Thread: Needs more Necron love

Needs more Necron love

"Necron love" sounds wrong, but Necrons are awesome, so here's some pics of my Necron army.

I'm still trying to get the hang of my parents' camera. Especially the whole "when not to use the flash" and "how to take pictures of very close objects" stuff. So, out of the 70 or so photos I took, here's the ones that are even remotely viewable.

Edit-- oh yeah, the paint scheme I used. It's black primer, then a layer of chrome, followed by rust drybrush, and then copper detailing. Oh, and it's enamel paint, too.

Re: Needs more Necron love

More pics:

Even more pics:

Wow, that slipped off the first page real fast.

They look ok, bit odd with the enamel paint, but once I saw the Lord (since its a better pic) I saw how the paint does the whole Necron, being dead thing very well. Some touch ups needed on the edge of the Lords cloak though, bit of metal showing through. And once you get the bases done they will look better still.
    "If your not living life on the edge, then your taking up too much space!"

For whatever reason, the paint won't stay on the Lord's cloak - for the life of me, I cannot figure it out. I'll paint it, walk away, and 10 minutes later I'll look at it and there's metal showing through again. I'm really confused on that point, actually.

Also, since I took those pics (a few weeks ago, actually), I've done the bases, somewhat. I have pet hermit crabs in my dorm room, so I took some spare sand for their tank, spread some Elmer's glue on the figure bases, and dipped 'em in a cup of the sand. I'm not sure I'm pleased with how it turned out yet, but at least there's something on the bases.

I don't have a camera handy, but I'm trying to hijack one for a friend to take some WIP pics of my Ciaphas Cain project. When I get ahold one one, I'll take some more up-to-date pics of the Necrons.

Brother Sergeant

Simple, but I like the rusty look.
    The Ultimate Question:
    Who would win?
    Steven Segal, Chuck Noris, and Claud Vandam versus Jet li, Bruce Li, and Jackie Chan.

JooMcGoo- Putting the laughter back in slaughter since 1989.

Quote Originally Posted by JooMcGoo
    Simple, but I like the rusty look.
    Compared to the multi-step method found here, my "rusty" paint method takes me all of a few minutes. I quickly paint on the chrome (and any sloppy mistakes I make end up looking like scuffs and dents in the miniature, which is exactly the effect I'm going for anyway) and then I drybrush on a "rust" color I have. Done and done.

Just to show that I'm not a complete hack, here's some more pics of my Necrons at this point. They're all based, and there's quite a few more since I posted pics of 'em back in March (mainly Immortals, Pariahs, and Flayed Ones).

Also, despite not being a complete hack with painting (in my opinion), I am pretty close to taking that title when it comes to taking pictures. Please excuse the focus issues; I'm still getting used to the macro functions on my friend's camera.

I had a couple of pics of the army as a whole, but I palsied them up and they looked crappy.

I've also got a pair of Immortals coming in the mail tomorrow, so then I'll have enough to field the minimum squad size. I've also got another Wraith coming in tomorrow, too, so then I'll have 3. The rest of my to-buy list is as follows:
    - 1 Necron Battleforce (20 Warriors, 3 Destroyers, 5 Scarab Swarms)
    - 6 more Pariahs
    - 5 more Immortals
    - 1 Tomb Spyder with particle projector
    - 3 Heavy Destroyers
    - 1 Destroyer Lord (maybe. I'd like to try painting one)

Looks very good, I'm also A fellow 'cron collector.
    Could you tell me what you used to base them?
    Also, Sorry but the photos show it as if your not watering down your paints enough. Just a tip.

Nice buy list
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute
    Which part of
    You are banned from WarSeer
    don't you understand?
    Wintermute

Could you tell me what you used to base them?
    The base is basic sandbox sand I got at Home Depot. I own pet hermit crabs in my dorm room, and I put sand in their tank. They only sell 50lb bags of sand at Home Depot, so I have lots of spare sand for when I need to change the tank out. I just scooped out a tupperware container full of sand, used a brush to put some Elmer's glue on the base, and then dipped it in the sand.

Also, Sorry but the photos show it as if your not watering down your paints enough. Just a tip.
    "Watering down the paint" isn't really an option, seeing as how that's all enamel paint.
    In fact, the paint scheme is done "sloppy" like that intentionally. Or, rather, it's intentionally unintentional. I paint 'em real quick, and any "errors" in the paintjob come out looking like scuffs, dents, and wear and tear on the Necrons, which implies that they're old and banged-up.

Well at least thats a reason

Heres some of my bad boys, Although they do look very bland

I'm thinking of adding some markings
    Which part of
    don't you understand?
    Wintermute

I like the bases a lot. What did you do for them?

I actually really like the color scheme of the flayed ones. Its rather extreme and dramatic, and reminds me of those fake severed body parts they sell around Halloween, which is a good vibe to evoke with a necron.

My bases are done:
    >Base coat chaos black
    >Drybrush shadow grey
    >Lighter drybrush codex grey
    >Then random clumps of static grass
    Which part of
    don't you understand?
    Wintermute

Quote Originally Posted by Serpine
    I actually really like the color scheme of the flayed ones. Its rather extreme and dramatic, and reminds me of those fake severed body parts they sell around Halloween, which is a good vibe to evoke with a necron.
    They're the most difficult Necrons for me to paint, too. I use this cream color enamel paint for the flesh, then go over it with a dark glossy red for the blood. The cream color is a really poor quality paint, for whatever reason, so it takes about 15 coats for it to not look crappy. And even then, it still looks pretty bad until I add the "blood", at which point they almost instantly look cool. The red totally brings it all together.

Even more Necron goodness!

I got two Immortals and a Wraith in the mail yesterday, and I went from "zero" to "based" on all 3 in about 3 hours or so. Here's the finished products.