Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The High House of Chains - a Druchii plog

Brother Sergeant

Re: The House of Chains and other goodies

Heh, Lorenzo in the first pic made me think of the film V for Vendetta, just needs a moustache...

Dark Elves looking fantastic with that bone armour, always enjoy seeing alternative colour schemes, subscribed mate
    <

Morning everyone.

Couple of WiP pics for your perusal. Unfortunately they were taken this morning on my phone cam but actually seem to be pretty decent. I'm just glad the two cats I was wrestling out of the way didnt manage to photobomb the pics. Still, hopefully you can make out enough to tantalise yourselves.

First up, The Emissary, Herald of High House Chains:

I won't lie, I love this guy. Theres something very sinister about him, despite the simplicity of the pose.
    The new Dark Eldar are a godsend for parts and mostly blend in very nicely with the Dark Elf range. I wasn't a fan of the Phoenix Guard at first but using the bits on this fella has change my mind - so much that I'm planning to convert a unit of them into my analogue of the Black Guard using Kabalite Warrior heads and being led by the new Lhamean vixen.

As to who, or what this gent is - well, you'll just have to wait and see.

Next up - Hiroth Arkitaine, Master of the HouseHold Guard, Guardian of High House Chains:

More Dark Eldar love! Soon as the new Archon was released, I knew he was getting into my army somehow. Lo and behold, a couple of Cold One Knight arms and a head from the Lion Chariot riders and my BSB was done.
    Still needs a few touches - that banner needs to be roughed up a little round the edges - my one bugbear with some of the new banners GW have done is that they seem a bit too 'flat tablecloth'.

And finally - Velrys Arkitaine, the Hand of Grief, First Sword of High House Chains:

Yeah thats right - I'm running my Dreadlord (god I hate that name - Highborn was so much classier. Dreadlord is so 'ooo look at me, I'm captain evil') old-school style. On a Cold One, in a nice chunk of Cold One Knights. I say chunk, its only 9. Still, its a meaty looking unit that performs pretty damn well on the tabletop so far.
    Theres the Dark Eldar bits again - the alternate helmet from the archon. The sword is a combination of several random bits, but mainly based on the empire wizard flaming sword. Happy with the way it turned out, it looks nicely archaic compared to the current Druchii blades.

I'll be expanding on the background for these gents when I get them painted up. Suffice to say its full of intrigue, betrayal and bloodshed - as all good Druchii backgrounds should be.

Over the next few days I'll be finishing the first wing of Household Cavalry so will get some pics up. And I'll also be popping up some more background and fluff for the House as a whole. Hopefully you guys are enjoying all the fluff bits and aren't finding reading through it a chore.

Thanks to all for the comments so far - keep them coming please people.
    <

Chapter Master

I am not to sure about the "banner" on the first sword.. looks wierd..

Otherwise awsomeness.. =)
    <

Cheers Nkari. You know, the more I look at it, the more I think you're right. It's supposed to be acting as a mini-cloak, but I may take it back to the drawing board and try again.

Of course, now I have a reason to pick up the new Black Dragon and use the Dreadlord parts from there. Dammit my wife is not going to be happy.
    <

Well, well, well Jackdaw,
    This is a great start to plog!
    Think of me as a subscriber.

I once played against Dark Elves, indeed a dark and sinister people.
    What you now drop to background and story and you clear choices in the models go with it, Chappo.
    Beautiful color scheme, beautiful building of the unit .

question: what you used for the paving of the base plates? it looks out laborious.
    This is a Dark Age, a Bloody age, an age of Daemons and of Sorcery. It is an age of Battle and Death, and of the world´s ending. Amidst all of the Fire, Flame and Fury it is a time, too, of Mighty Heroes, of Bold Deeds and Great Courage. William King
    My Warriors of Chaos
    11,000 pts of shaven
    231st Regiment Death Korps of Krieg
    <

Thanks Magot
    The basing isnt too bad - I cheat and buy sheets of plastic moulded with the pattern from the local model railway shop. Then its just a case of cutting a bit to size. I'll dig out the brand name when I get home, should be able to order online I reckon.
    <

Looks good. I think the Malazan books are some of the best books ever. Are you going to make a Mortal Sword of Khaine?
    <

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Thanks Magot
    The basing isnt too bad - I cheat and buy sheets of plastic moulded with the pattern from the local model railway shop. Then its just a case of cutting a bit to size. I'll dig out the brand name when I get home, should be able to order online I reckon.
    OK thanks for the info
    This is a Dark Age, a Bloody age, an age of Daemons and of Sorcery. It is an age of Battle and Death, and of the world´s ending. Amidst all of the Fire, Flame and Fury it is a time, too, of Mighty Heroes, of Bold Deeds and Great Courage. William King
    My Warriors of Chaos
    11,000 pts of shaven
    231st Regiment Death Korps of Krieg
    <

Morning everyone.

First up, replied to those of you kind enough to comment:

@ BoomBoom - apologies for missing your comment before, cheers for the sub.
    @ Student - I'm a big fan of them too, though I think they need a little trimming down. If I was going to do a Khainite themed army, a Mortal Sword of Khaine would be the first thing on the list. At the moment though, he doesn't fit the theme for this army
    @ Magot - no worries fella.

So, on with the show. Even though the weekend was full of distractions - Nathaniel, Rugby World Cup, cats, lovely wife: I'm looking at you - I managed to get a fair bit done.

First up was finishing the first unit of Dark Riders. These fill more of a Light Cavalry niche in my theme, at some point I may even do a proper ranked unit with spears and shields. I also sorted a replacement standard for the first unit of spears and completely reworked the torso of Velrys.

Pics of the finished Riders first, then some WiPs and probably some more fluff this afternoon. I do love fluff.

Anyways, enough jabber - on with the pics!

First Wing, Household Cavalry

The line of Arkitaine was not alone amongst Druchii families in keeping large numbers of mounted spears as part of their Household garrison. Nauglir are expensive and dangerous to stable, a luxury only the privileged few can afford and many Druchii settle for the swifter, lighter dark steed as their mount of choice.

During the decline of the Arkitaine House, most of the Household Cavalry turned mercenary and abandoned the House in search of more profitable employment as the messengers and scouts that form the more regularly seen 'Dark Riders' - a title that elicits no end of mockery and contempt from the Household Cavalry remaining. The current horsemen of the House's Wings take great pleasure in hunting their former brethren through the twisting streets of Clar Karond and along the bleak roads of Naggaroth. Once run to ground, the Dark Rider will often find himself stripped and gelded in cruel mockery of his steed, before being lashed back into the saddle with his signature black cloak and sent on his way.

When High House Chains marches to war, the Cavalry will form the vanguard of the army, acting as scouts and way-finders. Once the enemy is brought to heel, the Cavalry will protect the flanks of the heavier Nauglir cavalry and chariots, screening them until the last moment. Often the Wings will find themselves tasked with hunting warmachine crews and smaller units of lightly armoured prey.

The First Wing can be seen here wielding a mix of repeater crossbows and the 'sky-piercer' spears favoured by the Druchii. Drawn from the ranks of the Household Guard, each rider is proficient with either weapon and will happily use either to reap the souls of whatever unfortunate is in his path.

Typically the Wings will arm themselves with crossbows, preferring to riddle their targets with razor sharp bolts from afar before riding down any survivors. On rare occasions they will take up heavier shields, organising themselves into tighter ranks and acting as a medium cavalry in support of the Nauglir.

Eschewing the heavy mail worn by the Household Guard, the cavalry instead supplement their half-plate with toughened sections of human skin. Once tanned, boiled and lacquered, the skin of the mon-keigh provides an excellent light skirmishing armour without the weight of mail - something invaluable to the swift cavalry.

The First Wing is led by their Herald, Korvalat, pictured above. Korvalat longs for the glory days of the past, where massed ranks of steed-mounted cavalry would win the day, rather than the heavier Nauglir now favoured in the courts of Naggaroth. For now he bides his time, waiting for the current Master of Cavalry, Rellick Nom, to meet an 'unfortunate' accident before claiming his position and re-establishing the eminence of the Household Cavalry.

I do not like painting horses. Never have. Still, I'm happy with how these have turned out. I actually prefer the look of the spear-armed riders, hence the potential of doing a ranked unit armed with spears and shields. Might not be the best choice gaming-wise, but dammit it'll look cool.

Another 6 of these on the books to paint up yet, but I'll be taking a break and getting the crossbow unit done before finishing up the riders.

The armour is a little lighter on these chaps than the spears - I don't really mind as I much prefer the finish on these than the spears and will be getting everything else to the same finish.

There you go chaps, hope you like. C&C welcome as always. WiP pics up soonish.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 21-10-2011 at 08:39. Reason: Amended background details
    <

Nice work Dave, looking very nice. How are you arming them, are they having spears, shields and crossbows?
    My Various Painting Projects, just added Malifaux Dr Dufresne and a combat hippo!
    <

Cheers Mr J List wise I'm running them with xbows and spears - it's the only really useful combo. The shield bearing champ was actually intended to be a Master before he got demoted.
    <

Aw bless, sacked! Thought that was the case as shields seem a bit of a point sink! Assuming that they lose fast cavalry rule if they have shields still?! Looking forward to seeing the army come together My Boddy.

PS Homo!
    My Various Painting Projects, just added Malifaux Dr Dufresne and a combat hippo!
    <

Aye they do indeed lose the Fast Cav rules if you give them shields. Still, for 500-1000pt games, it gives you a cheap, swift cavalry option thats also a core choice...

And haha - I wondered how long it would be before you and Ed got involved on that. Good times.

A few Wip shots for whats coming up next:

A replacement standard for the first spear unit:

Its the Manflayer standard - very appropriate considering the background for the unit champion Temul. Once he's painted, I'll pop up some more pics with some background for the signifcance of the standard. On a quick note - this sculpt is showing it's age now, especially compared to the newer plastics and finecast stuff.

Converted Assassin - Sholen Skara:

Gone a different route for my assassin - in my mind, the Temples of Khaine have different schools for assassins - Khaine is the Thousand-Faced Lord of Murder after all. I'll expand on this chaps background when he's done. Again, theres the Dark Eldar and High Elf bits creeping in, but they all work so well.

And finally, updated Velrys:

New torso from the Black Dragon Dreadlord bits - the twisting horns on the back were chosen to echo the horns on the armour of the Emissary in the ealier pics - the reason for this will become clear later. Still needs some GS to blend the saddle back into the armour and some extra sheathed blades (a Highborn can never have too many blades) but I'm happy with the new version - he's definately a lot more dynamic and looks more appropriate as my general. There were 2 heart-stopping moments - one where I had to take the sword off the original arm and it proceeded to collapse into its constituent parts - and one where I thought he wouldnt rank up once he was assembled. Luckily he does, though the knight next to him will have to get used to a flaming broadsword being waved in his face.

C&C welcome guys
    <

Hmm, all those pics and so few comments? Warseer, you are a harsh mistress

No worries though. I'll just bury you under fluff instead. Once I get the standard sorted for the spears, pics will be going up - same for the assassin. Until then, here's a big ole chunk of background - hope you enjoy and please feel free to comment on the pics or the background.

Cheers all

“If you were to ask any Druchii what he desires most in life, the answer would be two-fold. Power and vengeance. The latter can be applied to any slight, imagined or otherwise – your spurned advances towards a paramour, the actions of a favoured rival and of course the need to punish our weakling cousins for their hubris.
    Power though…power is a strange and curious thing. For some it can be as simple as the strength of their sword-arm and their skill with a blade. For others, the Winds of Magic hold the key to moulding the world to their whim. Others simply seek the means to punish those who have transgressed against them and to torment the weak.
    Power can harden a man, can anneal him against the vagaries and hardships of life and make him strong. It will hone his viciousness and hate, like a fine blade. Yet power can also corrupt. The endless search for it can reduce a man to the basest villain or cut-throat. Even once it is obtained, power needs to be guarded jealously, paranoia will colour your every action and every shadow will seem to contain a knife.
    Every Druchii would do well to remember this – power is but a tool towards vengeance. To think otherwise is to become subservient to power, whatever its source. No Druchii should bow his head in subservience while he can still draw breathe and a blade. ‘Ware those who care not where they claim their power – often times they will find that the brief taste they receive will damn them for all eternity…”

Elim Rashan
    Meditations On The Blade

It is in the nature of Druchii to use every weapon at their disposal to ensure their continued good standing in society and to torment those around them. These weapons are, many times, purely mundane – a blade, a bow, poison and so on. Other times they will be more subtle – a whisper in the right ear, a certain look, a carefully worded missive. The constant dance of threat and counter-threat, the delicate balancing act of venom and courtesy, this is the daily routine for the Druchii fortunate enough to dwell in the great city-states of Naggaroth.

On occasion though, a Druchii may find him or herself on a path that leads only to despair and destruction in the pursuit of power. Cautionary tales abound of those foolish Druchii who over-reached and paid the consequences – one of the more famous is a famed son of Hag Graef, Malus Darkblade. Today, such cautionary tales are related to power-hungry young Druchii in an attempt to teach them the folly of compacts with daemons and other undesirables and the dire consequences of tasting power tapped from unknown sources. Unfortunately the importance of these tales seemed to have been lost upon Velrys Arkitaine during his fervered search for the cure to his lines ailing fortunes.

Velrys travelled to the far borders and reaches of Naggaroth, speaking to Autarii Shouldermen and consulting with Convent Sorceresses before his travels took him to the Necropoli – the ruins of the courts of Nagarythe that had made the long voyage across the sea after the Sundering. Amongst the remains and monuments to ancient times and age-old Druchii families, Velrys located the source of puissance alluded to in dusty tomes and the ramblings of the Autarii Shouldermen – an antediluvian line of Druchii known as High House Chains.

Much knowledge of High House Chains has been lost in the years since the Sundering. Certainly, no Druchii currently living claims lineage to this ancient line and no mention can be found of titles or lands in the courts of Naggaroth. What records do remain refer only to ‘The Lord-In-Chains’, apparently a sorcerer of some power, and make no further mention after the Sundering save that of a binding or punishment soon after the ragged survivors of Naggarythe made landfall on the new coastline to the west of Ulthuan.

Many assume that Velrys simply raided the mausoleums of High House Chains, claiming untold relics and riches for himself and funding his lines revival thusly. To these Druchii nobles, he is viewed merely as an upstart and worse – a kinslayer and tomb-thief.

The truth is far darker. Velrys did indeed find untold relics and riches amongst the cold marble and a source of fell power indeed. The truth is that Velrys found the Lord-in-Chains himself. Buried deep in the catacombs of the mausoleum stood a chamber, bedecked with curtains of hanging razor linked chains. At the centre, bound to a black iron throne, was a robed, twisted figure. Silver bladed links plunged into its dessicated flesh, binding it to the throne of iron and the stink of sorcery hung heavy in the air.

This then was the source of power that Velrys sought to claim – the body and spirit of the Lord-in-Chains. Once a powerful mage when living, he had extended his life through careful study of the Winds of Death and became something close to undead – a lich, a revenant. An abomination. Others amongst the nascent Druchii conspired against him and eventually cast him down. Unable to end his cursed un-life, they chose to bind him forever to his throne and bury all knowledge of his line and power, cursing him to an eternity of ennui and obscurity.

Entering the chamber, Velrys made a compact with the Lord-in-Chains – he would champion the rise of High House Chains once again in return for the means to avenge his lines decline. The spilling of Velrys’ blood upon the razored links binding the liche sealed the compact and damned Velrys’ soul.

Returning to Naggaroth, Velrys bore the armour and blade of the Houses ancient champion. In this way he has cursed himself, for the armour will never let him die while the Lord-in-Chains remains bound. Each time Velrys is laid low by blade or bolt, he returns to life – though each time he returns a little more broken and crippled in mind and spirit, his soul suffering endless torment.

The Lord-in-Chains has allowed Velrys to tap the power of his House under the proviso that he recruit others to fill the ancient titles and positions of High House Chains. Currently Velrys holds the title of First Sword and has promised his brother Hiroth to the title of Seneschal, against Hiroth’s will. The Lord-in-Chains has sent forth his Herald, the Emissary, to locate suitable claimants to the final titles – Vaulkhar, Consort, Executioner and Reaver – while he has claimed the title of Magii, source of the Houses power. As to what will happen once the Lord-in-Chains has assembled his court, none know, not even Velrys. Though truthfully, nothing good can come of compacts with ancient liches so crippled and hungry for vengeance….
    Last edited by JackDaw; 21-10-2011 at 08:41. Reason: amended House titles
    <

Excellent fluff; the last post makes gripping reading. I also like your cavalry a lot. The spearmen are also extremely well executed even if they appeal less to me. This is by no means a criticism of your skills as I'm amazed by what you achieved with the DE warriors, which I would rank among the ugliest minis in the whole GW range.
    <

I like your bleak way of painting. Makes your models realy gritty. sweet!
    -I`m not going to pay 2000 Gold coins for a dwarf made pistol, solid imperial craftmanship is good enough. - Dagmar von Horsttrup, Carroburg noble (deceased)

Dwarf restoration en building PLOG
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...84#post5769184
    Now with Airship added!
    <

@ Duke Donald - thanks very much your Grace Glad to hear you're enjoying the fluff - writing is a hobby of mine and I enjoy all the little bits of fluff I can add to an army. There remain starry-eyed dreams about getting something published one day, far away...

I know what you mean about the warriors - I'm not a massive fan of them assembled as spearmen. They look much better put together as xbows in my eyes, but the command bits are just terrible. Luckily, they are fairly compatable with the newer Dark Elf, High Elf and Dark Eldar ranges, despite their age.

@ FBI - cheers fella. I will now forever refer to my painting style as bleak - thats an awesome description. Good to know you're enjoying things so far.
    <

I'm enjoying your plog immensely! The latest fluff entry perfectly captures how I view the intricacies of Druchii courtly life would be. Great job. Also a very nice way to share more background info on your general (and future roster of characters!)

Please keep it up!
    <

Great log, some of the conversions are really spot on. Oh, and you got a Household Guard unit too! With the amount of these around we on Warseer should soon petition GW to get them as an official new entry in the army book

Have to say it again - great conversions. Particularly the Emissary is amazing, and I immediately saved the picture for inspiration (or copying!) later on.

Keep it up,
    BTB
    <

A veritable mountain of fluff! It was a good read and I'm intrigued to know what happens next. Keep it up.
    <

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast