIPANT: Thoume - Mens

THIS MONTH: Roads and Gaming Mat

Warboss Zagsnik observed the vast road ahead from the saddle of a vehicle only an ork would class as a bike. Once a supply route between imperial colonies across the planet, now a racetrack between the ork settlements built over the ruins.

Time had made its mark on the highway, scars and potholes cover the entire surface. Despite being well built by its predecessors, it wouldn't be long before rubble is all that remains to mark the path.

Far into the distance Zagsnik could see the silhouettes of Space Wolf Thunderhawk Gunships descending from the atmosphere, clearing a drop zone in a display of sheer firepower. Nothing would be left of the bombarded settlement, but several dozen nearby would have drawn their attention to it.

With a roar of the engine and a bellowing warcry, Zagsnik burst ahead towards the carnage, the speed freak horde behind him trying to catch up. The race was on to see who'd get to the fight first...

What a month! I was pretty close to calling a joker on this one, not quite finishing what I had originally set out to do but got a few bits and pieces done. The roads were the main target and I got enough this month to cover the length of a 6x4 board but still got some corner bits and things yet to finish.

Also found an opportunity to paint my broken blacktop zuzzy mat this month with the weather being good for most of it. Was surprisingly quick to turn around in less than a week! I do still have the edges to do but its enough to be playable.

Making the roads was something like this:

• I bought four sheets of cork, two of which I cut into lengths of 15cm x 45cm
    • With some spare foamboard I cut strips to go half on the sides and filled the rest of the space underneath with corrigated cardboard.
    • Epoxy filler and sand on the sides for texture
    • Using a craft knife and sculpting tool I carved some cracks and potholes using some reference images as a guide. Cork really lends itself here for the effect!
    • Primed white, washed black, drybrushed grey, washed black again, sides were a straight sepia wash

HIGHS
    • Got space for gaming away from the dining room table! Enough for up to a 6x8 board or two 6x4s
    • Apocalypse game last week helped make sure most of it was finished!
    • Roads themselves were really easy to make
    • Finally getting round to painting the mat despite having it for several months!

LOWS
    • Bought some decent 6x2 folding paste tables for the mats but they were pretty expensive (About £160 for four, two to each mat. I could well have bought a RoB but with nothing for it to stand on!)
    • Roads have a habit of warping. Can kinda get them back into shape but they just spring back!
    • Over ambitious in getting some walls done this month and ran out of time for them. Definitely be picking this up again in a later month hopefully in time for another Apoc game...

NEXT MONTH'S THREAT
    Nothing planned, I'm actually thinking of making June a joker month to catch up on other stuff. Had a really good streak going but it could be time for a break. I might do some restoration work on some old stuff again (the barricades on the sides of the roads in the third picture would be up first) but other than that nothing from scratch yet. We'll see

BOYS category

This is the finished result of the WIP from last month

The tomb of Isis
    All the rulers of the great desert were kings of old. This holds true everywhere. In the case of Isis though, she was the power behind the throne. Her husband was nothing more but a puppet. The real power lay with her and the people knew it.

She was the one in control of the kingdom and she was the one making the decisions. The people did love 'her rule', so when she inevitably died they decided to build a tomb, a pyramid, in her name. Not the king, but the queen.

Isis was never fond of her husband, so they say. She did it for the people and the people rewarded her in death. Her own tomb. What happened to the body of the king remains a mystery.

In front of the great pyramid two sphynx, depictions of the creatures she loved so much.

TODO: The sand. I still haven't found a good way for sand, but the terrainpiece is finished. I also might want to expand the concept of her tomb into a bunch of modular pieces to make it look more like a complex then a single tomb. Good start for now though.

HIGHS: The doors. I like how those got together, with the shields and the guys standing on the door.

LOWS: I have bloody had it with sand. Still can't figure out a good way.

NEXT MONTH: Probably going to be finishing an obelisk I have already partially created. It is smaller then the shrine and the tomb by far, so should only count for one month.

PICTURES!

Entrance. Excuse the shadows, hard to photo.

Another angle

Finished piece
    Tomb Kings and DnD minis plog - A painting log
    The Sands of Nehekhara - A terrain log
    Glok's Grotto - My gaming log

Dreffbuilder: Boys

This month, I'll be finishing two of my things because I was Jokering at march. I could sign up to mens category, but I think I will do more than the boys category needs to do.

So. Last evening match of my friends was joyful, Tau vs. Eldar. Eldar won. Objective match. We used shattered lizard statues as objectives. I could make those but I want to make arcane ruins first. Today, I'll post my LOS blocking, Impassable terrain pieces.

Here you go, Big Mek without right hand for the scale.

Replies:

@Maglok: I started to think that it would be cool, if that pyramid had some light source inside it. The pyramid of doooooom!

@Xazil: Nice, Where I could find that kind of bushes?

@DAGabriel: Hecking good fella! That soldier looks terrfied.

@Thoume: Nice road. I myself wish that you should make one tall building to the table. And definitely more those Ork huts! And a meks workshop! And you shouldn't listen to my advises and make your own thoughts!
    Last edited by Dreffbuilder; 06-06-2011 at 12:11. Reason: Forgot replies...
    Dreffbuilder

(Been inactive, although I'm making a gift to a special friend all the way in Down Under!)

Chapter Master

Well, I finally managed to get the build going again...

I've added the first set of grass mats to the table.

With a bit of luck, this month I'll manage to get the rest of the grass down and, who knows, I might even add a corn-field or two...

Going to need a day or two to post my finished gate house... Got caught in the rain and the iphone got soaked lets see if the rice can save it.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Dreffbuilder View Post
    @Xazil: Nice, Where I could find that kind of bushes?
    The close up pictures aren't very flattering to be honest.

The dark green bushes are simply very small model railway trees bought cheap with some rough drybrushing. The lighter bushes are drybrushed lichen. There is also some undergrowth flock in the mix with the normal flock and static grass.

My Dreadstone Blight and Moonscape craters are finally coming! I ended up building an Imperial Sector as a commission while waiting... Hopefully I'll finish them pretty soon so I'll can redeem myself.
    Guild Redemund's Blog about gaming and nerdy stuff.
    My painting log

@ static grass: btw, i`d be interested what parts you used for your gate house. GW Parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Xazil View Post
    The close up pictures aren't very flattering to be honest.

The dark green bushes are simply very small model railway trees bought cheap with some rough drybrushing. The lighter bushes are drybrushed lichen. There is also some undergrowth flock in the mix with the normal flock and static grass.

Thanks fella!
    Dreffbuilder

(Been inactive, although I'm making a gift to a special friend all the way in Down Under!)

Against all odds! The iphone lives!!!

Finally finished this BEAST. It took much longer to assemble and paint than what I originally planned but I am quite chuffed with the result.

Front

Close up of the gate.... some proclamations there, you better read them next time you go past.

View of the rear

Close up on the entry to the gate house.

Quote Originally Posted by DAGabriel View Post
    @ static grass: btw, i`d be interested what parts you used for your gate house. GW Parts?
    GW mostly and its...

Gate house x1
    Watchtower x2
    Chapel x1

Plus some textured plasticard from Mills and a door frame from Antenocitis Workshop. (a great store btw)

Very happy with the overall feel of it, it looks like it belongs to the empire (Ostermark).

Lots of great terrain this month, some comments:

@N810 Such a great piece of jungle deserves more comments; you should repost it in this month’s thread. Especially the effect of what I think is green paint and a bit of flock on the floor looks so good. Also you have a piece for each month so far how about becoming a man?

@Xazil The painting in the water makes for an interesting piece of terrain. A pond might need a flat surface but the waves could just be from a windy day, from memory the water in a pond is almost never flat. Different flock and grasses and/or amounts thereof and the bushes, those little trees are very nice, get a nature-like feeling across. The only thing I would change is to also flock the rim.

@DAGabriel That is one nicely painted huge tower with a lot of pictures (needed and appreciated). Even a great kit needs a dedicated builder and painter to make it a masterpiece, just WOW! And thanks for the tour and please keep us updated on that medium, it sounds very interesting.

@Thoume Nice roads, to de-warp them permanently you can replace a bit of the cardboard underneath with a steel ruler (strip of steel). Please tell us more about the tables and the mat, it sounds very interesting.
    I wonder if I could get something like that around here and magnetize the corners and just swap mats for different surfaces (I already have a table large enough).

@Maglok A very nice pyramid, sorry tomb, great effect with limited colours. I am greatly interested in the alcohol/glue technique, did you try it?

@Dreffbuilder Yes you could any time you want. Terrain with a job in mind and good looking. You fulfil the boys requirement so far without the need for a joker, do you want me to change the joker for now to a WIP?

@f2k I never had to build a table and have not seen the use of grass mats before, do you add one colour of static grass in between to bind them together while having many colours around, or is it a scale thing to get lush grass? This is for 10mm right?
    The progress looks good so far and I definitely get a feel of what it will look like. I hope you add lots of fences, bushes and trees.

@static grass This sure looks great and is painted to a high level, I am glad you did not copy GW’s half crumbled look, but made a sturdy gatehouse. It certainly has this old, we added a bit here, the tower needs to be higher and so on feel with a sound building technique. Which brings me to my single point of critique, the overhang on the back with the walkway and the house on top need support beams of some kind. Stone Gargoyle holders or the empire equivalent would fit the stone theme best I think.
    That new gate really adds a lot, not just at the front. Great detail overall, I love it.

Some pictures of my effigies, I will get them painted this weekend and continue with orchenge. I am looking forward to more picture goodness for this month.

EDIT: What I have been calling effigies should have been idols for rulebook reference.
    Last edited by Little Joe; 08-06-2011 at 13:36.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast