Intended to get this one done this weekend but forgot about the F1GP. Large amounts of Dip + Tortillas and Beer got in the way, so PDF is going to be another week. Sorry
Anyway, the Tyranids Codex has a lot of issues. It's commonly regarded as the worst of the new codex releases with large numbers of unnecessary nerfs, illogical rules and conflicts with base game mechanics that harm them further.
The intent of this Codex re-write is to:
- Give 'dead end' models/options into some reason to take them.
- Rebalance the army so that it better fits it's fluff in playstyle.
- Make upgrades/options on units priced effectively to open up variety.
- Synapse Creatures have eternal warrior.
- Models within Synapse range have a 4+ save vs wounds caused by combat resolution After all other saves.
- Heavy venom cannon is a Str 9, 2 shot weapon.
- Venom cannon is a Str 7, 2 shot weapon.
- Monstrous Creatures upgraded with poison wound on 2+
- Models with Spinefists count as having frag grenades.
- Warrior Sprinefists are a 2 shot, Str 4, AP4 weapon, 12" range
- Heavy Spinefists are a 4 shot, Str 5, AP 3 weapon, 18" range.
- Hive Tyrant rebalanced. Does not start with Psychic powers, may take 3rd edition 'Warp Field' making winged Tyrants viable again.
- Doom of Malantai entirely rewritten. Becomes a debuff/anti psyker unit that extends range/power with each wound. Soul sucking now works as a weapon in the shooting phase with no cover saves, str Vs enemy Ld. Can be used in close combat.
- Tervigon is no longer a Psyker, has extended Synapse range for Termagants, Hormagaunts. No longer grants AG/Poison to units within range, instead grants them to units it spawns. 'Onslaught' is an ability it can grant to one Termagant unit per turn.
- Catalyst power given to the Hive Tyrant.
- Hive Tyrant powers that force a Ld test now have 'Ld test at -2' making them actually worthwhile.
- Paroxism can be used in close combat.
- Pyrovore fire now works like a Hellhound shot.
- Lictors no longer work as broods, bought as units of up to 3 that can be placed independently can assault on turn deployed, 'suprise attack' gives him a 3+ inv save for the first turn of combat. 'Evasive' means that I1 attacks can only hit him on a 6.
- Venomthropes no longer work as broods, bought as units of up to 3, are independent characters.
- Tyranid Prime can take a Ravener body or a Shrike body. Both options reduce armour save to 5+
- Base price of Termagant reduced to 3 points. Spinefists are free, Devourer changed to Light Devourer, str 3, 2 shots, range 18", 2 points.
- Base price of Hormagaunt reduced to 4 points, Hormagaunts can take flesh hooks for +1 point.
- Genstealers can take flesh hooks for +1 point.
- Infantry models with Fleet gain the 'press of numbers' ability. Allowing them to consolodate into combat with enemy units if they roll 3D6 lower than the number of models remaining in the brood, including when they kill vehicles.
- Warriors can take leaping. No boneswords options with leaping.
- Ripper Swarms no-longer eat themselves. Are immune to instant death, still suffer from swarms (as all swarms should frankly)
- Mawloc Attacks increased to 4.
- Trygon hole rules entirely changed. May choose to deploy first turn, models in reserve declare 'deploying by burrowing'. Deploying by Trygon hole allows you to assault. If the hole is blocked or unavailable for any reason,burrowing units with the exception of Raveners must roll on the Deep Strike Mishap table. If 'delayed' they instead deep strike immediately per the normal rules, when deep striking this turn they count as being in dangerous terrain and count as pinned. This represents them clawing their way out of the earth somewhere else. Raveners deepstrike as normal.
- Carnifex base price dropped by 40 points.
- Tyrannofex base price dropped by 30 points.
- Tyranids are inexplicably immune to any psychic power with the word 'wolf' in it.