Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The High House of Chains - a Druchii plog

Re: The House of Chains and other goodies

Oh sweet Jessie Christ!! This plog just gets better and better! Lost for words....
    THE OLD BLACK AND YELLOW an Averland project log
    www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295102

A Reckless Disregard for the Codex Astartes: Raptors project log
    http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/t...odex-astartes/
    <

Cheers for all the kind words gents

@ Saulot - glad you're enjoying the fluff. I will eventually be making at least one character for each title - some will even have a few claimants. Sadly I can only fit 4 characters in the 2400pt list.

@ BeatTheBeat - I agree! GW definitley need to change the names of some of the units - 'Dark Elf Warriors' just sounds really blah and uninspiring. I am going to be disappointed when we eventually lose all the cool random little magic items as well, some of them are just so cool from a fluff perspective.

Feel free to nab the idea for the Emissary - it'd be an honour to see something inspired by him popping up across the interwebs.

Enjoying your plog as well - totally agree that the previous metal corsairs are much much better than the new plastics. You can actually rank them up properly! And the three champions are great great models, I wish I still had some of them

@ Student - aye it was a mountain - and theres more to come Good to know its hooked your interest though.

@ The Yak - Haha cheers fella Hopefully I can keep the increase in quality going.

Your Empire are looking very nice as well, the recent SoM mages you did are amazing. Looking forward to seeing them painted up.

So, whats up next for the House? Tonight I'm aiming to get the replacement standard bearer finished - hopefully I wont get too distracted by all the rugby I've got recorded. After that, the assassin should get done over the weekend and then I need to crack on with the xbows.

Oh and get some more fluff written up.
    <

Very impressive log, i really like the painting style. Keep up the good work, looking forward to see more.
    <

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Enjoying your plog as well - totally agree that the previous metal corsairs are much much better than the new plastics. You can actually rank them up properly! And the three champions are great great models, I wish I still had some of them
    Thanks They are, aren't they? Can't wrap my head around the new Corsairs, they differ entirely from the rest of the DE range in style. I'm hellbent on gathering as many of the old style models before they are replaced, best line GW ever made in my opinion (possibly exception new Dark Eldar). Black Guard, Shades, Executioners, Warriors/RXB (good for their time, now not so much maybe), Witch Elves, CoK Chariot (sadly discontinued), Corsairs, all the different unit champions/standard bearers... Those were stylish times!

Cheers,
    BTB
    <

Very,very nice,love the background and the and the models,love the scheme.
    \m/ Metalhead of Warseer \m/
    <

Morning everyone, cheers for checking out the log and your comments.

@ Slipknotman21 & Siam-Tiger - Glad you're enjoying it gents. There'll be plenty more to come, trust me.

@ BeatTheBeat - You're right, the new corsairs don't seem to have anything in common with the rest of the range. It's difficult to even use them as a bits source, thanks to the way they are posed and the arms are moulded. Not sure what GW were thinking there. Sadly I think we are stuck with them for a while now.

Only a small update today folks - a combination of the little man Nathaniel and the Rugby World Cup has pushed my productivity down a bit. Managed to get a bit of work done on the replacement standard bearer - hopefully he should be all done by the weekend:

Pretty pleased with how the flayed skin turned out - as much as I criticised the sculpt earlier for being a bit clunky, he is fairly enjoyable to paint. I was coming up with all kinds of fun reasons behind the skins while I was working on him, two of which in particular are definitely going to make it into the background.

Speaking of background, there may be some more to come later today if I can get some spare time. If not, I'll make up for it on the weekend.

C&C welcome as ever ladies and gents.
    <

It's hard to criticise what you've produced so far; I've really enjoyed the background, the painting and the overall feel you're conjuring. The lighter armour really helps execute the fantastic Dark Elf sculpts, but there is something unsettlingly sinister about the colour combination you have used.

The flayed skin has come out great. It was a good idea to introduce a little pink/ red to differentiate it from the armour.

Very nicely done.

LilLoser
    <

Cheers very much Lilloser2010 - your plogs are breathtaking, especially your own Druchii, and its an honour to get such praise from you.

I also heartily love the combined opinions of my paint scheme and style as 'bleak' and 'unsettingly sinister' - I must be doing something right.

Incidentally, whereabouts in S.Wales are you from? I'm Cardiff myself, only moved to Swindon about 6/7 years ago.
    <

Hey Jack fantastic looking army and loving the background info you are putting out, just quickly i dont know if i missed it but can you explain how you get your bases like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by The bearded one View Post
    Incorrect. Forums are for bashing and fanboyism
    <

Morning everyone, thanks again for checking out my log. I've come to the inevitable conclusion that I'm probably not going to get this army done for the tourney in November. I'll still try, but I honestly don't reckon I've enough time.

However, this doesn't mean the end of the plog. Oh hell no. I've signed up for The Tale Of Fantasy Painters log here to keep the incentive to paint going and I want this army done like you would not believe.

I've also decided to take it up to 3k, with a converted unit of Black Guard and slinky female Dreadlord to lead them.

So, what I'm trying to say is that this plog will be around for longer and with more stuff. Yay.

@ Mace1982 - cheers fella, glad you're enjoying the background. The basing is made from sheets of pre-moulded plastic. If there's a model railway supply shop near to you, pop in and take a look for it. There's loads of different styles, from regular paving to corrugated iron and cobbles. Useful stuff.

In terms of updates, the replacement standard bearer got finished. Unfortunately the pics I took this morning are not great thanks to the light, or lack thereof. I'll try and get some better ones this weekend. Anyways, take a gander at the temporary pics for now.

Cyrion The Elder, Master of Discipline

The longest serving retainer to the line of Arkitaine, Cyrion the Elder has held the rank of Master of Discipline for as long as Hiroth can remember. Dour and vicious even by Druchii standards, Cyrion is responsible for administering punishment rites amongst the Household Guard and such is his prowess that often a cold stare from his remaining eye is enough to quell the usual backstabbing and conspiring amongst the ranks of the Guard.

Cyrion will often accompany the First Cohort to war, acting as their standard bearer and a calming influence on the normally headstrong and wilful Temul Kinslayer. There are some who claim that Cyrion keeps a close watch on Temul purely to punish him as soon as possible for any error and is eager to strip the flesh from the arrogant young Druchii's bones.

The standard borne by Cyrion displays a perfect example of his favoured punishment and talent - the flayed preserved skin of a Druchii. The slow flensing of skin from flesh and bone while keeping the unfortunate alive is an art Cyrion takes great relish in practising and few are the members of the Household Guard that have not lost a patch of their alabaster skin to his tender ministrations.

When the House marches to war, Cyrion will select a specimen for preparation and display. On occasion this has been a favoured enemy or courtesan of the House, other times a member of the Household Guard. The flaying has become something of a ritual and has become adopted by the ranks of the Household Guard as an augury for how the impending conflict will unfold. Should the subject of Cyrions attentions cling to life until their skin has been entirely flensed, the omens are good and the Household Guard will march to war confident in their victory.

The flayed skin worn by Cyrion in lieu of a cloak or other covering is the pinnacle of his talent and a testament to the cold blooded viciousness of Druchii culture. It is the skin of his first and only son, Cyrion Younger, carefully flayed and invested through alchemical and sorcerous means to preserve its integrity. Cyrion flayed his firstborn himself upon learning of his schemes to murder his father and assume his position in his mothers bed. Some whisper that the very soul of Cyrion younger has been bound to his flaye hide, cursed to haunt it until every shred has been destoryed, and that the shade of his son constantly whispers to Cyrion Elder, warning him of conspiracies and threats.

Gah what godawful pictures. They don't do him justice at all. The previous WiP pics give a much better idea of how the flayed skin looks. Ah well, I'll get some more sorted this weekend.

In game terms, the unit he is the standard bearer for carries The Banner Of Discipline (+1 Ld) - in fluff terms, this bonus is due to the presence of Cyrion himself rather than any actual magical properties of the banner. After all, would you mess about in front of the guy who could skin you slowly over the course of a week?

C&C welcome guys and girls.
    <

The model's face suits that very grisly background perfectly. I look forward to more.
    <

The standard bearer is as grim at the fluff that comes with it, which is quite an achievement. However, I was slightly less enthused by your last post. Your writing is superb and I enjoy reading about psychopaths, and mentions of flayed skin always make me feel a bit queasy. However, this character just comes across to me as evil, and only evil.

To me, the best villains are those whose motivations I can partly understand. Cyrion may lack the moral complexity and ambiguity that would allow me to empathise with his fate. I feel the idea of him carrying his son's skin on his back with his soul whispering to him is a good. However, to me, this image may be more moving if he had loved him and/or had killed him unintentionally (e.g. being dupe by an elaborate plot by a sorcerer who changed appearance with his son - not sure that makes that much sense actually).

Anyway, this is your fluff and it's excellent but I would enjoy it probably even more if your next characters were more tormented and tragic rather than just purely evil.
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Donald View Post
    Anyway, this is your fluff and it's excellent but I would enjoy it probably even more if your next characters were more tormented and tragic rather than just purely evil.
    Don't worry Duke, this chap is literally only a basic standard bearer and will be the only 'pure evil for evil's sake' dramatis personae in the list.

Rest assured the remaining characters will be more along the tormented and tragic lines - tormented is probably the single best word to describe Velrys himself.

I understand where you're coming from though - I think it's all too easy to slip into the comfortable 'dark elves are mean and stabby and stabby and mean. Plus emo' slippers when coming up with background. Looking back over Cyrion, I think I tip-toed fairly close to that line and over-emphasised his evil-ness rather than concentrating on the aspects of him as a drill sergeant type and an 'artist'. Lesson learnt.

Cheers for the honest opinion - its good to get picked up stuff like this before it gets out of hand and I rename Velrys 'Dark Lord Emostab'
    <

I'd be interested to see a model of the Lich, maybe using malekiths rules.
    There is a fine line between genius and insanity, I have accidently blured this line. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Scryer in the Darkness View Post
    But Slaanesh wants your collar perfect and your buttons nice and shiny, so rub them minion! Rub them! Faster, faster! Now... a bit slower... yeah, yeah that's it...
    <

Looking really good, great fluff as well (especially with the knowledge that his uber-evilness is an exception, too much gets tedious but a small dose is great). I've been planning to get some of the Manflayers as well, great models.

Cheers,
    BTB
    <

Hi do you like my new cloak? fresh from the back of my flayed son! Only in Naggaroth eh? Like it like it. I can imagine that stare you described him giving to the household guard, its most likely similar to the one I get when from my wife when I try to get out of going shopping!

His pale flesh looks superb and the banner and cloak (remains of his son) are really well executed (literally).

Good work, looking forward to seeing more.
    THE OLD BLACK AND YELLOW an Averland project log
    www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295102

A Reckless Disregard for the Codex Astartes: Raptors project log
    http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/t...odex-astartes/
    <

Morning all, hope you all had a decent weekend. Not too much from me today, just a few updates on the WiP and maybe some fluff later on today.

@ Imp Of High Noon - cheers for taking a look at the plog fella. Sadly there's no plans to do a model of the Lord-in-Chains for now, he's very much a malevolent background presence.

@ BeatTheBeat - you can still get the Manflayers direct from GW, they're tucked away in the Collectors section from what I remember. They are nice models but some do need a bit of work done to them.

@ The Yak - cheers as ever fella, plenty more to come for your perusal. How are your Empire coming along?

Didn't get much done over the weekend sadly - too much Rugby and family stuff going on. Here's a few better pics of the replacement standard bearer though:

I'm really happy with this guy and with the flayed skin in particular. I might have to use that technique on someone else at some point.

And a few progress shots of the Assassin:

So far only the bone sections and the lining of his cloak have been done. The cloak itself was originally going to be painted up the same way as the Naggarothian Lion in the spears, but I'm kinda concerned that might make him a little too dark. I'll have a play around anyways.

Background wise, this chap has had a little reboot as well - the initial version of my list had 2 Assassins, one more straight laced and a true Temple Of Khaine assassin (he can be see in the unit pics of the spears on the 1st page) and this chap who was going to be more frenzied and crazed. To use 40k assassins as an analogue, the Temple Assassin was my Callidus, this guy was my Eversor.

Now though, I'm leaning a different way. Taking onboard Duke Donald and BeatTheBeat's comments, I don't want to have another crazed stabby elf in the list. So this chap is now more likely to become a hybrid of the 2 original assassins and an Autarii rather than a Temple assassin. Once he's all done and dusted, the usual fluff avalanche will follow.

C&C welcome guys - your comments are a massive incentive to crack on and get more stuff done.
    <

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    you can still get the Manflayers direct from GW, they're tucked away in the Collectors section from what I remember. They are nice models but some do need a bit of work done to them.

[]

I'm really happy with this guy and with the flayed skin in particular. I might have to use that technique on someone else at some point.
    Yeah I know, but they're quite expensive so I'll try to snatch them second hand anyway! Cheap bastard I am, not very in character.

And that flayed skin thing... That sounds like a threat, mate

On a serious note, it's all looking great as usual. Good to have a partner in (elven) crime on the forums, I think we both envision the Druchii in similar ways. Keep it up!

Cheers,
    BTB
    <

I hope I didn't break your inspiration with my criticisms. I'd be really sorry, partly because I greatly enjoy your fluff. I dared to raise the point of possible excessive evilness as your writing is so good and you mentionnned you'd like to get published as a writer one day. Anyway, please keep it coming.
    <

Afternoon everyone

@ BeatTheBeat - aye they are pricey. I've noticed a fair few bundles of them and the metal corsairs knocking around on Ebay for a decent price though. Got my eye on a couple of pegasii on there currently....

Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff as well mate, I do think our plogs have something in common in terms of the way we see the Druchii and want to take our armies. Good times

@ Duke Donald - honestly mate, hand on heart - I really appreciated your comments. It's a good thing for people to pick me up on it when they think I've gone too far, especially if they are enjoying what I've done previously. I'd rather that then end up writing myself into generic evil-elf land.

Rest assured there will be more to come - hopefully a small fluff snippet today and then more as soon as I can get the assassin finished.

Cheers all
    <

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast