Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tilean Mercenary Army

Swords for Hire: A Tilean Mercenary Army

Hello,

Welcome to my first project log. I recently found an unassembled general of the empire in amongst my various boxes of warhammer. Having done a little bit of green stuffing before I decided to see what I could do to make him more interesting and this is what I came up with:

Having enjoyed making him I wanted to do more so I'm going to make a Greek/Roman themed Tilean army for him to lead. The plan is to use the empire army book to create an army with a core of crossbowmen and pikemen (hopefully Alcatani if I can get a unit together) supported by some crazier units in the style of dogs of war.

This is all very well talking about it but I usually start projects like this and then get bored and move on within a month so this time I'm hoping that making a project log will keep me on target long enough to actually get an army finished. Therefore I'm going to try and post regular updates.

C&C welcome.
    Last edited by Student; 19-07-2012 at 21:43.

Chaplain

Re: Tilean Mercenary Army

How has no one else commented on this! Fantastic gs work, especially the feathered cloak. Good luck with the rest of the project, if they're all going to look as good as that- you'll need it

Thanks
    Selling my complete and painted Marienburg and Night Lords armies!
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...e-(Marienburg)

Scout

Very nice work student! This guy is going to look amazing painted!

Chapter Master

I like the work, but I have to say, I laughed a little when first seeing this. No offence, I just thought it was funny that the shield looked a bit like an Egg at the moment. Should come out very nice.

Nice sculpting! Really like the cloak.

Thank you for your kind comments.

Since my first post, it seemed to take a while to appear on the site, I've been working on my first two crossbowmen. They have been converted from empire free company, I had bits left over from a Mordheim warband I made years ago and thought I could make use of them. As you can see I've gone for a Roman style.

Here's one of them in a green and grey state:

And secondly here's the other one that I've painted up to test my colour scheme:

I've chosen blue mostly because its not green and I'm fed up of green having collected Dark Angels, Orcs and Goblins and Wood Elves. Also I wasn't keen on painting them red as I didn't want it to look too historical. Now I know I'm not the best painter in the world but it meets my gaming standard, I'll try a bit harder on my lords and heroes.

I've also started work on a wizard. If I can make some good progress I'll have photos up soon.

Your green stuffing skill is amazing.

Can't wait to see more.

Chapter Master

You greenstuffed this yourself? Very nice work

Sound as a pound.

I would love to see a full army and that guy certainly deserves one.

You can pick up the alcatani on E bay just take your time and dont get into any crazy bidding wars.

Il keep an eye right on this.

Good luck
    THE OLD BLACK AND YELLOW an Averland project log
    www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295102

A Reckless Disregard for the Codex Astartes: Raptors project log
    http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/t...odex-astartes/

These could be helpful.

You can order specific helms in bulk instead of getting random assortments, which may suit you.

http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.ph...products_id=53
    "Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid."

- John Wayne

The feathered cloak is fantastic and nice job on the scalemail barding. The scales are sharp and uniform... I still can't do that properly so consider me jealous!

Great start looking forward to how this progreses, big fan of the other human empires in WFB. Historical miniatures can be your friend in this case, the range of Tilean mini's gw has dne is very limited but you can get stuff to match it and help build up your theme, Greek helmets for your elites/heavies, Italian/papal style soft caps for your rank and file

for example then GW Marksmen of Mirigliano

and Perry miniatures Mercenaries box (20 Pikes, 10xbows, 10handguns)/Swiss heads

Swiss Pike/Halb Perry

Assault Group Renaissance Italians

This picture might be a bit inspiring. Late roman? Italians at any rate i think
    Last edited by Zoring; 27-07-2011 at 14:45.
    Warhammer, 40k, Necromunda, Historicals
    http://zoring.blogspot.com.au/

@Zoring: I'm aiming for a bit more of a classical look than those historical miniatures but I do like the picture of the roman spearmen.

@Maskedman5oh4: Thanks for the link they could well be useful.

@Everyone: Thank you for the compliments.

I have made some good progress on my wizard. He needs some neatening up but here's what I've got so far:

I wanted to make a wizard who looked like he could do something a bit more magical than own a staff. The hands are from the empire militia kit, the head is from an empire greatsword and the wolf heads are from goblin wolf riders, everything else on him is scratch built. I also have a few more crossbowmen ready for painting.

Next I'm going to work on a champion for my crossbowmen. I don't normally put champions in balistic units but I want to have a DoW feel to the army and all DoW units are lead by a character.

I've now finished converting my first unit of crossbowmen and their champion.

All the parts are from the Empire Free Company box except from the champion's sword and scabard that are from the Greatswords kit.

I have started working on another wizard and plan to get some painting done in the near future.

These mini's look incredible. I love the smokey wolves heads and the champion's hat!

I really like these! I played a Tilean in the Wolfenburg MUD and was always a fan of Tilean based escapade in WFRP .

You're capturing the Tilean feel perfectly, this is going to be a very characterful army - I can't wait to see more!

Why didn't I look here earlier? Those are awesome! Love the general and crossbowmen, and the wizard looks like he's going to be great, too.
    http://www.mekwars.org Play Battletech online in the MegamekNet 3025 campaign environment with people from around the world. New players welcome. Join a noble house and fight for supremacy in the Inner Sphere. Non-commercial community project, no cost.
    My random Sci-Fi Plog, mostly Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar and CSM Current Project: Bad Moons.

Just seen some cheap alcatani fellowship and Lorenzo on e bay mate!

You may not need them though the way your going!!!

Good stuff!
    THE OLD BLACK AND YELLOW an Averland project log
    www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295102

A Reckless Disregard for the Codex Astartes: Raptors project log
    http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/t...odex-astartes/

*picks jaw up off of floor*
    Brilliant green stuffing and a great theme, looking forward to seeing some more paint.
    Quote Originally Posted by nagash66 View Post
    The Empire doesn't take you seriously unless you have sacked Nuln.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast