Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: -= The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar =-

Re: -= The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar =-

Yes it works! Looks really good this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lybban View Post
    Yes it works! Looks really good this!
    Yes I agree, it works. They look really cool.

Really nice Chaos Dwarfs, especially that brilliantly sinister unit with the glowing eyes, looking forward to seeing that finished. Nice sculpting on the hobgoblins as well, the cheek guards work. Are you planing on making more with that style of helmet or just the champion?

Finaly I've got enough time to read this excellent backround of Your army. I love it, and your sketches, and your unit fillers, and glowing eyes, everything here from concept to execution is very well done!
    One word of citicism is about the colour of a gnoblar, he is nearly invisible on his base, maybe some brighter colour for skin?

Anyway...keep the great work!
    My Bretonnians , my AoS stuff, my other stuff, and my terrains

... and my blog: Nerdworkshop

Don't worry be Happy!

Chapter Master Karak Norn Clansman's Avatar

@Lybban: Thank you! Several people over at CDO, who're quite aware of their Hobgoblins, think the helmet doesn't fit. I'm sure the cheek guard is a major factor, so I've removed it and will go for ordinary hat flaps instead. Still, it was fun to sculpt that cheek guard.

@Fle: Thanks!

@MeanJellyBean: Thank you kindly! There'll only be one such helmet in the kit, so I'll have to make sure it works well enough alongside the soft hats to be useful for ordinary Hobgoblins. The champion will receive a tall hat with double pairs of horns.

@GrainWeevil: Thank you very much! I've always liked logs which deliver painting, conversions and background, so I thought I'd try to catch all three. You might also see battle reports in the future now that I've finally got ahold of a camera.

The Gnoblar is actually even harder to see in reality, but I've always had a special way to paint Gnoblar skin. Add to that some black wash to his hands and legs to simulate ash and dirt. It's gritty, but I kinda like it. I'm not sure if it's good or bad that you have to look a little closer to see the Gnoblar, but it seem a bit appropriate for the lowliest of slaves. :chrome:

Very well! Today gets a mini-update due to an experiment with the rearside of a hat and the Thracian helmet. From left to right we have Thracian helmet (now with skull, not scanable from front), a complete boar tusk helmet with head only missing ears, a hat with reworked backside and a stage 2 champion head.

Do the reworked softhat have a better line/profile than most of the previous ones? JMR was kind enough to voice his concern about its unsatisfying, diagonal backside. Which was a concern I had shared since sculpting the hats in the first place.

Oh, and the new camera have arrived. Perhaps I'll have time to become devoted to its machine spirit tomorrow.

Original planning for the project

When Bloodbeard asked me or Rozmax to sculpt a kit of Phrygian hat Hobgoblin heads I quickly came to jump on the bandwagon as I saw ways to develop the old style further. It had comical Phrygian caps and the distinctive Hobgoblin faces. Variety in headgear was achieved with stitches, studs and leader hats.

What do you get from this? A certain ancient look which went quite well along with the CDs of the time. So besides my own, rugged version of the iconic softhats (stitches, patches and studs planned) which had already appeared on two Hobgoblins in my own army I saw two pieces of head protection which would enforce the ancient look and fit in somewhat with the overall style due to their shape.

One was the Phrygian/Thracian helmet due to its resemblance of the textile headgear. Rabble units like Hobgoblins benefit from some variation within limits, and chucking in a helmet was appealing. It's easy to paint it in the same colours as the hats, after all, if one prefer a more unified look.

The same goes for the boar tusk helmet from the Bronze Age. Its silhouette fit in with the sneaky git look and reinforced that archaic look of the heads.

Besides the hats I was also attracted by the chance to sculpt a knife clenched between teeth and a fake nose like on HBO's Rome character Lysandros, both of which seemed fitting for the infighting and spirit of Hobgoblins. Bandage and eye patch is in the same vein.

I hope these variants will turn out satisfactory for the collectors in the end, because they were really what pulled me in besides the chance to try sculpting for casting and get cast Hobgobbo heads of my own.

It's faster to sculpt 10 than 80 heads! :hat off

Of course, I'll have to experiment to make the Thracian helmet fit in well enough. It'll get cloth/leather hat flaps like the rest, fastened in rings. I've also bulked up the protrusion and added a skull to its end.

Hopefully it goes well enough along with the rest of the hats. Helmet pictured belongside the hats with reworked backsides. One of them is still a bit diagonal and quite flat besides the folds, but I'm content to leave it as a remnant of the prototype look.

Do the helmet work better alongside the hats now?

Progress shot. Hat backsides fixed. Some ears and some details not visible on the scanner pictures added. Boar's tusk helmet head and soft hat sneaky git head finished bar ball joint throat.

Adjusted scan picture. Some detail got through, so the harsh contrast could be avoided here:

Got the equipment for using the camera now. I've experimented some this evening (though the heads turned out too tricky to take an up-front group shot of), which means an awaited update on non-heads stuff. I'll try to improve picture quality in future.

Chaos gang, featuring a sheep from the bagage train (fresh meat!), a digging Gnoblar, a Hobgoblin taskmaster and Feth the Flyface, a once human ally of the Red Host. The latter is part of a friend's army and was converted by me from plastic sprue bits, wall filler, superglue and green stuff. Staff must get more bling.

Skin grotesque included for size comparison. Background texts will be added when the war machines of these crew markers are completed.

Rajah Dasamejri was once the bright star amongst the leaders of northern Ind, both a talented poet, master fencer and experimental metallurgist attempting to advance the Indan mastery of steel-making. His army of twenty thousand men counted dozens of cannons, several mystic wizards and seventy elephants, including bagage train animals used to clear paths through the thick jungles. A husband of nine and father of thirty at the age of thirty six, the man was destined to be remembered as one of the great lords of Ind.

Dasamejri was succesful in his campaigns against rival neighbours, Greenskins and feral children of Chaos. In commemoration of his victories he began to construct a triumphal arch of yellow marble roofed by three onion domes. Yet all his glory, all his resources and all his skill proved to be worth nil when weird, stunted men destroyed his coastal patrol dhows and made landfall but seven miles from his stronghold.

These bearded worshippers of a fell Chaos god of fire quickly entrenched their position instead of advancing immediately inland. This proved an efficient strategy as the forces of the local Rajah Dasamejri converged on the invaders and begun to lay siege to their fort.

The besiegers' artillery was suddenly blasted apart by prepared volleys of hellfire and Daemon-rockets. Under the cover of smoke, the cacophony of panic and confusion, the Chaos Dwarfs of the Red Host of Nir-Kezhar advanced from their positions in columns, spreading out in a bulls-horn battleline with cavalry and Daemon-engines on the flanks. The order to advance was sounded by agony screams from a Goblin slave being mutilated by sorcerous acolytes.

Rajah Dasamejri had however regained control of his shocked men. Closing ranks, the warriors of Ind marched out to meet the enemy, a wedge of elephants at the army's centre. The leading beast was the royal war elephant of the ruler, and on it Dasamejri beckoned his men forward, leading the thundering advance into what looked like a foe out of hell. Archers drew arrows to loose whilst handgunners ran forward and kneeled in firing ranks. Their Chaos Dwarf counterparts did likewise.

The scene was set for a great battle which could have swung any way, but such a thing was not to be. Out of the smoky skies dove a winged monster bull with a short warrior on its back. The men of Ind barely had time to register what happened as the diving Bale Taurus crashed horns-first into the general's elephant, crushing both rider and mount into pulp on the dry plain.

A drawn-out moment of silent horror ruled the battlefield for what seemed an hour to the stunned defenders. Then the leaderless rout began as panic set in, encouraged by fearsome sights in the Dawi Zharr ranks. Regiment after regiment fled before the stampeding foe. The day turned into utter carnage as bloodshed and slave hunts began, followed by looting and burning before a withdrawal within three days.

The mangled corpse of Rajah Dasamejri was recovered and flayed by the Chaos Dwarfs after the battle. Skilled craftsmen treated the skin to make it endure the test of time like leather, and then it was drawn and tied to two flat metal poles forming the silhouette of a bull's head. The warlord's tounge was hung on a string and his skull stuck on a short pole alongside the grotesque and a cuneiform stone boasting about his demise.

To this day, the Red Host of Nir-Kezhar employs a slave gang to constantly dig up and dig down again the sadistic decoration as the army travels to new battlefields, the fear it inspires as much a weapon as any axe.

"Darkness be. The ashes of humiliation have been swallowed. The preparations have been made. The sacrifices are ready. Let the ritual of binding commence.

I, Merhanzibul Eyegouger, son of Grazhik and Aekra of clan Himzhul, summon thee.

I, who am the Dark Father's slave and fodder, summon high god Hashut as judge of this ritual.

Oh, you Lord of fire and greed. I prostrate myself before your idol. May you accept this mutilation sacrifice of a live thrall's limb. My dedication is yours. Your fire devour!

I, most craven of creatures, summon the three vigilant Daemons of myth, Urnak, Irzak and Mralfubaal, as witnesses of this ritual.

Hear me, see me, know me, heinous watchers. Receive this rune-scarring sacrifice upon the whipped backs of three thralls. Drink deep of it as payment for your service.

Yet beware, Daemonkin, for my kin owns your souls and possess everlasting mastery of your fickle bodies. Vigiliance be mutual. You may not betray, lie or close your eyes to this ritual. Your humiliation endures!

I, who am but a slave to darkness, invoke the power of the sorcerous wards and obsidian cages, and beseech thee to enslave and trample the living will out of your victim. May this splattering of thrall blood guide hunger.

I, blacksmith of Chaos, reach into the mysteries beyond matter and spirit and calls out to the Daemon known as Lugg-Hazh and command you thrice to answer my summoning!

Answer! Answer! Answer!

I, breaker of backs, crusher of heads, see you, mighty Lugg-Hazh. Your name is known to me and your name is written on this cage which now falls onto your strong form and traps it.

In the name of Hashut the Father of Darkness I hereby cripple and enslave your being into a bound existence in ash and chains. Hear my nine commandments!

You will not betray your masters.

You will not rebel against your masters.

You will not protest against your masters.

You will not lie to your masters.

You will not refuse your masters' will.

You will not destroy the property of your masters.

You will not plot against your masters.

You will not escape from your masters.

You will not seek vengeance against your masters.

Know that my lord Sorcerer-Prophet Nir-Kezhar is now your first master. Know that I, enslaver of souls, is now your second master. Know that the Red Host is now your third master. Know that your masters are now Dawi Zharr.

Heed our will, Lugg-Hazh. Carry our burdens and swallow our foes.

You will know the cruelty of torture and the ashes of humiliation as punishment should you fail in your tasks. You will know the drink of blood and the food of flesh should you succeed in your tasks.

Rise, slave, and be forever our slave.

I, bringer of sacrifices, end this ritual which Hashut has judged and the three Daemons of myth have witnessed. Darkness be."

- Binding of the Daemon Lugg-Hazh

It's not such a completely mad unit filler if you think of Chaos on the one hand, and the greed of Chaos Dwarfs on the other. You need somewhere to store those precious objects when on campaigns.

Preferably something that bite.

Painting in progress gobbo gallows:

Some WIP Warmachine support crew. The Hobgoblin will if possible wack people with his knife from the Iron Daemon:

With camera at hand we also have a blurry front and rear picture of the Thracian helmet head. Not good, but it shows the skull if nothing else.

Demands from friends and family means I'll have little opportunity for serious sculpting work for the rest of this week, but before the end of next week everything should be finished on the heads if the schedule don't jumble itself again.

Great stuff! Love the background stuff, gives your miniatures and fillers even more character! Keep it up yo
    Looking to get back into Warhammer Fantasy in the Amsterdam Area! Hit me up!

Brother Sergeant commander_panda's Avatar

Superb stuff!

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

Another great part of backgroud, love it!!
    My Bretonnians , my AoS stuff, my other stuff, and my terrains

... and my blog: Nerdworkshop

Don't worry be Happy!

@Griffonclaw: Thank you! Updates might become more scarce after the heads are finished since I've promised to help my brother with his Elves then.

@commander_panda: Thank you kindly!

@Grain Weevil: Thanks! I hope to deliver more in the same vein in the future.

We did have a little progress yesterday, ladies and gentlemen. Sorry for the out of bonds accident with the background paper, but I'd rather sculpt more than retake the shots.

I guess we could call this Yodrin's head, since he voiced a demand for a third "flat heagear" head:

Then this would be torn's and Fuggit Khan's head:

Front picture of the fake nose head. I tried to make the face look a bit mangled and twisted due to the beating which got the nose. The hat is also not aligned that straight and symmetric with the head:

And then something of a knife clenched between teeth special, showing this particular head from four angles now that it is pretty much finished bar ball joint throat. This is primarily for Bloodbeard to look at for danger zones for the casting on the sides of the head. Please point out any areas which could prove an enemy of the mould.

Thank you all for the great feedback! It sure helps speed up the process.

Sculpting continues with the heads, but for a while now there'll be nothing to show but more hat flaps and the two new heads' stages. Weekend will be busy.

So before this lapse in updates I'll leave you with this basic pointer for how the stitching was done. It's not a tutorial, but it's almost too simple to warrant a tutorial. For the purpose we have a head with half its stitches finished, the other side is still all loopholes.

First we make a hat and slice a separation between the halves with a sharp knife. Then mark out the loopholes with generous needle punches:

Then apply the stitches. Carve them down to size to avoid fat look and try to smooth them down into the loopholes in a way which looks a bit natural:

That's all!

Great work as always. The flayed man looks awesome now that it's painted. The glowing runes look very effective and once again your background makes for an entertaining read

I'm no sculptor so I can't help you with any mould concerns etc. but I will say that I think the heads are looking really really really good. The detail and character on each of the heads is superb.

Finally, I love Rincewind's sapient pearwood Luggage chest

Absolutely amazing stuff. I especially love the flayed body.

.... but what really made me smile was the Hobgoblin ...... he should be singing "Can't touch this!"
    Founding father of J.A.D.E.D. Jerks Against Directors Extraordinary Decisions.
    My Project Log "This week I have mostly been painting ...."
    My other log of Vintage stuff: "A Blast from the Past"
    You might also like: "'Ere be Giants"

@Fle: Thank you very much!

@Harry: Now that's an honour to read it from you. The Hobgobbo is now officially singing that. Thank you kindly!

Sorry for the image inconvenience. It might repeat itself if I can't find a good album with single-payment upgrades to bandwidth and storage. Monthly payments are out of the question.

Weekend was busy, but progress should continue to the finish this week. We've got horns on the champion head now:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 27.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	192264

Are they good enough? Ideas and critiscism are welcome as always.

Oh man! I really want to see the images above that head now...

The horns are fine - much more in line with early 90s strangeness. Their shapes also complement the shape of the helmet (hat?) and nose... going for generally 'rounded' profiles is probably the best.

Now I really wish there were decent hobgoblin sculpts around... I always liked that they were just essentially just vicious, stabby cowards. Also the vaguely Mongolian thing. Also it made sense that there would be something 'man sized' between an Orc and a Gobbo. But mostly just the stabbiness and general bastardy.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

@Dr. Clock: Thank you! The images should be available when April turns to May if I understood Photobucket correctly. I also like the Hobgoblins in Warhammer for all those reasons you listed, plus the CD-serving Hobgobbos status as elite slaves. Later on there might be Mongol-style heads in the pipeline. Cheers!

Work progress. A lot of hat flaps got sculpted yesterday, but they're not that interesting to warrant pictures. Instead we have images of a fresh top skull I tried to sculpt on the Hobgoblin hat. This was a planned feature, but I'm not sure it's right. Sorry for the fingers, it's a bugger to get a passable arc.

Do the skull work on the champion hat? I've corrected some of the flaws like bottom-heavy since taking the picture.

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 28.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	192313

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 29.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	192314

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 30.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	192315

Also progress on Yodrin's head. Best picture of a series of blurs. Missing rivets, leather flaps, tusks and ears. Is the helmet too low?

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 31.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	192316

Quick update before I'm off to work. Does this broken bone look good enough? Does it work with the hat? Bear in mind it will be fastened to the hat if it makes the cut.

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 32.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	192317

Further updates. Studs and other details added. Beginning with the cap helmet.

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 33.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	192370

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 34.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	192371

Following with the finished Phrygian helmet head, bar ball throat joint.

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 35.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	192372

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 36.jpg 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	192373

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 37.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	192374

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 38.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	192375

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 39.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	192376

Then the similarly finished stud head, if no flaws are detected.

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 40.jpg 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	192377

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 41.jpg 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	192378

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 42.jpg 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	192379

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 43.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	192380

In turn followed by finished bandage head. Camera ran out of battery before further shots could be taken.

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 44.jpg 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	192381

And finished eyepatch head.

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 45.jpg 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	192382

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 46.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	192383

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 47.jpg 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	192384

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 48.jpg 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	192386

And finally a second attempt at emblem for the head. Arrow and lightning bolts this time around.

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 49.jpg 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	192387

Name:	Frygierhuvuden 50.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	192388

What do you think?

I think that if your gaming is as good as your sculpting, you'ld render all grand tournaments pointless. Karak Norn Clamsman! No competition exists!*

*except maybe lew's ogres. Damn, now I want to organise a sculpt-off...

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast