Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kisanis's Blog-o-matic

Re: Kisanis's Blog-o-matic

That's a really cool way to honor your grandfather! Hope you find some transfers!

Thanks Daniel!
    All I know is he was with a support regiment in italy (nco engineering of some sort) and he talked about fixing things. He wasn't at the front and so he would talk to us as kids about it. But I dont know what regiment etc...

He spent some time in holland as well, but im not sure if it was for leave, or during the operations to liberate the lowlands.

Im hoping to get most of this info by christmas (its buried in their basement) my girlfriends father collects military insignia, so I want to know so he can keep an eye out for the patches etc...

Anywho, not much progress last night, just cleaning up mold lines etc... pics to follow before I prime, so likely in a week or so.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    I have too many project armies to list...
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    Tabletop Showcase A forum dedicated to wargaming project logs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

So this happened...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1438399423827.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	262.3 KB 
ID:	218060

Finally bought BA.

Cant believe I got all this for 50$ including taxes, shipping, and the wounded mini.

Now we just need antares to be released in full...

Some basic colours on the orks, nothing pic worthy yet.

Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

Small progress shot.
    Working on 5 more shoota boyz for my orks. Im really close to having all the models needed for my 2k list.
    But mostly I need to paint a lot of what I have.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1438666661540.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	308.1 KB 
ID:	218153

I need 24 more boyz, 3 killa kans, and 3 more warbikers... that should finish them model wise as far as main models.

I also need something to use as a looted wagon, so either an old rhino or chimera in rough shape 2nd hand, or a discount tank in 1:35.

Also, @Daniel36 this is for you!

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1438666711370.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	505.5 KB 
ID:	218154

That was at the local remembrance park in my hometown.

Watch the first 30 seconds of this video if you want to learn why these parks exist across canada:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-x63bhZKqqQ

(also a great documentary series).

Last edited by Kisanis; 04-08-2015 at 20:16.

Its sometimes hard to find a reason to paint where there are so many other things that need doing. Honoring your grandfather must be a great motivator. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...to-paint-again

Since 2017
    Minis bought - 12
    Minis Painted - 6

@acerimmer thanks!
    It definitely helps make it feel a little more tangible.

As you say, it helps with the motivation, and also to learn more about the italian campaigns in general. My grandfather always made sure we weren't ignorant of the war, so he'd be happy. He also built model trains, so I think he'd be impressed!

On canada we hear a lot about the battles in the netherlands, but so many people have forgotten the italian campaigns, and even the battle of hong kong. (I suggest reading a book called "the damned" on that topic).

Quote Originally Posted by Kisanis View Post
    (I suggest reading a book called "the damned" on that topic).
    Thanks I will look that one up. So far my WW2 reading only includes Sven Hassle and Hans Fellada (?)
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...to-paint-again

Since 2017
    Minis bought - 12
    Minis Painted - 6

So after entirely too long a time, I got some models done!

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1444009158920.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	220949

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1444009183040.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	220950

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1444009220021.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	220951

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1444009237225.jpg 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	220952

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1444009267444.jpg 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	220953

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1444009296546.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	220954

The last model was annoying. I was really hoping the head was positioned to properly for the arms to sit right...

Instead he just looks like a sand person yelling as the pod racers go by.

It took me most of august & September to finish these five guys. I was just in a big funk and lacked motivation.

I also got this for my birthday!

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1444009988909.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	217.1 KB 
ID:	220955
    Should help when I decide to dive into hail caesar and saga later (thinking of picking them up in march at Hotlead 2016

So now I need to pick whats next:
    -Trukk thats been half finished for several years
    -Warboss from Kromlech (mega armour)
    -more Canadians (just lots of infantry to paint!)
    -Dive into some test models of Fallschirmjaegers to fight my Canadians?

Thoughts???

So I think I'm going to try and Finish up a few more of my canadians. I have a few more riflemen to do that could easily go together fast. After the length of time these orks took, doing something quick and easy will be a releif.

I was kinda hoping AoS would reinvigorate fantasy, and encourage my friends to dig out their armies, but no luck. Skaven go on back burner once again until the gain in popularity...

I would love to play some 6th, or even 5th Fantasy sometime.

I also like some of the modded AoS rules out there that bring some sanity to that mess.

Now I just have to find some that want to join!

SO!

My plog is half alive. My old Flickr photos are still here, but most everything I've posted in the last while is dead and gone.

What to do?

Should I re-upload and fix the posts (lets face it, there are not that many)
    Or should I lock this and start anew?

Also - I have plans on joining up with Daniels PLOG only forum. As he has noted, the project logs are a main driver for many of us here, and I feel that being able to run on that site will be helpful in the future.

Lastly, please note my signature - I have been buying and PAINTING! - I will update with pics etc... once I know what I am doing.

Cheers,

Well... I think I'm going to try and salavage the thread.

Edit: If you are having trouble viewing the pictures let me know. I'm hosting on google photo now to try and save the pictures from future crashes etc..
    /Edit

If anyone wants me to re-upload I will certainly give it a go.

For now though here is the news:

Another Squad of Canadians was done and painted. Ok not a squad per-se but a group of 10 minis. Still counts!

Also, I damaged my wallet during hotlead and discovered a new game to spend money on:

I played a demo game of "Charlie Company" by RAFM miniatures (Canadian mini co!) 20mm/1:72 scale Vietnam. The game was a lot of fun and had some interesting roleplay elements rolled in. It is very much a scenario driven, GM vs. game. The upshot of this was that the game went very quickly as there were not 'can i shoot?' you do what the GM says. all the NVA/Vietcong were controlled by the GM and were very much reactive (The scenario sets up the NVA battleplan, and forces players to adjust). It was a lot of fun and made me realize how fun the era could be to play. The mini's were a great deal as well. I spent around 35$ CAD for these guys and I get 64 20mm pewter figures - Amazing deal!

I also was looking at the rules "Charlie don't surf" by too fat lardies - a vietnam adaptation for Chain of command. Of course there is always Force on Force, or Ambush Alley as well.

Either way, Vietnam will be done with my group in 1:72/20mm - My Future father in law even gave me a 1:72 scale Huey to use with them!

Which reminds me - I'm getting married this summer! (Fiancee was a little peeved that this wasn't plog worthy earlier, but in my defense I hadn't painted...)

Lastly, I also got a game of battletech in during hotlead, and instead of a participation ribbon we were all given participation mini's!

I will end with a sneak peek of whats next:

Autocannons!

C&C welcome as always!
    Last edited by Kisanis; 13-04-2016 at 00:40. Reason: My horrible grammar

So I've taken a small break from the Autocannons.

In a weeks time, I am running a demo game of Bolt Action - For which I am massively unprepared. The lists are made, but the Canadians are about half done (Playable) and my Fallschirmjaeger a nice metallic pewter paint scheme...

The biggest sticking point however, is my german vehicles. The list calls for a Puma and a Panzer IV; two models I've had for a while on sprues in a box.
    I've decided its time to build them! (While watching the force awakens on Blu-Ray!)

Behold my progress for 2 nights of building!
    IMG_20160429_224656 by Kisanis

The turret still needs to be built for the P IV, but I'm happy with the outcome.
    (Also, I'm back on Flickr, please let me know if the pics work better)

Small review time - These are my first plastic tanks by Warlord. I am a huge fan of their infantry kits, and was excited to see how this goes. Moreover, the Panzer IV kit is a pure Warlord kit, the Puma is a Warlord/Italeri Kit.

IMG_20160428_203918 by Kisanis, on Flickr

The Italeri/Warlord Puma definitely had the nicer mold. The unit came in a sealed pack and the kit just had a better quality feel to the details. Very little mold line correction needed.
    The biggest downside was the complexity - It felt like what many say it is... a scale model beefed up for wargaming.

For example, take a look at the complexity of the suspension:
    IMG_20160428_203926 by kisanis, on Flickr

While it is detailed... I'm not sure I needed to glue individual tie-rods onto an 8 wheeled 1:56 wargaming piece. A simplified underbelly with some slight detail loss would have been acceptable. I'm sure most gamers agree - detail is nice, but detail for details sake can make assembly frustrating and slow.

The Panzer IV definetly is the 'Simplified' kit of the two. And they have done just what I suggested for the Puma... Simplify the suspension:

PUMA:
    IMG_20160429_230546 by Kisanis, on Flickr

Panzer IV
    IMG_20160429_230602 by Kisanis, on Flickr

Each side of the P4's suspension and track components consist of 5 pieces - 10 pieces total for the whole track and suspension.
    The Puma was 3 per wheel - 24 finicky pieces for the whole thing.

Where the Puma makes no sense though, is that they go through all this trouble to make the underside look so good and detailed... but they halb-arsch the tires! Take another look; they hollow cast the tires! So even if it does show its underside... you'll see this great detail, and these goofy looking wheels. I just don't get it.

I'd give the Puma a 3.5/5 losing out for complexity and the tire issue
    The Panzer 4 is a 3/5 so far. I've got some gap issues, and the mold isn't as good quality for mold lines, but it is still quite good. (And i got it free when warlord was promoting 'buy the rulebook and get a free tank' so warlord customer service wins out)

After building a Rubicon Sherman, these guys just feel a few notches down in quality when compared. That Rubicon Sherman would be a 4 or even 4.5/5 in comparison.
    I definitely will make rubicon my first choice plastic kit for whatever ww2 army next catches my fancy (*Cough*Ostfront*cough*)

Sadly these vehicles likely won't see paint until the summertime at best, I want the Fallschirmjaegers to be a well painted historical list; but sadly 'doing it right' and 'doing it quickly' never coincide.

C&C welcome; Let me know how the pictures go and if Flickr works over google Photo.

Cheers!

I'd never really noticed Warlord Games vehicles before. I had a vague awareness of the Bolt Action minis from seeing Killshot's log here in the randoms but had never really looked into them any further.
    What scale are the vehicles?
    How do they compare to 40k? I'm always looking out for stuff that could be modded for GoMo.

Nice work on them tho!

For pictures I use Picturetrail and have never had any issues in nearly 10 years.
    Check out my log of random things here.
    Currently painting Iyanden Eldar

Hi Boymilla.

True 28mm is 1:56 scale.
    Warhammer is heroic 28mm which is everywhere from 1:56-1:32

If you plan on converting for 40k, you're gonna wanna go bigger. The vehicles just look too small next to GW's bulk.

The panzer IV looks almost half the size of a rhino for example.

I can compare to my Guard later to show the differences.

So I got more prep work done for my Bolt Action demo this weekend:

IMG_20160502_230030 by Kisanis, on Flickr

PIV is done to a playable level! Going to stop here for painting purposes also. These guys won't get painted until i figure out airbrushing...

I also was in my FLGS picking up bases when I saw something helpful...

IMG_20160502_230436 by Kisanis, on Flickr

The price is a steal. That is about 2/3rds the cost of equivelent 4ground. 4 ground may be slightly more detailed... but for my purposes this is fantastic.
    So I got another...

IMG_20160502_230526 by Kisanis, on Flickr

Finished pics for those interested:

IMG_20160502_231053 by Kisanis, on Flickr
    IMG_20160502_231116 by Kisanis, on Flickr

Base that can be used as a ruin!
    IMG_20160502_231134 by Kisanis, on Flickr
    IMG_20160502_231333 by Kisanis, on Flickr
    IMG_20160502_231340 by Kisanis, on Flickr
    IMG_20160502_231406 by Kisanis, on Flickr

I'm really impressed with this stuff. PlastCraft has made a great product for the cost. I may look at touching up, but for now I say this is great - easily work the money I paid.

I also built some fences from popsicle sticks and dowel. Pics to follow later. Here's hoping the demo game plays as well as it looks!

Thanks for the scale info, I always get mixed up.

Those Plast Craft buildings look great, love the internal detailing.
    Like you say, may be a good idea to paint in the edges but no rush on that, I'm sure they will look fantastic on the tabletop.
    Check out my log of random things here.
    Currently painting Iyanden Eldar

Yea, i'm certain I can make the buildings look better with some clever painting, but for now it looks great as is.

More pics to come!

I'm baaaaack.

So now that everything seems to be up and running and somewhat stable again. I suppose its time to post some updates!
    Good news? I've been painting. bad news? I haven't been documenting it.

So, my friends and I have done something crazy - We signed up for an 1850 pts 40k tournament!
    This means I have about 3 months to paint more Imperial Guard than I have painted in the last 5-10 years.

This is no small undertaking! I will take some pictures and update as much as I can.

I'm going to re-read through some of my posts from before the great blackout and try to update where able.

Thanks all!

So my tournament list is as follows:

== Primary Detachment: AM Combined Arms Detachment ==

HQ1: Company Command Squad Chimera (65pts) Lord Castellan Creed WARLORD (80pts) Officer of the Fleet (20pts) Veteran Lascannon Team (20pts) [245pts]

ELITE1: 4 Ratlings (40pts) [40pts]

FAST1: Vendetta Squadron (170 pts) [170pts]

HS1: Leman Russ Battle Tank (160) [160pts]
    HS2: Leman Russ Battle Tank (160) [160pts]
    HS3: Leman Russ Battle Tank (160) [160pts]

TROOPS1: 10 Veterans (60pts), Forward Sentries (10pts), Bolter (1pt), Veteran Missle Launcher Team (15pts) [86pts]
    TROOPS2: 10 Veterans (60pts), Forward Sentries (10pts), Veteran Missle Launcher Team (15pts) [86pts]

=Formation: Emperors Shield Infantry Platoon=
    Infantry Platoon [664pts]:
    Heavy Weapons Squad (40pts) 3 Autocannons (3x10) [75pts],
    Heavy Weapons Squad (40pts) 3 Autocannons (3x10) [75pts],
    Heavy Weapons Squad (40pts) 3 Mortars (3x5) [60pts]

Infantry Squad (50pts), 1 Autocannon Team (10pts), 1 Meltagun (10pts), Sgt. With Plasma Pistol (15pts) [85pts]
    Infantry Squad (50pts), 1 Autocannon Team (10pts), 1 Meltagun (10pts), Sgt. With Plasma Pistol (15pts) [85pts]
    Infantry Squad (50pts) Meltagun (10pts), Sgt. With Plasma Pistol (15pts) [75pts]
    Infantry Squad (50pts) Meltagun (10pts), Sgt. With Plasma Pistol (15pts) [75pts]

Platoon Command Squad (30pts) Missle Launcher Team (15pts) Krak Grenads for squad (4pts) [49pts]

Scout Sentinel Squadron (35pts) Missle Launcher (5pts) [40pts]
    Scout Sentinel Squadron (35pts) Missle Launcher (5pts) [40pts]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

I'll have some army pics and my to do list up next. Right now my prioroty is hitting a 3 colour minimum of base colours (brown, grey, skintone) and making everything wysywig and based.

Then it becomes about making things prettier.

Currently needing to get about 30 infantry to that 3 colour minimum.

The whole point of the tourney is to have fun. My hope is to get great reviews for being a fun opponent.

The tourney is alsp licensed. So my only hope of winning is to buy a lot of beer for my opponent.

Also, I have 1 month to finish everything.

Fingers crossed.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

So we ran a practice tourny game at a local gameshop.

It went well for us (we didnt come last!).

I did better than expected in some regards and worse in others.

Below is some pics courtesy of Ironhandgotz.
    Shows you the current status of my forces!

Imperial Gunline holdong vs. Nids on my first round.

Imperial Gunline holdimg against a decurian Marine force (my autocannons at those rhinos)

Trying to hold out vs. Some nasty double deathstar Chaos (I got slaughtered and almost tabled)

Overall i learned a lot about where the game is for people who take it more seriously than I do - and that those people can still be fun opponents despite their gamey netlists. (I lose gracefully)

I also will be glad to take a break from 40k when this is all done - other armies, other hobbies, real life, there is so much more to work on!

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast