Thread: Tale of Terrain Builders month 4 (and June's WIP)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tale of Terrain Builders month 4 (and June's WIP)

The Tale of Terrain Builders 2011 - 2012

This is the thread to post your work done in May. From Wednesday on it becomes where you post your WIP for June. Hold off commenting about others work until then, as we want a bunch of shiny pictures. I don't think we need the dice roll mechanic for commenting since there are only a little over 30 participants. If we need to add it in future months we will.

What is it all about?

The aim of The Tale of Terrain Builders is to help motivate those involved to start and complete enough scenery to fill a gaming board in the next twelve months.
    Because not everyone can spare the same amount of time for various reasons, there are different levels of commitment. The standard, or Mens, level of commitment is to create a single, reasonably sized piece of terrain per month*. The lesser level of commitment is for the Boys category, and requires the completion of a piece of terrain every other month, but with the commitment to show progress each month!

The builders do this each month for the next 12 months, starting with their first post on the first day of March 2011, and finishing with their last post on the first day of February 2012. So we have this month, whilst everyone signs up, to gather scrap, parts, tools and otherwise get yourself ready to go with the first work in progress starting in February.

* A single piece of scenery at least the size of a hill of building will be considered one piece. A barricade, tree, rock spire or similar would be considered too small on its own to count as a whole piece of scenery, however multiple such pieces would count as a single entry. If in doubt, terrain that covers a diameter of roughly 6” is what we are going for, but this is a loose definition. We certainly aren’t going to chide anyone because they only built an outhouse and a tree! After all, getting stuff done is the name of the game! Obviously, larger projects can be broken up over multiple days.*

-A note on building whole Tables and Dioramas: Both building the actual playing surface for playing games on and Dioramas count for this tale. Dioramas can use the Boys level of commitment (unless they are truly large), and will count each month as long as appreciable progress is made each month. Tables, on the other hand, can range from a simple coating of flock to very elaborate set-ups. For these, if your planned table is pretty simple, use the boys category. If it is complex, use the mens. In either case, entries are judged on whether decent progress is made. Again, none of us are too anal about this. Just build and have fun and everything should be OK!

However, because people have real lives with exams, holidays, honeymoons, new babies etc, etc. They get two 'Jokers'. For two months within the year you can ‘play a joker’ and rather than post an update they can post "sorry guys couldn't get it done this month. Real life got in the way." But the other 10 Months they have to come up with 1 piece of completed, usable scenery. That is 1 piece for 10 of the next 12 months.

At the beginning of each month a new thread will appear for the builders to post your previous months construction efforts and the rest of the builders to offer words of encouragement.

In twelve months we will all end up with enough Terrain to cover a table, which is awesome! (Or at least everyone who can see it through to the end will... it's harder than you think!)

Frequently Asked Questions

Q : Am I too Late? Can I still join in?
    A : No you are not too late. Yes you can still join in. Just post on this thread saying whether you want to build for the mens or boys category.

Q : Can I build more than one piece per month?
    A : Yes, you can build as much as you like. However, please only post one of your pieces in the monthly thread to keep pace with everyone. Save one for the next month... take one off even. Of note though, is the * point above stating small scenery items count as 1/3rd of a whole piece. We would expect 3 of these as a single entry.

Q : What happens if I build a GIANT piece (like a huge defence laser)?
    A : If you create a truly epic piece of scenery, then you're welcome to post it as s single months entry. However, you could (based on how many 'buildings/hills' in size you consider/count it as 2 or more months entries and post it at the end of that time.

Q : Can I include a short narrative with each months post.
    A : Yes. We love background stuff. Write as much as you like it will be read and enjoyed by many.
    Last edited by Little Joe; 04-06-2011 at 20:40.
    my general project thread

[2018] painted: 40, added to my collection: -89