Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tale of Terrain Builders month 4 (and June's WIP)

Chapter Master

Re: Tale of Terrain Builders month 4 (and June's WIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    @f2k I never had to build a table and have not seen the use of grass mats before, do you add one colour of static grass in between to bind them together while having many colours around, or is it a scale thing to get lush grass? This is for 10mm right?
    The progress looks good so far and I definitely get a feel of what it will look like. I hope you add lots of fences, bushes and trees.
    Yes, I'll be adding some normal static grass in between to create areas of unkept grass. There'll be some corn-fields too, eventually.

The idea I was working with was to create patches of grass with different colours - just as Google Earth shows it.

Bushes and foot-paths will be added as the last stage. I was considering some trees as well, but I've pretty much given up on that again. In real life, the area opposite the fortress was a forest, but gameplay-wise, I don't think it will work.
    I might make some movable forests later, though...

As for the scale, Flames of War uses 15 mm. figures. But you might get away with 20 mm. models on this table as well. At 10 mm. the fortress would probably become a bit too large - it's alreaddy a bit oversized for 15 mm, I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post

@Dreffbuilder Yes you could any time you want. Terrain with a job in mind and good looking. You fulfil the boys requirement so far without the need for a joker, do you want me to change the joker for now to a WIP?

Nah, I hope the joker makes me go "VROOOOOOM" and make more terrain! And keep the boys.

Thank you for asking thou!
    Dreffbuilder

(Been inactive, although I'm making a gift to a special friend all the way in Down Under!)

We are in month 5 and seem to be dwindling????
    Come on guys!

Here my comments and the first finished 40k thingies:

@ Little Joe: Well, what shall i say, they are very hilly hills? Show us the cake and not the bread! Painted effigies/idols!!!!!!!!!!!!
    @ Xasil: Did it warp? Or is it just the photo? And what is the problem with the water? I`ll be doing some water effects soon, too, so i`m interested to avoid the problem.
    @ Thoume: that broken asphalt effect is ace! So sorry that for me it is cobble stone streets.
    @ Maglok: Would like to visit you with my tomb kings. Really cool pyramid, but what about the sand? Any progress?
    @ Dreffbuilder: What happened with that orc boss? Nice hills/los-blockers. I know it is a lot of work, but wouldn`t the plants look great when primed and painted?
    @ f2k: That is what I call progress! Looking great so far, close ups?
    @ static grass: Love it! I´m really tempted to try to copy it (with my color palette). Only problem: all other buildings got detailed interiors, don`t know if I could manage that.

And the first photo, i know they are far from perfect, if i manage, i`ll put at least some rust on the things in the lake!
    currently active in the Tale of Fantasy Painters!
    My plog: To the honor of Hashut

Quote Originally Posted by DAGabriel View Post

And from here you reach the rest room by spiral stairs. As you can see the tower is built rather luxuriously keeping in mind the comfort and safety of the soldiers.

Again for your orientation the view from outside.

And last but not least the sturdy roof!

After to months of painting and building it finally is ready (to tell the truth, i`m rather fed up).

Highs: It is a fantastic kit, with structures that make painting it a delight. It sure looks impressive on the table and i`m happy how it turned out.

Lows: The wooden fighting platform came in five parts not really fitting together well. That results in a slight misfit of the “rest room”. Don`t know if I have got the nerves to fill the gaps.

I learned: next buildings have to be dry fitted more extensively.

To do: the experiment with the cracle medium to represent old paint.

Coming next: The dreaded 40k buildings. A good 6 weeks `til the big game, I promised:

- two or three ruined buildings (which are flying around partly built)
    - a lake (which is partly painted from some years ago)
    - something big i`ll have to think about (having that dratted Fortress of Redemption I never even started).

It will be a lot of work so please do not expect too many WIPs, I`ll throw the things online when ready with a Group shot at the end!

Keep on building and painting happily!
    Great job DAGabriel! Really well done, I love the realistic tones and colors!
    Keep up the great work!
    Ivan
    Tabletop World

Quote Originally Posted by DAGabriel View Post
    @ Little Joe: Well, what shall i say, they are very hilly hills? Show us the cake and not the bread! Painted effigies/idols!!!!!!!!!!!!
    *hangs head in shame*
    "Dein Wunsch sei mir Befehl"

Pictures of one finished idol for my wolf tribe.
    I am a bit unsure of the open mouths as muscles freeze after death it should be fine but I could also put little sticks in them to keep them open. Yet would a goblin go through the hassle?
    Today I hope to finish painting the night goblin one.

The number of entries are pretty steady per month, I'd say most have not posted yet for whatever reason. So people, put them shiny pictures online!
    Last edited by Little Joe; 12-06-2011 at 11:19.
    my general project thread

[2016] painted: 24, added to my collection after sales and trades: 5
    [2017] painted: 25, added to my collection after sales and trades: -127

While my entry is almost finished I currently have some trouble finding the time and motivation to get it completely done. Therefore:

2012 Minis bought: 363 - - Minis painted: 373
    2013 Minis bought: 1060 - - Minis painted: 210
    2014 Minis bought: 651 - - Minis painted: 63
    2015 Minis bought: 1057 - - Minis painted: 105 - - Sold: 556
    2016 Minis bought: 386 - - Minis painted: 8 - - Sold: 332

@DAGabriel: The mek wasn't WYSIWYG, (=What you see is what you get) Because mek can't have a force field and kustom mega blasta at the same time... something catastrophic would happen if he pulls the trigger too close to a electro- magnetic field... SadFace :cries:

For any others, Trying to figure the positioning of the ruins. Furthermore, I'm really pissed of for some reason. (I just like to hate things sometimes) (Maybe it's the full moon!) No....
    ...My dwarfs were beaten up again. (Twice!) The other was a last stand match, having two units of 20 hammerers and lord and thane (1000p limit) against 3000p of invaders... survived to round 4 with my lord standing last, only to Rest In Pieces, even SadderFace :cries: :cries: (Both had oath stones, were they legal?) Oh and against me was 5 units of ogres, and a crapload of skaven' and a vermin lord

Yeah things happen.
    I wish they would update the dwarf army book soon, I always get blasted to pieces by my mates' skaven, OK, O&G, WoC and TK soon. Only one victory would cheer.
    Dreffbuilder

(Been inactive, although I'm making a gift to a special friend all the way in Down Under!)

Veteran Sergeant Ghost 1 Actual's Avatar

Thanks Little Joe.

@Static Grass: I love the city gate. it's a vey inspiring piece, and would really dominate a battle field. Great for Mordheim.

This month for me is a WIP. To prove I have not been totally lazy. Here are some photos (in progress) of my new wargaming room and perhaps more importantly a first look at my home made terrain tiles. (modelled very much on Geo-hex)

A look towards my bookcases, with drawers for my armies and a TV for inspirational movies.

The table itself. (piled with crap that has not yet been stored in the 12 drawers under the table)

Using two wooden hex templates to make the basic shapes for my tiles.

Starting to cover the table.

Covered in basic tiles and with a good collection of hill tiles also complete.

The plan is to double side some of the tiles to allow for having roads on one side and then plain fields on the other. I also hope to create a few "custom" tiles to allow me to create a harbour/port for a Mordheim style table.
    I also hope that once the tiles are painted and flocked any irregularities between the tiles will "blend" in and not be as noticeable.
    The whole thing has also been planned and built to have a "frame" around the outside to stop the tiles from sliding while being used...but I realise I might have to also "tie" certain tiles together like GeoHex used to do with triangles of plastic-card at the corners.

More photos to come once the painting and flocking has begun.
    "In Audacia Victoria"

My Terrain Log

Just swinging by...

I am loving those hex tiles are you just using a normal saw or a hotwire cutter to cut the tiles?

I think that the static grass (ahem) will cover the joins quite well but I dont think it is a good idea to them double sided. I reckon they will just get damaged or not sit properly due to the irregular surfaces. Anyway though I am very excited to see how this progress's!

@Ghost 1 Actual That looks very promising. It is also very interesting to see it done this way (nice measuring tool you made!). I hope to see many more WIP pictures of that table.

Here is the second idol done. It took me a bit longer as expected due to all the skulls and detail, but I am happy with the outcome so far. The time left today will be spent on the spider idol. Next weekend I am not at home so I will have to try to get it done this weekend. I need something finished for this month, orchenge is undergoing goblinyfying at the moment and with the experience of these three will take a whole month to paint.

Veteran Sergeant Ghost 1 Actual's Avatar

@Static Grass: I created two, as near to perfect as I could get them, and identical hexes from masonite. I then lined them up to create guide holes, and then with the help of some screws and some F-Clamps I positioned them on opposite sides of the foam and used a hot wire cutter to cut out the hex. I similarly positioned the templates to make half hexes and the hill edges so I did not have to waste a full hex. (This article: http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page255.html was the basis for my thinking, and where I got the "how to" idea.)

As for making them double sided, I will probably test a few, and see how they turn out...but I already know if I don't do it, it does become another thing to store, and therefore consider.

@Little Joe: I like the idol...especially the mushrooms...something to get the Gobbos all drugged up and ready for battle.

As for more WIP here are a few to show how the final tile should look, I rushed a few to completion so I could see if they fitted in with my existing forests and scatter hills.

Showing a finished tile, and some of my scatter terrain, as well as all the road/cliff sections in the background with their sanded bits being painted black after I had to experiment to find the right dry-brushing tones to make it all match what I already have.

This last hopefully shows how the elevation will work with a road and a hill.
    "In Audacia Victoria"

My Terrain Log

@Ghost 1 Actual I just love your gaming table system. I saw some other pictures in your terrain plog and am mighty impressed. And fast, just WOW!
    Especially the blue surface/hill combo for rivers is an idea to be proud of. Oh and the bridge...I just cannot seem to stop.

I hope to see some more comments on achievements of this month, we all work for the pat on the shoulder, so give it generous but honest.

If you want a joker, please ask for it, next month's plog is just four days away.

Guess I should bash together some motovation this week...

Ps. Amazing modular design ghost.

So, just finished the 3rd 40k ruin. The Fortress is still very much WIP.
    But i couldn`t stand the future anymore so here some idyllic break, the first WIP of the Gremlins Vegetable Garden:

So you got yours already?
    I got an Email this morning that mine had been shipped.
    What paints did you use for the soil?

Yeah, it took only 4 days.
    Earth i do normally with a deep brown, here scorched brown, drybrush with bestial brown (that`s it here), then today i have done a slight coloration with yellow, orange, deap sea blue and sometimes catachan green.
    Finally, perhaps tomorrow, a thin drybrush with bleached bone.
    Biggest problem is now to get back to this dratted fortress of redemption.
    Did you order something else?

Yeah, I ordered the abandoned cart, the well and some small bits.
    I thought it was a better deal to spend 20€ more on stuff and get free shipping than paying 10€ for shipping alone.
    How's the casting quality?

so lala! The garden itself is ok, the trees are about 1 hour of scraping, sanding and filing.

Painted the front door (20 years ago?)

By the way, who will make the "June (and July in progress)"???
    Last edited by DAGabriel; 30-06-2011 at 16:50.

Hope Im not to late for this thread, but here is a standard city of death building as well as a wip.

Wip building

Highs: Getting back into the tale, looking forward to earning back those jokers.
    Lows: The textured spray can that I bought barely had enough texture in it for two buildings!
    Last edited by Radical; 08-07-2011 at 05:19.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast