Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My unimaginatively entitled terrain project log

Littleborough, Lancashire. Hub of the Universe

My unimaginatively entitled terrain project log

Hello,

I recently got myself a Realm of Battle board and began work on it last weekend. This log will cover my progress with the board and then I'll go on to build a few more pieces, some for 40k with an Orky theme and some for specific encounters that appear in my Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay project.

Inspiration for the board comes from two places. The first is the area where i live, more specifically the terrain on the hill that overlooks my house:

I actually took my super snazzy all weather and shock proof camera out with me a couple of weekends ago, specifically to take photos of the rocks up there so I could show you guys how amazing it is. Sadly, the camera proved to be not quite so shock proof as the advertising campaign featuring lithe rockclimbers leaping from boulder to boulder would have me believe. I had no idea you could get so many cracks in such a tiny lens. So, no recent pictures I'm afraid (the one above was taken November 09). Here is a photo I took on my phone (poor........ poor) of a photo collage of the aforementioned rocks:

I shall be sticking quite close to the colours on there. I actually used those to paint the bases for my DeffKoptas.

The second big influence is this superb Realm of Battle board. I'm sure you will have seen it already but if not, prepare to be wowed.

I have learnt a great deal reading the stage by stage.

Time now for some WiP

(please excuse substandard mobile phone photos: my camera is being fixed)

One tile with different grades of sand and cork:

I used Araldite to stick the larger stones and cork down. The sand was stuck down using 50/50 water/PVA. I scattered the sand using a sieve

This is how the six tiles look now:

More to follow..........

Re: My unimaginatively entitled terrain project log

And some more:

Lots of red in there but I shall be drybrushing over that and I also have lots of static grass and Army Painter Highland Tuft to add to it yet.

By doing a little in the evening hopefully I shall have all the painting done by the end of the week. I may even get the bulk of the foliage put down this weekend.

Thanks for looking,

AD

Looking as good as board with sand can look. Continue, and we shall watch. Then comment.
    Horus' Throne Room / Imperial Town - re-opened, hurrah! :skull:
    40K Scale Leviathan - Physical and Virtual!

Dannage is currently seeking conversion bits to turn Cadian guardsmen and Orks into casualties. If anyone in the South East of England has some bits they are willing to convert or cast up, pm me regards samples and costs.

Those look rather nice! Keep up.
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

I like where this is going

Thank you for the encouragement folks. Apart from one evening I've been working on this thing for at least an hour every day this week. My Dad came down for a visit yesterday and was happy to muck in. The both of us spent a couple of hours sticking down Tussock grass.

It's almost there. I just have a couple of things to add. Hope to have that sorted within the week.

Still not got my camera back but my Cousin and Missus came over for a hike this morning. Before we set off I got my Cousin to hold one of the boards outside while I took a couple of snaps on his camera.

I'll post a pic of the whole thing when it's complete but in the meantime.....

Thanks for looking and have a great week!

AD

Marine

Very nice work! and it's awesome to see others inspired by the work we put into those chaos boards. I look forward to seeing the finished work

The Terraformer: Nice one. Thanks for that. Its right grand to have a visit from the inspiration. If I was wearing braces they would be getting a good thumbing as my chest swells with pride

The boards are done. Nowhere near as snazzy as The Terraformer's but they'll do for my purposes. They started off as being very much a miniature version of the hills hereabouts, but I think that week of rioting (the same week I did most of the work on these things) may have had some influence on the outcome (I reckon they look a bit like giant square pieces of burnt toast).

I had a go at making a resin pool or four. I really wish I had made a practice run first! But I was in the mood for getting it done. They're not a right off, but they could have been done so much better.

No special features on these things. I thought it best to keep them quite plain as I want to use these for different game systems and so wished to avoid anything specific to a particular genre. I shall be making separate terrain pieces for that.

Anyway, pictures:

More to follow...

And here's a couple of snaps of my chaps enjoying themselves on the new plot:

Quite monotonous really, but I'm sure it would come to life once I start adding terrain features.

No shot of the whole thing together yet I'm afraid. My lighting isn't too hot and so I have turned to outdoor shots (quite murky when I took these as you can probably tell). Thing is I have limited space outside and until I can get a nice flat surface measuring 6 x 4 I'm scuppered.

I have been rescuing parts from the recycling bin at work and hope to get building some SciFi pieces soon. Soon as I get started I'll add some WiP.

(Got my camera back!)

Thanks for looking and have a great week folks!

AD

Really good-looking board you've got there! Looks quite realistic!

Sorry to hear about the camera though...

There is nothing quite like a painted table filled with painted models.
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

Covering Fire: thank you very much. Glad you like it. Camera sorted

Daniel36: Cheers. Aye, painted models on a painted board. Been dreaming of it for years! While we're on the subject......

Had my FIRST game of 40k on the new board last weekend. First game on the new board, only my second game of 40k ever, and the 3 other guys that came round had never played at all.

My dad and two chums came down on Saturday. The plan was to learn the rules together as we went. I knew it would be slow going but....... 5 hours with pretty much only the models from AoBR!

Got the basics of it though and by the end I was actually directing my dice rolls as I made my tea (I had to get ready to go see a gig that evening).

Enjoyed it much. Next game in a fortnight. Anyway, enough talk, some edited highlights ......

I had planned on getting some craters done in time for the game but only managed to get them finished yesterday (I'm off work for the week)

I think with the next lot I might try to make them look a little more dramatic as I think these look too static. I was thinking I might add some streaks radiating out withing the crater to make them look more "fresh".

Next up I'll be doing something with these.......

(every time I see that picture I keep thinking it's a toilet with the seat up!)

AD

Wow! I haven't really ever seen the Realm of Battle board used in-game in a photo yet, but I must say. I am more impressed now than I have ever been. Fully painted the board looks really, really good!

Now, some industrial buildings would really finish it off! So get crackin'!

(in no particular order)

I really like the moorland feel to your boards. I think the bleakness fits the setting, and I can completely see the inspiration from the photos showing through in the finished scenery.

Hope to see many mighty deeds enacted on that terrain. Great stuff.

Daniel36: Glad you like it. It was actually pretty straight forward to do. Just took a bit of time is all. If you are at all toying with the idea of getting one then I can recommend it. I kept standing back from it mid-game getting all proud!

Danny Viking: Thank you very much. I had originally intended adding more grass but was glad I ran out of it. I think it is very much a case of "less-is-more". I reckon having the rocky ground with small areas of grass, spotted with tuft has more impact than large fields of static grass. Suits my grim northern temperament

I've been proper busy with work and what not for the last month and so haven't made as much progress with terrain building as I would have liked. I'm not going to fulfill my Tale of Terrain Builders obligation this month. The shame.

This is as far as I have got:

I hacked at the polystyrene packaging to get a rough edge and then added a plasticard base. Because I added lots of sand and gravel to the terrain board I wanted to be sure that when the ruin sat on the board it didn't look like it was floating, so I added a plasticard "lip" underneath running along the edge of the base. This works in much the same way as trimming off the excess plastic that runs around the base of the Games Workshop Moonscape. I then made large blocks/rubble/ruined building by using the foam packing that Wayland Games use. Waste not want not and all that.

I then stuck down some sand with PVA:

I then stuck down some gravel using Araldite (I did this the opposite way round with the RoB board, gravel first, then sand). After that, I used Citadel plastic glue to eat away at some of the flat surfaces showing on the polystyrene. Then, I cut some panels from the treadplate and corrugated pattern plasticard I picked up. Roughed those up a bit and stuck those down with Araldite. Finally, I went over it again with more sand with PVA. Here are a couple of close ups:

Just need to paint it now. Not going to rush it though. I had thought about painting a coat of jesso over some of the areas that look too "polystyreney". However this thought popped into my head about a day after I had generously given my tub of the stuff to a friend painting a wall mural. Ho-hum.

Hopefully I'll get this thing painted within a week or so.

Thanks for looking and have a great week folks.

A D

Finished it!

More to follow......

My first homemade terrain. I think if I use polystyrene packing again I shall give it a coat of gesso to cover the bubbles.

The large block I used as the basis for the ruin came from my job and I have about 9 more in a box in the dungeon. Might make a few more.

I have a friend who has been collecting styrofoam off cuts for me from his work so looking forward to having a crack at that.

A D

"My first homemade terrain."

Well done sir, Quite well done.
    Great job on all the textures,
    and the painted metal and concrete,
    are spot on. the grass tufts make it
    look more like ruins as well,
    and the graphiti is just awesome.
    Congrats on a great piece of terrain.

Wow your board looks brilliant. Kinda wish i'd spotted this before painting mine...

Superb looking board though and your ruined/roky piece is brilliant. Unlike most random polystyrene packing scenery pieces, it doesnt actually look like a random piece of polystyrene.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast