Thread: Warhammer Samurai

Warhammer Samurai

didn't know where else to put this, so mods if you wanna move it then feel free

I am thinking of running a small detachment of Samurai for Warhammer, but I am unsure what ruleset to use (so they are 'count as' units)

I was thinking of Chaos Marauders, but I could be completely off the mark here.

i.e. Marauders as samurai infantry (katanas counting as hand weapons)
    Marauder horsemen as mounted samurai (spears)
    Marauder chief (?) as a Daimyo

.... what do you guys think
    ARCHON ATHERAKHIA
    Supreme Archon of The Kabal Of The Unfettered Shadow

Re: Warhammer Samurai

Elves basically:

Executioners= Nodachi Samurai
    Black Guard= Naginata Samurai
    Swordmasters= Generic Samurai
    Cold One Knights= Samurai on Horse

At the gates of Slaaneshs Pleasure Palace

Empire (mostly free companies). Basicaly the equivalent of real world samurai*.

* (A samurai is a human with a short sword or two**, and heavy lameller armour. Rougly 5'7. A marauder is usualy 6'2"-7',packed with muscles and armed with huge weapons. An elf, or even mightier; a chaos warrior..... better not even compare.)

Sword lengths:
    Shortsword 50-80 CM
    Katana 60-70 CM
    Longsword 100-120 CM
    Claymore 120-140 CM
    Flamberged Zveihänder (great-swords, the kind Empire Goldswords use) Roughly 180 CM
    Last edited by inq.serge; 17-07-2011 at 15:39.
    My Twitter, Look and or follow!
    RiP. In memory of: (2007) Luciano Pavarotti & Marcel Marceau. (2008) Bobby Fisher & Sofiko Chiaureli. (2009)Michel Jackson & Brimstone (2010) Alexander McQueen & Grundig Harry. (2011) Jack Kevorkian & My Grandmother Sophia & Ramaz Chkhikvadze (2012) Tonino Guerra (2013) Ray Harryhausen (2014) Bob Hoskins

I say high elves.

Swordmasters for samurai, Will give them that magic holly wood feel and spearmen & bowmen as ashgaru.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Atherakhia View Post
    didn't know where else to put this, so mods if you wanna move it then feel free

I am thinking of running a small detachment of Samurai for Warhammer, but I am unsure what ruleset to use (so they are 'count as' units)

I was thinking of Chaos Marauders, but I could be completely off the mark here.

i.e. Marauders as samurai infantry (katanas counting as hand weapons)
    Marauder horsemen as mounted samurai (spears)
    Marauder chief (?) as a Daimyo

.... what do you guys think
    1) What about heads of Shades on Swordmaster bodies amd Swordmaster swords ?

2) Is this unit your own invention or is it based on some internet Warhammer army book?

3) The link below contains 16 army books for Fantasy, of which one is called The Fiyarsu of Nippon. It contains a Samurai unit.
    Warhammer Tactica 8 - 298 pages of unique tactics. Available on Kindle or a better copy direct from me

A few years ago in White Dwarf a guys did an ogre army with samurai conversion, it was funny.

Now I agree elves are probably the best solution for "fantasy" samurai.
    He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flatfoot, who'll never flinch from a fray

i dunno if i like the idea of elves as samurai tbh - the reason i thought marauders to begin with is they are average humans (ok a little tougher, which samurai would be against regular infantry) but also have the Eye of Chaos (?) - that rule where they have to accept or issue challenges. Bushido there methinks lol

The elvish rules are a bit, unnatural (for lack of a better term) for humans, especially an elite unit like swordmasters or executioners

Models wise, i can get some 13-14c samurai units at 28mm, fairly reasonably too.
    ARCHON ATHERAKHIA

Empire Greatsword and swordmen could make acceptable samurai with a more realistic and less hollywood-like profile.

For the swordmen you could say that they are samurai with a normal katana and heavy armor, and that the parry save is from their superior martial training.

The greatsword would represent an elite unit of heavy samurai with No-dachi (a sort of two-handed katana).

i know what a no dachi is, however they're generally ceremonial lol
    ARCHON ATHERAKHIA

Well, in a world with ogres and bigger baddies, a bigger sword might get more use and be the tool of choice of an elite unit, no ?

Quote Originally Posted by Atherakhia View Post
    i know what a no dachi is, however they're generally ceremonial lol
    The same could be said of the european great swords.
    Will Orc for food!

Quote Originally Posted by Knifeparty View Post
    Elves basically:

Executioners= Nodachi Samurai
    Black Guard= Naginata Samurai
    Swordmasters= Generic Samurai
    Cold One Knights= Samurai on Horse
    My main objection here is against the "superhuman" samurai. As trained and human warriors, the marauder stats stats are more appropriate, as is the Mark of Slaanesh.

Also, I don't think inserting historical samurai into Warhammer is the way to go. I'd think something more fantastic would be more fitting with the atmosphere of the game.
    Will Orc for food!