Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: -= The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar =-

Chapter Master Karak Norn Clansman's Avatar

Re: -= The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar =-

@SpanielBear: Woah, thanks a lot! I'm an amateur sculptor with faces and details as specialties. Things like proportions and symmetry aren't as good, and I'm sure any collectors will notice this if and when we manage to get these heads cast. My gaming is in fact infamously poor and also struck by ill fortune (about 7 1s on 9 dice is not an unusual occurrence), though not for armour saves for some reason. I usually ends up fighting with my mates for the last spot on tournaments.

Besides Lew there's also Tupavko and probably a host of other great sculptors on Warseer whose names elude me. Trust me, I'm not in the top tier around here!

A sculpt-off sounds fun and original. If the objective also was to get the sculpt cast and sold it would be even more tempting. Not for the money, since there's little to be made from it, but for fame and glory.

Right! The completion of the Swedish phase in the Joint Scandinavian Headcasting Venture draws to its conclusion. Only four hat flaps, three ear rings and ball joint throats left to do before send-off to the Danish casting phase, a.k.a. Bloodbeard.

This might be the last update before pictures of all twelve finished heads appear. For the record I've added a few strategic warts to some choice heads.

The champion head have received rivets. Are the rivets in the way of the forehead emblem on the hat/helmet?

Ladies and gentlemen! This last update from the Swedish department contains less pictures than planned, since many of the heads look pretty similar bar some stitches, ear rings and patches.

Instead we'll have a look at the Yodrin and Fuggit Khan heads, who'll receive a ball joint throat this evening and then be sent off to Denmark in the coming days. After that there's a few "highlights" for the sake of it.

Now is the time to point out any flaws, before it'll be too late to rectify it in the sculpts. Note that the ball joint throats are not really standardized nor designed to fit any particular plastic torso.

Bloodbeard will get the ball soon and run the moulding and casting of it on his log, though don't hold your breath for updates. I've had a "privilege" of exploiting some temporary unemployment time, now already past, and that sure made the project fo faster!

Picture time. Do you like the overall look of the heads?

Presumably last sculpting update. Note the off-center rivet have been corrected since the pictures were taken. These flaws always show up upon photography.

Awkward picture of the two round helmet heads.

The dirty dozen.

Let's hope we're able to cast these heads.

This log will lie dormant for some time as I focus on helping my brother and a friend of ours with their Elves. In the meanwhile here's a little sneak peek of the headtaker elite Chaos Dwarf unit.

Would you be interested in buying this Hobgoblin if it can get cast?

Attention! It's just a train rider sculpted for my own collection, so it hasn't got the careful sculpting invested in the heads. The hat could be improved upon like the head kit, but the scalemail is pretty much set, as is the face, the legs and the knife blade.

The weapon blade must be decorated with something in order to work, since it's such a primitive sculpt, but it could work with the right paintjob. I won't redo it. I will, on the other hand, try to sculpt the rest of the Hobgoblin carefully and add more details if there's enough interest from both collectors and the Danish department.

No ideas for price level, but view it as a character model in resin.

What do you think? Worth a shot?

Brother Sergeant commander_panda's Avatar

This hobgoblin looks a great basis for a mini, and indeed hopefully the start of more!

I applaud you! You have begun a very very ambitious project and your execution of it is amazing. The hobgobiln sculpts look fantastic and your unitfillers are ace. Keep it up!

Dang Brother, how could I miss this Thread!? Your Green stuff skills make me green with envy love it all!

Please more!

Edit: of course your army choice disgusts me and makes me wanna meet your Forces and crush them , just that we are clear :-P :-P :-P

I had to write down a grudge against myself just for looking at this vile stuff :-D
    Last edited by Theatralic; 17-05-2014 at 23:01.
    My OOP Dwarf Army

My Imperial Fists

The internet, where the men are men, the women are probably men, and the little girls are FBI agents.

Very nice, those head sculpts are awesome. You've got this "rough" style (not meaning a lack of detail or finesse) that reminds me of Simon Bisley and other 80's/90's cartoonists. A personal touch indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abaraxas View Post
    Acephale gets post of the month in my opinion :chrome:
    Quote Originally Posted by kenshin View Post
    it's true, anytime you can work masturbation into a post and still be on topic is instantly epic

Awwwwww yis.

Headtakers are brilliant, mate. Loving that tall hat, and the orc head in particular.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Wow, that is some awzm work there really inspiring work.( feeling bad for not commentating your work before)

Chapter Master

Holy moly Karak! How did I miss the resurgence of this thread? No matter, I've just gone through start to finish. Wow!
    Looking over at my Cathay Ogre now and feeling very sorry for myself.
    You know full well that I'm not a Chaos Dwarf collector, but is it too late to get in on one of those Hobgoblins? If you're casting that guy, sign me up for one! Would love to paint him. Like you say, the hat could use a little extra detailing, but I'm sure all of that stuff will happen as he progresses. He's shaping up to be really nice, and in a great pose too! Yes please!
    ON HIATUS - ROAD TRIPPING ROUND THE USA!
    MY ROAD TRIP BLOG

Follow me on Instagram: @miniature_lew

Tau Drop Troops Log <-- UPDATING REGULARLY
    My Ogre Maneater Log <-- UPDATING AT SOME POINT SOON MAYBE I PROMISE

Really love the Hobgoblin sculpts!

keep it up,

cheers,

Bra'tac
    Turn everything you have into a weapon and you'll never be defenceless.
    -Delaque operational Commandments from the book of lies.
    Mordheim-Quest Miniatures
    Mordheim-Quest Terrain

Wow man! The Hobgoblin heads look fantastic and are very charcterfull. I really like the fact that they actually have expressions on their faces.

Your unitfillers are great too, and very disgusting , must be scary to play against your army (in a good way)
    "If curiosity kills cats, we'd better
    We'd better teach the cat to fight back"

@commander panda: Thank you! There is indeed a small range planned with a Swedish caster. I'll keep you all updated on it.

@SAS: Thank you kindly, sir!

@Theatralic: Thank you, it's too kind of you! I too have written a grudge against myself, for working with these vile, corrupted traitors.

@Acephale: Thank you! Rough was what we aimed for. My style is probably very 90s in many regards, but then there are lots of things from the 90s I like.

@Dr.Clock: Thank you very much! A lot of working hours were invested in that great weapon horde. It seem to have payed off. With such a points-expensive unit there won't be space for much else in the army.

@Nohistor: Thanks! Don't feel bad, you can't be everwhere at once!

@Lew_b81: Thank you very much! That means a lot coming from a talented fellow like you. Check: "Ogre Man" (as a friend of mine calls you) comments. That's a landmark for the log. I wondered when you'd pop in here. Harry beat you to it, though.

Why would you feel sorry for yourself? That Cathayan Ogre of yours is a marvel WIP model. If you're lucky, you'll maybe get one Hobgobbo jumper on the house. Depends a bit on economics.

@Bra'tac: Thanks a lot!

@dutchwarlord: Thank you, it means a lot that you appreciate those details! I hope the mission of psychological warfare is accomplished then, because with my poor gaming I need every trick up the sleeve I can get to unsettle my opponents. But it's quite nice at the bottom rung of tournaments, too!

Right!

This log will still be on the slow burner (there are a lot of Elves to help my brother with!), but it seem it'll move forward at any rate. Here's a quick update. The first picture is of an old WIP sculpt which is for a friend's WoC/DoC army. It's based on the post-it sketch in the first post. I'll return to it someday.

Then we have a little work done on the Hobgobbo jumper's hat. Is this good enough?

Do you want a vest and/or a cape on the Hobgoblin?

Do the belt bits work? The plan is to have a separate sheath for the blade hanging by that knob.

What do you want the Hobgobbo to do with his right arm? Originally he'd just cling to a train, but I guess it's better if he hold another knife, shield or a severed head in the other hand. Give me a wishlist!

Also, here's the Sorcerer which got painted for Artisan's Contest XV's logo.

Comments and critiscism are as welcome as ever.

Librarian

Woooow very impressive work, realy cool goblin faces, and that attacking goblin with the knife and eye patch. Soooo cool, no way you are an amateur sculptor. Ok probably you don't make money with it yet but amateur sculpting is what I do. Making an arm now and then. Love to see the gobbo finished soon and i mean realy soon. Keep it coming very cool.

@karak . I am appalled at myself that it's taken me so long to discover the myriad wonders this plog has to offer. Your sculpting work is astoundingly awesome , I'm totally blown away . I had been considering a CD contingent to act as allies to my nurgle army but had been struggling for inspiration.... Until now!! Your work has inspiration by the bucket load! Must make sure I finish my blood bowl orcs before I start another project tho , if I can resist the temptation that is .
    Keep up the awesome work

Quote Originally Posted by Beastley View Post
    @karak . I am appalled at myself that it's taken me so long to discover the myriad wonders this plog has to offer. Your sculpting work is astoundingly awesome , I'm totally blown away .
    Exactly what he said, for my part.

Great work! Hobgoblins are so cool, and yours are full of character and personality.

Cool stuff as usual. Really curious abot that chaos thingy. Finish it allready!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Librarian

Been looking through this thread. Everything - and I mean everything, from painting job to green stuff sculpting, and including drawing sketches and the imagination behind it all - is amazing. Fantastic stuff. Please keep working on this, really excited to see whatever you may want to throw at us next

This blog is absolutely amazing! I have no idea how you sculpt so nicely, on such small miniatures, yet with such high output rate. Fantastic!

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast