Thread: ASSASSINAWOKEN's Terrain Log

ASSASSINAWOKEN's Terrain Log

A few weeks ago I had an idea to pull out all the assorted terrain and battlefield accessories and make terrain out of them all with different ideas and combinations in mind.

I am currently working on two different terrain pieces.

A Gothic Ruin terrain piece and a Ruined Building terrain piece

The first Gothic Ruin is using some of GW's old Gothic ruin sprues along with an assortment of battlefield accessories such barriers and razor wire.

The second is using some of GW's old foam ruined buildings. I also plan to use other battles accessories such as tank traps. Does anyone remember these or know of anyone willing to part with one set?

Gothic Ruin Progress

The first step was to saw, cut, and trim down the Gothic ruins so I could make tow sets which match. One set would be the outer set of ruins while one set would be the inner set of ruins. When placing the ruins I was puzzled as to where a door would had been, but decided to go against an outer door and make ruins some sort of holding cell. Hidden trap doors would be the only way in or out.

So the current setup looks like this.

This terrain piece will support regular and maybe medium size infantry units. Large units will most likely be blocked along with vehicles.

Ruined Building progress

I tried to use the smaller section as an upper story, but I was not liking it at all. I asked my fiance for an opinion and she changed the arrangement and I like her interpretation much better. The entrance was kept in a corner, but trimmed down a bit further.

So the current setup looks like this.

This terrain piece will support regular and medium size infantry units and perhaps large. Vehicles will be blocked.

Currently weather is not allowing me to spray paint. Plus I am wondering if the 1/8 inch Birchwood for the base will be sufficient and not warp compared to hardboard which I have not found locally yet.

Let me know what you think as I proceed.

My next steps are

Undercoat Gothic Ruin sprues
    Undercoat Ruined Building pieces manually
    Decide on bottom floor (Birchwood) undercot black only or undercoat black and add a layer or textur (Fine Ballast) which I will need to get some more of.
    Last edited by ASSASSINAWOKEN; 19-06-2011 at 19:51.

Re: ASSASSINAWOKEN's Terrain Log

Progress Update for Ruined Building

I painted the Birchwood base and Ruined Building parts and glued them to the base. I also added a layer of textured paint to the Birchwood base around the Ruined Building parts.

It is dark so I will need to get a better picture.

looking good so far man. are you going to flock or gravel the entire base?
    The 75th Logres Prime Ice Drakes:
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96543

So far I gave it a coat of textured paint. Black hobby paint miced with fine ballast. I do have medium or course ballast as well. I am wondering how to use the medium ballast along with the Gal Force 9 concrete rubble mixture tubs together to give a really good ruined look.

I'll have to try some test runs I suppose.

I have some of that gale force nice stuff. Its good, some of it is big though. And requires better glue than PVA, maybe wood glue to really adhere to surfaces.

Progress Update for Ruined Building

I flocked the Ruined Building using a mixture of fine and course ballast. I added some barricades and then re-flocked with a mixture of fine and course ballast as well as bits of concrete rubble mix.

I can start painting some portions today. Removing the excess sand is beoming a nightmare.

Thats looking good man!

Never seen the GW foam terrain before, Ziterdes does similar stuff.

I do not know much of 40k but it looks good so far, I certainly hope you go for lots of detail.

Working within a box when glueing sand on, keeps it of the floor and you can brush excess off into the box as well.
    I drench my sand on the base with acrylic wall paint (diluted 1:1) twice to get what I glued on to stay on. When dry-brushing other colours on later a few bits will get rubbed away, but what stays is very stable and will not come off easily.
    my general project thread

[2016] painted: 24, added to my collection after sales and trades: 5
    [2017] painted: 25, added to my collection after sales and trades: -127

Progress Report

Started dry brushing the building and surrounding soil and rubble

Painted the oil drums, not sure if I am 100% happy so far, I used dark green and then the light green foundation colors

Painted watered down boltgun metal on the barricades then applied a wash of badab black and a wash of ogryn flesh. They look lightly bloody/rusted, but nice.

Tell me what you think.

Thats looking good man. I like the green barrels I think the contrast is nice.

Looks good.

Do not be afraid to brush a bit over the barrels while finishing the floor. Also a wash and some chipping does wonders.
    my general project thread

[2016] painted: 24, added to my collection after sales and trades: 5
    [2017] painted: 25, added to my collection after sales and trades: -127

Long time and no update. I now have an update.

Here is what I have done so far since I stopped working on this awhile back.

In brief I have worked on the sand bags and rusting any exposed metal, weaponry, and other assorted debris. I Still want to add some rusted razor wire over the barricades.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	959.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	135274

Here I have experimented with rust weathering pigments on one of the barricades.

Name:	960.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	135275

Here I have experimented with rust weathering pigments on the barrels. The rust gave them just the needed touch of increase age. An aded bonus effect is the ability to make rust drainage or stains.

Name:	963.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	135276

Although the picture is not as clear as I wanted this shows the proposed positioning of the battlefield debris. The idea is the weaponry was left when the position was run over and everything was left as is to rot and rust away. I may need to tone down the rust a bit on the ammo boxes. The Heavy Stubbers I am pleased with.

Name:	978.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	135277

This is the proposed position for the Missile Launcher which has not has rust added yet. There are also details in the terrain which need work.

Name:	972.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	135278

This is the outer view of the proposed positioning for the Heavy Stubbers. The weapon on the right will have a small rusted belt of ammunition still unused attached to it.

Name:	971.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	135279

What do you think? Any thoughts on positioning. (Does it look abandoned?) Do you think adding the random skull or two would be characterful for the 40K universe or do you think it would not have a place?
    Last edited by ASSASSINAWOKEN; 14-03-2012 at 01:23.

I think the rust is very effective. Its subtle, but well done. I do think it looks abandoned. I do not think the skull is required, but could add some flavor.

Needs brown/pigment washes all over the place. Terrain is never merely a grey-shade. Then sparsely some algae and moss growth on particular sides of the buildings. Usually in streaks as they grow on moisture dripping down.

What I really think is necessary in urban terrain is paper trash. Faded, ruined torn-off or graffiti'd over propaganda posters and the ground littered with pamphlets. What this illustrates is social instability, civil war and political struggles before the entire sector went into a full blown civil war.

A few plucks of brown/yellow or black grass would also help.
    Last edited by Tokamak; 02-11-2012 at 12:49.
    Quote Originally Posted by 0604854 View Post
    the future is another question